“The only place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
Book Direct and Save!
Ranked #7 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
Salt Lake City, Utah
“The only place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I reviewed this hotel in 2010, but there have been some changes and it seems like to time to do another review. I always have really mixed emotions when I review the Park Vue because I don't want anyone else to know it exists! In my opinion, this is the only place to stay when visiting Disneyland. Why? Here's my list:
-it is closer to the parks than any Disney resort hotel except the very pricy (but nice) Grand Californian.
-it offers a better breakfast than any other hotel that is as close - and we have stayed at or carefully researched all the close ones. The hotels of the Disney resort don't offer a free breakfast at all.
-The Park Vue keeps its pool and hot tub at the perfect temperatures. The pool is warm enough to plunge right into (and I am one of those "inch into the pool" kind of people) and the hot tub is warm enough to sit and enjoy, but not so hot that you have to get out after 10 minutes.
- each room has a variety of types of pillows, so everyone can probably find one they are happy with. How many hotels do you know that do that?
- Each room has front and back windows. Many hotels just have a window on one side of the room. Yes, the back window is tiny, but it still makes the room seem better ventilated and less claustrophobic.
-the beds seem to be some kind of pillow top - at any rate, they seem quite comfortable.
-in addition to providing a free warm breakfast, every room has a fridge and microwave. This makes it so much easier to save on food costs.
-The heating/air conditioning systems seem new and have a "continuous fan" setting. This means that the noise level is constant so I don't wake up whenever the fan trips on. This is a big plus for me because I tend to be a light sleeper in new places.
-there are new flat screen TVs mounted to the wall. The TV has a USB input in the back, which is nice, but even nicer for me is the fact that having the TV on the wall means that it isn't sitting on the desk/dresser so there is _lots_ more counter space. Enough to spread out a couple large pizzas and a salad and have a fun group dinner.
- Other features I enjoy: coin operated guest laundry, great pizza place a few doors down to the south, car rental place two doors up to the north (inside the Best Western), apples and cookies at the front desk, rooms that have bunk beds or three queens.
-Great view of the Disneyland fireworks from the pool area and rooms on the south side near the pool.

There are a few things that aren't quite perfect:
-occasionally the prices go up - way up. Most of the year we can get a room for between $100 and $130. Once I saw the price go up to $500 a night because of an event going on at Disneyland.
-if you get a lock-off room you can hear noise from the next room pretty easily - but that tends to be par for lock-off rooms in most hotels.
-If you get a room with bunk beds it is pretty crowded - but most people aren't there to sit and spend a lot of time in the room.
-sometimes the fridge in the room has a large build up of ice and is turned up way too cold so I have to defrost and adjust it when I arrive.
-likewise, sometimes the AC in the room is turned way too cold when I arrive.
- it is true that the Park Vue has eliminated some of the amenities they had, and at first I was disappointed, but I think that what they still have is head and shoulders above most of the surrounding hotels. I do miss the evening light dinner, but feel that since there is a fridge and microwave it's not a big deal to bring my own can of soup or salad. I miss the fruit basket but enjoy the great quality apples available at the reception desk. I would just suggest maybe having bananas available too or available at breakfast?

Thanks Park Vue.

Tip for those travelling in from other states: Bringing fruit with you into California is problematic (that's why haveing some provided at the hotel is such a valuable service). I have recently found out that bringing fruits and vegetables into the state isn't a problem as long as they are prepared; i.e. carrots as carrots sticks, lettuce or tomatoes already in a tossed salad, citrus peeled and cut up in a plastic container . . .
If you want your fridge and little freezing compartment at the right temperature in your room at the Park Vue, I suggest setting the fridge to "3" - at least that worked with ours.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We were at the Park Vue Inn from January 27 to February 3, and were very pleased with our stay. Our room was clean, a good size and nicer than I was expecting. We were in a 2 queen room, and found the beds & pillows to be very comfortable, though not luxurious. The water pressure in the room was very good (my husband loved it). The free breakfast was very nice, and a good way to start our day. The selection was not as varied as I'd been lead to believe by other reviews, but it was very nice. Everyday there was a make-your-own waffle station, eggs, bacon or sausge, 3 kinds of cereal, fruit, yogurt, bread & bagles to toast, juice and coffee - it was nothing special, but it was nice to have something "free". The breakfast room was clean with seating inside or outside. We didn't use the pool but it seemed nice. There is a guest laundry room, which was a nice amenity. This hotel is also the closest walk to the park; the entrance is right by the cross-walk. There a few restaurants within close walking distance, so you can easily get some reasonable food outside the park (Denny's, IHOP, Tony Romas, McDonalds). They no longer offer the complimentary dinner, but we were never back from the parks intime to use it, so we didn't really miss it. The only thing that I didn't like were the towels; they were small and very rough, and throughout our stay we would get less & less from housekeeping, so I'd have to call for more. (We started with 2 face cloths, 4 hand towels, 4 bath towels and floor mat, and by our second day they were only leaving 2 hand towels and 4 bath towels).
If you are looking for a budget option close to the parks this is a good one. Also, the Coldstone Creamery outfront was nice - excellent ice cream!

Room Tip: We requested a room on the top floor, and they put us on the top floor at the back; during the week...
Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed here purely for the location, which can't be beat. We stayed in the 2 Queens and bunk bed room, which fit our family perfectly. The room was clean but had a heavily perfumed smell. The bathroom was mostly clean except for some sort of leaching mess coming from the handicapped bar in the shower. Tub seemed clean but we didn't want to bath children in it. Mini fridge seemed to freeze everything no matter the setting. Very little counter space at the vanity. Pillows were all very flat and very used. Avoidance of a comforter by using two top sheets with a blanket in between was novel.

Breakfast seemed less great than past visits, no longer did the hotel manager greet breakfast guests and take our tickets. I only noticed the manager walking around with a scowl on his face all week. Nice to be able to grab apples in the lobby on our way to DL. Celebrated some birthdays this trip, balloons and gifts have now turned into a coldstone mini cake (was part of it before) and a small party bag of mini candy bars.

We had left our first visit feeling like it wasn't the best hotel but it was decent and its location was great. We left this visit feeling like we won't return.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ArgenisPorras, Guest Relations Manager at Park Vue Inn, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Your review is very much appreciated. I am not always aware of my expression. This observation will make me more aware of how others perceive me and for that I thank you. I would like to address your concerns about the property. I can assure you that everything you mentioned regarding your guest room has been corrected. Modifying some of our offerings like the gift baskets made room for better quality amenities and aesthetic improvements to our overall property and services. Many of these improvements are currently in place and the remaining upgrades will be completed this spring. We aim to please and hope you will consider giving us another try on your next visit.

Kind Regards,

Brian DeRose
Director of Operations
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The staff was excellent, they sold us our disney tickets. They had lemonade a and cookies in the lobby and the breakfast was great. Kids enjoyed the pool. The distance to Disney cannot be beat! Would stay there again in a heartbeat. The staff was all very friendly.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

What a difference a year makes!! Last year Awesome basket in room upon arrival with a bottle of wine, water, and fruit. This year NO Basket. Last year huge birthday gift bag for my daughter. This Year NO gift Bag. Last year dinner social. This year NO Dinner. Last year pleasant experience with very friendly Staff. This year staff sucks. This year more money a night to stay?????? Brian quit making excuses. These small things were what made the hotel cool. Other than that tiny rooms with thin walls and trash trucks at 6 AM. No thanks will not return

• Stayed December 2012
I have to say that this is not the type of review I look forward to, but they do help me to better my services. I do regret that you were so disappointed and I can appreciate that your expectations were not met. As you mentioned in your review, you seem to feel I am making excuses. I know that managing any business requires making decisions that are not always easy to make. Yes it’s true we discontinued Social Hour and scaled back on the gift baskets. However in doing so we were able to upgrade other amenities guests overwhelmingly requested such as better Wi-Fi, Flat screen HDTV's with free movies, and high quality amenities, sundries, towels and linens. We strive to provide world class hospitality and service and there are many challenges in that pursuit. I realize I may never have the opportunity to win back your loyalty, and this I will have to accept. However, should you have a change of heart; our door is always open to you and your family.

Brian DeRose
Director of Operations
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We travelled with our 4 year old and chose this place because of the location and various reviews on here so we knew what to expect.

I would recommed for the budget concious and those who want to be within walking distance of the parks.
I would not recommend for people who require a little more luxary and being close to the park is not important.

Would we stay here again - No but that's a personal choice.

Pros
Location
Value for money
Breakfast included
Friendly staff

Cons
Rooms
Pool
Noise

Room Tip: bring ear plugs
British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I was really overwhelmed with trying to find the best place to stay for our 4 day trip at Disneyland. I wanted to be close as possible to the park, and found the maps really confusing while trying to decide which hotel looked best.
Park Vue hands down is the closest!
We had fantastic service. Checked in around 8:00pm. Very friendly staff. Snacks and juice were on the counter for us to help ourselves to. Seeing as we were checking in on a Sunday evening, they informed us the Fireworks at DL would be starting up soon, and gave us directs to the best viewing area on their property. We ended up just watching them from the parking lot, and had a great view even from there!
We had an awesome King Room with Jacuzzi tub. Lots of room. Nice bathroom. Nice little mini kitchen area with fridge, microwave, coffee pot and sink. Our room was really clean, and the bed was incredibly comfortable after our long day of travel, and long days spent in the park. They had a crib already set up in our room for our 19 month old daughter to use. Lots of extra blankets and pillows in the room which was great. Lots of towels, lots of toiletries. It was perfect!
Free breakfast was provided in the upstairs dining area. There was a nice selection of food, but it was so crazy busy in there, I would just run up at get peanut butter and jelly sandwich makings for my daughter, along with some apple juice and fruit to snack on in DL (sorry, Park Vue, I know you say that's a no-no to take food out of the dunning area, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who does it ;) ) and we would go and eat breakfast at the iHop which is right on the same property as the hotel.
The location was superb! You walk out of your hotel, and right there are the lights and cross walk which take you to the park entrance with is directly across from the hotel! Couldn't get any closer!
Also, the hotel has a nice gift shop. Hint, buy your water for the day from there for $1 rather then the $3 water in the park! We learned that quickly after the first day! The gift shop had juice and milk, which was great for our daughter, along with snacks, and nice souvenirs. I bought all the TShirts I brought home as gifts from the gift shop becasue they were about half the price as the TShirts in DL, and they had a great selections! Friendly staff always too. One lady who was working while I was shopping for all the TShirts even played with and entertained my daughter for me so I could take my time and have a nice relaxing shopping experience.
All in all, our stay was awesome! We will for sure be staying here next time we go back.
Thanks for a great stay Park Vue! See you again soon hopefully :)

Room Tip: The King Jacuzzi rooms on the back on the hotel are a ways from the front of the property (aka, entr...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Park Vue Inn? Share your experiences!