“Please Avoid at All Costs” 1 of 5 stars

You added Jumping Frog Motel to your Saves list
Jumping Frog Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   330 Murphy's Grade Rd., Angels Camp, CA 95222   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Angels Camp
“Please Avoid at All Costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Generally, when looking over hotel reviews, I ignore the ones that seem snarky or over exaggerated. However, our experience at this motel was so ridiculous that I hope you give it some thought before booking. The owner was helpful at check in. The price seemed a little high ($68+tax), but in the dark the place looked cozy. Upon entering the room, however, we were more shocked than anything. I had flashbacks to summer camp cabins and my significant other to some hunting lodges at which he had stayed. My SO said he was gonna retreat to the bucket seat in his '79 Bronco and he'd see me in the morning. :) If it hadnt been so late, we would have left then. To keep it brief: water soaked carpet, ants in windows and around bathroom sink, very cold in the bathroom, hairs on the pillow cases, very old and dirty blanket and bedspread, smelled like a flea collar, heater was inconsistently effective and loud, shower head was like the end of a pipe fitting. The age of everything wouldn't have been a big deal had everything been clean. It was, simply, a very unpleasant experience. In the morning, I told the owner about the ants and he was not surprised. I told him that the room was filthy and he said nothing. I asked him if they used flea powder in the room and he said they used it on the carpet in all the rooms. (Do I now need a flea bath?!) When I asked what he could do on the rate, he said it was fair. I was so embarrassed for him, I just left. If the rate was $35, I'd say go for it. However, I'd save yourself the unpleasantness!!!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in a bit if a family emergency. Checked in around 10pm with my two small children. One small little bed for us to squeeze into, but sheets were clean. I had stepped outside the door while my children were sleeping to talk on the phone and the door shut and locked behind me. Keys were inside so I went to the office and told the man what I had done( on accident ) he was pissed off! He said " it's 10:45 this won't be happening again" I said sir I'm very sorry it was an accident I didn't realize the doors automatically lock. He walked over and let me in and walked away making me feel like a pain in the butt not like a paying guest. There was also no bathtub just a small box tiled stand up shower and a freezing bathroom. Not great if you have kids. And the shower head looked like it was supposed to be hooked to a garden hose not for a shower. Anyways other than that the remote worked! If you have a little extra money then find somewhere else that will be worth the stay.

• Stayed March 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

clean sheets, dirty blankets and bed covers, ceiling a total mess, water dripped all night in shower, turned the shower on and the shower head flew across the room ( plastic head cracked all the way down the side).
Wall heater/air conditioner, loud and cycled on and off all night.
We would not recommend this place and we would not return.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere..............
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Winters, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have stayed at this motel, off and on, for a year and a half. I feel as it is a great value for the money. It has always been clean and comfortable, and the staff has gone out of their way to make me feel at home. The motel itself is very quaint, just 1 block off of the main road, keeping it a little quieter than most. It is an older motel, drawing on the theme of Mark Twain's "Jumping Frogs Of Calaveras County". The Gold Country of Calif. has always been a big tourism draw, but I only look for a clean, inexpensive, motel for the night. I have never been disappointed in all of my stays. My travels are going to take me away from this area, but if I should ever be back, I would drive the extra distance just to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a "California King"
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Antioch
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Looking for a clean, inexpensive room in the Gold Country? I was, and was pleased with the experience I had at the Jumping Frog Motel. I loved the retro look of the little courtyard, the tiled shower, and there was even an old bottle opener mounted in the bathroom. If you want a big screen TV, wireless access, or luxury, go elsewhere. If you want a quiet night's sleep for the lowest price around, this place is it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012 via mobile

Bed sheets covering the sofa. This place reminded me of a basement apartment during my college years. Luckily, I was given a refund. I have never given a negative review before. STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed June 2012
Copperopolis, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

My son visited me while on leave - after spending a year in Afghanistan and booked a reservation at this motel. Being a good soldier, my son rarely complains and doesn't take even the simplest convenience for granted (he lived without plumbing and sewage at an outpost in the Afghanistan mountains during his last deployment - so when I say my son has no problem "roughing it" I am not kidding). The room cost $70 per night - even for an active duty serviceman (there is a beautiful Best Western down the road that is only $100). The hotels decor is dated at best and the locks on the door look like they could be broken by a small child.The water temperature and pressure were non existent during the day (presumably turned down to save money) and if my son was not in the room - they would enter and UNPLUG the refrigerator - EVEN WHEN THERE WAS FOOD IN IT!!!! That goes beyond penny pinching to down right borderline health violations. It may be an ok place to spend one night then beeline it for the door in the am - but anything longer and you will be sorry!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here - spend $30 more and go a mile down main street
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Jumping Frog Motel? Share your experiences!