“Okay place, insane prices” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
1,000 bonus reward points
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Aptos
San Francisco
“Okay place, insane prices”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I'm not sure who's crazier -- the person who decided this dump should cost $180 per night, or me for paying it and not demanding my money back.

Even for 1/3 of the price, it would NOT have been worth it. Call me crazy, but I expect to be able to sleep in a relatively quiet room. But the only room they had was right across from the laundry room. And with paper thin walls, this was a huge issue in the morning. Actually it was a huge issue at night as well, since other guests were playing loud music outside until midnight.

When they say Best Western Plus, I they don't mean it's any nicer than a regular Best Western. The plus means "Plus a bunch of weird rules." At the front desk we had to sign a long contract agreeing not to make noise, or they'd charge us extra! Guess those rules didn't apply to whoever was making all the racket at night, or the maids doing laundry while gossiping, or the people who got up at 7AM(!!!) for breakfast and shouting at each other across the patio.

The other rule we had to agree to was not to bring alcohol anywhere except my room and the restaurant. Yet in spite of this rule, the bar was happy to bring beer and cocktails straight to the hot tub for other guests. Again, perhaps nobody else had to agree to these rules but me?

But to end this on a positive note, the hotel's river had a lovely collection of koi fish, and their hot tub was fantastic after pulling a muscle in my neck earlier in the day. I'd never even consider staying here again, but maybe I'd sneak in and use the hot tub.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
washington d.c.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

What a surprise! For a BW, this is a nice place. The grounds were beautiful. It was so nice to sit on the patio with coffee and a book and look out at the garden. The pool is much smaller than it appears on the website, but very relaxing. The restaurant service was not great, but sitting by the waterfall and koi pond makes it seem not so bad.

• Stayed July 2011
Carnelian Bay, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

We have stayed at this property several times. The main draws for us are the lovely grounds, pool and location. Severino's, the onsite restaurant is a close second.

The staff varies from friendly and helpful to less so.; housekeeping is inconsistent but generally good.

Compared with any other property in the area in high season, this is a great value.

Room Tip: Don't think they have elevators in the 6 free-standing buildings; ask for first floor if that is...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Placerville, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Went for a wedding, left in a rush leaving behind fairly new running shoes and iPad. Called back two days later. They claimed they never saw the iPad, and had already donated the shoes (because they donated items left behind on a "regular basis") Although, they had items (including a different pair of running shoes) from over two months before which hadn't yet been donated. I was able to use an application which tracked my iPad's location. To the hotel...not enough. When we stopped by, there weren't even any notes that we had indeed spoken to a housekeeper who did say the shoes had been donated, and never saw the iPad. I thought it strange how fast my stuff was "donated"...to a Seacliff Inn employee assumably. Even providing the name of the housekeeper wasn't enough. I have been visiting Seacliff Beach for 25 years. I have been soured on the area, and now give my generous business elsewhere. I disabled the iPad, and hopefully no one was able to use it again (doubtful). Good luck with Karma. Stealing is wrong. As is lying.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Pleasant Hill, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Very bad experience...Brides beware! I reserved a block of rooms for wedding guests and was told there was a 2 night minimum. I agreed because I was led to believe this was a hotel-wide policy....Not so! Apparently, all other guests not under the "group rate" (which is $2 less per night than the AAA rate) could book one night. My guests called in and mentioned my wedding party; they asked if there was any way that they could have a one-night stay instead of 2. Instead of mentioning that if they didn't book through the group, they could book one night at a similar rate, they were told "No, we can't do that." Needless to say, later another friend did a test, they called to see what rate and minimum they would get if they didn't mention my wedding party. They were quoted a rate $2 more per night than my "special group rate" and were allowed to book for one night. When I called to complain, they didn't offer me an upgrade or provide any real means of making the situation right. When you're planning a wedding you consistently have to second guess prices and shop for vendors, I thought the hotel would be the easiest part, it's turned into a very difficult part.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
seacliff7500, Manager at BEST WESTERN Seacliff Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Dear Edwardsreb,
Thank you for your business with us and for taking the time to share your concerns. We apologize your experience has been less than perfect and certainly share in your disappointment. In 2010 we changed our hotel policy to a two night minimum for weekends during our peak season for all guests. When you booked your group block, there was a two night minimum in place for all guests. After further review, we changed our hotel policy back to one night for individual reservations. Because this policy had just gone into effect, our front desk staff was unaware that guests booking with groups could be offered a one night stay outside of the group at rack rate or AAA rate. I am sorry for any confusion that they may have caused by accidentally quoting you incorrect information. After looking into this matter, my director of sales and catering informed me that she spoke with you and made an exception for your group, and is allowing your guests to book for one night. We assure you, your experience was not typical of the high service standards that we pride ourselves on. Thank you again for your business and for allowing us the opportunity to respond to your concerns.
Best Western Plus Seacliff Inn
Alameda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Located in the middle of all of what Monterey Bay has to offer. Very nice seasoned hotel that has been well kept. Clean rooms and a buffet breakfast.
Will be staying here again and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2010
West Monroe, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

We stayed here for two nights last month and wished we'd had time to stay longer. Our room was affordable and comfortable, and our private "patio" outside the sliding glass door was like our own little oasis--even though it DID overlook a parking lot. But the landscaping tended to hide most of it from view, and it was reassuring to actually be able to see our vehicle from the room. Walking from our room to the restaurant/bar was made all the more pleasant by beautiful landscaping, a quaint bridge over a koi pond with a waterfall, a large swimming pool and hot tub, and a lovely outside seating area for the restaurant and bar. Oh, and the restaurant! Five-star food and service each night! Their chilled artichoke appetizer was the best we've ever had and their seafood selections are super fresh and prepared by a chef who obviously knows what he or she is doing. We were there on "Tasty Tuesday", so there were lots of half-price specials in the restaurant and the bar, plus live music (Johnny Fabulous actually IS pretty fabulous!), which got some amazing people out on the dance floor, and an incredible magician performing "miracles" right before your eyes. Our next visit to the Santa Cruz area will certainly include a few (or four or six) days here. Can't find a single negative about this place!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aptos
Rio Sands Hotel
Hotel Paradox
#14 of 54 in Santa Cruz
4.0 of 5 stars 306 reviews
Hilton Santa Cruz / Scotts Valley

Been to BEST WESTERN Seacliff Inn? Share your experiences!