“Great family-friendly hotel near Disneyland” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #26 of 114 Hotels in Anaheim
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Union City, CA
“Great family-friendly hotel near Disneyland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

Key takeaways that make this a great family-friendly hotel:
- breakfast is included with your stay; it's not just a continental either..you've got your typical choice of fresh fruit, yogurt, breads, and cereals but top that off with make-your-own waffles, pancakes, country potatoes, biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, and depending on the day: canadian bacon, sausage links, or sausage patties
- full kitchen with fridge, stove, microwave, toaster, and coffee maker
- sofa bed
- free parking (don't need to pay the $20 parking fee at Disneyland)

It's clean, the service is great, they have a 24-hour market in case you forgot anything, and they're less than a 15 minute walk to Disneyland. You can take a shuttle to for $4 for anyone over 6 yrs old, and $1 for anyone younger...it's an all-day pass

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
rrodriguez_maingate, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, February 11, 2011
Dear HKTG21,

Thank you for compiling a list of the qualities that make us a great family-friendly hotel near Disneyland. As you mention, our complimentary hot buffet breakfast is great for families because they can enjoy a wide selection of delicious breakfast foods while at the same time avoid spending money. You also mentioned the fully equipped kitchens that come in every one of our suites. Utilizing the kitchen is another way families can save money because it allows you to not have to eat out every meal. Along with the items you listed, our kitchens also include a dish washer, oven, and complete dining sets. One service I would like to add, that ties to our rooms having full kitchens, is our complimentary grocery shopping service. Guests can drop off a grocery list at our front desk in the morning and our team will go to the store and do the shopping for you. We have the items back to your room by about 12pm and there is no charge for the service. Guests who have not yet arrived to our hotel can also e-mail or fax their lists to us and we will have your groceries in your room by the time you arrive. Anyone interested in this service just needs to contact our front desk at (714) 533-3555 for details. You also mentioned that guests can walk over to the park. The fact being that we are only half a mile from Disney means that most guests can walk to the park in about 10-15 minutes. Guests can also ride the ART shuttle if they prefer not to walk. Although you are correct with the pricing (Ad-$4, Ch-$1) the ages are as follows: Adults- 10+, Children- 3-9. Thank you again for taking the time to write about our hotel's great qualities. I hope that you will once again choose to stay with us the next time you are in the Anaheim Resort Area.

Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

I should have got around to writing this review sooner, after all, I relied on others' reviews when deciding on a place to stay in Anaheim. I'm glad I paid attention to most of the reviews as they were very accurate.

We stayed for seven nights at the hotel. We had a wonderful time at Disneyland which was made all the more enjoyable by our stay at this hotel. We hope to return next year and will definitely be booking a suite here again.

My children and I enjoyed every aspect of our stay, but especially: the pool, the breakfast, the staff, the jacuzzi, we even enjoyed the, in our opinion, very short walk to the parks.

To top it all off, on the second day of our visit the reception desk staff noticed that my daughter was wearing her happy birthday badge at breakfast,( she turned nine during our stay), when we returned later that day there was a beautiful, big chocolate cake waiting in our room. We were thrilled!

We felt welcomed and valued by the staff throughout our stay, our room was kept immaculately clean and we were impressed by the overall presentation of the grounds. Being in the U.S for the first time and being so far away from home, all of these things mattered to us a great deal.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Dear lpcymru,

Thank you for taking the time to go back and write a review about your stay at our hotel. I'm glad you felt that your stay with us enhanced the fun you had at Disneyland. Helping families enjoy their vacation really is one of our goals as a Disney Good Neighbor Hotel. I'm also glad to hear that you enjoyed so many of our amenities and features. Our 24 hour, heated pool and jacuzzi are a crowd favorite among families. It's a great feature for kids who still have some energy to burn off after an exciting day at Disneyland and for parents who are just looking to relax after a long day at the park. Our complimentary hot buffet breakfast is another huge hit with families. Not only can our guests enjoy a great selection of freshly cooked breakfast items (including eggs, waffles, pancakes, french toast, an assortment of breakfast meats, hot and cold cereals, etc.), but they can do it while saving money by not having to buy food every morning for the whole family. These things combined with the fact that our desk team loves to create special memories for our guests (in your case by delivering a delicious chocolate birthday cake) make us the perfect choice for families staying in the Anaheim Resort Area. Finally, I'm very happy to hear that you hope to return to our property next year. Until then, I wish you and your family all the best in Wrexham.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

After debating about a million choices of where to stay, we chose this one because it seemed like the best value. True, it's not right across the street from the theme parks, but even with three little boys it only took us between 10 and 15 minutes to walk. The complimentary breakfast was great, the rooms were simple but clean, we had a kitchen so we could save a little on food, and parking is free--even the day we checked out (they said we could leave it there all day). You can take the city shuttle, which costs a little, and which I might recommend if you will be going back and forth at all during the day. It goes every 20 minutes. The one thing I didn't prefer about our room was the pull-out sofa bed--it's terribly uncomfortable and could only be tolerated by children.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
rrodriguez_maingate, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
Dear cmtsch,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about how your stay went with us. I'm glad to hear that out of the million choices in Anaheim hotels you chose to stay with us. Our complimentary hot buffet breakfast, free parking, full kitchens and evening social hour help our guests to keep their budget under control. Thank you for clarifying our location for our Trip Advisor readers. We are not located directly across the street from the park, but we are only a 10 minute walk from Disneyland (0.5 of a mile). This makes for an easy walk for almost any family. For those who prefer not to walk, the ART shuttle is a great option. The shuttle runs every 20 minutes from one hour before Disney opens till a half hour after Disney closes. As you also mentioned, there is a small fee of $4 for adults and $1 for kids (ages 3-9). I'm sorry to hear that you found our sofa bed mattress to be uncomfortable. I'm glad to say that we now have brand new mattresses that make for a much cozier sleep. On top of that, we also offer pillow top mattress pads for our guests upon request. I hope the next time you are in the Anaheim Resort Area, you will once again choose to stay with us over the million other guys.

Marysville, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

This hotel is very nice. We stayed in a one-room suite with two queen beds. The room was very large and had a separate living/dining room with a kitchenette. The beds were a little too firm for my liking but they are in the process of getting new mattresses. There is a safe in the room to lock up your valuables while you are out enjoying the sights. The continental breakfast buffet was great. There was a lot of variety and lots of seating. You can also take your food back to your room and eat in the comfort of your own space. There was fresh fruit, different breads, cereal, eggs, bacon, sausage or ham, farm potatotes and other options as well. There is also a waffle bar. The rooms were quiet even though it is right next to the highway. It is also within walking distance of Anaheim Gardenwalk and Disneyland resort.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Dear EMK55,

Thank you for writing a review about your stay at our hotel. I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed the one Bedroom Suite. This is the perfect suite for a family! The room includes the full size kitchen, a separate living/sleeping area and it can sleep up to 6 people. We also offer a Studio Suite (max of 4ppl) for smaller families and the Penthouse Suite (max of 8ppl) which is perfect for larger families. As you mentioned in your review, all of our suites have a safe for valuables. You also mentioned that we were replacing the mattresses on the entire property. Well, I am glad to report that we are completely done with the renovation and since replacing the mattresses, we have had great feedback from our guests. Another thing our guests rave about is our complimentary hot buffet. You gave a great description in your review. The breakfast goes from 6:30am to 9:30am Mon-Friday and from 7am to 10am on the weekends. Thank you again for the wonderful review. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again the next time you visit the Anaheim Resort Area.

Victoria, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

My wife and I, six of our children (and spouses) and four grandchildren enjoyed a wonderful eight day stay at the Marriott Residence Inn Maingate. From the courteous staff at check-in to clean rooms and filling breakfast, the hotel was great and our group was very happy with our stay.
It is about a 10 minute walk to Disneyland and only a 15 minute drive to Knott’s Berry Farm. We came home every day for a late lunch and a swim or rest, then returned to Disneyland in the afternoon for more attractions and entertainment; then returned again to the hotel for dinner, then back to California Adventure f or Disneyland for the fireworks and the World of Color show.
If you're feeling tired or lazy there is bus service from Disneyland to the hotel every 20 minutes.
Eating at the hotel insured that they the grandkids were eating right and it was easy on the budget. The kitchen was well-equipped including a full-size fridge with ice maker and a dishwasher.
Thank you!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear VictoriaBCGrandpa,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. I can only imagine how much fun a trip to Disneyland with your entire family must be! I'm so glad that we were able to make that trip so memorable for you and your family. The complimentary hot buffet breakfast really is great for families, especially when you are planning on spending the day at Disneyland. Not only is the breakfast complimentary, but it provides our guests plenty of food options: eggs, waffles, pancakes, french toast, sausage, bacon, ham, hot and cold cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt, toast, bagels, etc. On top of the breakfast, we also provide spacious rooms (50% larger than most hotels in Anaheim) as well as a great location (half mile from Disneyland). Thank you again for taking the time to write about your stay. I hope that we will get to see you and your family again the next time you visit the Anaheim Resort Area.

Klamath Falls, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

Let me first start out by saying that the last review is just BS, that person is probably one of those sour, unhappy people, because I couldn't disagree more, and we talked to plenty of other guests who all said they were so satisfied with the hotel, as well as the staff. These people really go above and beyond what you would expect from a hotel, and a large chain like Marriott , the things these guys do is just unheard of. Like the fact that the manger goes on to this outside website to respond to every review...really, who does that?
Well, to start from the beginning.I had called this hotel to speak to Roger himself, (the manager) because we live in Oregon, and decided to surprise my son with a trip to Disneyland for his 8th B.D....I'm talking driving through the night and waking him up at the gates and saying "SURPRISE!"" I looked over hundreds of hotels, and wanted one with a kitchen so we could save on money with food, and also one close enough to walk there and back a few times a day. I was so impressed with the reviews on here, and the fact that this manager took time to respond to every review..That shows a hotel that really cares about you having a good stay.
Roger was so eager to prepare for a pleasant stay, that he had emailed me a few times stating that they were excited, and had a few surprises planned..
We arrived at 6 am in the morning, and there were rooms open, and Michelle let us have our pick. We picked the studio, 1021. It was quiet and kind of away from the pool, etc. Perfect for us. We ate breakfast at their free buffet that had hot meat, pancakes, french toast, fruit, oatmeal, waffles, biscuits and gravy, eggs, juices, everything you could want.. Saved $40 right there. We slept that day, as we had drove all night. We were impressed with the room, I was worried that because we got the studio, and my son would sleep on the couch it would be to small, but truthfully it was fine. Things were immaculate. Everything was very clean, smelled clean. there were a few things that may not have worked perfectly, like one burner on the stove, but who cares. They really wouldn't know about that, unless they were using it. I asked for the pillow top to put on top of the mattress, because I prefer a soft mattress, and that was great. Didn't have to wait 5 minutes for anything we requested, and the staff never made us feel like we were bugging them.I hate that about so many hotels, the staff act miserable. these guys were always relaxed, laughing, they all got a long well, there was just good energy in the lobby. Even when they were busy and there was a line, they didn't get all stressed out, they treated everyone like they were the only one.
We received a phone call from the manager the next morning welcoming us, he even had a box of chocolate pretzels, and a card for us. We spent every day at the park..although it was plenty close enough, (10 minutes) we were so tired from walking all day at DL we did buy a family pass for $9 and we could come and go as much as we needed..that was great! On my sons birthday, we went to Knots Berry farms, then Medieval times..two things that I would recommend...we got home late, and there was a cake and balloons for our boy! Really, who does that? He was so excited because although we spoiled him with lots of stuff, we forgot the cake!
The cleaning staff was courteous, and thorough, the desk staff genuinely friendly, warm, and so helpful, printing out directions and giving us the inside scoop on traffic, etc..
We talked to other guests on the shuttle, and they were all as happy as us with their experience, many of them repeat guests. They all had different experiences of how the staff went above and beyond to make them feel so welcome..I know this is a long review, but I'm telling you, if you're on the fence about where to stay, this is hands down, the best hotel we have ever stayed at..we always stay at the embassy, and its fine, no complaints, but they never made us feel like family, just business. if you have a special trip planned, birthday, anniversary..anything..call Roger and tell him your coming, and what you have planned. If he knows about you I promise you will be treated like family.And even if you don't, you will still be so surprised.
One word of advice, I forgot to print out my confirmation number and hotel address, at 6AM, I had no idea where our hotel was, and there are like 5 Marriott's, and 2 residence Inns..(and they weren't so nice by the way)
Please feel free to email me personally, with any questions. bearfootlady@yahoo.com
and Thanks Roger, and front desk staff! \ You made our trip such a great experience, there was nothing more you could have done..I'm telling all our friends and family to stay there..
P.S
All new beds arrived on our 2nd night,...big plus...new beds!!!

Dear cdonati8,

WOW!!! What can I say after a review like that? Thank you so much! My team and I could not help but feel a little embarrassed after how many great things you said about us. Seriously, we can't thank you enough. Providing our guests with the best guest service and making them feel like family is what we want. I'm so glad that we were able to help you and your family enjoy an amazing trip to Disneyland! I will sincerely look forward to your next trip to the Anaheim Resort Area.

anywhere, usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

We were expecting superior rooms and service, what we got was inferior, could have just stayed at a motel 6 and got the same service and rooms. First , when we checked in we had a problem arise and the manager on duty just stated he could not help us and kept laughing at us under his breath. Second the bathroom was disgusting, there was mold and mildew and the baseboards were coming unglued, I would never stay at this facility again. The only positive aspect was they had just received new mattresses and the bed was a dream, but for the money I would rather stay at Disneyland hotel, which costs about the same and is much more clean.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
rrodriguez_maingate, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
Dear goofygirl26,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with our hotel. Although it was not the best review we've ever received it does help us learn how we can better exceed our guest's expectations. I would like to apologize for your encounter with our desk staff. We sincerely value guest service at our property and never want any guest to walk away feeling the way you did. The issues you mentioned fall into the categories of guest service and room upkeep. These are two areas where our hotel has consistently excelled when it comes to Marriott's Quality inspections as well as our Guest Service Surveys and Trip Advisor Reviews. With that said, I know that we are not perfect and are just as capable of failing as any other hotel. To avoid that from happening, we encourage our guests to inform us of any issues they have while they are staying with us so that we can go about correcting the issue. I would love to speak with you directly about the issues you experienced so that I can learn how we can continue to grow in these areas. You may contact me by calling the hotel directly at (714) 533-3555 and asking for Ext. 210 (Roger Rodriguez). My goal is to listen to what you have to say and learn how we can improve. Thank you again for your review.

Sales Manager

Been to Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate? Share your experiences!