“Great place to stay with close proximity to Disneyland!” 4 of 5 stars

Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #42 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersBronze level
Oceanside, California
“Great place to stay with close proximity to Disneyland!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had a good experience here. The Red Lion Anaheim was a relatively inexpensive choice for a place to stay close to Disneyland for my family Christmas trip. I booked two rooms under the special "Roarin' California" (or something like that) deal for $99/night, which included the usually $14/night parking and the breakfast buffet. It was a much better deal than any other place nearby, with pretty good ratings too.

My husband and I arrived the night before the rest of the family did and checked in with ease after the 3 pm check in time. Our room had a view of the roof of the building next to us (con) but also the Tower of Terror and nightly fireworks (big pro!). The room itself was clean and well-stocked, nothing out of the ordinary.

Our shower had a lone curly, black hair on the bottom of the tub - gross. I was willing to overlook that one. One of our towels smelled like Indian food... hm. The laminated TV guide menu was sticky... I'll just memorize which channel A&E is on, I guess. The pillows are itty bitty and very firm, while the mattress was springy and slightly uncomfortable - I woke up with a crick in the neck the next morning. To be fair, I have a very luxurious mattress at home that's hard to match ;)

The proximity to Disneyland was great, but we drove anyway :) The breakfast buffet was more abundant than I'm used to at a hotel. We didn't experience the housekeeping because I kept the "privacy please" tag in the door even when we left the room - I didn't want to experience a missing iPhone or wallet like another patron mentioned in his review!

Overall the deal was great and if we get another chance to stay at that rate, we will.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chris A, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry for the imperfections that you mentioned, but please know that we will try to make everything perfect the next time you come and stay with us. If you need help with reservations, please feel free to contact me. Best regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

A good walking distance to the Convention Center, and close to Disneyland as well. The entrance at check-in was slightly confusing (I actually made 2 attempts to find my way in) cause I arrived at night. Other than that, everything is well. Amenities include microwave and refrigerator - very convenient. I recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to read that you were not able to locate the entrance to check-in. But, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. I hope that you will consider us again the next time you are in Anaheim. Best regards!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Whie I admit I'm a bit bias about hotels.....and I really do like my hotel stays to be a bit on the pampering side....especially when paying a couple hundred a night usually. I'd rank the Red Lion in Anaheim as average. The location was great for attending a Trade Show at the Convention center and it offers easy walking access to a lot of restaurants.
The rooms are clean and well maintained...but here's the problems I have with this hotel...or at least my room. The tub could not be used as a tub because the shower head starts dripping and spaying when the water is on. This was disspointing for me since my feet could have really used a soak after a long day on the show floor. The thermostat settings are next to impossible to figure out and to control a temperature and when the fan is running it's extremely loud.
The restaurant is pretty much a joke...all it is, is a buffet line for a continental type meal. And not open for lunch. The bar is pretty much hidden and closes at 9:30. And the internet service is a joke.
All in all, if you want a clean room to sleep and shower in - you'll love it. If you want a pampered atmosphere at all - not the hotel to stay at.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay. I want you to know that I have shared your comments with our Management Team to address the areas that you mentioned. Our goal is to ensure all our guests enjoy a comfortable stay. I hope that you will give us another chance and stay with us again. Until then, thank you for your feedback. Best regards!
Poway, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This hotel is perfect for visiting Disneyland and lots of restaurant choices, expensive and not so expensive. Our room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. Adequate parking, but it is $14/day so don't be surprised by that. We used the WiFi and that worked well. The front desk staff are helpful and our check-in was quick and efficient.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chris A, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us! I am happy to read that you enjoyed you visit! You are correct in that there are many different dining options available near our hotel. For sit down style restaurants there is the Anaheim GardenWalk or Downtown Disney and for quick food on the go, there are pizza, Mexican, and sandwiches across the street from our hotel. Some of these quick food locations are open 24 hours. Thank you for your review and I look forward to your next stay with us. Best regards!
spore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We got this hotel at promotional price of $70USD. Its a 2 double bed room, for 2 adults and 2 child. There's a 24 hour restaurant just beside it. Hotel access is easy. About 2 junctions away from Disneyland, 10 minutes walk. 7-Eleven about 5 mins walk. Clean room & toilet. The wall looks like tiles, but its actually wallpaper. You can request for room facing Disney to watch fireworks from your room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! It is true that we are only a 10 – 15 minute walk to Disneyland (approx. 300 yards). We also are within walking distance of several restaurants. Please know that if you ever need assistance with reservations, please feel free to contact me. I hope that you will visit us again the next time you are back in Anaheim. Best regards!
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The hotel was nice enough. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It was kinda noisy as it's on a busy street and it's only a few blocks from Disney so when they do the fireworks it's LOUD. It made my dog bark. They only charge $20 for a pet to stay which is a LOT less than other hotels in the area. But the food at the restaurant was DISGUSTING! I wasn't expecting much. It was clearly a cheap restaurant. But I was expecting the food to be edible and it wasn't. I ordered spaghetti and salad. The dressing came separately and it was congealed looking and gross. I wasn't going to touch that. Then the pasta came. I figured 'How bad can pasta be?'. The answer was VERY BAD. It was gummy and gross. I ate two bites and I was done even though I was starving. And the waitress didn't even ask if there was anything wrong even though I clearly didn't eat anything.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had in our restaurant. Based on your feedback, our Director of Food and Beverage is looking to make changes to our menu. He will also be looking in to your comments of food quality. On the other hand, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the other aspects of our hotel. I encourage you to contact me the next time you are back in our area. I would appreciate the opportunity to share with you a dining experience more typical of our hotel. Until then, best regards!
Bakersfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Everything that we experienced at this hotel was fantastic. We had a great view of the Disneyland Fireworks Show. All of the employees that we interacted with were professional, friendly, and helpful. The fire pits in the pool area are a nice touch and conducive to meeting and visiting with other guests. I didn't partake in the smores but heard they were delicious. We will definately stay here the next time we are in the area.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view overlooking Disneyland and are a great location to watch the fireworks show.