“Dog Friendly!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Angels Camp
Hollister, California
“Dog Friendly!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

nice comfortable room, save location, close to businesses, restaurants & shops.would stay here again, especially with Rover!it was a very good value, and they had an area to walk dogs.next time I put pass this way, I will very much consider staying here.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
chico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have stayed at the "Frog" several times now when I am travelling for business and have not been disappointed ever. Depending upon the time of year, the value is always good, whether it be 40. in the off season or 68. in the high season. The hotel was built in about 1947 or so but it is perfectly clean, clean , clean I thought. Brand new pillow top mattresses and Chris the manager is a great guy and always treats me with a smile and kindness. The rooms are small because of the age of the hotel but I have found it to be very comfortable always. It was very hot in Angels this last weekend but the AC worked great. I gave the motel a 5 because Chris and his wife has turned this motel into a property that has reached it's highest and best use because of their continual and dedicated work on the property. I have stayed at almost every hotel in the Calaveras area and you can spend more somewhere else but I doubt you will get all that much more in quality to justify the expense. It is alittle small if you have older kids but is great for single or couples on a budget. I found no fault with this little hotel for the price...I don't know about other peoples problems with their reviews, I found no evidence of ants and other critters and all of the mechanical things in the rooms that I have stayed in at this motel worked perfectly. Yes, I will stay there again...I found it to be cozy, clean and a great location for my needs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Generally, when looking over hotel reviews, I ignore the ones that seem snarky or over exaggerated. However, our experience at this motel was so ridiculous that I hope you give it some thought before booking. The owner was helpful at check in. The price seemed a little high ($68+tax), but in the dark the place looked cozy. Upon entering the room, however, we were more shocked than anything. I had flashbacks to summer camp cabins and my significant other to some hunting lodges at which he had stayed. My SO said he was gonna retreat to the bucket seat in his '79 Bronco and he'd see me in the morning. :) If it hadnt been so late, we would have left then. To keep it brief: water soaked carpet, ants in windows and around bathroom sink, very cold in the bathroom, hairs on the pillow cases, very old and dirty blanket and bedspread, smelled like a flea collar, heater was inconsistently effective and loud, shower head was like the end of a pipe fitting. The age of everything wouldn't have been a big deal had everything been clean. It was, simply, a very unpleasant experience. In the morning, I told the owner about the ants and he was not surprised. I told him that the room was filthy and he said nothing. I asked him if they used flea powder in the room and he said they used it on the carpet in all the rooms. (Do I now need a flea bath?!) When I asked what he could do on the rate, he said it was fair. I was so embarrassed for him, I just left. If the rate was $35, I'd say go for it. However, I'd save yourself the unpleasantness!!!

• Stayed February 2013
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in a bit if a family emergency. Checked in around 10pm with my two small children. One small little bed for us to squeeze into, but sheets were clean. I had stepped outside the door while my children were sleeping to talk on the phone and the door shut and locked behind me. Keys were inside so I went to the office and told the man what I had done( on accident ) he was pissed off! He said " it's 10:45 this won't be happening again" I said sir I'm very sorry it was an accident I didn't realize the doors automatically lock. He walked over and let me in and walked away making me feel like a pain in the butt not like a paying guest. There was also no bathtub just a small box tiled stand up shower and a freezing bathroom. Not great if you have kids. And the shower head looked like it was supposed to be hooked to a garden hose not for a shower. Anyways other than that the remote worked! If you have a little extra money then find somewhere else that will be worth the stay.

• Stayed March 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

clean sheets, dirty blankets and bed covers, ceiling a total mess, water dripped all night in shower, turned the shower on and the shower head flew across the room ( plastic head cracked all the way down the side).
Wall heater/air conditioner, loud and cycled on and off all night.
We would not recommend this place and we would not return.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere..............
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Winters, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have stayed at this motel, off and on, for a year and a half. I feel as it is a great value for the money. It has always been clean and comfortable, and the staff has gone out of their way to make me feel at home. The motel itself is very quaint, just 1 block off of the main road, keeping it a little quieter than most. It is an older motel, drawing on the theme of Mark Twain's "Jumping Frogs Of Calaveras County". The Gold Country of Calif. has always been a big tourism draw, but I only look for a clean, inexpensive, motel for the night. I have never been disappointed in all of my stays. My travels are going to take me away from this area, but if I should ever be back, I would drive the extra distance just to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a "California King"
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Antioch
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Looking for a clean, inexpensive room in the Gold Country? I was, and was pleased with the experience I had at the Jumping Frog Motel. I loved the retro look of the little courtyard, the tiled shower, and there was even an old bottle opener mounted in the bathroom. If you want a big screen TV, wireless access, or luxury, go elsewhere. If you want a quiet night's sleep for the lowest price around, this place is it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Jumping Frog Motel? Share your experiences!