“Terrible food for a fancy place” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Californian
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
California
“Terrible food for a fancy place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

Seeing the reviews on this site, I setup a first date at this place on July 22. The place was packed and a wait for a table was 10 mins. After 45 mins of waiting at the bar it turned out that the vacant hostess never bothered. Finally when I asked again, I believe it was the owner who helped us find a table.

We ordered fried calamari which turned out to be something heated in a micorwave - stringy and insipid. As I mentioned the place was packed and understandably, it took over 25 mins to get our appetizer. When we finally asked for our main dish, the waitress (who was quite courteous and efficient by the way) told us that she was going to ask them to be prepared. By this time the place was quite empty but for some reason there was more waiting - this time 45 mins to get our food. The food arrived and everything looked good - I ordered Salmon smeared sea bass -until I started eating. I realized that the Sea Bass was only cooked at the edges! In the middle, the food was raw!

Needless to say that the food was bad, the date was a disaster. Being on a date I did not want to create a scene and send the food back or walk out, which I would have gladly done if it were not a date. Later my date told me that her food was bad as well and she was embarrased to mention it. I even had an upset stomach for the few days following the dinner on that day.

So much for a fancy place and a fancy chef - I have made better food on a camping stove! $100 down the drain!

61% Recommend
CA
“Bad experience at Bittersweet”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

Previously attempted to post, but it didn't go through.

Experience was terrible. I took my wife for our anniversary. We spent an hour and a half in the restaurant before we got our food. They lost our order and did little to 'help' us. The manager was not very apologetic and instead came to the table and said "well, we screwed up." He offered to comp my meal which was inedible (I literally took 1 bite and wanted to return it).

My wife's dinner was 'ok.'

I went to the cafe' based on the Frommer and Trip Advisor reference. I'd select The Crepe Place or Hind Quarter instead.