“Great Stay :)” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Canada
“Great Stay :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed at the Red Lion in November. This was our kids first trip to Disneyland. We also traveled with my parents and so when we booked we asked for adjoining rooms. The lady at the front desk said she would "make a note on our file but could not ensure we would". I expressed since we were traveling with small children this was a priority. Through my own research, I came across "Chris Allengue's" contact information *who works at the Red Lion* and informed him of my situation. He was more that accommodating and we had adjoining rooms! That made all the difference in our stay with you guys. The buffet breakfast in the morning was a great way to start the day. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Thanks again for making it such a great stay! Would stay again - and have recommended this hotel to friends and strangers :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Chris A, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with our TripAdvisor Readers! Also, I am happy to read that you enjoyed the accommodations that I setup for you. My Staff and I will do everything we can to ensure our guest's requests are met. Thank you again for your feedback and for reaching out to me in regards to your request. When you are back in the area, please do not hesitate to contact me. It would be my pleasure to assist you with your next reservation! Best regard!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed overnight with our grandson in December 2013. Our room was clean and comfortable. Comfy beds and linens, roomy bathroom. Good amenities in the room which made it family friendly. The staff was helpful, and the location was within walking distance to the D-Parks. You have to pay for parking, but they did offer on check-out day that we could leave our car until the park closed at no extra charge.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Desiree B, Front Office Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and would love to see you and your family back in the future. It is our goal to make sure all of our guests have an enjoyable and memorable stay and I am very pleased to hear that we provided you and your family with this experience
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed at the Red Lion in January. The Red Lion hotel and staff exceeded out expectaions. The Hotel was very clean and the staff was very helpful and courteous. Our hotel stay included 2 hot breakfasts which was very good. There was a wide variety of choices and was good quality. The lobby had vending machines and fully stocked gift shops with snacks to take along with you to Disneyland. We will definitely be stayin here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please be sure to keep us in mind the next time you are back in Anaheim. If you are in need of reservation assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. Best regards!
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I had done a great deal of research concerning lodging in Anaheim. We planned a six night stay away from home for the holidays, so the last thing I wanted to do is sacrifice comfort for savings. There are a considerable number of hotels available near the park at reasonable rates. I have tried several in the area, yet Red Lion is a chain with many Northwest locations that I have positive firsthand experience with. By booking in advance, I received a good rate and I was satisfied with the value overall. Upon arrival, I was impressed with the nice lobby and so happy the hotel decorated for the holidays. As we decided not to stay home for Christmas, it was nice to be greeted by seasonal decor.

One of the factors I like about the hotel is the interior hallway and room entrances. I don’t like the feel of a “motor inn” with guests having full view of my family through the window. The more traditional hotel hallway provides a little more quiet and safety. We were originally placed on the top floor, but asked to move when I immediately noticed a rhythmic ventilation noise that I knew would begin to bother us within one evening. We were promptly reassigned to the 4th floor.

The beds were comfortable and the bathroom spacious. I liked the closet but wished there were drawers in the furniture rather than ‘cubbies’. (I hate to live out of a suitcase but dont like laying my unmentionables out in the open.) The modern décor and amenities (hair dryer, iron, microwave, room safe to name a few) made this room a comfortable stay for the week. The TV was a large flat screen and we only had a couple of glitchy moments watching HD channels.

I do want to ask one question: What is the all the praise for Keurig coffee makers? The coffee is disgusting! And all we need is more plastic… (don’t get me started). I had wished for an old fashioned machine to brew water and make my own tea. Anyway, I preferred the coffee at 7-11 over that to what I could make in the room. Luckily there is plenty of convenient dining and shopping nearby.

We did try the buffet one morning. It was hot and fresh, and likely worth the value of including it in the room rate had we booked that. We personally preferred the breakfast burrito at Alertos just a short walk to the corner of Harbor and Katella. The hotel does have a small selection of sandwiches, salads, snacks and beverages available for those who don't want to leave the building. There is also a well stocked gift shop.

My ipad didn't like the wifi but my daughter's computer picked it up well. It wasn't a problem as the business center in the hotel offered super fast internet and free printing.

The pool was warm! It was wonderful one morning to jump in the water and stretch out muscles sore from walking through the parks for days. In the summer, I imagine this is a much busier space, with direct access to the bar and plenty of seating. However even during our chilly December stay, we enjoyed having time in this little peaceful space.

We purchased 5 day ART passes and used them as needed. We usually picked up a ride in front of the shopping center at the corner as more routes frequent that stop. The hotel is the last stop on the route, which makes GOING to the park fast, but coming back a little slower. It is faster to walk back from the park than wait for the bus, but on days when your feet hurt, the waiting really doesn't matter if you have the patience. A word of caution: If you plan on using ART to attend the show at Medieval Times, note that the bus returning will likely be leaving the restaurant before the show is over. (The cab ride from the show is about $25 btw).

The staff, hands down, were wonderful. From the front desk, to the room attendants, restaurant, bellman and the gift shop cashier- very nice people. It shows that the company works to keep their staff professional and customer minded. kudos!

In the 'grand scheme' of things, this is not a 5 star hotel. There are more luxury accommodations in the area. However, this hotel was perfect for the family who is staying in the area to visit theme parks and other attractions. It was a great 'home base' to come back to in the evening, kick the shoes off and get sleep before starting all over again the next day. For the price, service and peaceful experience, I have to give Red Lion a top rating.

Room Tip: Let the staff help you if you find something not up to par. I found them very helpful.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your honest review of our hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the features and amenities of our property. including our complimentary business center and wifi. I also must agree with you that we are the perfect hotel for a family going to Disneyland. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to your next stay with us. Best regards!
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

me and my family spent a week at this hotel in aug2009 thay were just refurbing at the time the old part of the building was good and the new part was even better on this trip we stayed at 7 hotels this one was secound best but best in anaheim staff were great and very helpfull with information. we had no complaints with the hotel room was clean and made daily it is only a 10 minute walk from the disney park and a 10 min drive to knotts berry park .

Room Tip: plenty of food outlet within walking distance ( less than 5 min for every thing ) and a bar on site
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chris A, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for letting our TripAdvisor Readers know about your stay with us! I am pleased to read that we were one of the best hotels during your stay! I hope that you come back and visit us again soon! If you need assistance with your reservation, please feel free to contact me! Best regards!
Poulsbo, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from Jan 1 - 4. The beds were great, overall the room was clean, and we slept well, however, when we arrived there was a gross ring around the bathtub of scum and hair - it had not been cleaned from a prior traveler! My wife didn't want to report it at the time for fear of retaliation from service personnel, as we had valuables in the room - so we cleaned it ourselves.
Also, we had booked this room with AAA for 2 nights, and then added a night with AAA. They ended up charging us $50. more for our 2nd night, and I had to spend about 15 minutes on the phone from Disneyland to straighten it out.
The breakfast was good and was included for all 4 of us the first 2 mornings, but only 2 of us the 3rd morning, and I paid $1.00 more for that night.
We did have an evacuation on the 2nd morning with a fire alarm that woke us out of bed, but those things happen.
Overall, other than the issues above, we did enjoy the room and the view from the room over the pool and toward Disneyland, so without the above, I'd give it a 4, but I feel like it should be a 2 1/2 due to the above.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
I am sorry to read about the challenges you experienced. I can understand your frustration. I am happy to read that you did enjoy the other aspects of your stay. I would love to be able to offer you a special discounted rate the next time you are back. I hope then you will be able to experience a stay more typical of our hotel. Again, my apologies and I thank you for your feedback. Best regards!
Simi Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We only spent one night on 1/2/13. Check in was easy and room was clean. The room had a refridge and microwave which is always nice to have. Nice hotel by the parks. We would stay again. There is a restaurant onsite which comes in handy. The pool was too cold for my liking but people were swimming.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. If your travel plans bring you back to Anaheim, please feel free to contact me. It would be my pleasure to assist you. Best regards!

Been to Red Lion Hotel Anaheim? Share your experiences!