“Old but holding up” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #77 of 115 Hotels in Anaheim
Camarillo, California
“Old but holding up”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stay here each year for The NAMM Show. This place shows signs of age but it remains clean and is a very acceptable 2.5-3 star hotel.

The furniture is a bit dated and the bedding materials a little on the cheap side. There was no closet (just an open rack) or desk in my room with two beds. The bathroom was clean but the fixtures are dated. There were minor cracks in the sink and toilet had a slow leak that caused it to refill every 30 minutes or so. There is an ample-sized refrigerator and two chairs with a small table.

One thing that bothered me was the curtains. There is only one blackout curtain. There is no second shear. In other words, if you want light in the room, you are open to the world. There is a small sliding glass door (that barely secures closed) to a useless terrace. Road noise from Harbor Blvd will probably cause you to keep the door closed at all times.

Outlets are scarce for a modern room. There was one near the table and one near the bathroom. Bring your own outlet strip if you have multiple devices that need charging (I always carry a small one). The only modern amenity was the flat screen TV.

The bar restaurant was closed on this trip but there is another one and you can order items from it and get served in the bar area. My cajun burger w/fries was quite bland. They have some nice beer taps but their keg cooler was apparently broken and their bottle selection included no ales. There is a coin operated karaoke machine in the bar.

Room Tip: Bring an outlet strip if you have multiple devices to charge.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My family and I stayed here in October 2012. It was a lovely clean hotel. The staff were very friendly. My airline lost our luggage the hotel were great at giving out complimentary toiletries such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, shower caps. The room was very comfortable with complimentary tea and coffee. The toilet overflowed one day and I called reception. They sent someone up within a few minutes and had the problem sorted within 10 minuets. I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to anyone. The staff really care about the customers and any repairs are carried out promptly. The hotel was about 15 minuets from the entrance of Disneyland which was the only drawback. But there is a bus that goes directly to the park for a small fee.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lilbourn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

The rooms were pretty outdated and the door to our balcony the lock was messed up on and the curtain was ripped in the bathroom you could see where the towel rack was pulling from the wall the toilet didn't flush very well and the shower head just sprayed on fat stream of water. It says a block from disneyland but its a lot longer than a block and the transit bus that runs that route sucked we always had to wait forever. We only ate breakfast in the hotel and it wad good. When you walk in and see the lobby you would expect the rooms to be super nice and you would expect that for the price but they weren't great...I maybe would stay again if I got a really good deal but would prob pay a little more for a different one in the area

• Stayed December 2012
Montana, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I don't normally write reviews, but our experience at this hotel was so bad, I feel it is my duty to warn any other would-be guests as to what we experienced at this hotel. We chose this hotel because it was close to Disneyland and affordable. In retrospect, I would have gladly paid more for a better hotel. First, we were expecting queen beds and arrived in our room to find small doubles. Not the end of the world, but I was sharing with my sister so it would have been nice to have the queen. Now I wasn't expecting five star quality, or brand new furnishings but this room felt dirty. The bathroom felt dirty. There was hair in the tub and on the floor (EW!!) and the room had a can't-quite-put-my-finger-on-it odor. The next morning, we had the buffet breakfast in their restaurant, Tivoli Gardens and this is where I found the hotel to be absolutely unacceptable. The oatmeal was empy, the waffle batter was empty and when I asked the attendant if she could refill them, she said she would get to it, but never did. We decided to just have cereal because we got tired of waiting and I took one bite of it and actually spit it back out into my bowl! The milk was warm! It tasted foul and when I brought it to the attendants attention, she said "sorry" then walked back into the kitchen and just left it there! Having some experience with the food service industry, I checked the yogurt and found that it too, was warm. I was appalled at the blatant lack of concern about their food safety! Food must be maintained at a proper temperature otherwise it becomes a hot bed for bacteria growth! Food Safety 101!! We couldn't even get rid of our dishes because there was no trash can available in the dining room so other guests actually began piling their dishes on a nearby table that had not yet been cleared. I decided to ask for a manager and when I voiced my concerns about the condition of our room and the health hazard that was their restaurant, I was once again given a "sorry" and an irritated that-all-you're-getting-from-me look. I was furious. Not only were the accommodations lacking and food unsafe, but the service I received was unacceptable. The one and only good thing I can say about this hotel is that it has a decent gift shop.

Room Tip: Choose one in a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed here for a convention for 8 nights. The only good thing about this hotel is it's location to the convention center. It is only two blocks away. For the price, however, I do not understand why they don't update their hotel. Upon arrival, my room was very dirty and my bedding had obviously not been thoroughly tended to as there were hairs all over from the person before me. The carpets looked like they hadn't been vacuumed in weeks and the bath room looked like it had mold on the walls that were just painted over. I went to the downstairs restaurant the first morning and royally regret it. My food was cold, the eggs were powdered, and my sausage was incredibly greasy.

The customer service was so-so. The people at the front desk could have cared less I was there and didn't activate my key correctly for my room until the third try, I made three trips up to my room before I could actually get inside with my luggage.

In all, I would not recommend staying here unless you are desperate.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Kerrville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My friend and I stayed for 4 nights, Nov. 5-9. We were extremely pleased not only with the room but the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. We had the most help from Rick Gomez. He was gracious and always easy to reach for any questions or needs.

The front desk as well as our PR lady, house keeping, and those in the kitchen were wonderful. I would choose this hotel again for future reservations.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Gold Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in room 472 from Wednesday 14 November. After a 12 hour flight from Australia and an interesting Super Shuttle transfer from LAX, we were hoping that we might be able to get early check-in. Sal B on the desk could not have been more helpful in providing us with a great room that we could use straight away. There were three adults in our party and the corner room was a great size. I have seen a number of reviews here very critical of the Clarion and its age, upkeep and appearance. We experienced none of the issues on which other reviewers have posted very negative comments.

I think some people must go out of their way to find fault. Or crawl around on the floor looking for dust balls and other unmentionable items. Our room was clean, linen was fresh and changed as required. Carpets and all surfaces clean. Hallways clear of rubbish after the maid service had finished for the day. The fold out bed was fine as well. Loved the height of the shower head and the hot water.

Ate the "buffet" breakfast one morning and felt that it was okay value and the coffee was included. Could see that there would be a problem with waffle makers if too many people were at breakfast. Had Happy Hour dinner one evening and the food was great and tasty and very good value.

Would recommend a couple of eateries nearer the park as alternatives - Captain Kidd's Pirate Breakfast great value and right opposite Disney Main Gate. Also the California Pizza Place on the corner of the block down from the Clarion.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family