“Family-friendly” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Surprise, Arizona
“Family-friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights in early January for our daughter's first trip to Disneyland, so we wanted something family-friendly, but not at the expense of a quiet room and good bed. We definitely chose the right hotel for that. Beds had good quality linens and were comfortable. The breakfast buffet was average, but it saved us time in the mornings and the staff were very friendly. Our second floor window faced a wall and some pipes, so nothing spectacular there. We couldn't have seen the fireworks if we'd wanted to, but we didn't mind. We did order room service (bland pizza and boring salads) one night, and I wouldn't recommend it. Overall, we were pleased with the Red Lion and would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chris A, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am sorry that you did not get the view type that you expected. We do offer Premium Theme Park View Rooms when you book your stay that have views of the Disney theme parks. Also, from our pool deck, you can see the fireworks when they are on display. If you join us on Fridays and Saturdays, join us for somores from 8pm - 9pm. Thank you for your review and I hope to have you back again soon! Best regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This was a lovely hotel near Disneyland. We were able to park our car at the hotel for the day and take a shuttle or taxi to the park. The shuttle is $5/day ($2/senior) and the taxi was $5/1way. Parking at Disney is $15/day while you are already paying $14/day at the hotel.
We had a medium size dog with us at $20/day. They allow you to walk the dog in the courtyard between the buildings and in the parking lot. They don't supply doggie bags for the pick-up so be sure to bring your own.
Our hotel room fee included breakfast (ordinarily $10) which was quite good. It was buffet but included both hot and cold items.
The room was lovely and clean but the TV didn't work very well.
There is free, easy to get on wi-fi.
We would stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of our pet friendly rooms. Please keep in mind that we only change a one time fee of $20 for any guest who registers a pet. Also, thank you for your comments regarding doggie bags, that is something that I will bring up to the rest of our Management Team and consider. If your travels bring you back to the Anaheim area, please keep is in mind. Thank you again for your review. Best regards!
Klamath Falls, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Our family has stayed at this hotel for a week a summer for the last 5 years and we are going to again this summer. We have enjoyed our stay every time. The rooms are very clean and the staff is always friendly and helpful. Great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you being a member of our hotel's "pride" of loyal guests. I appreciate your loyalty over the past five years. Please keep me in mind the next time you are back in our area. I would be more than happy to assist you with your next reservation. Best regards!
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed at the Red Lion in November. This was our kids first trip to Disneyland. We also traveled with my parents and so when we booked we asked for adjoining rooms. The lady at the front desk said she would "make a note on our file but could not ensure we would". I expressed since we were traveling with small children this was a priority. Through my own research, I came across "Chris Allengue's" contact information *who works at the Red Lion* and informed him of my situation. He was more that accommodating and we had adjoining rooms! That made all the difference in our stay with you guys. The buffet breakfast in the morning was a great way to start the day. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Thanks again for making it such a great stay! Would stay again - and have recommended this hotel to friends and strangers :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments with our TripAdvisor Readers! Also, I am happy to read that you enjoyed the accommodations that I setup for you. My Staff and I will do everything we can to ensure our guest's requests are met. Thank you again for your feedback and for reaching out to me in regards to your request. When you are back in the area, please do not hesitate to contact me. It would be my pleasure to assist you with your next reservation! Best regard!
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed overnight with our grandson in December 2013. Our room was clean and comfortable. Comfy beds and linens, roomy bathroom. Good amenities in the room which made it family friendly. The staff was helpful, and the location was within walking distance to the D-Parks. You have to pay for parking, but they did offer on check-out day that we could leave our car until the park closed at no extra charge.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Desiree B, Front Office Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and would love to see you and your family back in the future. It is our goal to make sure all of our guests have an enjoyable and memorable stay and I am very pleased to hear that we provided you and your family with this experience
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed at the Red Lion in January. The Red Lion hotel and staff exceeded out expectaions. The Hotel was very clean and the staff was very helpful and courteous. Our hotel stay included 2 hot breakfasts which was very good. There was a wide variety of choices and was good quality. The lobby had vending machines and fully stocked gift shops with snacks to take along with you to Disneyland. We will definitely be stayin here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please be sure to keep us in mind the next time you are back in Anaheim. If you are in need of reservation assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. Best regards!
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I had done a great deal of research concerning lodging in Anaheim. We planned a six night stay away from home for the holidays, so the last thing I wanted to do is sacrifice comfort for savings. There are a considerable number of hotels available near the park at reasonable rates. I have tried several in the area, yet Red Lion is a chain with many Northwest locations that I have positive firsthand experience with. By booking in advance, I received a good rate and I was satisfied with the value overall. Upon arrival, I was impressed with the nice lobby and so happy the hotel decorated for the holidays. As we decided not to stay home for Christmas, it was nice to be greeted by seasonal decor.

One of the factors I like about the hotel is the interior hallway and room entrances. I don’t like the feel of a “motor inn” with guests having full view of my family through the window. The more traditional hotel hallway provides a little more quiet and safety. We were originally placed on the top floor, but asked to move when I immediately noticed a rhythmic ventilation noise that I knew would begin to bother us within one evening. We were promptly reassigned to the 4th floor.

The beds were comfortable and the bathroom spacious. I liked the closet but wished there were drawers in the furniture rather than ‘cubbies’. (I hate to live out of a suitcase but dont like laying my unmentionables out in the open.) The modern décor and amenities (hair dryer, iron, microwave, room safe to name a few) made this room a comfortable stay for the week. The TV was a large flat screen and we only had a couple of glitchy moments watching HD channels.

I do want to ask one question: What is the all the praise for Keurig coffee makers? The coffee is disgusting! And all we need is more plastic… (don’t get me started). I had wished for an old fashioned machine to brew water and make my own tea. Anyway, I preferred the coffee at 7-11 over that to what I could make in the room. Luckily there is plenty of convenient dining and shopping nearby.

We did try the buffet one morning. It was hot and fresh, and likely worth the value of including it in the room rate had we booked that. We personally preferred the breakfast burrito at Alertos just a short walk to the corner of Harbor and Katella. The hotel does have a small selection of sandwiches, salads, snacks and beverages available for those who don't want to leave the building. There is also a well stocked gift shop.

My ipad didn't like the wifi but my daughter's computer picked it up well. It wasn't a problem as the business center in the hotel offered super fast internet and free printing.

The pool was warm! It was wonderful one morning to jump in the water and stretch out muscles sore from walking through the parks for days. In the summer, I imagine this is a much busier space, with direct access to the bar and plenty of seating. However even during our chilly December stay, we enjoyed having time in this little peaceful space.

We purchased 5 day ART passes and used them as needed. We usually picked up a ride in front of the shopping center at the corner as more routes frequent that stop. The hotel is the last stop on the route, which makes GOING to the park fast, but coming back a little slower. It is faster to walk back from the park than wait for the bus, but on days when your feet hurt, the waiting really doesn't matter if you have the patience. A word of caution: If you plan on using ART to attend the show at Medieval Times, note that the bus returning will likely be leaving the restaurant before the show is over. (The cab ride from the show is about $25 btw).

The staff, hands down, were wonderful. From the front desk, to the room attendants, restaurant, bellman and the gift shop cashier- very nice people. It shows that the company works to keep their staff professional and customer minded. kudos!

In the 'grand scheme' of things, this is not a 5 star hotel. There are more luxury accommodations in the area. However, this hotel was perfect for the family who is staying in the area to visit theme parks and other attractions. It was a great 'home base' to come back to in the evening, kick the shoes off and get sleep before starting all over again the next day. For the price, service and peaceful experience, I have to give Red Lion a top rating.

Room Tip: Let the staff help you if you find something not up to par. I found them very helpful.