“Excellent hotel and nicely updated” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #24 of 112 hotels in Anaheim
San Diego, California, United States
“Excellent hotel and nicely updated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I checked in Friday and because of my Marriott Gold status, I was immediately upgraded to the penthouse suite. This was a very nice surprise because of the added space, extra bathroom, and nice selection of sleeping arrangements! The room was very clean, the kitchen had nice granite countertops, and the TV's all worked very well.The beds were very comfortable and made for a great afternoon nap!

The hotel's hot tub and pool were both at perfect temperatures and would be nice for larger groups. I was surprised that the pool is open 24 hours. The hotel offers snacks in the evening, and and Friday it was basic chips/salsa/guacamole/ salsa. Not great, but workable. The breakfast buffet is chaotic from all of the families who act as if they will never eat again. That being said, the staff kept the food well-stocked and warm.

I want to stay at this hotel next time I plan a weekend trip to Disneyland.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Kimberly R, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Robert M,

Thank you very much for your review on our hotel. I am glad that my staff was able to accommodate you with a larger suite for added space and comfort. It is great to read that you enjoyed a few of the amenities that we provide on property. You are correct that our pool and hot tub are both open 24 hours (quiet time after 10pm), which is a great way to relax after an exhausting day at the park. Also as you mentioned, we do host social hours for our guests on Monday's, Wednesday's and every other Friday's. On Monday's we offer a nacho bar with soft pretzels, Wednesday's are our BBQ nights where we grill hot dogs and hamburgers and serve them with chips, potato salad and regular salad and on every other Friday's we offer light snacks such as chips and dip and cheese and crackers.

We look forward to your trip back very soon! Please don't hesitate to contact us for any assistance when booking!

956 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Manteca, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

5th time visiting Disneyland with our 3 girls (16,14,10) over the past 12 years and have stayed at 5 different locations, including: Desert Inn, Embassy Suites, Disneyland Hotel, Tropicana and now the Residence Inn.

We would say this is a top choice, especially now that there isn't a free shuttle, because it had a kitchen, extra meals on certain nights, and a more-than-continental breakfast.

The room itself was good (1511 queen studio), was the only room available during our stay in Mid October. The sofa bed was terrible. We called in advance & they said it was a queen size, but it was about a twin size, so we used our twin air mattress, but would've brought our queen air mattress had we known. Housekeeping did bring us 3 mattress pads & an extra comforter to make it more comfortable & our girls took turns sleeping on it over our 4 night stay.

There was a hair on the main bed sheets when we checked, but other than that, the room was very clean.

Great hair products provided. lots of towels, pillows & plenty of room to put 4 girls bathroom necessities. Could use more towel racks and closet space was tight.

We made good use of the extra plugs on the kitchen table to charge our electronics. Liked the sliding door to get light/fresh air in room. Kitchen was well stocked for us, roomy & loved the free popcorn to snack on before bed.

Common area was comfortable with 2 computers for use, hang out area to read or play the Pac-Man video game. Didn't use the bbq area w/fire pit, but looked nice and didn't use the pool which was very popular.

Loved the fresh water with lemons/cucumbers in the lobby. We looked forward to it as we trekked back from Disneyland. It's not that far, but the weather was in the 90's, so it makes it seem farther.

We missed the Monday night nachos, but made it to the Wednesday night bbq of hot dog/hamburgers, lemonade, chips, potato salad, pasta salad, and chili. What a plus! Saved us on dinner expense that night, for sure!

Breakfast was good, not Embassy cooked to order, but offered a variety:
eggs, make yourself waffles, bacon/ham/sausage (alternating), pancakes (not very good), beans w/tortillas to make burritos, breakfast potatoes, cold cereals, machine dispensed juice (not very good), coffee, tea, always 2 fruits cut up with 2 kinds of yogurts (one plain,one fruity), plain oatmeal w/several toppings, & an assortment of breads to toast.
It was always busy, but plenty of room to sit & staff was good at cleaning area.

Disney Hotel is way more expensive than it used to be and there is no free breakfast & you pay for parking, where here it was included. Emabassy is great, but no kitchen and a lot farther. This was a good compromise between the both and it wasn't a low class hotel. We would stay again but get a bigger room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear TheVez5,

Thank you for your thoroughly written response. I see that you have had your fair share of "testing the waters" when it came to searching for the perfect hotel for Disneyland. Luckily, you found our hotel to be the most suitable for you. Like many other guests, they tend to select our hotel over other because of a few things such as our location (10-15 minute walk), our free buffet breakfast served daily, our fully equipped suites and our complimentary WIFI and parking.

I would like to apologize for some of the things you encountered upon entering the room. I have notified my Director of Operations about the hair that was on the bed when arriving. Rest assured that we do take small matters like this very seriously as to make sure it does not happen again. I am glad that the housekeeping team provided you with mattress pads, we understand that comfort is important and we do all that we can to make sure our guests are content.

Thank you for all the great information for our Trip Advisor users.

Rohnert Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We have been going to this hotel for 10 years now, Some times several times a year. They greet us by name when we check in. The staff are wonderful! One year I mentioned my daughters birthdday is on the day we were to be there and when we checked in there was a beautiful cake in the fridge!!!! The grounds are very pretty and it is like home to us. We will be there again the week after Thanks Giving!!!! YEA!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear evette412,

Wow! Thank you so much for your loyalty to not only our property but to Marriott as well. I am most proud that my team was a huge reason why you decided to return to our hotel. We cannot wait to see you back again and don't hesitate to say "hello"!

Vancouver BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Had stayed here in 2010 and vowed to return due to that great stay. Was not disappointed on our return visit. Came for a long weekend with my two boys and another couple in the penthouse suite. Lots of room, clean, comfortable beds (except for the pull out couch, but when are those ever comfortable anywhere. Maybe some sort of memory foam topper or something could be added to the rooms to make those a little better??) Staff are very pleasant and accommodating. Breakfast is good with a change up of some items everyday. Disney desk in the lobby is handy and the ART is direct from site to Disneyland. Ate at the Cheesecake Factory twice this trip as it is always good food (and a change from the usual Disney fare) and having the kitchen in our room is great for bringing home the leftovers for later. **TIP: Take the ART #2 from Disneyland which drops you off at the Gardenwalk mall. Go upstairs to the restaurant and walk back to the resort to drop off your leftovers before hoping on the #7 to go back to Disneyland in the evening.** As a Disney traveler who doesn't rent a car, the grocery shopping service is wonderful! Hand in your order by 9am and your drinks/water bottles are cold in your fringe when you get back. Will be back again soon! Thank you.

Room Tip: Was in #22 which was in the corner at a cross road. Thought it would be noisy with traffic. Didn...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear loves2travel71,

Thank you for such an information packed review! I love to read when guests give hints/advice for other guests because it is very helpful for them when planning out their busy days, plus it is always great to receive suggestions from others. That being said, your ART(Anaheim Resort Transit) drop off tip is a vital tip for the guests that are hungry after walking all day at the park and want to go straight to the dining options at the Anaheim Garden Walk. Not only is the ART a transportation for Disneyland, but it also drops off in other locations such as Target, The Outlets of Orange and even the Convention Center. As you mentioned, it can indeed come in handy if you decide not to purchase a rental vehicle.

I am glad to see that the Penthouse accommodated BOTH couples comfortably! We do offer mattress pads for the sofa bed for added comfort. My suggestion for your future visit is to advise the front desk before or upon arriving so they are able to arrange that for you.
We cannot wait to see you back. Thank you again so much for your great review!

grand island, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I just spent a week at this Residence Inn. We have no children and its obvious its a family oriented hotel, however, the rooms are comfortable and quiet! The only time we encountered noise was at the wonderful breakfast, which is totally acceptable! We would DEfINITELY stay there again! All inquiries were answered and the room was always tended to in a timely and complete manner! Thank you Residence Inn for a great week!M

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear hester186

Wow! Thank you so much for your wonderful response! You definitely represent the portion of our guests that stay for reasons other than Disney. We welcome all sorts of travelers from business to extended stay and the most popular are groups (sports, dance, family etc.). I am so glad that you enjoyed our complimentary free buffet breakfast. As you can tell, this is one of the most popular amenities that we offer on property. With that being said, for future travelers, our rush our during breakfast is mainly between 8:30-9:30am. Due to the fact that breakfast hours are 6:30-9:30am during the weekdays and 7-10am on the weekends, some alternatives are to enjoy your meal on our outdoor patios or enjoy the meal in the comforts of your own "home away from home".

Your review was a pleasure to read and we are excited to accommodate you on your next trip down to the Anaheim Resort area.

Edmonton, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed at this property for a family trip to Disneyland with our two children, and both sets of Grandparents. This property was perfect for us. The property consists of many 2 storey buildings. We requested and received a ground floor unit, and had both sets of Grandparents in the same building next door. We were able to park directly in front of our unit. The whole place is very family oriented, both in terms of the services offered, and in terms of the overall "atmosphere." Friendly service was provided by everyone from the front desk to housekeeping. We made use of the kitchen facilities, including the BBQ's which the front desk even lit for us!

The property is about a 10-15 minute walk to the Disneyland main gate. We never made use of the shuttle service. The Cheesecake Factory restaurant down the road was excellent, but the "Garden Walk" mall that it is located in was very disappointing with likely 80% of the store spaces vacant.

This property was recommended to us not only on Tripadvisor, but also by friends. We would definitely stay here again for a family visit to Disneyland.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to parking if you need that.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear LGirl,

I appreciate such a great review you have written about your stay with us! I have noticed that many of our guests enjoy the exterior entrance as opposed to the standard high rise hotel because it makes guests feel as if they are staying at their "home away from home". The front office team does a magnificent job at assigning parties as close as possible together. Though this can sometimes not always be a guarantee, we definitely look for alternatives to make you as comfortable as possible. With that being said, I am glad that you experienced great customer service from all my team members.

The Garden Walk has been experiencing some rearrangements and renovations lately, which has them limited on shopping places. You are correct that the restaurants they offer all great choices: The Cheesecake Factory, Bubba Gump Shrimp, P.F. Changs, California Pizza Kitchen and Roy's Hawaiian Fusion are just a few to name. Fortunately for our hungry guests, all of these restaurants are located directly across the street from us!

Thank you again for your great response and we cannot wait for your next return!

Camarillo, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

After doing a lot of research for my honeymoon next April, my fiance and I thought the Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate looked promising. But when I called to make a reservation, the lady in that department said, "You want to stay there for your honeymoon? It's more of a family hotel, apartment style...I wouldn't want to, personally!"

So I didn't book with her and took down the names of two other hotels she said would be better. I decided to get a second opinion and tried the front desk, who seconded the opinion.

I'm on a tight budget, so I can't afford something too swanky, but I was really surprised that the hotel's staff would advise me against staying with them after I'd heard such great reviews about their service. I suppose I should appreciate their honesty, though. I might book with them anyway, but will be looking at my 2nd and 3rd choices before I do anything else.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tahila88,

Thank you for your time in writing a response to our hotel. I would like to first and foremost apologize for some of the responses you have received while looking to booking our hotel. It is true that our hotel is mainly geared toward the Disneyland crowd. However, we welcome all other types of travelers with open arms. In fact, it is common that when guests notify us of an anniversary/honeymoon celebration our front desk team goes out of their way to put together a special treat for the celebrating couple.

I would like to now take time to give you a couple of reasons why our property would be a great location for you:

1) We offer a complimentary full hot buffet breakfast provided every morning and it is included with the room. This amenity is not only delicious, it can end up saving guests a great deal of money.
2) Our 25 exterior buildings allow for guests to have the perfect amount of privacy.
3) Due to the fact that we are located in the heart of Anaheim, there are plenty of attractions to stay occupied aside from the shopping and dining selections. To name a few: Angel Stadium, the Honda Center, the Anaheim Convention Center and of course Disneyland.

I hope that you will still continue to keep our hotel in mind for any future visits. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at your convenience at 714) 782-0047 or at krosales@rimhospitality.com.

Front Office Supervisor

Been to Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate? Share your experiences!