MotoVentures - Dirt First Motorcycle Day Rides, Day Tours, and Trials
San Francisco, California
9 attraction reviews
“Awesome experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

My dad and I went to Motoventures for two days and we both learned a ton and had lot of fun. The first day it was snowing (!!) which apparently happens very rarely there. Despite the snow and cold, we had a great time and rode all day, the weather just made it more of an adventure. I am a 13 year old girl, and I've rode before but I'm not very experienced, and I got a lot out of this trip that I will be able to practice a lot to get better at. Gary and Rob, the two instructors, were very helpful and took us through many useful exercises. Throughout these they gave us constant tips to help improve our technique. There was a good balance between the exercises and trail rides in which we could practice the skills and put them to use. Being only 13, on trail rides I tended to lag behind from the group at times. Rob was very helpful however, and stayed behind to help me if I fell, needed to speed up, or get through a tricky part of the trail. The food and snacks (and chocolate!) were good, and it was fun to talk to Gary and Rob during breaks. It was also super cool to see them do tricks and jumps because they are really good. It was a great experience and I can't wait go back!

red deer, alberta
“Skill development, safety, and fun. It's the complete package.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I were travelling to Palm Springs. We were looking for a way to learn to how to ride a dirt bike properly. We are experienced street bike riders, but not familiar with dirt bikes. We took the two day ultimate course, and it was great.

We drove out a on the palm to pines highway (which is a fun, twisty road). Anza was easy to get to in about an hour. MotoVentures was just west of the casino, on the north side of the road.

The training area is ideal for learning how to ride a dirt motorcycle. They have a flat area for basic skill development (proper turning technique, braking, riding standing up, etc.). They have terrain for hill skills (how to handle your bike if you don't make it to the top of hill, riding sideways, turning, judging traction, etc.). Then they have terrain for some more advanced skills (riding in sand) and for some very fun trail riding.

Gary (and the other instructors, Brandon & Rob) are not just great riders. They are great instructors. They know how to explain the target skill, step-by-step. They can demonstrate and exaggerate the target skills. And they can watch you with focus on what you are not doing properly. Gary has written a great book, with high quality photos illustrating skills. The book is a fine example of his professionalism.

Food and beverages were provided at breaks and lunch.

We had a great time. Skill development, safety, and fun. It was the complete package.

PS. I wish how I could figure out how to link this review under "Palm Springs Things-To-Do", because it is close enough to count.

Kent and Sandi

Visited January 2013
MotoVentures, Owner at MotoVentures - Dirt First Motorcycle Day Rides, Day Tours, and Trials, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Kent and Sandi,
Thank you for the wonderful review. We are glad you had a great experience. Hope to see you again soon.
Gary
Nashville, Tennessee
9 attraction reviews
“Wonderful experience, not just for the boys”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

My wife, daughters and myself attended a one day program in November. It was a fantastic day! My wife (47) and daughters (15 and 17) had never been on a motorcycle or dirt bike before. Gary and Rob (one of the instructors) were fantastic. The instruction was in-depth, fun, safe and moved along at the pace of the group. Within a few hours they were riding really well. The equipment is new, and very reliable. I had ridden a street bike for years and was in another group. Once again it was challanging for me, but that is what I wanted. It was a ton of fun. It was the highlite of our trip to California. They took a few breaks, provided lunch and snacks (which were good). They provide everything you need for the day. Come as you are. Before we arrived Gary spoke with us on the phone to ask us about our experience, fears etc. He was very supportive and made sure he knew exactly what we needed for a fun and safe day. We spent the night before in Temecula, and it was an easy 30-40 minute drive to Motoventures the next morning. The scenery is also beautiful in this area of California.

Visited November 2012
Thanks for the nice review you wrote on TripAdvisor last month. Hope to see you back here soon.
Big Bear, California
“If you ride dirt or street, or want to, this is the best of all the training programs I've tried.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I've been to the California Superbike School and other great training programs, but MotoVentures was my favorite. Gary LaPlante and his guys are great teachers, and have first-class equipment, and have the perfect "riding ranch" for enhancing your skills, whatever level you're starting at.

Professional roadracers have taken lessons from Gary, so don't get the idea that you already know it all. You don't. I've been riding dirt and street since I was 12, and I learned a ton. Sometimes, you just need to *undertand* what your body already knows.

My son and daughter loved it too. The wife was too big a chicken, but she had fun at the local wineries!

Just do it. It may be the best few bucks you ever spend.

Visited September 2012

Been to MotoVentures - Dirt First Motorcycle Day Rides, Day Tours, and Trials? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage MotoVentures - Dirt First Motorcycle Day Rides, Day Tours, and Trials, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.