“Better than Expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
Rochester, New York
“Better than Expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel for four days during a work conference event. I found the hotel to be nicely appointed, clean, modern and perfect for adults and children alike. I do not have children and fully expected this to be crowded with screaming children and cartoons everywhere. I was pleasantly surprised to find the resort to be geared toward both older and younger crowds. This was an excellent location for business conferences and we had fantastic meeting spaces. The food was well prepared and our conference was excellent. The staff were so helpful and eager to assist. The swimming pool grounds are nice and I very much enjoyed drinks by the pool. It was convenient to spend time in Downtown Disney with all of the attractions. This was a very nice trip and I was impressed with the facilities. I'd love to return again for another business trip!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
None
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The hotel is in a good location at the entrance to downtown Disney. The rooms, at least in the main tower, have been remodeled. I like staying in the main tower as the other towers are a bit of a hike. Try to get a pool facing view as its better than the parking lot. Although the front facing view has a peek of the Matterhorn and other Disneyland rides.

Room Tip: Get a pool view room for the best view. If you want a peek view of the Disneyland rides get a front...
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This trip was was a celebration of childhood and Disney impressed in spades.

We stayed in a premium concierge room in the fantasy tower overlooking downtown disney and the parks and were treated to a fantastic view of the Saturday night fireworks.

The room was newly fitted and clean if not a little on the small side, but was enough for the three of us.

We had dinner in goofy's kitchen where it was a joy to watch our son and used the e-ticket lounge for continental breakfast, which we found pretty basic.

There was a coffee shop where you can buy a coffee made from an espresso machine, although, like everywhere in the parks they just can't seem to make a decent coffee with a good crema. (Best just set the bar low and enjoy the things disney does well)

It was a short walk to the Disneyland parks through downtown disney and having the magic morning available to get into the parks an hour early ahead of the hordes was excellent.

The swimming pools and water slide complex was a great place to retire to in the mid afternoon before venturing out in the early evening for dinner and a play in the parks or downtown disney.

The service was excellent and the entire experience of an extremely high calibre. Not for the budget minded though.

Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I live close to Anaheim and enjoy coming to the Disneyland parks often. Although the hotels are a bit pricey most of the year, I always manage to get at least one stay every year because it is too much fun. It is cleverly located its pools (perfect for families) with, in my opinion, awesome water slides and hardly seems crowded. It is also a short distance from the restaurants and the famous Disneyland Park itself. The rooms are spacious and include a display of "fireworks" in the middle of the room by the beds which I thought was just too cool. The concierge is also highly recommended because of the up to par snacks/and resting lounge perfect for after all of that fun at the park. All my life I have been exposed Disney and these hotels (including the Grand Californian and Paradise Pier) truly make me feel the magic has been incorporated straight out of the place! It brings out the child in all of us!

Tacoma, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed here over Thanksgiving 2012 in the Fantasy Tower. We opted for a 2Q room for our family of four - slightly cramped but I just didn't want to pay for the larger suite options. The pool area was fantastic, of course Goofy's Kitchen is a favorite, and they actually have a coffee shop that makes a decent latte (without the huge line at the only coffee shop in Downtown Disney). Being able to take advantage of early entrance/Magic Hours is why we stay onsite (especially during a holiday season), but you have to get up pretty early to be walking through the gates an hour before opening - 7am in November. We were happy with our stay and will probably stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Beverly Hills, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

As most travelers to Disneyland, I came in with the expectation to have a nice time in a comfortable hotel. Check in started out wonderfully. The front desk attendant, Karen, was very warm and accommodating.

We entered our room and I called room service to order lunch. I was on hold for twenty minutes. I called from my mobile phone and was placed on hold as well, got exasperated and hung up my cell phone, and waited and waited. Finally someone picked up and said there were a lot of people calling, which was a lie at 11 am on a Friday. I think whoever answered that phone was just on a mental break.

I found a lot of that here, people on mental breaks. It was annoying. Service was slow. The room service attendant dropped the cart off at the front of the door and said I could roll it in myself.
The room service menu is very limited and my Cobb Salad was brought up without dressing. The person who finally brought up dressing told me it was because I didn't ask for dressing. Well, usually a salad comes with some kind of dressing or a waiter asks. That's how they earn their tips. It's not up to me to make their job easier.

Our keys stopped working halfway through our stay so we had to call down for another key and wait. The front desk attendant told me I had been checked out aand that's why the key didn't work. Umm, okay. How was that my fault? Was I supposed to magically know this and come get the key from her before I tried to enter my room?

We called downstairs for a toothbrush and the person who came up smelled like one of those spices and that smell was on everything he touched, so I had to wash the toothbrushes and toothpaste so they didn't smell similar to urine. At first, I thought it was urine. I don't mean to be insensitive, but if someone has bad hygiene for whatever reason they shouldn't be working near guests.

There was dried pee on the entrance door to the bathroom.

Rides stopped working or were delayed. Even the monorail stopped working, the New Orleans train station was closed and I had to walk across the park to get to other attractions. With a four year old and a six year old, that wasn't easy. We were relying on the train to maneuver our way around the park. The park doesn't have twin strollers only singles so there was no point in renting, but there was nothing on the Disneyland website to inform us that the train was closed or I would have brought my own stroller. The genius who checked us in to the park took eons and forgot to properly scan my card, so I couldn't get any fast passes.

At Blue Bayou, guests who walked in were seated before those who had a reservation. When I inquired about this, the host said it was based on the wait time quoted to walk ins, which didn't make any sense at all. Once again, management was very helpful and offered something, but all I wanted back was the time I spent waiting and of course, she couldn't give that back.

This accurately reflects what is going on today; there is a pervasive third world mentality that provides a minimal amount of service and effort and yet expects high compensation. We can see it in the increased prices to stay at hotels, go to amusement parks, and dine out. Yet somehow everyone is okay with this? I certainly am not. Disneyland has the market cornered with their location, and the pool is fun, too, but I think next time I'm going to stay at a better run hotel like the Hyatt.

• Stayed May 2013
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We were in for a seminar and although we usually stay at the Grand Californian, I read that the Disneyland Hotel had renovated their rooms, and since our event was in the Disney Resort we decided to give it a try.

Nice surprise! We sprang for a suite in the Adventure Tower. The rooms (living room and bedroom) were very generously sized, and there was a “powder room” in the living area as well as a full bathroom with both a tub/shower combination AND a separate shower. There were lots of towels to spare, which was a refreshing change from the usual towel rationing that hotels seem to be hung up on lately. The bathrooms were very clean and not a spec of mold in the shower, which sadly, given the invention of bleach, is surprisingly rare anymore. A sweet vase with real carnations was set on the vanity.

And you know how even in some very high end places the pillows still have that faint “ode de stale hair” odor? Not here! Linens were fresh and clean and even the pillows smelled delightfully fresh. The head board has a magic castle scene that you can switch on with twinkling lights – great for photo opps or a night light. Except for a few bumps here and there, the rooms were exceptionally quiet for a hotel this size.
Floor to ceiling, wall to wall windows in each room helped shed some light on the room, which was a little on the dark side.

Our colleagues stayed in the “deluxe pool view rooms” and they also seemed fairly generous in size and tidy. The “deluxe” pool view was a bit of a stretch, as they were on the 3rd floor and a restaurant was in front of the pool, but it was pretty nonetheless. We were a little nervous upon approach to one of their rooms as it was right next to a noisy ice machine with smelly trash spilling over. But once inside the room, it was quiet and fresh. We simply caught housekeeping on the way out and asked them to pick up the trash which they happily did.

Staff overall was cheery and accommodating. We had room service one morning that took 35-45 minutes, which is pretty standard.

I give this property an overall “Very Good” rating because there were a few things that could have been better (aren’t there always?). A chair in our living area still had cereal crumbs stuck to it. I brushed them off on the floor thinking they would get vacuumed up that morning, but they were still there when we returned to our room later in the day.
One of my pet peeves is those little “sticky bits” that are left behind on door knobs or handles. There were a few of those.

This is a large property, and there are four restaurants. One is fine dining which is only open for dinner. One is the character themed “Goofy” place, which also has limited hours. There is a cafeteria style (a la Disneyland park style) by the pool and a Tiki type bar/restaurant where you can sit down and be served. With a large convention, I found these to be barely adequate and we had to head into Downtown Disney for food, which was also extremely crowded. Be prepared to be turned away for dinner due to many “private parties” that take over the restaurants and bars. The small bar by the Steakhouse in the Disney Resort was taken over by a private party, which was quite disappointing.

Out in Downtown Disney, we went to “UVA” and there was a private party upstairs so they were not going to accommodate our party. Thankfully, they finally let us in downstairs with a limited menu, but there were “door Nazis” that would not allow some of our party upstairs to use the restroom! They had to go outside to another restroom…REALLY?!

As a general rule, food in Disneyland is a major disappointment. Our best meal was a Cobb Salad on our way out at the Storyteller’s restaurant in the Grand Californian.

It was a comfortable stay, all in all, and easy access to the park and shops. Prices are fairly reasonable for the rooms and can add that extra magical touch to your adventure. But the park prices are outrageous! The total cost for a visit to the Magic Kingdom is definitely not for the faint of budget.
I would highly recommend it if you have a hefty vacation fund or can get a special deal with a travel group. Disney “did good”!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Disneyland Hotel? Share your experiences!