“Ideal budget family accomm for Disney parks visit” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
Book Direct and Save!
Ranked #7 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Ideal budget family accomm for Disney parks visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We are a family of 4 with 11 & 14 year old children, and visited the Disney parks in early July 2012. We knew that the days would be long, so wanted somewhere as close as physically possible. I Google streetviewed the Disney plaza entrance, and saw that Park Vue Inn was the closest hotel, directly across the pedestrian crossing from the Disney entrance. Looking on Tripadvisor, the reviews appeared good, so we got a reservation for a two room, 3 bed suite for only $180 per night. It was everything we hoped it would be.
First off, this is not the Disneyland Resort Hotel, or the Hilton, or the Hyatt. It is a motel with limited service, so if you want a 5 star experience, this won't be it. What it does do, it does well however.
We were looking for a motel that was clean, friendly, had a pool, offered free car parking, free breakfast, and free wifi. We also wanted at least 3 beds, and two rooms, preferably with fridge and some sort of kitchen arrangement. Park Vue Inn ticked every box (although the kitchen facilities in the unit really only amounted to only a microwave, refrigerator and kettle.
The motel is low rise (just two stories) in a stripmall format, surrounding its own carpark, with all rooms entered from the carpark or the balcony. Apparently the have plans to extend a number of stories in the near future.
We never had a problem getting parking, and there was always a guard on duty to ensure that only guests parked onsite. The fact that parking was free was a blessing. Most accommodation near Disney charge for parking.
We were lucky to get the two room suite,and it was just what we wanted. 2 Queen beds in the main room, and a smaller seperate bedroom for my wife and I, with another queen bed. The room wasnt modern, but was spotlessly clean, and contrary to other reviews, I found the beds comfortable. (although after exceptionally long days at Disneyland, I would have slept like a rock on anything). Both rooms had flat screen TVs, and a phone. We discovered that we had left some personal belongings in San Diego and I was pleasantly surprised when informed that domestic telephone calls were free of charge - one more thing a 5 star hotel would have charged heavily for!!
The suite had an alcove next to the bathroom, with a bathroom sink bench, closet space, and the kitchen cubby with the fridge, microwave and tea/coffee facilities.
The bathroom was clean, with shampoo/liquid soap dispensers that were refilled each day. I like this sustainable approach that eliminates throwaway bottles.
The wifi password was provided free of charge from reception at checkin, and I didn't have any problems with connection - even considering our room was at the rear of the property.
The guest laundry was directly under our room, but we never heard any noise from it at all. There were plenty of machines, plus dispensers for washing powder etc. Machines worked with quarters which you could get from reception if you needed them.
We never had any problems at all with noise. We saw plenty of signs around the place asking for quiet. Everyone staying was with families and going to Disneyland, so I expected noise, but there wasnt any. No rowdy drunk teenagers or running children- and we were visiting during school holidays. Perhaps during spring break it is different, but certainly we did not experience the problems of some of the other reviewers.
The pool complex is in the middle of the car park - but it is surrounded by a high wall, security fencing and palm trees, so is not completely public. The pool is 10ft deep at one end, and doesn't have an attendant so small children should be watched. There was also a nice small jacuzzi. Plenty of fresh towels were on hand. We regularly ate near the pool area, under the sun umbrellas.
Breakfast was served each morning at a balcony dining area above the reception area. Breakfast was free of charge, and included juices, tea/coffee, cook-your-own waffles, assorted pastries, fruit, cereal, hot sausage, bacon and egg beaters. It was very similar to other complimentary breakfasts I have experienced at Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, etc. Just like them, it also pays to go early, and to expect that it will be shut down promptly at the end of breakfast.
When we booked, Park Vue was advertising a free supper, however I was informed this had recently been discontinued, as the motel is cost cutting to fundraise for its expansion.
I found the check in to be easy and prompt - although we did arrive in the evening, rather than the morning. While we were waiting to be served in the reception area, we were offered complimentary hot cookies, juice, and coffee. There is also a computer and printer in the reception area for guest use.
Twice we needed to call for assistance - once for a light bulb replacement, and the second to have the laundry unlocked after hours so that we could retrieve some clothes. Both times a staff member turned up within minutes of being requested, and assisted us in a very friendly and efficient manner. Perfect.
As well as being directly across the road from the Disney parks plaza, Park Vue Inn is also surrounded by reasonably priced family dining options. Within one block in either direction on S Harbor are Millies Family Restaurant, McDonalds, Captain Kidds Buffet, Pizza Press, Tony Romas, Dennys. IHOP is at the entrance to the Park Vue. There is a 24 hour Target only 3 blocks further down S Harbor, and a Walmart only 5 minutes drive away on I-5N.
The restaurants of Downtown Disney, and Disney Garden Walk are only a 10 minute walk (in different directions).
Food within Disneyland is ridiculously expensive (a hot dog costs $8). It is possible to take food and drink into Disneyland, but we would walk out in the middle of the day, drive a couple of blocks to the Subway and 7-11 at the corner of Katella and S Harbor. At the 7-11 we could get 2 hot dogs, 2 donuts, 2 pieces of pizza, and 2 bottles of Gatorade for less than $10 combined! We would drive back to the Park Vue and eat them by the pool before swimming and then returning to Disneyland refreshed.
If you are looking for budget accommodation that is super close to the Disneyland parks, cheap and cheerful, and isn't out to nickel and dime you, then I recommend the Park Vue wholeheartedly!

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back of the property are possibly quieter
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
nashville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This review will be broken down into the following sections: location/nearby service, room quality,check in experiance, food and customer service/maids.

Location. The park vue inn lives up to its claim to fame. It is right accross the street from the entrance. It is right next door to an I Hop, dennys is 2 hotels down and tony romas is next to that.

Room quality: WARNING to everyone with neck or back problems. Bring your own pillow. The pillows in room 140 caused some rough nights sleep. We fixed it by going to target (about 3 miles down south harbor blvd) and got $3 pillows and fixed the problem. I personally would not recommend a jacquzzi tub room to anyone with a toddler, but that had no impact on the review. Just an fyi. The TV system is about 15 years behind every major hotel chain. room 140 did have a flat screen, though off brand as it was (rioom 143 had the old school tube tv). The room did have a microwave and a fridge.

check in experiance. We checked in at 8pm so we didn't have a line of people to contend with. Having said that, I was suprised at how long it took to check in. The computer systems seem outdated and resulted in the girl who checked me in to do a lot of typing.

Free food?!?: The social dinner that was on the website when we booked the hotel was canceled in early July. We had no plans on attending, so this is an fyi. The free breakfast was free, so no complaints. Here is what it consists of: Toast, boiled eggs, scrambled egg patties, potatos, sausage, juice, coffee, waffle maker, cereal, chocolate milk. YOU CANNOT take it back to your room! And dont bring your own cups, you must use the cups provided.

Customer Service/Maids: Park vue inn was able to let us stay an additional night, though in another room. I lost a set of keys, sam's club card and a dave and busters card. I was back in Minnesota when I realized this and was unable to search room 140 for myself. A supervisor and a house cleaning assistant was unable to locate 2 of 3 items. Any one who stays in room 140 and you find a set of keys near the floor mounted AC next to the dinning room table/night stand let me know. (hint, you may need to move furniture) They did find my sams club card, though my d & b card was in the same stack, so I don't know how 1 was found and not the other.

There were a couple times when I would go to the front desk and nobody would be there. Took about 5 minutes on my check out day to get someone to assist (and to alert them of lost item) If you are in a situation when you need to switch rooms be warned of this, you will need to be out by 11am and you CANT check back in until 3pm. Me and my family had to stay in disney during the hottest part of the day. The staff can't prioritize its cleaning protocal and didn't make an exception. Probably wouldn't be a call out or a big deal if we didn't have a 18 month old in disney during the hottest part of the day.

Group discount info. We booked 5 rooms for stays between 3 and 6 nights. We were told by the reservation team that we would be eligible for a group discount. When we checked in, on the other hand, Hector informed me that we would not be getting a discount because we didn't book at the sametime. Not a deal breaker, but it would be nice for reservations to know this, or the front desk to show a little empathy and make an exception.

Conclusion: Park Vue inn is a good hotel for the value. The missed a couple chances to proved great customer service and make me a promoter of the hotel. DONT LOSE THINGS AT THIS HOTEL. Be advised that this hotel is very policy driven which creates a very matter of fact experiance.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I was first hesitant to stay here because wanted to be on disney property but after all the great reviews and the great price, my fears were soon quenched. Wow, make reservations here. The service and what you get for your money you can't beat it. We had to double queens that connected top floor as close to the dining area as possible. The bunk rooms are closer. They gave out as many water bottles as you wanted along with cookies and coffee. We would load our stroller up and head to Disney which was right across the street. The meals were great and lots of variety. I couldn't believe they offered great kid friendly meals in the evening for free. You really can't beat this place and the pool was so refreshing after a day of disney!

Room Tip: Load up on water bottles prior to going to Disney. First night prior to going to Disney, go find a c...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
ScalzoHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Park Vue Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
We thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. It is always our goal to provide a home away from home. We hope to see you and your family again soon.
brisbane australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My family and I (2A, 2C) stayed here for 4 nights between Christmas and New Years Eve 2011. We arrived late morning, left our luggage with reception and joined the hordes at D'land. On our return mid-afternoon our luggage was already in our room along with a lovely welcome basket. Our room was on the first floor at the far end of the complex, well away from the road. It was extremely clean and very quiet.

We loved the fact that we could easily wander back to our room from Disneyland for a break in the middle of the day - the kids loved the spa - and we didn't have to queue or wait for a shuttle bus. The location is simply fantastic.

The breakfasts are a little crazy - you never really know what you're going to get, it gets very busy just prior to D'land opening and at times the staff struggled to keep up with demand. Having said that, it was great to have something on the belly and we had no complaints about the food itself.

When you're Disneyed out, it's worth taking a short stroll (10 mins) to Anaheim Garden Walk where they have shops, cinemas, restaurants and bars - our dinner at The Cheesecake Factory was awesome.

Overall, we were very happy with our stay at Park Vue. It provided great value for money in an unbeatable location.

Room Tip: You get less foot traffic going past your room if you are at the far end of the complex, furtherest...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
ScalzoHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Park Vue Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your suggestions for our future guests. It is our goal to always provide a Home away from Home. We hope to see you soon.
Brantford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

My family and i just got back from a 4 night stay.This hotel was great for Disneyland.The morning breakfast is good and the hotel is very clean.Like some have wrote before we weren't at the hotel too much because we wanted to go to the parks and this hotel was perfect.There's an IHOP right next door,McDonalds alittle down and the staff was great.We have two young children so at the end of the night is was great to just have them in the strollers and walk to our hotel instead of taking buses like WDW which at times can be hellish when the kids are tired.I would not hesitate to stay here again.Why throw money away to stay over at a Disney resort when this ones cheaper and almost as close .

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ScalzoHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Park Vue Inn, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to know that your stay was great. We will continue to work hard to provide a great place to stay. We hope to see you soon.
Amana, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This is a great location. It is literally right across the street. I asked them if I had to go left or right and they said to just cross the street. I saw the good and bad comments. It is a family run business. I heard someone tell a customer when I was waiting for my family in the lobby. All of the staff we came into contact with was very courteous. I dealt with both a young girl and young man. Also the maids were pleasant when you met them outside.

We left the parks at 11:30 each night and it was so nice to be able to take a short walk to the hotel. We also took a short break during the afternoon heat. We have been to WDW and waiting, waiting for those shuttles in long lines, is a bummer. This is what we wanted to avoid.

It is clean. It was not as worn as some of the comments suggested. Get the 2 bed queen rooms, they are a little bigger than the rooms with bunk beds. We stayed in room 225 and it was in a good location

Good supply of towels. They are a little worn, but ok. Sheets are a little worn, but ok. Beds are comfortable, but pillows are a little hard. But if you worry about those things, you are spending too much time in the hotel and not enough time at Disney.

We seriously did not spend more than 5 hours at the hotel, other than sleeping hours, on the 2 days we were are at the park. Spending $800 in tickets for two days, we wanted to spend as much time at the parks as we could.

Breakfast was good, pretty much the same as all of them. I liked the patio. It is nice to be outside on a nice morning, but there is room to sit inside if you want to. I agree, they need to take some of the signs down about eating food. They are annoying.

I recommend staying at this hotel. We loved the short walk and the low cost for being right across the street.

Room Tip: Room 225 is at a good location. Close to the stairs. Very little noise the days we were there.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We are currently replacing all our linens and towels. We hope that by your next visit we will have finished this upgrade. Thank you for your kind words, see you soon.
Visalia, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We took our granddaughter and her friend to Disneyland and stayed at the Park Vue Inn. It was our third visit to the Inn and, as before, we had a great stay! The staff is very friendly, the accommodations are very clean and the price was very competitive. The Inn is located directly across the street from the park so it is an easy walk.

Room Tip: Try to get an upstairs room facing north. You can watch the Disney fireworks at 9:30 pm from the bal...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hello we are happy that you and your granddaughter had a great experience with us. Thank you for choosing Park Vue Inn. We hope to be of service to you soon.

Been to Park Vue Inn? Share your experiences!