“Well equiped timeshare-like hotel property located close to DLand, 10min shuttle to DLand.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate

Free Parking
Ranked #23 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

As a Platinum VIP I got upgraded to the 1 bedroom suite. (got a free bottle of wine...woo hoo)

I Recommend this hotel....but cannot compare it to others in the area.

2 Double beds (they say Queen but feel like double) in one room ....kinda awkward and not very useful except for kids in other bed.

2 small-ish LCD tvs and a living/dining room layout with well equipped kitchen.

Outside pool and Jacuzzi.

Decent self-serve breakfast...but crowed at times.

Very helpful staff.

Shuttle bus to Disneyland park runs every 20 minutes xx:00, xx:20, xx:40 $5/adult $3/kids for all day back-and-forth rides between hotel and park.

Free parking.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Kimberly R, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Mark-Debbie,

We appreciate your response on your recent stay with us. From the looks of it, it seems that you stayed in our One Bedroom suite which has two queen size beds in one room and the sofa sleeper located in the living room area with the fully equipped kitchenette. This suite is very common for families in general because parents reside in the bedroom while the children enjoy the sofa bed with their own TV in the living room.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate your future recommendations.

Front Office Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Covington, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We recently stayed at the Residence Inn Anaheim Disneyland Maingate hotel. First of all, let me say that the whole staff was very friendly and helpful. If we needed extra towels or pillows they were very quick to bring them to our room. I was surprised by so many great reviews on trip advisor, this hotel is very dated (which I can deal with) but it was also very dirty. The couch had so many spills and stains, we were uncomfortable sitting on it. The mattress also had several stains. The kitchen and bathroom floors were filthy. There was also a unidentified brown slime all over the front of the cabinets in the bathroom. The third night at the hotel, while watching TV sitting on the bed, a mouse ran across the room and ran under the couch. I called the front desk and they sent someone out to look. He looked for about 10 seconds and declared the mouse was gone and he would go get a trap. I insisted that he look a little bit longer and I ended up lifting the couch, and looking behind the curtains. Finally I agreed to the trap. He came back a few minutes later letting me know they were out of traps and would get more the next day, which they did, but, by then, we wanted to switch rooms. The second room smelled so bad we did not even bother to unload our stuff. Finally, the third room (a upgrade) smelled better but still have mystery stains on couch and mattress, stained up carpet and the dirty kitchen and bathroom. I have stayed at many Marriotts’ and this is definitely the worst. It could be a nice hotel if it was just updated. And the price was not that cheap. We stayed at the HOJO’S last time for $50 less a night and it pretty comparable. The hotel staff was very willing to switch us rooms and do what it took to make our stay better. But the problem is that the hotel is just not to Marriott’s standard. Next time I will most likely stay at the Anaheim Marriott (which was cheaper per night but did not include breakfast and parking).
The daily buffet breakfast was very convenient but was just okay, but nothing memorable. Although it did save us some time and money to not have to worry about breakfast. The free parking was great. My teens loved the pool and hot tub. I did not use it but the area seemed nice. The hotel is not really at the main gate. There is a 10 minute walk, which is not bad in the morning, but seems like the Baton Death March on the way back at the end of the night… But right across the street is one of the Disney parking lots with a free shuttle and we just walked over and took that (not sure it’s that’s okay).

Room Tip: stay in a room on the second floor.
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Perfect alternative to a condominium for three generations (Grandparents, parents and children) -6 total - to stay together for a wonderful Disneyland experience! A 2 bedroom/2 bathroom loft/suite with kitchen all within easy walking distance to Disneyland Park. The complimentary breakfast with selections for even the most finicky eater was the perfect start to each morning. Daily housekeeping did a great job. The weather was rainy at time, so we didn't take advantage of the the pool, but others did and appeared to having a good time. The premises was very well maintained. Would recommend this property to any family wanting close proximity to Disneyland.

Room Tip: The family suites - king size bed in loft with en-suite bath and main floor bedroom with two queen b...
Dear NewcastleDan,

It seems as though all three generations enjoyed a great time during your stay. Our generation one property is indeed similar to condominium apartments. The 25 buildings that we have on property provide guests with the perfect amount of privacy with our exterior entrances. It sounds like you stayed in our Penthouse suite, a great choice for larger families. The Penthouse is a bi-level loft with two sleeping areas, a King bed in the upstairs loft and two queen size beds in the downstairs bedroom. Not to mention the fully equipped kitchenettes and living room area where the sofa sleeper is located.

Thank you for all of the great comments and hopefully the weather is nice and sunny so you are able to enjoy the pool!

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Our family of five (3 adults, 2 kids aged 8 & 4) stayed for 10 nights in a penthouse suite. The room was clean, very roomy and the two full bathrooms and full kitchen are a big plus. While all the amenities were great, what we remember most from our stay is how friendly and helpful the staff are here. Particular thanks to Kimberly & Roger for accommodating all our requests during our stay, nothing was ever too much trouble! The breakfast is super yummy and plentiful and the pool area is surprisingly quiet most of the time. Kiddie pool is a nice bonus too. The grocery service is so useful, we sent a list ahead of our chek-in date and had everything waiting in the room when we arrived.
On our last day my 4 year old daughter still had a Disneyland ballooon that we couldn't take with us on our flight to our next destination. She was very upset about leaving it behind, but the front office staff really made her day by offering to keep it at reception and look after it for her.
Thank you so much everyone at Residence Inn, you really made our vacation even better than we had expected :)

Room Tip: Request an upstairs condo, as I understand the downstairs accommodation sometimes suffers from foot...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Elizabeth891,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! It is a pleasure to read what a great time you had while staying with us. I particularly would like to thank you for mentioning how much you appreciated our staff. Our team is a huge factor in why many of our returning guests keep coming back, in every department from the front desk to engineering to housekeeping.

The grocery shopping service is a favorite for guests! Mainly because it requires very little work for guests, simply write a list of what you need and we do the shopping for you complimentary! As you mentioned, we gladly accept lists prior to check in so that the groceries are in the room right as you check in. Feel free to contact the hotel or myself if any future Trip Advisor users are looking to send in their orders at (714) 533-3555 or krosales@rimhospitality.com.

On behalf of Roger and I, we thank you for your comments and we cannot wait to see you back at our property. Thank you again for your response.

Ventura, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We are locals and admit love disney. We come our fair share and with a toddler a disney day is just so much better with a nap (and cocktail hour for her parents). We have come to love the Residence Inn. Within walking distance to disney and full kitchen, saves us a lot of money. Truth be-told, we don't eat at disney at all. With the amount of money we save on food, is how we can afford the hotel. The free breakfast makes it easy to go enjoy the park, come back for a nap, eat some sandwiches, go back for night and then have dinner. The rooms are spacious, staff is courteous and if you get a room on the corner, you can walk out and watch the fireworks show. Standard room, great for families... with what else is out there for the price, it's a good value. In response to the "aging" reviews...After staying at several of the hotels on Harbor blvd. I think all of them are in the category....The only thing I can actually complain about was on this particular visit, they were cutting the trees down around the rooms, it was an absolute mess, a HUGH safety issue and no one seemed to care, I'll overlook it this time, but I was disappointed with how poorly it was handled by management.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear hjoyo,

Thank you very much for your review. From what you have written, I can tell that you and your family enjoyed a very great time while visiting the Anaheim Resort area. One important thing that families look for when traveling is budgeting expenses. I understand how important it is to try to save as much money as possible to be able to enjoy it on other activities. An example that you mentioned is our complimentary full hot buffet breakfast, this can easily save a family over $50 a day.

Aside from saving money, you can also save much time and energy with the help of the Anaheim Resort Transit (ART) shuttle. The ART shuttle is a fee based shuttle that transports guests from the local hotels to Disneyland on an all day pass. This day pass is a small fee of $5 for adults and $2 for children ages 3-9 years old. This can be very helpful if the children want to take a nap during the day or to return to the property to enjoy one of our evening social hours.

I lastly want to apologize for the debris around your room. We do our tree trimming about once every three months and our landscapers take extreme precautions when it comes to the safety of our guests by cone placement within 15 feet of vehicles and rooms. I will make sure to discuss this with management and our landscaping team and see why this was not handled properly. Thank you for your information, we appreciate your feedback.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed here Nov 10 to 13, 2012 with our 2 young kids. Kind of surprised by the glorious reviews on tripadvisor. The hotel is very old, our 1 bedroom suite was tight, wallpaper peeling off, tiny bathroom-- no room for our stroller or to unpack our bags. We saw 1 bug during our stay--expected more. The perks-- very close to Disneyland-- our 5 yr old happily walked there in 10-15 minutes, close to Anaheim Gardenwalk with awesome restaurants and the daily breakfast was great. The staff is nice, but having to walk outside in a long maze of sidewalks to do anything (laundry, eat, swim) was a pain. I love Residence Inn style hotels-- but this one is in need of a serious makeover!

Room Tip: Ask for 1st floor if u have kids o/w you'll be lugging a stroller up a flight of stairs!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Vanessa S, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Viv77,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay in early November. We appreciate your candid response. I'd like to apologize for the challenges that you experienced with your family. Would you be willing to reach out to me to let me know the room you stayed in? Because you brought it to my attention, I personally want to make sure the wallpaper in your room has been repaired by our team. Additionally, (since we are comprised of multiple buildings in a lush, garden-like setting) every now and again an unwelcome winged friend might sneak its way into rooms, despite our persistent efforts to keep them out. I'm so sorry one decided to make itself at home in your room! We certainly DO NOT want them there AT ALL. We highly encourage our guests to tell us immediately if they see anything unusual so we can check the seals in each room. All of us want you to have a relaxing & enjoyable stay, so we are more than happy to correct what we can ASAP.

Again, thank you so much for your feedback. Please drop me a line or give me a call letting me know your past room so that I can follow up with our maintenance team to ensure the satisfaction of our future guests.

Warm Regards,

Vanessa Sah, Manager
vsah@rimhospitality.com
714-782-0046 (Direct Line)
Layton, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We arrived about 5:30 PM on 20 November and had no problems checking into out studio. Went to set up the internet but the jack in the console did not work and the wireless would not connect. Several calls to the front desk and eventually we found that the first time I connected Firefox would not work, had to use IE, but from then on had no issues, very good signal strength (right in front of the office). Bed was very good, not too firm or soft and NOT sagging in the middle. The staff overall was very good.

Breakfast was a bit above average in some respects (I stay in a lot of RI's) with plain Greek yogurt and a standard strawberry for the granola, fruit was OK, fresh bananas and some cut honeydew melon. Standard drinks including Hot Chocolate were off to the side. Scrambled eggs (with an omelet variation on two days) all three days, bacon, sausage, and ham were on different days, and fresh flour tortillas all three days, ans the standard waffles and cold cereal.

The pool and hot pool looked good but did not use them, and there is a shallow kiddy pool, the work out room is simple with a bike and two treadmills.

There is a small safe in the room that you have to put your password in to shut and open it, very good idea for us with poor memories.

For younger and in shape folks, the main gate is within walking distance, for those with wee ones or with physical ailments, the ART bus services this hotel, reasonable cost and wait times.

The bad. This is an aging hotel. Closet doors are sticking, the refrigerator ice maker did not work (they tried to repair it and replace it but it did not work, but they gave use several bags of crushed ice from the kitchen) , had an oven but no baking dishes, although the stove top stuff worked for what we cooked.

Overall, a nice place to stay if you do not mind aging infrastructure, very nice staff. The Disney rep and front desk helped a lot when we realized that our Disney tickets were 12 hours away and with a bit of help from them and our ticket agent, we were ready to go when the gates opened up. Needed a sewing kit and some band-aids, no problem.

Room Tip: Two story eight-plexes, no elevators.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vanessa S, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Hi 1Ray,

Thank you for your response. I have to tell you, your glowing response of our hearty breakfast has resulted in an unexpected craving for fluffy scrambled eggs and warm tortillas!

I am thrilled to hear that you found our staff to be kind & helpful! Our hotel has been an Anaheim/Disneyland favorite for years and we've welcomed thousands of happy families through our doors. That being said, after years of hustling & bustling parents, grandparents, & kids - our hotel can use the tiniest bit of rouge & lipstick here and there. Please know, we are working on encourging OUR bosses into determining a renovation date (and your message is helping us!). We ask that if you, or any of our guests, see something in particular that we can improve - please tell us!! We will do whatever we can to ensure you are happy & comfortable.

Thank you again for your feedback! We hope to see you and your family again soon!

Vanessa Sah, Manager
vsah@rimhospitality.com
714-782-0046 (Direct Line)

Been to Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate? Share your experiences!