“Awesome Staycation Vacation for Kids” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rio Sands Hotel

You added Rio Sands Hotel to your Saves list
Rio Sands Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   116 Aptos Beach Drive, Rio Del Mar Beach, Aptos, CA 95003   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Aptos
Scotts Valley, California
“Awesome Staycation Vacation for Kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

My parents visited me approximately 7 months ago. I reserved a room at the Rio Sands for them. What a great place. The room was clean, comfortable and had a kitchenette. The guest services staff were the best my folks ever encountered (and they are travelers). So, my three daughters and I decided to spend spring break at the Rio Sands we live locally just outside of Santa Cruz. We wanted to stay somewhere within walking distance to the beach.So we decide to stay at this motel. Rochelle placed us in a kitchen suite by the pool and bb area. Rochelle told me she knew we would really enjoy our stay. Was she ever right. From start to finish Rochelle and the other guest servises staff were incredible. This place rates as two star motel. I dont know why. All I can say is I give it five plus stars for the service, location and cleanliness. This place really is the hidden gem of Monterey Bay.

Room Tip: If you have kids and want to save a buck; get a kitchenette suite by the pool
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Once again we stayed at the Rio Sands and once again we were very happy with everything from the delicious waffle breakfast to the beautiful room and comfy bed! I loved the fact that the kitchen and living room area is separate from the bedroom. It was easy to keep things quiet when I laid our 11 month daughter down for her nap in the middle of the day. The place is very clean and you can tell it is very well maintained. The kitchen has all the basic stuff you would need to make meals. Dishes, silverware, glasses, hot pads, dish cloths, and even salt and pepper shakers. We stayed in a suite downstairs right by the pool and bar b q pit. I loved walking outside our patio door and right on to the green grassy area. We used the bar b q pit and made tri tip sandwiches. I think the hot tub is bigger than the last time we were there too. It’s the perfect temp. I could have stayed in it all night! All in all, we love this place and will continue to keep coming back.

Room Tip: The downstairs suites by the bbq pit and pool are amazing!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

We stayed here during a busy weekend recently and everything was excellent. We spent the day in Monterey but didn't want to stay there because it was way too busy and way too pricey (PGA Golf Tournament was going on) so we decided to come back to the Rio Sands. It's far enough away to get away from the crowds, and an easy drive. The building has been remodled since we stayed there last and it's looking great. I didn't get a chance to use the bar-b-que area but I saw some other people using it and it's a great idea since there are only a few restaraunts within walking distance. I also didn't get a chance to use the pool or spa this time around, but I did the last time I was there and it's a nice touch. Check-in was easy, staff was friendly, and the room was super comfortable with a tempurpedic mattress and a separate seating area with a couch! I also love the breakfast there. There's lots of variety. Overall it was a great stay and I have no complaints. Will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Morro Bay, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

What a gem....beautiful, spacious,comfortable bed, and super clean. Front desk was very welcoming with kind words and a smile. First time stay for us so couldn't appreciate the remodel but will definitly choose the Rio Sands on our next trip to the area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

I am well familiar with this motel, having grown up in this area. It was built in the mid fifties as a classic motor inn style a block from the Rio Del Mar beach. My aunt used to stay here in the winters, and I remember how...tired...it was. Well, no more! Recently they remodeled and updated and did a wonderful job!
I generally stay in a beach house a few blocks away but it was unavailable. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Rio Sands. I was upgraded to a jr suite at a discounted rate, and it was convenient for me-ground floor right in front of the handicapped parking space I needed. While small, it was spacious enough for me, and had an excellent tempurpedic king bed, comfy sofabed in a spacious living room, and a usable for the basics galley kitchen with micro, coffee maker, full size fridge, and oven/stove. You won't want to cook fancy, but you can make the essentials with ease.
There is a slider to a quiet patio area which opens onto a private to the hotel lovely oasis with pool, spa, waterfall, umbrella'd tables, barbecue pit, trees and grass. The pool and spa were plenty warm even on these chilly winter days.
A block away is the entrance to the beach, and across the street is a small market/deli, restaurants, bars, and the parking lot for the beach. Nearby (driving distance) are grocery stores, a CVS and lots of restaurants. Highway one is a very short distance away. It is a quiet beach compared to Capitola, or Santa Cruz.
Guests may help themselves to free expanded continental breakfast at the end of the building in the banquet room (key required to enter) from 7:30-10. Lovely well appointed room with a fire in the fireplace, soft music, and tablecloths, serving hot waffles, oatmeal, cereal, pastries, boiled eggs, coffee, juice, and fruit.
The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful.
My only complaints were the following: the shower head in the bathroom is so high up (high ceilings) that I could not reach it to adjust it. Likewise, the cabinets in the kitchen with the coffee mugs were so high, I had to use a fork to snare the handle of the cup and pull it down. I also did not like that the maids left the used wet towels and washcloths on the floor/in tub for several days, although they left me fresh ones daily. However, I want to say that this motel was clean as a whistle, impeccably clean from top to bottom.
They have done and amazing job given the age and layout of this motel to make it more upscale and attractive, and very comfortable.
I felt safe, comfortable, and happy here and only wished I could have stayed longer. I will certainly be back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I stayed here in January while apartment hunting in the area. I really, really enjoyed it here and it was a treat to stay here. It is a very easy walk to the beach and there are a few restaurants down by the beach as well. The room was so roomy and comfortable; the bed had a tempurpedic mattress which was especially comfortable; all the staff were very friendly and accommodating. The continental breakfast (in a room with a fireplace) was especially nice and offered many more choices than your average continental breakfast. Raquel, the Guest Relations manager was wonderful. This motel is in a quiet location very much "away" from traffic but also a very quick drive gets you to Soquel Dr. and to all points of interest. I like this motel because it is a bit "off the beaten path" yet close to everything and again, the rooms were exceptionally nice and staff was really wonderful. I did not use the pool but other people were enjoying it even in the somewhat brisk January temps.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Aptos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

It started with the phone call I made to confirm our reservations and ensure we had a first floor room as stairs don't mix well with my back. Raquel, (Guest Svc Mgr) was so friendly! She upgraded us into a first floor room. When we arrived it didn't stop there. The front desk staff was friendly, location to beach, family and amenities all within walking distance..which was great since we had just driven 2 days in a moving truck. The new temper-pedic mattress was SO comfortable; new flat screen TV, wireless Internet. (they had just completed a $2M renovation)
The breakfast room is cozy with a fireplace, an assortment of waffles, sweet rolls, fruits, cereals, and of course, coffee.
When our door would not close, a maintenance person was right there to fix-no waiting!
Our family will return to Rio Sands. Raquel and her staff know the value of customer service! Plus the location is a block or less to the beach and beautiful sunsets!

Room Tip: Rooms on west side 2nd & 3rd floors can see sunset from balcony
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Rio Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!