“Fantastic Hotel, Brilliant Location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save at least 15% Now!
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
A TripAdvisor Member
“Fantastic Hotel, Brilliant Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2005

My family and I stayed at the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel in August this year. We had a fantastic time. We had a room with a Disney view, which was very spacious, clean and tidy. My children loved the pool area and games room. In fact if we hadn't been visiting Disneyland and Universal I think they would have spent all day there. The fireworks were spectacular from the balcony, but I would recommend watching them once in the park. Be sure to see Fantasmic as well, it really is worthwhile. Howard Johnson is in a very good location for all amenities and also a good base for Los Angeles and surrounding area.
The staff at the hotel were extremely helpful and very friendly. When we return to Anaheim we will definitely be staying at Howard Johnson.

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Czech first
Rocklin, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2005

This was a great place to stay. We had a view of Disneyland and could see the Matterhorn and fireworks outside of our room. It was nice to have the balcony too. The staff was very committed to customer service. There is a nice little market in the hotel with gift items as well as snacks, drinks, ice cream, etc. and it's handy to have right there. There is an arcade room that has 15-20 games including air hockey, and current high tech driving games and motorcyles to ride, which the kids loved. The pool was great as it was 80 degrees and the hot tub about 104. The kids wading pool was great too. It was nice that the pool is open until midnight every night because a lot of other hotels close at 8PM. We got a $67 rate through the Entertainment book for a premium room which was unbelievable. They do have suites available at a higher price too.

It is next door to Mimi's which is great. McDonalds is very close, as is several other restaurants. It's truly only 7 minutes walk to Disney. Plus, it's right off I-5. The hotel backs to I-5 and if you have the I-5 view it might be loud? If you have the Disney view you are facing away from the freeway.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2005

My hubby and I have just returned from our 2nd anniversary celebration. We stayed at the Hojos from 28th Oct - 10 Nov, and loved every minute of it! The staff couldn't have been more helpful or friendly, every need and request was met immediately. We had a room on the 7th floor, with a view of the Matterhorn and monorail, and on our 2nd Friday night sat in our room having dinner watching the Disney fireworks. Each day our room was cleaned immaculately, and we would often speak to the cleaning staff in the hallways, they were so polite and friendly! The gift shop had everything you could possibly need or want, and the gift shop ladies were lovely. Disneyland Resort extremely close, the walk was a nice wind up in the morning, and chill out at night. Mimis, Millies and McDonalds very close for eating, as well as a Dennys, IHOP & Tony Romas. We were very very sad to leave on Thursday, and hope to return in the future. This hotel is extremely well managed and run, and our stay was faultless - thank you!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2005

We stayed at the HoJo Anaheim in early November this year - after reading the reviews on both TripAdvisor and Mousesavers.com, got 3 nights at HoJo and 3-day Disney passes for $739 for self, husband and our 9 year old.

Upon check-in, the staff was friendly and greeted us with a smile..hard to find these days. Our Disneyland.com travel package documents were waiting for us, and we had a 4th floor room in Bldg 2. We didn't see or hear any other guest on our floor until the last day, so nice and quiet. A slow time at the MouseHouse, so likely the spread the guests around the hotel buildings. On-site arcade is a good diversion for the kids, and the store was well-stocked and reasonably priced. Pluses: In-room refrigerator (great for easy/cheap breakfasts), good selection of TV channels, clean rooms and QUIET! My only gripe was the pillows...too soft! However, I will say that when we called housekeeping for extras (only 2 were on each bed), we were transfered to the front desk. I gave them my request...and literally our pillows were delivered in under 5 minutes!

We didn't use the pool areas, however they appeared well-maintained with lots of available towels for guests. All in all, a very good value. I'd highly recommend.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2005

My family of 5 stayed for 4 nights at the Howard Johnson in September 2005 and it was fantastic. Check-in staff excellent and very friendly and helpful. The location is great for the time you have at Disneyland, only a short 5 - 7 minute walk. We would go to Disneyland after having breakfast at Minnie's which is across the road from HoJo and then head to Disneyland for the morning. Return to Minnie for lunch and rest then head back for afternoon at Disneyland. We would then return to Minnie's at about 8.30 - 9 o'clock for Dinner. Staff were great and food fantastic. Beware of a place called Millies it is the worst we have ever experienced not only for the food but the service.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2005

Overall the hotel was okay. Close to Both Disney parks. Rooms were very small for the five of us. They didn't give us what we booked. Hotel staff at front desk didn't have their stuff together when it came to questions for doing things in the city. Cleaning of rooms wasn't to great. Our daughter got scabbies from the hotel. We had to ask all the time for our sheets to be changed (our baby spit up on them). If we never asked for it to be done it never would. The toilet flusher was very loud and would never flush on the first try. With 5 people in a room and at night was not good. We spent an extra $500 to stay at this hotel as we heard alot of good about it but we were not happy. The best thing about it was the pools, when you are going with kids. Our next trips to Disneyland we will not stay at this hotel again. A tip you don't need to ask for a balcony room for fireworks you can see them from the pools.

• Stayed October 2005
, General Manager at Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground, responded to this review, November 14, 2005
Dear TripAdvisor Member, Powell River, BC, Canada

You can imagine my shock at reading this review; none of the problems noted on this review were ever reported to my staff or me. We immediately inspected the room, which these guests occupied, immediately after reading this review and found the room to be clean and free of pests.

My hotel is not perfect and we certainly make mistakes; and I know that vacations are terribly important so I encourage all TripAdvisor readers to contact hotel management during their stay if they are unhappy with any aspect of their experience. If something isn’t right my staff and I will do what it takes to make it right.

I hate to dismiss any review as malicious fiction so I encourage this TripAdvisor reader to contact me if they have any authentic concerns with my hotel. Best regards,

Bill Cleaver

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2005

I love to plan our Disney trips and this was our first trip to California and Disneyland for it's 50th anniversary celebration. I am a planner...I plan, and plan, and plan!! I read reviews on everything before making reservations and try to talk to people about the best places to stay, etc. I finally decided on HOJO Anaheim because it is one of two "preferred" off-site hotels on The Mouse for Less website (and these people know everything DISNEY!). Their other choice was the Anaheim Hilton. HOJO had the best rates and looked great from all I researched online. When we arrived, it was perfect! Nice quaint hotel and very close to the park! We would walk out to the parking lot and there was the Matterhorn right there!! Just a short view down the road was The Tower of Terror! The novelty never wore off - even for me, a mom - every day we were amazed that Disneyland was RIGHT THERE!! The rooms were nice and great for our family of four. Fridge and microwave included so we ate breakfast in the room and saved more money that way. Pool was great, staff was helpful when needing info on tours, tickets, bus system, etc. If I had to complain about one thing it would be the fireworks. Since we are so close to the park, we heard them the first night we were there (being from Kentucky we were four hours ahead California time). They sounded like cannons going off. Though it woke me up, the rest of the family slept through it, LOL! Once we got adjusted to the time though we were never in bed when the fireworks went off. You really can't go wrong with HOJO Anaheim.

• Stayed June 2005