“family friendly” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“family friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed here at the end of our trip, rooms are very clean and comfortable - although the air con sounds like you area about to take off!!! The shower was the best I'd had in the US.
Parking was easy and the walk to Disneyland was quick and straight.
I didnt have breakfast in the hotel but there was an Ihop next door that was cheap and had great servie - and a bunch of restaurants around the corner.

The only thing I dont get was a $40 a night holding fee - yes you get it back but after staying at many hotels in my many travels around the world this was a first....unwarranted and annoying when you are staying for multiple nights (most hotels charge a nominal fee and they have a credit card inprint anyhow) ....

This hotel should be very proud of their room cleaning staff the best Ive experienced on this trip to the US.

Room Tip: try and get one with Disneyland fireworks view - amazing
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Desiree B, Front Office Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at our hotel. I am very pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay and would love to have you back for another memorable and enjoyable stay.

Our incidental deposit is in place because we are a full service hotel that has a Restaurant and Bar on property this is why we require an deposit at check in so that all of our guest have the luxury of having room service brought to your room and also the option to enjoy our Restaurant and Bar during your stay making it easier and quicker to just bill the charges to your room.

Please let me know if I could assist you with any future reservations I will be more then happy to assist you with any questions or concerns.

1,534 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Modesto, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at the Red Lion Hotel for 4 nights and everyday we encountered some kind of issue. The "low" blower on the air didn't work and so we had to keep it on high at night and it was so loud we couldn't sleep. The exhaust fan in the bathroom didn't work and it was so hot when trying to shower we almost passed out. The breakfast was gross so we only ate there one morning, we had purchased to eat there every day but nobody wanted to eat there again, the restaurant was dirty and my daughter got sick after breakfast. When we checked in we were told at the front desk we would be paying cash and were told that we needed a credit card to put a charge of $40.00 a day but to our surprise they took out the entire amount of the hotel plus the $160,00 which put us in a great bind during our stay, So we were out the extra amount for breakfast and the extra amount on the hotel bill. The ART ran about 40-45 late everyday so we ended up taking a taxi a couple of times. We will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Do not stay here at all
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Chris A, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read about all the challenges you experienced. I know that if I was in your shoes, I would feel the same way. I do want to let you know that the hotel does require a deposit for incidentals of $40 per day and $200 per stay. This is to cover room service, gift shop purchases, etc. In the event that nothing is charged to the room, the deposit is put back on the card within 3 – 5 business days or refund in cash if cash was given for the deposit. In regards to ART, I have filed a complaint with ART based on your feedback. Shuttle service runs every 20 minutes on the hour. They begin 30 minutes prior to park opening and 30 minutes after park closing. Again, I am sorry for the challenges you experienced. I hope that you will reconsider and visit us again the next time you are in town. If I can be of assistance, please let me know. Best regards!
Coarsegold, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had planned a trip to Disneyland for months. When we arrived at this hotel, the front desk personnel were very friendly and accommodating, and we were excited to be on the top floor, hoping to glimpse a peak of Disneyland from our window. Upon entering the room, the first thing we noticed is the loud sound coming from above. It sounded like a helicopter was on the roof directly above us. This went on for awhile, before we called the front desk. Staff said she would have engineering check it out, and we were told later that someone had turned whatever it was off. We went to bed tired and happy to be without the noise.

The next day, after walking around Disneyland from open to close, we returned to our room exhausted, and the "helicopter" was back. We again called the front desk and were told she would take care of it. Thirty minutes later, the noise was still going, so we called the front desk again. This time we talked to the manager and were told that it could not be turned off and should not have been turned off the night before. We asked her how they could rent out this room under these conditions and were told that some people complain about the continuous noise and that others don't seem to care. (How can anyone sleep with a "helicopter" above them?) One of the staff even admitted that she wouldn't be able to sleep in that room either. We asked to be moved to another room and requested a discount for our inconvenience. The manager and her supervisor then offered a $20 discount.

We understand these kind of things happen, but at this point, we were upset for a number of reasons: after we called and requested the noise be shut off, no one bothered to call back to inform us that the "helicopter" noise was there to stay; secondly, when booking the room, we asked for our AAA discount and were told that the hotel was filling up quickly so this discount was not being offered (from the near-empty parking lot, this did not appear to be true; also, I contacted AAA and if a hotel offers this discount, it can not pick and choose, other than specified black-out dates, when to offer it to potential clientele); third, the manager made it sound like this was a recurring problem with this particular room, while the maintenance person made it sound like the wheel bearing in a fan above us had just gone out very recently. Consequently, we felt lied to and believe this staff needs to get their stories straight. There is definitely a breakdown in communication among staff. In our minds, this $20 token offer did not compensate for our frustration or inconvenience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience. First and foremost, I want to apologize for all the inconveniences that you experienced. I share your frustration that there should not be multiple stories being told, especially from our Management. I want to let you know that I have shared your concerns with our Director of Engineering and he has assured me that your concern has been addressed. In regards to you concern with our AAA rate, depending on the occupancy of the hotel, there are occasions where the AAA rate is not available. For the best up to date pricing, please visit us online. In any case, I would like to ask for the opportunity to make things right. If you plan to visit us again in the near future, please feel free to contact me. Again, please most sincere apologies. Best regards!
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We just spent the Thanksgiving Holiday at the Red Lion. Check in and Check out was extremely quick. Buffet breakfast was excellent value. Disneyland is about a 10 minute walk to the entrance. Our only complaint was the noise. We were on the first level. The physical set-up of the hotel meant that a large percentage of the guests had to walk by our room to get to the elevator. Running kids, loud families, and worst was the door to the staff custodial room...that door slammed shut with an echo everytime. I will stay at the hotel again, but not on the first floor. If it was warm and the pool was to be used, we would have had the noise from the pool outside our window on one side and the noise from the hallway on the other.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry for all the noise that you experienced during your stay. I understand how inconvenient it can be to have all the activity going on around your room. Please keep in mind that my Staff and I are here to ensure you are happy with your stay. If at anytime your accommodations are not to your satisfaction, please let us know. It will be our pleasure to move you to another room or do what we can to address your concern. I hope that your experience has not discouraged you from staying with us again. If you happen to be back in our area, please let me know. Thank you again for your review and I look forward to your next visit. Best regards!
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Good location , close to Disneyland, convenient to everything, room is clean .
Breakfast buffet could be improved with lay out of the food stand to make the line go faster by put it in the middle so people can get food on both side of the buffet. Food quality id good, could be better with more selection.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Based on your feedback, we are looking into redesigning our restaurant area to better serve our guests. I have also shared your comments regarding breakfast selection with our Director of Food and Beverage and we will do our best to accommodate your request. Thank you for staying with us and I hope to have you back again soon. Best regards!
Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

It took me over half an hour to check in because the receptionist insisted that I did not have a reservation, turns out she was not listening and just spelling my name wrong. It took me calling orbitz who I booked the hotel through and her calling a supervisor for my reservation, which was there the whole time, to be found.
The bedroom was pretty nice, comfy bed.
The bathroom smelled like mildew because the bathroom fan was either broken or there wasn't one.
Also keep in mind the walking distance is a real city block, not a quick stroll across the street.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are sorry that we gave you the impression that our location is all we care about. Our goal is to ensure the satisfaction of all our guests. I am so sorry to read about your experience at our Front Desk and I assure you that I will be working with my team to ensure this does not happen again. Anytime you have an issue during your stay please feel free to ask for one of our Managers if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable. I hope that you will come back and give us another chance. Best regards!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Everything was a problem. Front desk was rude during check in. Told me incidental charges would credit back onto my card as soon as I checked out, bathroom was gross and I had to clean it, sheets all had stains, when we called front desk we received rushed and rude answers, had breakfast at hotel and we were shown to an unclean table that had syrup and pancake all over it and no utensils, waiter only came to table to give us check and ask for a tip, pancakes were burnt, juices ran out and weren't refilled, then finally at checkout I was told once again that the incidental charges would be back on my account ASAP. They have not been credited back. Spoke to manager to complain and he said sorry, which doesn't help at all.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am sorry for the experience you had at my hotel. I can appreciate your frustration regarding holds on credit cards. We do hold an authorization of $40 per day and a maximum of $200 per stay for incidentals. Depending on your card’s bank, this process can take 3 – 5 business days to process. I have discussed with our Management Team your concerns regarding our service. I want to assure you that we are addressing your concerns to ensure this does not happen again. If you are still experiencing issues with your card, please feel free to contact our Accounting Department and we will do everything we can to correct the matter. Thank you again for taking the time to share with us your feedback. I hope that you will give us another try and stay with us the next time you are in the area. Best regards!

Been to Red Lion Hotel Anaheim? Share your experiences!