“Broken Promises” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 111 hotels in Anaheim
Phoenix, Arizona
“Broken Promises”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Al Davis first created the famous quote” Commitment to Excellence” unfortunately the Disneyland hotel does not understand the word Commitment. In simplest definition is a promise to do or give something. When your family is treated so badly by staff at the hotel and management does not care about you as an individual but rather than a bunch of dollar signs then it’s time to leave. We left our family vacation 2 days early because of the piss poor negative attitudes we received from the hotel staff. Furthermore the happiest place on earth is their catch phrase. I can honestly confirm that they are full of crap! They ruined our family vacation in which we will NEVER stay at a Disneyland hotel again. Some friendly advice to everyone go stay at a good neighbor hotel they will treat you better!

987 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Lynnwood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We arrived early before our room was ready. The bell service checked our luggage so that we could go directly to the parks. Later when we returned to the hotel our luggage was promptly delivered to our room. What wonderful friendly service!
Just newly renovated, we were impressed by the new decor, the hallway carpets and the attention to detail, especially all of historical elements including Walt Disney and Disneyland. They have some amazing photos at every corner, on every wall, a time capsule of how it all started and how the legacy continues on.
We had a room with a nice view of the surrounding area but our favorite thing was the headboard of the bed, as silly as it sounds, it has a light-up castle and a miniature firework show that lit up with music playing "When you wish upon a star...". It was magical, it just added to the fun and fantasy.
Housekeeping was very flexible, coming when requested at our convenience. The restauants in the hotel were wonderful. We went to Goofy's Kitchen for a character dining experience and Steakhouse 55 for fine dining. The Steakhouse 55 turned out to be our favorite restaurant in all of the Disneyland Resort. The pool area was clean with attendants constantly in the area. The new Monorail pool slides were a nice addition as well.
On leaving the hotel, the bell service held our luggage until the time came for us to leave the resort.

Room Tip: Pick a room on a higher floor if you appreciate good views of the surrounding area.
Yakima, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have to say, I've wanted to stay here for over 20 years (since I was 11 years old) and finally got my dream this week!

The renovations are wonderful. The pool area and lobby made the hotel a true resort experience.
The pool area was better than going to a water park: clean, orderly, towels, life vest floats for the little ones, lifeguards who actually were a lot of fun and kind. And nice bathrooms, floral areas and trees, and lighting. The whole area is gorgeous. The spa at night was not to be beat. I especially loved looking at the tikki torches at the restaurants above. Very lovely. Nicer than the Polynesian resort at WDW FL.

The headboards were really pretty, but unfortunately, ours looked like it wasn't dusted in a week. Same with the other dark woods in the bath. Dusty.

Housekeeping didn't dump the limited trash can (2 tiny cans for a family?) and the amount of towels and coffee cups were also not enough. Soaps were not replenished. Housekeeping was, as others have said, substandard, especially for a Disney resort. This was the worst part of the whole operation. They also knocked on our door very early, prior to 8:30 am.

The other issue was that I was woken at 4:30 am by a loud shrub trimmer being used 6 floors below in Downtown Disney. It was so loud it vibrated the plate glass 6 floors up. The noise was subtle but a loud vibrating, like your phone going off from 4 am to 5 am. So, I couldn't sleep all morning.

Bell hops were great, front desk were curt but finally helpful with the map. Parking and valet were a source of frustration.

Use of Grand Californian not so grand at all. Faster to just go through Downtown Disney.

"Extra Early Magic"...I'm really angry that only a small fraction of the park and staff were operational. And they claimed that all the rides that were in open areas, rides in high demand were not working the entire hour. Rides that were running were half staffed. So wait time was double. Disney is not fully staffed, so it should be called "Halloween Disney Ghost Town of Budget and Staff Cuts." Don't count on this. It ruined my whole experience, a real fraud that tarnished my trip for three full days. So don't stay here on property for that "extra hour" of nothing.

The real upside was the pool and waterslides, Steakhouse 55, andthe ability to have purchases sent to the bell desk. the view was also awesome.

Room Tip: Higher floors to avoid noise from workers at ground level at 4 am!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

we started our Disney vacation at a cheaper family hotel in Anaheim which was great.

I had always wanted to stay at the quintessential Disney Hotel - it just seems so authentic & magical.

We were not disappointed.

Our reasons for staying here were to -
* have a few days of full Disney immersion
* pay homage to the 'origins' of Disney
* treat ourselves to a slightly more luxurious property
* enjoy the benefits of staying in a Disney hotel (ie early entry)

We found the staff to be excellent.

Sure the restaurant prices were too high for us to justify; but by this time we knew some great places to eat nearby & our kids are old enough that a photo of Goofy is just as good as sitting in his restaurant ;)
That was fine by us.

The room was lovely & spacious, with enough Disney touches to feel like we were in the Disney experience; yet elegant enough that it just didn't feel crass.

Our experience was fantastic; and having early entry to the parks every day of our stay, along with the fulfilling of a long-held dream certainly made the price seem justified to this happy family!

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

So I booked my stay for August for 2 days and my parents were with us. I paid about 400 bucks so 200 a night to be closer to the park and not to mention it was half the price of the grand hotel. The rooms are old, junky and Honestly, The motels across the street are nicer. Like the knights inn and the carousel. The beds were hard and the rooms small. Room service food was crappy and well, it was just a waste! I took my girls to the spa at the Grand Hotel which was gorgeous. I'm sure the rooms were worth it, but I was being cheap. I wish I just spent the money because I had it, but I try to be money savvy because after all you just sleep in the room right? Well if you can call sleeping on beds that feel like rocks and I'm in the Flinstone era.. I say stick with outside motels...

Room Tip: The room with the view of the park is ideal for fireworks, if you do want to stay at this poor hotel...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Newberg, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is our second stay at the Disneyland Hotel. It was big decision, because I wanted to try The Grand Disneyland Hotel, its closer, it just looks very nice. I ended up choosing The Disneyland Hotel, we had such a great visit in 2011, and I really wanted to stay again. It was worth it, we made the right choice. As we checked in, it was fast, the gentleman who checked us in was great, we got upgraded to an upper level with a great view of the park, we could see the fireworks at night. I have to tell you it was my granddaughter birthday, so that may have helped us get a upgrade. We continued to get such excellent surprise’s, next he bought out, to my granddaughter a picture that Meredith signed (Brave), she just turned four and she was so excited. The size of the rooms are very nice, we had two nice comfy beds, beautiful comforters on the beds, nice flat screen TV, oh yes the headboards lit up with music, a fridge, a desk. The windows are full length to the floor, you really could sit and watch all day of all the excitement going on, but who could miss all the fun. So if you ever go and you are celebrating a birthday get a badge at the ticket office and wear it, it’s so nice when every wishes you a happy birthday. If you also get a chance stay up on the higher floors, great views.

Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with my wife and two sons recently. Our room was in the adventure tower, I was impressed with the size of the room, very spacious.

My sons really enjoyed the pool and the water slides. It was nice to relax out there after a long day of wandering around the parks. The hotel was clean and the grounds were well taken care of.

The hotel is a good walk away from the park entrances, however the monorail has a stop fairly close to the hotel that will drop you off in tomorrowland.

The only parts of our stay that was less than ideal was our checkin and a mix up with our dinner reservation at Goofy's Kitchen. At check in there was a rather long line and only a couple desk agents to process everyone.

With our dinner reservation there was a mix up and we were not given the coupons we needed to present to enter the dining room. It was quickly fixed and we were able to eat, but it was a bit of an inconvenience after waiting in line for a while.

If I had to do it again, I would seriously consider Disneyland Hotel again if I could get a good price.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Disneyland Hotel? Share your experiences!