“Overpriced and Outdated” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Aptos
San Francisco
“Overpriced and Outdated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I recently got married in Aptos and stayed at Seascape Resort both the night before my wedding and my wedding night. The night before I stayed in a two bedroom villa with my seven bridesmaids. Upon first impression, we were thrilled with the size of the villa, and of the view. We were also pleased that the kitchen was stocked with utensils- plenty of cups and plates and anything else we may have needed. All in all, we really enjoyed the two bedroom villa. It was very spacious and we loved the location! It was very isolated and no one seemed to mind when we stayed up much later than we should have, giggling and drinking. The next day I ordered room service for both breakfast and lunch for my bridal party and myself. The food was substandard- very bland and extremely overpriced for the quality.

The following night, my wedding night, my husband and I stayed in a Spa suite, and we were not impressed. The in suite hot tub was the only thing that saved this hotel room. The decor was extremely outdated, and the room was small and had an awkward layout. The room was very long and thin, almost like a train car. It was cold and uninviting. Certainly not a place to spend one's wedding night. The bathroom was dim and gross. Nothing about the room read "Suite" to me. At half the price, I would still have been underwhelmed. The only late night dining option they have is a vending machine in the parking lot. Not very resort-ish, if you ask me.

All in all, my advice is to skip Seascape and stay Seacliff Inn for half the price and an equal amount of charm.

Room Tip: The two bedroom villa is lovely.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Roseville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My family and I have been going to Seascape Resort for the past 4 summers. We rent a 2 bedroom condo which is plenty of space for a family of four. We grocery shop the first day then cook all week. The kitchen is well stocked and the small grill works well. Things we love about the resort is the golf cart rides to and from the beach (great when you are taking a load of items with you), lots of open grass space for family soccer games, walking distance to Seascape village for a cup of coffee or take out pizza, smore's on the beach (they take car of set up, starting fire, and all your supplies), and access to the huge, clean beach for morning shell hunting or afternoon play. Check on line for discounts or ask when making reservations. And, be prepared for your room to be ready at check-in or a little after.

Tip: Bring items like tin foil, zip lock bags and any oil and spices you might need for cooking so you don't have to purchase everything. Also, I recommend bringing beach chairs and a blanket for the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for an end unit or on that walks out to the ground floor.
So-So Cal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Beautiful natural surroundings like the broad beach and spectacular views of Monterrey Bay work very hard to make up for the shortcomings of the Seascape Resort. The phone reservation experience was like a "One Ringy Dingy" comedy bit. There was no effort whatsoever to get us in the room to freshen up for a late afternoon wedding: 4 p.m. check-in means 4 p.m. The design and decor is dated (betcha the architect sported a mullet), and everything's slightly undersized and cramped (except for - oddly enough -- the balcony). Well, the showerhead was nice......
You don't need to stay at the Seascape to walk on the beach or on the bluff and enjoy the view. Stay somewhere else, save the money, and come on over and enjoy the beach.

Vacaville, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

we had a celebration with 7 units rented. Check-in time was missed by at least 30 minutes; manager said they had 100 folks moving in and out -- but they knew that and they should have hired a few extras. The kitchen oven was dirty; the sofa bed sheets had not been changed and had used ban-aids.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had stayed in Seascape over ten years ago and had many good memories. However, this time was bad enough that we will not go back. I'm not even willing to go back if they call and offer me a free room.

We had a 2-BR unit booked and arrived there at 2 pm with our family, which included children. They said the room is not ready, but that check in is at 4 and that they will call us when our room is ready. We were staying at Seascape for an event celebration that was held at Seascape that evening. They said we can change by the pool, and enjoy that while we wait. Well, the changing room/bathroom by the pool is small and not clean, and there is only one. So you have to take turns and wait. It's just also an unpleasant place to change; dark, not much lightning, etc. The water in the pool is fairly cold. Aptos doesn't get hot sun, so they need to keep their pools warmer.

But back to the nightmarish check in. We finally ended up in a room (not our original room), at 4:50 pm!!!!!!! Who has heard of a 4:50 pm check in??. Crazy. There were many unhappy customers in the lobby. and their front desk staff, including the so-called manager repeat the same exact line about housekeeping not being ready. They all seem fake; like machines repeating the same fake line. Businesses know when they are full, so they can plan staff accordingly. Seascape just wants to make money and doesn't hire enough staff.

Additionally the bedding was old and not up to quality for the high rates they charge. I think Seascape used to be a good place, but no more. if you go through the reviews, you can see many negative recent reviews.

I do not recommend this place. Extremely disappointed.

Galt, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I had heard wonderful things about this resort. When the opportunity came up at a fundraiser for a two night stay, my husband and I bought it. I also added an additional night so our family could enjoy a nice getaway. What a joke. This place is a dump. Our room wasn't cleaned during our entire stay. When I called and complained, the front desk staff could have care less. They even said "oh well". They said they would come by and at least pick up the trash. That never happened. When I called again I was told " sorry your disappointed." We ordered room service which was gross and over priced. If your expecting the ham and cheese omelet to be good, forget it. It is a scrambled egg with lunch meat thrown in. Housekeeping cleaned every room around ours, but ours. When I called they said we thought you were in there. "Really? The guy wearing the gold watch and protecting your crappy toiletries and towels saw us leave not to mention the housekeeper looked right at us." They didn't care. The decor for these units is old and cheap. This is worse then a Motel 6. Save your money and go elsewhere. The most discouraging part is the staff is ruining your stay, your paying a ridiculous price for your room and they could care less. Very disappointing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

For several years, we have enjoyed going to the Seascape Resort. However, this trip has been a huge disappointment. The Front Desk service is non-existent, and they are as unhelpful as humanly possible. We waited over 4 hours for our room once we got to the hotel; however, we had a hungry and tired 1 year old, and were still forced to wait for "housekeeping to complete their job." With that said, when we asked for a late check out, they said they have high turn over, so we can't stay later. So we couldn't check in early, we couldn't check out late when we departed, which means they need over 5 hours to clean the room. RIDICULOUS. In addition, the walls are paper thin, so we could hear the family upstairs and the family next door. I'd expect more for a $600/night villa. I agree with the other users, the decor, etc is a joke. But I don't care about any of that. I just want professional customer service who have answers to questions, and can accommodate simple requests. Even though we have been coming for years to Seascape Resort I think we will be trying a new resort in the future.

Room Tip: If the reservations dept gives you a room, please know that you will NOT get that room upon arrival...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SeascapeManagement, Manager at Seascape Resort, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry we were not able to accommodate your request for an earlier check in and that your room was not ready until 3:10pm. As you have experienced in the past, we make every effort to accommodate requests for early check ins and late check outs. Unfortunately this was not possible during this visit due to other guest requests. Please know that we take your comments to heart and we will share your feedback with all of our staff members. We do hope that you reconsider and will visit us again.

Been to Seascape Resort? Share your experiences!