“Great bang for your buck” 5 of 5 stars

Jumping Frog Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   330 Murphy's Grade Rd., Angels Camp, CA 95222   |
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Angels Camp
Santa Cruz, CA
“Great bang for your buck”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

A read the reviews, including the bad ones, but my other choices were booked so I took a chance. Glad I did. Motel is an oldie but a goodie. First, the negatives ... small room; small TV. And if you like soft, cushy beds, look elsewhere. Now, the positives. Really, are you going to the gold country to watch TV? Anyhow, the check-in service was quick and friendly. Grounds are well kept with nice flowers, lawn area with tables, BBQ. Room was really clean. Not dingy at all, but quite nice! And no "motel disinfectant" odor, or any odor for that matter. Bed is firm, and pillows were nice and firm, not the crappy useless foam things you often see. Air conditioner was in a little cubby / closet, which I liked. It could be going full blast but because it wasn't right next to me in the room, it wasn't obtrusive. It was a step up from the usual window units. Oh, and it cooled the room. Bathroom was clean, with plenty of towels. Shower still had the multi-colored tiles from when the place was built, I'm sure. But it was clean, and the hot/cold controls worked perfectly. Shower head wasn't particularly high, but high enough. I really care about showers. I probably shouldn't comment on the noise, because I must have had quiet neighbors on both sides. I fully expected to hear them, but didn't. You won't get the little shampoo bottles here, but there was tissue (take that, Motel 6). You can park right next to your room; no long walk, no stairs; your vehicle is 10 feet away from your front door. Clearly, the owners have upgraded things which needed upgrading. If you don't need a big room, or a cookie cutter motel, try this if you're on a budget. Look, I've stayed at the Chateau Saint Martin on the French Rivera, and this ain't it, but I grade places based on their cost, and this place is so cheap that it's an easy decision to make when I want to visit the Columbia / Angels Camp / Sonora area again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Miles City, MT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Was going to just walk-in and stay here, seemed ok from the outside. But upon looking at the room decided not to stay. Out dated is one thing... but this place was downright scary. The tiniest TV I've ever seen for sure. Dingy, dusty, dirty... Backed out and went up 49 a bit to stay at the Angels.
If you just want a place to stay and don't have the money to stay elsewhere, this would be ok.. but don't expect ANTYHING in return but 4 walls and a bed with broken springs.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We just needed a place to sleep after the Sonora Music Festival. We rolled in around 10pm and walked into a stifling room. After opening the windows and cranking up the AC (which inexplicably was situated in the closet), the room did cool down and was comfortable for sleeping.

This is place is not fancy and could benefit from some updating, but it was clean. The furniture was worn, but the only really bad thing for me was the hardest pillow that I have ever slept on. I don't know how a pillow can be that hard, and maybe I don't want to know! Other than that, the bed was comfy. It served the purpose of being an inexpensive place to sleep and made it easy for us to get to Big Trees the next morning.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Wa.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

All I truly require is clean and reasonable. I try to find a place that is a bargain, so I can travel more often! :)
Jumping Frog Motel is an older mom and pop place. Friendly and helpful owners. Quiet area. Small but very adequate, clean, comfy, and a good value.
I would stay again, if in the area. But, it is a LONG drive to Yosemite, we found out! The road to Yosemite was very steep and curving! We'd stay in Mariposa next time, which we actually did the 2nd night.

Room Tip: A tip for better wi-fi service, sit by the window!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Our room was large and comfortable. We enjoyed the quiet courtyard in the middle of the motel. The owners were very friendly. We'd definitely stay again when in the area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Spokane, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

We had trouble finding a place to stay in the area due to several special events. Another hotel referred us here. This is an inexpensive mom-and-pop spot, very basic. The shower in our room had a dizzying arrray of different tiles! The staff was friendly and helpful. We left a treasured item behind and they were diligent in getting it back to us. This is not a fancy place, but if you need a clean, utilitarian place to spend the night, it's great. The pizza place a block away is fantastic!

No hairdryer, shampoo in a little packet. Our room had a fridge, our friends' room did not.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Penryn, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

We go with a group of friends and take the entire motel for the weekend. The owners are so kind to us. Always so hospitable. Thank you for letting us stay. Its so quiet there in your great town of Angels Camp. When you visit there are lots of things to see and do very close by. My husband and I are looking forward to our next visit. Thank you again. Sharon and Harley Jones from Penryn, California

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Jumping Frog Motel? Share your experiences!