“Not bad at all!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 114 Hotels in Anaheim
Brisbane, Australia
“Not bad at all!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

This hotel is a less than 10 minute walk to Disneyland. It's a wonderful place to stay. The staff are friendly, there's two Mac computers with free internet in the lobby, the room is well equipped with a fridge, the store downstairs is very well stocked and there's a laundry room where you can do your own washing. For 5 quarters you can wash and dry. If you stay here ask for a room in building one that faces the pool. From our balcony we had an AMAZING view of the 9pm fireworks. Another tip is to have breakfast at Mimi's across the road. This was by far our favourite restaurant when visiting the US. It's cheap and good.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Czech first
Reseda, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

Our stay was a one-night stop for a place to put our heads down after dinner at Disneyland and before we headed out the next morning for a drive down to Mexico. I had booked a decent rate but had no idea it was going to be a premium view room on the 7th floor of Building One.

I was a bit apprehensive at first as I really hadn't expected to have to wait until 4:00 p.m. (we arrived at 2:00 p.m.) for check in, but that was minor. We headed over to the D'land and just wandered around for a bit taking in the sights for a couple of hours, headed back to the hotel and we were all set for check in.

The view from the seventh floor out the balcony window was wonderful. The Matterhorn and Big Thunder Mountain loomed in the distance!! The room had 2 queen beds (I guess the king-size beds are in the rooms facing the freeway), a great TV with great reception, ample storage space for us, plentiful hangers in the closet, and a single-serving Keurig coffeemaker! The refrigerator is a small, dorm room sized unit but we didn't need it so that was of no consequence to us.

We walked back to D'land for our dinner reservation and, yes, it only took about 8 minutes of walking! There was a short wait for the light as we walked on the opposite side of the street from all the hotels and restaurants, but the timing given by the hotel is spot on. After dinner (11:00 pm) we trundled back the same way we came and headed up to our room for sleep. The air conditioning unit put out a bit more noise than I expected BUT that really didn't affect the night's sleep at all. The beds were comfy, and we drifted off fairly quickly.

The vaulted ceilings on the seventh floor did nothing to deter a good night's sleep either! In the morning we both used the Keurig for a morning wake up and by 8:00 we were on our way.

We will definitely make this a hotel we come back to. In fact, I just made another reservation with them using the Entertainment Card rate. $59/night for a King room works for me!

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

My family goes to Disneyland every year, however, 2008 was the first year we have ever stayed at this hotel. We are definitely going back to this great hotel this year again!!! The staff is extremely friendly and the lobby is nice. I don't know why there are reviews saying that this hotel is noisy because we stayed in building number 2 (1 and 2 are the closest to the highway) and none of us could hear any cars at all!! The new pirates cove is AMAZING and the kids played there at least an hour and a half all 5 days we stayed there! The beds are very comfy, warm, and soft; the perfect thing to lay down on at the end of a long and tiring day. Again, there was not a single sign of a highway night or day. WE ALL RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANY PARENTS WITH KIDS.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

My husband and I stayed at HOJO 6 nights in mid-June. Awesome experience and will definitely use them again the next time we travel from Texas to California. After reading reviews of the facility, I knew to request a room in Building 1. We were on the 3rd floor with a Disney view. 2 queen beds, balcony, refrigerator, microwave, nice spacious room for mom, dad, and 2 pre-teens. Used the Entertainment rate, and this was a bargain for that area. The food at Mimi's restaurant is very excellent and very reasonably priced for that area; servings are generous, and their muffins are just extremely delicious. If eating there, ask for Dawn to be your waitress; she's extremely helpful and very polite. Front desk staff was very helpful. If traveling via plane, ask them to call the town car service for your return trip to the airport....cheaper than taxi and much cleaner. We are normally Marriott loyal customers, but I was very pleased with the value and comfort of this room, especially considering how very close they are to Disney (5 minute walk to front gate). Will be happy to answer any questions you might have if you are debating whether to use this facility or not.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

We stayed at the hojo for 5 nights while visiting Disneyland. Our king room was OK. It was on the 3rd floor of building two in the corner and was very dark and fairly dated. No balcony, but a very large room. Nice to have 2 sinks in the bathroom, but the maids were only mediocre at keeping it clean. The bed was comfy and clean. The TV didn't have very many channels if that's important. The garden pool was nice, we spent most afternoons there relaxing in the sun. I think the location was great, and you couldn't hear any traffic noise at all. For the price it was good, but I think if I'm there again I'd choose a slightly newer hotel and pay a bit more.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

We had the Queen suite plus a standard King room. While it wasn't the fanciest place we've ever been to. For the purpose of having an affordable, clean and comfortable place to stay close to Disneyland, we made the right choice.

My kids loved the "Castaway Cove" and "Garden Pool". While the pool could have been a bit warmer for my taste, the kids were in heaven and enjoyed every plunging and splashing moment they experienced.

The walk to Disneyland was an easy one...especially the first trip we made. Of course after two days of amusement park walking, the last leg we took back to the hotel seemed rather long. But we made it.

The beds were very comfortable which is extremely important to me and the linens were quite nice. The bathrooms were fine, as we were mostly concern with functionality--no fancy tubs or oversized fluffy bath towels, but what we had to use was sufficient and got the job done.

We'll be back as I've decided anytime we want to make it an event of going to go Disneyland, we'll stay here. I definately recommend this as a place to stay for folks with young and preteen children. I don't think anyplace really makes teenagers happy!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Chandler, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

We booked a premium Disney view room with two queen beds. Most of those come with two sinks; ours just had one in the bathroom but it wasn't a big deal. The room itself was fairly spacious--clean and a bit dated, though I don't care much about that. There was a small balcony from which you could look out at Disneyland. The view was nice, and my mom saw fireworks from there. The refrigerator worked fine--though if I hadn't read about the place online I wouldn't have understood why it was warm when we got in. There was a microwave and a coffeemaker but we were too busy to use either. The gift shop was well-stocked, and I think a bit pricier than a 7-11 (the milk I bought was as pricey as Disneyland). It'll do in a pinch, though. I liked the orange-themed toiletries, as it's fun to smell like a Creamsicle. :)

The walk is fine for most people, though it was too much for my mom, who's pretty good at walking, but the humidity seemed to do a number on her. I didn't mind it at all until my very last trip back to the room, which came after 4 days and 4 nights of going through Disneyland and 8 round trips to and from HoJo.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of problems with the room. Right when we got in, the safe didn't work. We told the front desk that evening as we left to go to the park, and they fixed it while we were gone (though that does kind of defeat the purpose of having a safe).

Every outlet except one in the bathroom and maybe one at my mom's bed was loose, meaning that we had to charge pretty much everything in the one bathroom outlet that held a plug. My mom did bring an extension cord, but a power strip might have been better.

The Internet (wired) did not work initially, either. I tried calling the number provided by the hotel for technical support and it would not go through, so I called the front desk, who patched me through to Internet support. After a few minutes on hold I got someone who tried but could not help. He said he'd escalate to his supervisor and call back. Some time later the supervisor called and after a few questions he said he'd ask an engineer to come to the room to change out the box in about 15 minutes. I took my afternoon nap and was headed back to the park maybe 2.5 or 3 hours later before the engineer finally came by. To his credit, he did insist on fixing the Internet correctly, even wanting to log in on my computer. (Since the power outlets didn't work properly, I had shut down to conserve energy. My mom had to phone me, so I had to shout my password over the noise of traffic so she could log in for me.) Once the Internet was working, it was slow, but I expected that. Somehow the Internet functioning also cut off the phone--it seemed we could have one but not the other.

The freeway noise was not noticeable as long as the balcony door was shut. The air conditioning seemed to be older--it was running almost constantly to keep our room cool in mild June weather. It was fairly loud, so loud that I didn't hear any noise in the hallways outside our door with it on, but did hear children the one morning it was off when I woke up. The air conditioning noise is probably fine if you come from an urban area or like white noise. I didn't have trouble sleeping but after a day in the parks I would have liked to come back to some quiet, not the rumbling of an air conditioner.

We did have a good time on the trip. If you're going at the deepest discount Entertainment rate ($59 before taxes/night for a standard room) it's probably a good value. But I wouldn't recommend a Premium room for even the $79 before taxes Entertainment rate. Or at least not room 1615.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends