“Know what you are getting into” 3 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1380 South Harbor Boulevard, Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 115 Hotels in Anaheim
San Jose
“Know what you are getting into”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

First thing to note, EVERY king room is facing the freeway. Pay the extra $5 and get a two queen room. The noise from the freeway in the king room is ridiculous.

If you can get away from the freeway, the noise isn't too bad. The place really is a 5 minute walk from the entrance (about 3 city blocks). You can see the matterhorn right across the street, to give you an idea where the location is. The beds weren't too bad, but don't expect luxury sheets. The bathroom was fine for us.

Good place to stay for a night or two if you want to be super close to Disneyland without paying out the nose. Free parking also.

• Liked — Proximity to Disneyland
  • Disliked — Freeway noise
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
  • Czech first
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

We stayed at the Howard Johnson for 6 nights and had an enjoyable stay. We were in Building 6 and had no freeway noise. In fact we really had no noise. The room was larger than normal with a sink in the bathroom and one outside of the bathroom. The room was an average hotel room, but it was clean and had plenty of storage space. My only complaint is that the beds were hard and the pillows were too soft-the feather kind. Both my husband and I had a hard time getting comfortable on some nights. My 2 year old son LOVED the toddler/kids pool and splash area. The walk to Disneyland took us about 10 minutes. The hotel is not located right across the street from Disneyland, but the walk isn't bad. Overall our stay was good and would consider staying at this Howard Johnson again if the price was right.

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — The beds and pillows.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
AussieinUSA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2007

The raving reviews of this hotel must be posted by the hotel itself and travellers with extremely low standards. A noise so loud from the freeway one could not hear onself think let alone sleep, paper thin towels, scratchy sheets, and a mouldy shower and basin.
Are these people reviewing the same place I stayed in?
Look elsewhere there are many hotels close to Disney.

• Disliked — Noisy, dirty!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santa Barbara, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2007

We originally booked the room online through the website using the AP rate for Mar 2-4th. We decided we also wanted to stay the 1st. I called central reservations to add it only to be told that there were no room available EVEN THOUGH I was looking at the hotel website that said there were. When I pointed this out to them, they directed me to call the hotel directly. I did and Eddie was very helpful with fulfilling my wish.

Check in was a breeze with SEVERAL smiling employees, I work customer service so I know how important that is especially if you are tired.

We got to the room to find we were 2 doors away from the elevator and right on top of the freeway. There was a balcony in the room that had two doors that you had to go through to get out there. The sound of the freeway was EXTREMELY loud and the two doors had a loud "whoosing" noise due to the air coming in through the cracks. Upon arrival, my husband and I agree that it was too extreme. We've stayed next to the freeway SEVERAL times in other cities and hotels and it's NEVER been this loud. So we went back to the front desk and asked to change rooms. Unfortunately, there was a cheerleading competition in town so the hotel was completely booked except rooms facing the freeway. The front desk was extremely nice about it and offered to move us for the first night but explained that we would only be moved back. They also explained to us that when you book through central reservations, they say you have a mountain view and tend to fail to tell customers that the freeway is BEFORE the mountain view. Helpful to know when booking there in future. In the end, we just turned the fan on high and it blocked out most of the freeway noise.

The beds are hard in my opinion and they give you feather pillows. Not a good combination if you ask me but I'm EXTREMELY picky about pillows and beds. Ask my husband, I complain about our own bed and practically buy a new pillow every month. So I guess I'm over critical in that area.

The room was extremely clean and had no problems with housekeeping.

The only big issue I had was the bath tub draining. It didn't drain on it's own. I would have to put a wet face towel on it for weight but it would need to be slanted too far down so the towel would slide off. We would have to sit there and hold it after every bath/shower. That got really old. I didn't complain about it because I knew the hotel was booked and I doubted that much could be done. So whatever, I'm over it.

The distance to Disneyland was okay. I was under the impression that it was closer and there are other ones that are closer but the walk never bothered us. Plus, it gave us a chance to walk past all the food places to decide what we wanted to eat.

Mimi's (dinner) is okay in my opinion, nothing special if you ask me, but nothing bad. Millie's (breakfast) was gross to my husband and son, and made my stomach hurt. IHOP was okay also. When in this area, we always make sure to jump into the car and drive to Buena Park. There is this FABULOUS restaurant right down the street from Knott's Berry Farm and across the street from Medieval Times, called Po'Folks. THE BEST SOUTHERN FOOD EVER! Biggest helpings and so worth the 5 min drive. They have table games and a train that goes all around the restaurant so my 2 yr old can easily sit there without getting restless (LOVE THAT).

Back to the hotel, HOJO is a good hotel and the pool was nice. The toddler/kid's pool was WARM but the water shooting up by the turtle was COLD. The regular pool only goes to about 5 feet and isn't cold but isn't as warm as the kid's pool. Fun though on a hot day like it was on the day we went.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — The freeway
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2007

Booked using the entertainment card rate...50% off rack rate. It was an outstanding deal.

The rooms were large for a standard room. It was very well maintained and very clean.

We had a view of the Matterhorn. It was amazing to wake up every morning to a view of Disneyland.

The walk to the park was very easy and somewhat refreshing after a long day at the parks dealing with a lot of people. We at dinner after we left the parks and were able to stop at one of the many restaurants on the way back to the hotel. Mimi's was especially good.

I would definitely recommend to anyone visiting Disneyland.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — There wasn't anything I didn't like.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2007

When I was making the reservation for the room via telephone, I had a bad experience (and lack of confirmation) and e-mailed the sales director, Willie Simpson with my concerns. He promptly and kindly e-mailed me back stating that for the inconvenience our standard room would be upgraded to a premium one.

The Disneyland Resort area is beautiful and the Howard Johnson is directly off the freeway exit. The lobby is nicely decorated, check-in was easy, and our room was located in the same building as the convenience store.

Our room was nicely furnished (including a microwave/fridge, which made it easy to store and reheat leftovers from next-door Mimis) and we had a view of the Matterhorn from the balcony. Bathrooms - a big deal for me - were very clean. Wireless and high speed internet worked fine... everything was plugged into surge protectors so you could plug in multiple devices if you wanted. We had a voicemail from the front desk on the in-room phone welcoming us, that was a nice touch. Beds were comfortable - we were able to sleep all the way through the night with no problem.

As for dining, I already mentioned Mimi's prior - but most of the time we ate at McDonald's. Disneyland food is way too expensive.. my recommendation is to get a park hopper pass and eat off-site. I really wish the hotel had room service, that would have made the stay perfect - but, it is not listed in the features and we were well aware of it beforehand.

Distance to Disneyland: A short (less than 10 minute) walk definitely made things convenient. After checking out on the last day we still planned to stay in the park, and asked the front desk staff if we could keep our car parked on the premisis - they said it was no problem.

We used the mousesavers.com 10% discount coupon so that definitely helped out when paying for the rooms :)

Overall a good experience - great impression of Howard Johnson hotel chain.

Stayed February 2007
Great Falls, MT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2007

The reviews of this place are right on. Rooms are older but remodeled. We had a room with two doubles in building "6". A good spot to be. Our room had a conx door and we booked with another party. Each room has a roll away included. We used it for our kids. Did not get charged. I can see that you would want to be away from I-5, lots of traffic noise. Staff was very helpful and gave us good insight in all things aound the hotel. It is correct that it is a 7min walk to the front gate. No big deal. You walk past McDonalds so makes for a nice quick meal/snack to or from the park. (be advised crowds hit after the fireworks or park closes) You also have a few other choices Mini's IHOP, Denny's etc. as you walk to the park. All are close enough to walk out eat lunch or dinner and walk back to the park. The hotel does have a good selection of delivery services for Pizza / chinese / etc. Out of the three we used all did not bring forks, plates, napkins, etc. You can get them from the hotel gift shop. In talking with the staff they state that this is normal. You as the guest need to ask for them when you order. Not nice when you plan on eating when it comes to the door. We had a big problem with one of these. Pizza Plus.... Do not call them. We ordered two extra items over a pkg meal. Well in looking over all the stuff afterward we did not get the two items. After 4 cell calls and one in the hotel lobby so the shift manager could hear how these guys were treating us, We got our two items 3 1/2 hours after we got our first stuff. Do not call or use Pizza Plus. The rest of the stay was great. Check in / out was quick. The grounds are nice and the pool was a hit with the kids and us. Foot jets make for a nice way to unwind after walking all day.

Stayed February 2007