“Amazing...I didn't hate this place! I think I LIKED it!” 5 of 5 stars

Disneyland Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1150 Magic Way, Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Ranked #8 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Amazing...I didn't hate this place! I think I LIKED it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Over the years visiting Disneyland we have stayed at multiple hotels both in and out of the Disney resort area. In general I have disliked every single hotel. Of the Disney resort hotels--IMO the Disneyland Hotel is by far the best especially when you take into account value for money spent. The Grand Californian is a total ripoff and the rooms aren't nearly as nice as the Disneyland Hotel and pool is not remotely as nice. The Paradise Pier Hotel is basically a 2 star rat hole. We've also stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge at Disney World which was really really disappointing.

So we finally decide to try the Disneyland Hotel and I had very low expectations going in having been so jaded by bad Disney hotel experiences. It was refurbished not too long ago, and when we got to our room I really couldn't believe I was at a Disney hotel. It was nice! We were in the tower closest to Downtown Disney which was convenient, and we had a pool facing view which was nice. The room had comfortable beds with fitted sheets! Don't take that for granted even if you are shelling out $300+ per night at Disney. The towels weren't old and ratty, and the room was spacious! The wall above the beds had a built-in decorative light display which lights up and plays Disney music and turns different colors--awesome! The kids loved it--great to fall asleep or slowly wake up to. The bathroom was actually spacious and had a good working shower head. The toiletries were grapefruit flavored. I was amazed.

We stayed there for three days and enjoyed the convenient access to the theme parks. This hotel is more conveniently located than the Paradise Pier but less conveniently located than the Grand Californian (really the only real redeeming quality of that place). The quickest way to each park is to walk through the Grand if going to California Adventure and via the Downtown Disney monorail station to Tomorrowland if going to Disneyland. Great location overall.

The pool area of the Disneyland Hotel is awesome. It's like a mini water park with two bigger slides and a couple smaller slides. Not sure when they built this, but it is so much better than the dinky little waterslide at the Grand Californian. Our older kids 10 and 12 really enjoyed it. They provide life jackets of all sizes poolside which was awesome because we forgot to bring our two year old's. There was no height or age restriction to go down the water slides! Sweet! The lines get crowded midday, but in the mornings and evenings not bad at all. Lastly, the hotel has a character buffet--Goofy's kitchen. Like all other Disney Buffets it's just rotten value, but they have characters running around so the little ones enjoy it. We liked breakfast at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney much better!

Overall, I think this hotel is not only EASILY the best value of all the Disneyland resort hotels, it is also the best Disney hotel outright. By far the best we've ever stayed at. It'll be our go to hotel for all future Disneyland trips for sure.

Room Tip: Stay in tower closest to Downtown Disney--every step closer = less sore feet!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Al Davis first created the famous quote” Commitment to Excellence” unfortunately the Disneyland hotel does not understand the word Commitment. In simplest definition is a promise to do or give something. When your family is treated so badly by staff at the hotel and management does not care about you as an individual but rather than a bunch of dollar signs then it’s time to leave. We left our family vacation 2 days early because of the piss poor negative attitudes we received from the hotel staff. Furthermore the happiest place on earth is their catch phrase. I can honestly confirm that they are full of crap! They ruined our family vacation in which we will NEVER stay at a Disneyland hotel again. Some friendly advice to everyone go stay at a good neighbor hotel they will treat you better!

Lynnwood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We arrived early before our room was ready. The bell service checked our luggage so that we could go directly to the parks. Later when we returned to the hotel our luggage was promptly delivered to our room. What wonderful friendly service!
Just newly renovated, we were impressed by the new decor, the hallway carpets and the attention to detail, especially all of historical elements including Walt Disney and Disneyland. They have some amazing photos at every corner, on every wall, a time capsule of how it all started and how the legacy continues on.
We had a room with a nice view of the surrounding area but our favorite thing was the headboard of the bed, as silly as it sounds, it has a light-up castle and a miniature firework show that lit up with music playing "When you wish upon a star...". It was magical, it just added to the fun and fantasy.
Housekeeping was very flexible, coming when requested at our convenience. The restauants in the hotel were wonderful. We went to Goofy's Kitchen for a character dining experience and Steakhouse 55 for fine dining. The Steakhouse 55 turned out to be our favorite restaurant in all of the Disneyland Resort. The pool area was clean with attendants constantly in the area. The new Monorail pool slides were a nice addition as well.
On leaving the hotel, the bell service held our luggage until the time came for us to leave the resort.

Room Tip: Pick a room on a higher floor if you appreciate good views of the surrounding area.
Yakima, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have to say, I've wanted to stay here for over 20 years (since I was 11 years old) and finally got my dream this week!

The renovations are wonderful. The pool area and lobby made the hotel a true resort experience.
The pool area was better than going to a water park: clean, orderly, towels, life vest floats for the little ones, lifeguards who actually were a lot of fun and kind. And nice bathrooms, floral areas and trees, and lighting. The whole area is gorgeous. The spa at night was not to be beat. I especially loved looking at the tikki torches at the restaurants above. Very lovely. Nicer than the Polynesian resort at WDW FL.

The headboards were really pretty, but unfortunately, ours looked like it wasn't dusted in a week. Same with the other dark woods in the bath. Dusty.

Housekeeping didn't dump the limited trash can (2 tiny cans for a family?) and the amount of towels and coffee cups were also not enough. Soaps were not replenished. Housekeeping was, as others have said, substandard, especially for a Disney resort. This was the worst part of the whole operation. They also knocked on our door very early, prior to 8:30 am.

The other issue was that I was woken at 4:30 am by a loud shrub trimmer being used 6 floors below in Downtown Disney. It was so loud it vibrated the plate glass 6 floors up. The noise was subtle but a loud vibrating, like your phone going off from 4 am to 5 am. So, I couldn't sleep all morning.

Bell hops were great, front desk were curt but finally helpful with the map. Parking and valet were a source of frustration.

Use of Grand Californian not so grand at all. Faster to just go through Downtown Disney.

"Extra Early Magic"...I'm really angry that only a small fraction of the park and staff were operational. And they claimed that all the rides that were in open areas, rides in high demand were not working the entire hour. Rides that were running were half staffed. So wait time was double. Disney is not fully staffed, so it should be called "Halloween Disney Ghost Town of Budget and Staff Cuts." Don't count on this. It ruined my whole experience, a real fraud that tarnished my trip for three full days. So don't stay here on property for that "extra hour" of nothing.

The real upside was the pool and waterslides, Steakhouse 55, andthe ability to have purchases sent to the bell desk. the view was also awesome.

Room Tip: Higher floors to avoid noise from workers at ground level at 4 am!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

we started our Disney vacation at a cheaper family hotel in Anaheim which was great.

I had always wanted to stay at the quintessential Disney Hotel - it just seems so authentic & magical.

We were not disappointed.

Our reasons for staying here were to -
* have a few days of full Disney immersion
* pay homage to the 'origins' of Disney
* treat ourselves to a slightly more luxurious property
* enjoy the benefits of staying in a Disney hotel (ie early entry)

We found the staff to be excellent.

Sure the restaurant prices were too high for us to justify; but by this time we knew some great places to eat nearby & our kids are old enough that a photo of Goofy is just as good as sitting in his restaurant ;)
That was fine by us.

The room was lovely & spacious, with enough Disney touches to feel like we were in the Disney experience; yet elegant enough that it just didn't feel crass.

Our experience was fantastic; and having early entry to the parks every day of our stay, along with the fulfilling of a long-held dream certainly made the price seem justified to this happy family!

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

So I booked my stay for August for 2 days and my parents were with us. I paid about 400 bucks so 200 a night to be closer to the park and not to mention it was half the price of the grand hotel. The rooms are old, junky and Honestly, The motels across the street are nicer. Like the knights inn and the carousel. The beds were hard and the rooms small. Room service food was crappy and well, it was just a waste! I took my girls to the spa at the Grand Hotel which was gorgeous. I'm sure the rooms were worth it, but I was being cheap. I wish I just spent the money because I had it, but I try to be money savvy because after all you just sleep in the room right? Well if you can call sleeping on beds that feel like rocks and I'm in the Flinstone era.. I say stick with outside motels...

Room Tip: The room with the view of the park is ideal for fireworks, if you do want to stay at this poor hotel...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Newberg, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is our second stay at the Disneyland Hotel. It was big decision, because I wanted to try The Grand Disneyland Hotel, its closer, it just looks very nice. I ended up choosing The Disneyland Hotel, we had such a great visit in 2011, and I really wanted to stay again. It was worth it, we made the right choice. As we checked in, it was fast, the gentleman who checked us in was great, we got upgraded to an upper level with a great view of the park, we could see the fireworks at night. I have to tell you it was my granddaughter birthday, so that may have helped us get a upgrade. We continued to get such excellent surprise’s, next he bought out, to my granddaughter a picture that Meredith signed (Brave), she just turned four and she was so excited. The size of the rooms are very nice, we had two nice comfy beds, beautiful comforters on the beds, nice flat screen TV, oh yes the headboards lit up with music, a fridge, a desk. The windows are full length to the floor, you really could sit and watch all day of all the excitement going on, but who could miss all the fun. So if you ever go and you are celebrating a birthday get a badge at the ticket office and wear it, it’s so nice when every wishes you a happy birthday. If you also get a chance stay up on the higher floors, great views.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Disneyland Hotel? Share your experiences!