“Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
Bakersfield
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed in the largest room they offer, a 2 bedroom suite, which coincidentally is only available downstairs. I am a light sleeper and would strongly suggest a second floor room over the bottom floor if noises bother you. It is obviously a family friendly hotel being near Disneyland and we could hear kids returning from the park around 9am running, screaming, etc. Our neighbors above must have been children because they were stomping like there was no tomorrow. The pool was semi-nearby our room and we could definitely hear loud children. Not the fault of the hotel, but just something to consider if you like peace and quiet!

As for the rooms, they REALLY need to be renovated. Being a hotel which caters to children means that the floors, walls, furniture, etc take a beating. The maid staff does a good surface job of cleaning but it seems like nobody has done any real deep cleaning recently. The maids were all very friendly and I tipped them every day except once. Tipping seemed to get me fancifully folded towels, paper towes, toilet paper, and kleenex. I'd prefer they spend the time detailing the room. I will add pictures to my review later to display what I'm talking about. A previous reviewer mentioned the various times the maids seemed to clean the rooms. I found this to be true as well. The first day were able to check in early so I assumed cleanings happened very early. The next day we returned to our room around 1 (the time we had checked in the day before) for our daughter to nap and the maid was about halfway through.

Also, both doors to the rooms were accordian style. Really?!? With small children frequenting this hotel, I don't see how this made any sense. I desperately wish they had been normal doors. These sort of doors are annoying to deal with and my daughter had some close calls because she wanted to mess with them (she's almost 2).

The kitchen was small. Not sure which room the kitchen their showing on their website belongs to, but it didn't belong to the 2 room suite. There was very little counter space. Luckily, there were only several of us, but if the maximum amount of people stayed in this room (8) it would be a very small area to work with.

One of our bathrooms had carpeting in the shower/vanity area. I personally think this is not a great choice since the carpet gets and stays wet. That bathroom had a funny odor to me. The other bathroom with vinyl flooring did not have that same musty smell.

The breakfast buffet was very good. We enjoyed four mornings of it and the offerings were essentially the same with little variations. I enjoyed the eggs, potatoes, and biscuits and gravy. I would echo what a previous reviewer mentioned which was adding the individual sized yogurt cups & milks considering there are little ones.

Ammenities were nice. The hair products were Paul Mitchell & the body lotion was from The Body Shop. I prefer to hand wash dishes and no dish soap was provided, only dishwasher soap.

The evening social was Nachos on Monday night and a BBQ on Wednesday. We only got to experience the nachos. It included chips, chili, nacho cheese, celery, carrots, and ranch. There was some very weak 'lemonade' too. We discovered there were cookies in the lobby in the evenings, but nowhere did it inform us of this perk.

We did not use the pool or fitness equipment. We did use the park every day and this was definitely a highlight of the hotel. There were no swings and the playground is small (probably best for toddlers or very young children). For our two year old it worked out well. It winds up being shady in the afternoon, another plus.

The staff we encountered were nice enough but not anything to write home about. There is a Best Western in our hometown which has exceptionally friendly staff which is my gold standard.

For the price you pay, I say this hotel is average. I think it is largely due to the fact that many young children stay at this hotel and the hotel takes a beating. As such, I think the staff needs to be extra diligent to keep things clean and fresh. I see a previous reviewer had some similar observations about the cleanliness and condition of his room. Apparently this might be a site-wide issue. I hope they make some changes now that at least two reviewers have shown concern.

Room Tip: Second floor, preferably away from traffic, playground, and BBQ area.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Vanessa S, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear SarahB123,

On behalf of the hotel, I’d like to extend my gratitude to you for articulating your recent experience so thoroughly & candidly. I will be honest: at first it was very difficult, from a hotelier’s perspective, to view the photographs you presented & to read your story because you cut to the heart of what we love to do. We were all a bit embarrassed & shocked; we really thought our procedural eyes were sharp and alert! We are truly sorry that we fell short of your expectations and I assure you that we are taking steps to correct what is in our immediate power to correct. We have printed out your review and have been using it as a detailed guide since the review was published. These are the changes that we have made (and are undergoing), based on your feedback. Again, thank you for helping us improve what we offer our guests.

Over the weekend, we have had two all-staff housekeeping meetings to view your photographs & revisit our procedures. In addition to our standard cleaning measures, we are working out a special-projects schedule to rotate deep-cleaning projects more often into our daily routine. The cleaning materials & products we use are being tested (and new items brought in) to see which are more effective.

Because of the nature of our Disney leisure/vacation market, it is difficult to predict exactly when each family will be out of their room to provide housekeeping service, so we can be inconsistent. We have tried to set up a routine, but as you know when you’re on vacation – sometimes guests sleep in, sometimes they don’t, etc. If any of our guests would like to set up specific service times, please contact our front desk. Our regular, full-housekeeping service hours are from 9:00am – 4:00pm daily, unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Thank you for providing your specific room number in response to my email. Today, we replaced the showerhead, kitchen wood trim, & the re-caulked the bathroom door frame. Discussions are currently under way to replace the carpet in the bathroom area of your suite with linoleum or tile. Our team went in & you’re right – it does make more sense.

The sheer volume of guests that stay at our popular hotel can be overwhelming on our furniture & hotel items. The good news is twofold: 1) We regularly touch up & maintain what we have to keep it up as best as we can, and 2) We are up for a renovation!! The specific details (dates and what will be affected) are being worked out by our upper management team, but it looks as though we should have one by early 2014.

On a lighter note - it turns out that the ladder you photographed outside your window was used to retrieve a child’s toy from the rooftop of your building. While our Engineering Hero Of The Day was busy rescuing the item, he received a second call to assist another guest and accidentally abandoned the ladder in his rush to help. Please accept our apologies for the oversight - we do not typically leave ladders against our guest’s windows; it is certainly not a standard procedure! However, we do feel a bit better knowing the oversight was in exchange for stopping a wailing child's alligator tears (and the frantic parent’s need to buy headache medicine!). ;)

Thank you again for your feedback and for giving us an opportunity to learn & grow. Your review is greatly appreciated.

Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate
vsah@rimhospitality.com
714.782.0046 (Direct Line)
714.533.3555 x 210 (Hotel)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Since the beginning the staff and maids were very helpful, the rooms clean, breakfast buffet was good but not much variety. We loved the heated pool, kiddie pool, anchor tub. The maids did a great job cleaning every day, but must've expected a tip, (doesn't everyone nowadays for doing the very job they're hired to do?) once we got home, we realized we lost a cell phone, the last place it was seen was the hotel, (no cell phone was turned in) of course. The maids claimed we "smoked" in the room because of a couple butts in the trash can (they have obviously never been a smokers home). We called and talke to 3 different managers... All of them said the same thing. "You can't bring a "once-lit" cigarrette into a room". When I told them that maybe they should specify that, that you can't throw away butts in their trash can. They said they weren't "required" to specify that. So, even though we never smoked in the room, we had 3 children with us, they charged us an extra $250 for "evidence". And to top it ALL off, and the reason that prompted me to write this review in the first place, I am an absolute arachnophobic , I just found a male black widow between some folded pants in my suitcase!!! Are you kidding me?!!!! My husband killed a female black widow beneath a window sill and told the front desk staff that they'd need to have the property sprayed!!... My husband didn't tell me cause he didn't want to freak me out!!.. But this?.. This is beyond crazy!!... A poisonous spider in my suitcase!!!!... We took pictures and everything!!!... There is also still a $150 hold on my account for who knows what?... Lets see what kind of fee they come up with next...

• Stayed April 2013
Vanessa S, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Audi_Bay,

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed our housekeeping service and breakfast, but I am also sorry to hear that we were unable to exceed your overall expectations. I would like to take this opportunity to address some of your comments. I hope my points will help bring clarity to any unanswered questions you may have.

Lost and Found Procedures: In regards to your missing phone, I assure you we have a very strict Lost and Found procedure in place. Any items left in a room are to be turned into our Front Desk, where they are logged in our Lost and Found book and then stored in our secured storage. In some situations, items that are not logged as “found” on the date of inquiry may be logged under later dates. It may be helpful to give us a follow up call to see if your phone has been discovered since your original call.

Pest Control Schedule: Due to the fact that every one of our suites opens up to the exterior of the property, it leaves us more susceptible to pests than enclosed hotels. This being the case, pest control is a very important part of our regimen. We have a professional pest control company service our entire property every two weeks in order to keep our rooms pest free. We have assigned the suite you stayed in to a deep cleaning service in order to address any further pest issues.

Smoke-Free Hotel Policy: In 2006, Marriott instituted the Marriott Smoke-free Hotel Policy. This policy designates specific smoking areas on the property that are far enough from rooms that it will prevent smoke from tracking into the suites. These areas have ash trays and trash cans that are to be used for disposing of all smoking materials. Unfortunately, in your scenario, the remnants of the cigarettes were taken back into the room, which caused a strong smoke smell to saturate the suite. Seeing as though the room could not be rented due to the irreparable damages from the smoke, we applied the smoking fee.

I hope this helped address any confusion there may be about our policies and procedures. Please feel free to contact me or any of our management team members with further questions or comments.

Sales Manager
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We checked in the evening of April 9th. So happy when we pulled into the hotel and it was immaculate, cute low rise buildings. Everything was clean and well kept. Our second floor 1 bedroom sutie was cute, squeeky clean, and had a good sized kitchen and family room. Perfect suite for a family of four. The daily complimentary hot breakfast was really good and saves a family 60 or $ 80 a day! Tons of choices, eggs, waffles, pancakes, fruit, baking, cereal, you name it, it was there. Really friendly staff throught the property. The grounds were immaculate and the pool area was really nice. So nice that we took a day off from Disney and hung out at the pool. Little grocery/snack shop was convenient for snacks and drinks. It would be great if the breakfast area could be a light restaurant/cafe open all day for those who wish to have a pool or r n r day!
The new Garden Walk mall just west of the hotel had great choices for restaurants too: PF Changs, Cheesecake, Bubba Gumps, California Pizza Kitchen, and a steakhouse, so you don't need to walk miles, drive, or cab it for a good meal or night out. Perfect location for your Anaheim/ Disney holiday. A nice easy 10-15 minute walk to Disneyland!
I highly recommend the Residence Inn Anaheim and can't wait to stay there again soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room, not facing onto Disney Way ( busy street ).
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Rachel S, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Dave E,

Thank you so much for your incredible review of our hotel! It is great to hear that you had an enjoyable stay.

As you mentioned, our location, is great for families visiting the Anaheim Resort area. We are located in the center of many Anaheim attractions such as Disneyland and California Adventure, the Anaheim Angel’s stadium, the Honda Center, The Anaheim Sports Center, The Anaheim Convention Center, and the Anaheim GardenWalk.

Thank you again for your wonderful review, and for highlighting some of our great amenities. Your positive feedback means a great deal to each and every one of our staff members, as it takes us working together as a team to provide such a memorable experience for our guests. We appreciate your recommendations and we can’t wait to see you again on your next visit!

rsmith@rimhospitality.com
Dublin, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We visited Disneyland for two days and chose to stay at a neighboring hotel as opposed to a disney resort in order to save money. Fortunately our friends recommended this hotel, which was great.

With two kids under the age of 4, choosing a clean 1-bedroom suite was key and well worth the extra cost over the studio suite. There is a nice kitchen area.

The breakfast was quite decent. Try to get there early since a ton of families pack in around 8:30-9am to chow just before they dash to Disney. There is disney related wall art and a tv playing cartoons in the dining area, making it feel just a little bit more Disney-like.

At the front they do have a Disney concierge and the front desk staff are quite friendly. Outside there is a pool and a sports court as well.

Disney's main parking structure is about 0.5 miles away - with two little kids we drove to Disney, but with older kids or teens you could conceivably stroll there. I believe the hotel Disney concierge can help you catch a shuttle as well.

All in all, a nice hotel with friendly staff, clean rooms, decent breakfast, and close proximity to Disney for an affordable price. What more can you ask for? We will stay again whenever we return next.

• Stayed April 2013
Rachel S, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear ac2000ny,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in the one-bedroom suite.

You do a great job of highlighting some of our hotel’s great amenities, and bring up an excellent point in terms of breakfast. Being that we are one of the more popular hotels in the area, the breakfast area can get full quickly as many families like to eat breakfast right before they head to the park. We offer breakfast from 6:30-9:30 am on the weekdays and 7-10 am on the weekends. Guests are also welcome to bring their breakfast back up to their rooms so they can continue to get ready for their day, and avoid some of the breakfast traffic.

Thank you for bringing up the distance from our hotel to the park. It is one feature that guests love most about our property seeing that it is an easy 10-15 minute walk. Just to clarify, the distance from our hotel to the main gate of Disneyland and California Adventure is ½ a mile away, while the main parking structure is about 1 mile away from our hotel. For guests who decide to take the ART shuttle, which is run by the city, an all day pass can be purchased for $5 per adult and $2 per child.

Thank you again for taking the time to write such an excellent review of our hotel. We appreciate your loyalty, and look forward to seeing you next time!

rsmith@rimhospitality.com
West Jordan, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I heard about this hotel from a friend at work, who is very particular about hotels. I balked at the price at first (about $300 more than the other hotels in the area), but after staying here once, I am spoiled and don't want to stay anywhere else. I love the park-like atmosphere. When you step out of your door, you are outside, with grass and flowering trees, and not in a stuffy hallway in a high rise, waiting for an elevator. Between the free hot breakfast, the full kitchen and the free parking, we saved money in the long run. My granddaughter and I stayed in a second-story studio, but our next trip will be in the b-level penthouse, as we will have the rest of the family with us. Can't wait!

Room Tip: If you are able-bodied, get an upper-floor room so that you don't hear people above you.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Rachel S, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Georgianna37,

Thank you for your incredible review. I am glad that you gave us a chance, and ended up having a fabulous stay! Just like you, most of our guests enjoy being able to step right outside their room and immediately be in the midst of our lovely so-cal weather.

Many factors go into our fluctuating room rates. What may seem like a high rate at first, will, as you mentioned, pay for itself in the long run. We have many amenities that are embedded in the price of the room. Amenities such as a hot buffet breakfast every morning, evening social hours twice a week, wireless internet, a grocery shopping service, and parking all come complimentary for each of our guests.

I am glad that you and your granddaughter had a wonderful stay with us, and I look forward to welcoming you back with the rest of the family on your next visit!

Lake Forest, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

each day early in the morning, the maids wer not even knocking, but announcing themselves as they were using their key to open our room door while we were asleep. the front desk employees wer more concerned w keeping their housekeeping staff on their way out the door to cut labor costs that i, a frequentvguest at many marriotts weekly for my job had rented the penthouse w a loft for 5days and did not feel we wer welcomed or our patronage was appreciated at all. then i get home after this awful stay only to find out they had double charged me so im out close to an extra 690 on top of it the front desk is refusing to admitt the mistake that my credit card company informed me of and will not email a copy of my stay report. if u would have saidan experience like this would ever happen to me at a marriott i would think u wer on crack or something. but it did and that one hotel will forever change the way i look at a marriott hotel from this day forward. im still waiting for my money back that they double billed my card for as well. probably wont see it again. and now im skrewed out of a lot of money and my son did not get to go to disney land because ther was not enoughmoney left to go after they took all that money out twice. so i would not recomend this hotel to a bum let alone any single parents lile myself. u may think u lost shirt almost feels like u lost ur pants aat a casino or something. except my 4yr old lil boy was a victim and i cried and held him whilw he cried cuz he couldnt go to disneyland. i hope the staff feel real proud of themselves and im not like everyone else, ill stand up and scream it from the rooftops, i paid top money for crap service bottom line. customer is always right ? !!! oh no my friends not at that marriott just know that for a fact. hope someone else will stNd up as.let their stories fro here be heard thanx for ur time...

• Stayed April 2013
Vanessa S, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear SkylerlerzMommy,

I want to start off by apologizing for any confusion there may have been with the billing on your account. After speaking with my Accounting team I was able to verify the only charges we have applied to your card were the charges for your room and tax as well as some additional charges you accrued during your stay. I do believe my accounting team e-mailed you a copy of your bill listing these charges on Wednesday, April 24th.

If you would like another copy of your bill or have any further questions I ask that you contact our Front Office Manager, Roger Rodriguez at (714) 533-3555 and he will be more than happy to assist you. I assure you, providing excellent customer service is of primary importance to our team so please allow us the opportunity to resolve this matter with you.

Sales Manager
Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel is a great value with full breakfast buffet included, free Internet in room, and parking. BUT...it is NOT two blocks from Disneyland. Plan on a 20 minute walk, moving right along, which is fun in the morning and deadly after the park closes. Take the $1/one-way shuttle back (#7).

Room Tip: ask for view of the park, if you think you will be in your room during fireworks.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear jan7colorado,

Thank you for mentioning the value of our hotel. We offer many complimentary services that come with the cost of the room. As you mentioned, we offer a hot buffet breakfast every morning, wireless internet, parking, social hours twice a week, and a grocery shopping service all come complimentary for our guests’ convenience.

I am sorry to hear that you were misinformed that we are located 2 blocks from Disneyland. I would appreciate if you contact me directly at rsmith@rimhospitality.com to let me know where you received this information so that we can correct any miscommunication as far as distance to Disneyland with future guests. We are located ½ a mile from the main gate of Disneyland and California Adventure Park, which takes most guests an average of 10-15 minutes to walk. There is also, as you mentioned, the option of taking the ART shuttle. For guests who plan on going back and forth from the hotel to either park, the $5 all day pass for adults and $2 all day pass for children would be the best option. For guests who would like to enjoy the walk to the park, and take the shuttle home, (or vice versa) the one-way ticket price, $3 for adults and $1 for children would be the better option.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your valuable feedback, and hope to see you on your next trip to Anaheim!

Guest Service Specialist

Been to Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate? Share your experiences!