“Best French food outside France” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 62 Restaurants in Aptos
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Bistro
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: State Park Drive
Transit: The Santa Cruz/Watsonville MTA bus #71 and #91 Express drops patrons off within easy walking distance of Au Midi.
New Windsor, New York
“Best French food outside France”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

What a delight. My wife had the salmon which was cooked to perfection while I had the Cassoulet. I lived in Paris for ten years and Au Midi's cassoulet was as good as any I have had in France. For dessert I can recommend the "Floating Island" which we shared. Run entirely by a French couple with a clear passion for the business, this is the real thing. We were in Aptos on vacation from New York so very sad that it's so far away. We'll definitely visit again if we are anywhere near Aptos in the future.

• Visited February 2013

Santa Cruz
“Delicious dinner in a quiet restaurant in Aptos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went for dinner on a Saturday, the restaurant was at capacity so reservations are recommended for weekends for sure. I ordered a small green salad and the pork loin entree. My sweetheart ordered the salmon entree. Both were very fresh and cooked to perfection--absolutely delicious. The salad was fresh and had a light vinaigrette dressing, the bread was baked in house. The photo for the restaurant is up to date and the atmosphere was pleasant. The wine list was adequate but not extensive, especially if you wish to order wines by the glass. The only negative factor was the slow service. There were only two servers working the entire restaurant of about twelve tables resulting in some long delays. The servers were courteous but just a little overwhelmed.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sc
“Hidden French Bistro in Aptos CA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Au Midi is a charming bistro tucked away in a small retail shopping area. It is owned and managed by a French couple. The menu reflects the emphasis on seasonal cuisine in a comfortable setting. I went with a group of 6 for lunch. Five out of six of us chose the crab cake salad and one cauliflower and apple soup with traditional french ham and cheese sandwich. The crab cake was surrounded by fresh mango and bright salad greens with a lime based dressing. The floating island dessert was delicious but the Orange crème brûlée with Grand Marnier ganache, is to die for.
Noise level at lunchtime was our only concern .

• Visited January 2013
Santa Cruz, CA
“Luncheon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I recently hosted a luncheon for 6 and was absolutely delighted at my guest response.
The ambiance is absolutely charming, the service and food was a definite 5 star rating.
We each had a different entree and each was perfection. I had the mushroom soup and a
salad nicoise, which were excellent, someone else had the mussels and could not stop
raving. We were all taking tastes of each others dishes and all I can say is .. Wow !!

This has to be the best restaurant in Aptos and in Santa Cruz County and I can hardly
wait for the next time we dine here. You would have to go to San Francisco or the
wine country to get a meal as fine as this.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Charlottesville, Virginia
“A delicious find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I are in Aptos for a
Funeral and we were looking for a place to
Eat after a long travel day. How lucky we were to find Au Midi. We went early (jet lag) and we were welcomed in with no reservation. It turns out they were fully booked by the time we left but we were never rushed. Everything we ordered was delicious. If I had to pick a
Favorite it would be the cream of
Mushroom soup with just a hint of curry and ginger. It was Spectacular! I had the duck and my Husband had the veal - both were outstanding. I particularly enjoyed the potatoes with fennel. I was surprised how tasty they were. They have very good wine by the glass offerings and the service was perfect. Several Have commented on how reasonably priced everything was. I am
Not familiar with bay area prices but i would say they are Comparable to Washington
DC prices. - Certainly not cheap but appropriate for the quality of food. Our bill for two soups, 2 entrees, 1 dessert and 2 glasses of wine came to 130 including tip.