“We stayed two nights at the hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gaia Hotel & Spa, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

You added Gaia Hotel & Spa, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member to your Saves list
Gaia Hotel & Spa, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4125 Riverside Place, Anderson, CA 96007 (Formerly Gaia Shasta Hotel & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Anderson
GreenLeadersGold level
San Jose, CA
“We stayed two nights at the hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed two nights at the hotel while we were visiting the Lassen National Park and Burney Falls. What a great little place! We had a nicely decorated, spacious room with a king bed. There were sliding glass doors that opened to a little private patio from where we could watch people swimming. There is no restaurant close by so we ate the the Woodside Grill, which is adjacent to the hotel. The prices are reasonable, the food was great. We were there on Friday and Saturday night and on both nights there was live music. There is free wi-fi in the lobby. If you need a fridge and microwave, please call first as not all rooms have them. In all, a great little find. Although it is right off Hwy 5, there was no traffic noise. The landscape is native and drought-tolerant, but could use an overhaul. It looks unkempt.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
SF Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Got a room here for less than the Holiday Inn Express and other similar-level hotels. Even when you factor in the cost of eating breakfast in their restaurant the next morning, it was still less expensive.

This hotel is in a rock and a hard place. Folks looking for eco-friendly will criticize the things that make it not so (ie: a/c; etc.), while folks used to the chain hotels will criticize some of the differences compared to other chain hotels this one has put in to try and reduce their carbon footprint (ie, they have toiletries, but they are in dispensers rather than travel size containers; no elevators to the second floor rooms, etc.).

Had I paid more for this room, I probably would have expected more. But, for what I paid I was satisfied. The towels are fluffy, the beds are very comfortable, it was very clean, the room stayed cool all night, the room had a fridge too. I saw that some first floor rooms included a patio area; the ones overlooking the ponds had chaise lounges, while the ones overlooking the bike path/freeway/train tracks people had clothes drying on them.

The rooms are in one of two or three round buildings. Each room has a unique number and name. The buildings looked alike so it was easy to confuse Building A and B when looking for your room, even though the front desk gives you a map. Each building has an ice dispenser (with a water fountain attached) and concession dispenser on the first floor. The second floor bathrooms contain solartube lights.

The pool is very kid friendly, probably overly so given the time of year we were there (mid-August when Redding is HOT). The fitness center is minimal (one treadmill, one recumbent bike, one elliptical, one fitness ball, and one yoga mat; no weights), but the room was large so while someone was using the machines I could do my own thing in the back of the room. There was a paved bike and/or pedestrian path across the property too.

My kids said this was their favorite hotel we stayed in on this family vacation. I think that was because they did not enforce any sort of minimum age requirements for using the pool and fitness room. So they could go unsupervised to both if I choose to let them. But, best of all, they could actually use the fitness room, which most chains prohibit.

My one big complaint was not being informed that there were no elevators, being given a second floor room, and having luggage carts available in the lobby; this combination set me up to anticipate an elevator and to be sorely disappointed when it was not there. For my kids and I this was not an issue, but there were some older guests who may have had a problem getting up and down the stairs easily. Little things that bothered me were: blackout draped only, no privacy drapes to let light in (as in many other hotels); no nightlight in the bathroom, but the "sleep" button on the clock-radio was very bright (we had to cover it up).

If we had to go back to Redding overnight, I'm not sure if I would stay here again or not. If we could get the room for less than the like-priced chains to cover the cost of breakfast out, then definitely we'd stay here; otherwise, I might go back to the budget Travelodge with their voucher to Lumberjack's.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ponds; the fountains provide white noise to block out any noisy guests. A...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

This was our fourth or fifth stay at Gaia. It's a peaceful oasis to break up a long road trip from L.A. To Seattle. Located a little south of Redding, it's a welcome change from the monotony of normal roadside offerings made by the national chains. The hotel and grounds were constructed to be sustainable and green practices are visible and viable. Food and service in the restaurant were very good, and an evening walk through the grounds is a good break from a day in the car. We'll be back.

• Stayed August 2012
Palm Harbor, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

The room was quite large and the bed was comfortable. I couldn't complain about the noise as it was almost empty. The room was clean and had the normal amenities like soap, coffee, microwave, fridge, hairdryer, etc. It was nice to have the bigger towels and extra ones (not the cheap scratchy ones like Motel 6)

If you're in to water ponds with lots of algae and dead grass due to not being watered and "sparse" landscaping, then this is the place for you. The grounds have a "tired", lack of maintenance feel about them.

I enjoyed the bar/restaurant and it appeared to be about half guests and half locals. The staff knew all the regulars and were friendly to everyone. The clam chowder (Fridays only) was excellent. Good choice of wines, although it was limited to only California wines. (part of their "green" program to get everything within a reasonable distance from the hotel)

It was over 100 degrees when I was there so I was glad the airconditioner worked so well. Maybe just me, but I went by it when I came off the freeway as the signage is not that great. Lots of free parking.

Room Tip: The pool is at the rear of the restaurant/meeting room building if you want to be close or avoid it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Bandon, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed in a handicapped room, had two wonderful swims, a great sleep in a comfy king-sized bed, appreciated the refrigerator (and microwave) (both of which are in every room), but the bathroom floor was very slippery. I fell down. I called the manager (Peter), and he was outstanding in his response to me and my suggestion they do something with the flooring. He appreciated my calling his attention to this problem, and I was highly appreciative of his response. We are staying there again on our way to visit my husband's family. Great half-way point.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Corning, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed here for a friends Wedding. The Wedding ceramony was in a beautiful spot near the Sacramento River. The hotel is considered "Green", meaning they don't have landscaping every thing is natural. I am not a fan of moss in the water falls, tall weed grass and that type of landscaping so I wasn't impressed. The room was very large and had the basics. I felt it was a little dark and the view was the freeway, but for the purpose we were there, it was fine. If you are traveling on Interstate 5, and need a place to stay, it is clean, and nice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Burney,Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We have stayed here before and gave it a very good review, but things have changed. First off the chain that owns the hotel went bankrupt and now the bank is running things. There seems to be less maintenence taking place and it shows. The pond is starting to smell and there were a lot of swan mess on the sidewalks. The patios outside the rooms are starting to fall apart and the place just isn't as clean as it used to be. That being said, it is still a good option for the Redding/Anderson area. The front desk is always helpful and the onsite restaurant "Woodside Grill" is usually very good. The rates are very good for the area and being near the freeway is convenient as long as your not on the noisy side of the hotel. We have started staying at the Oxford Suites in Redding lately and only chose the Gaia because of the lower rate and the fact that we wanted to eat at Woodside Grill. Hopefully someone will take it back over and start giving it some TLC again. It's nice to have one of the few LEED certified hotels in the countries to stay at but the place needs to careful not to let it get rundown much more than it has.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the pond or at least away from I-5 and maybe upstairs to avoid the room ful...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Gaia Hotel & Spa, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member? Share your experiences!