“This is where we'll stay at Disneyland from now on.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save at least 15% Now!
Ranked #5 of 111 hotels in Anaheim
Tacoma, Washington
“This is where we'll stay at Disneyland from now on.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

We spent four nights at the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel in Anaheim, and it was the nicest of six different hotels we have sampled in the area over the last 20 years. We had two large adjoining rooms in Building 2, overlooking the Garden Pool. Everything about this hotel--staff, grounds, pool, sprayground, cleanliness, service, price--was perfect for us.
We made our reservations six months in advance, using our Entertainment card, and got an unblievably low rate. On top of that, parking was free (unusual for Anaheim) and abundant, which made a big difference for us because within our group of six people, we had three cars to park.
We had read here and on other sites of freeway noise being a problem here. It is true that, from outside the building you can always hear the freeway. But you can also hear the Monorail and the Mark Twain whistles! Inside our rooms, we heard no extraneous noise, except an occasional excited young family walking down the hall.
You do need to be forewarned: the walk to the entrance gates of Disneyland is truly closer to 15 minutes than the 8 minutes the hotel advertises. This was not an issue for us, but might be to other families.
The hotel doesn't provide a continental breakfast, and there is no restaurant on the premises. But the gift shop is very well stocked with juices and breakfast rolls, and there are microwaves and refrigerators in the rooms. We sampled the two adjacent restaurants (confusingly, "Mimi's" and "Millie's") and found them to be convenient and reasonably priced. And Mimi's has an extensive, interesting menu and full bar.
It was unanimous among the three generations of our family that this is now "our" Disneyland hotel. We look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

4,122 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Turkish first
Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

Myself, my husband & 2 boys aged 5 & 7stayed here for 6 nights in May 2009 and we all loved it. The location was great, only took us about 8 minutes to walk to Disneyland and there were plently of options for cafes and eateries. Mimi's Cafe across the road was a lovely place for brekky. The hotel store had everything we needed, even providing plastic spoons to eat our cereal with. The staff were polite and extremely helpful when we needed it. We enjoyed the free internet to catch up with news back home in Australia. The pool area was awesome, we actually never made it to the big pool as the kids had a ball in the pirate area and we were content to lounge in the chairs and have an alcholic beverage after a day of Disneyland. As it was so close we even went back to Disney in the evenings. We upgraded to a Disney facing room on the 7th floor which we recommend, great view of the fireworks. Only thing was it could get very light in the room early due to the big skylights - but we were warned about this by the staff prior to upgrading. Any emails were answered efficiently by them prior to us checking in. Would definately stay there again. Keep up the good work.

Wyomissing, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel because of its proximity to Disneyland, and the hotel facility - Castaway Cove Water Park. Our room was on the ground floor in Building 2, facing a pool. Location was quiet most of the time. The room is dated, but it is spacious, clean and comfortable. It has a small microwave, a coffee maker and a small refrigerator, which was useful for my 2 young boys. Toilet is small, but has 2 sinks. It is old, but clean and workable.
Our check-in was swift. The front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful. There are 2 internet kiosks at the small lobby should you need internet access or print something. Otherwise, room has wired internet access...and they are all FREE! There is also a small sundry shop in building 1 that sells milk, butter, wine, chips to sunscreen and PJs. I paid about $7 for 2 Ben&Jerrys ice-creams and a baby bottle of wine. Thought the price is reasonable considering the convenience.
The kids' water park at the hotel is small but fun. My boys got to enjoy the place before we check-out. They absolutely loved it!
It is an easy walk to Disneyland from the hotel. However, at the end of the day, if you have to carry a sleepy 6-year-old (we did that!), the distance from Disneyland to the hotel room will seem further.
Anaheim is old, and MOST hotels near Disneyland are dated and worn out due to many visitors. I admit I did not have high expectation when I booked this place. But my stay there was pleasant, and I deem the value reasonable (Paid $134++ for 2 queen beds room, and free parking at the hotel). I would definitely consider this hotel when we visit Disneyland with kids again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

I spent two nights in this hotel. It wasn’t cheap considering I was by myself. I was given a very small slightly ‘tired’ room on the far side of Building 1. I should have asked to be moved! The room was spitting distance from a 12-lane freeway. There was no attempt for any sort of sound deadening curtains or double glazing in the room. The noise of traffic all night long was HORRENDOUS! I had very little sleep for two nights. The staff were efficient but not at all friendly. Friends I was with were in one of the other buildings and had a much better deal. It’s a real pain not having room service when you have flown in very late and are hungry. The grounds were lovely and great for kids, especially the pool and water park. The reception area was quite strange and nowhere to wait for a shuttle late at night when it was cold. If you want to spend all day at Disneyland and don’t mind little sleep this would be an okay place to stay but there are other hotels/motels closer.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

Our stay started out just fine with a friendly and fast check-in. The room itself was adequate. Positives were comfortable bed and pillows, strong shower and curved shower curtain. Negatives on the room were weak AC...just wouldn't get cold; icky carpet and I felt like I was walking in a swamp when I stepped on the gross carpeting. Fridge was turned off when we arrived and I had milk I needed to put in, it took awhile for it to get cold. If you like a dark room you won't get it here. The curtains stick out along the windows edges so a lot of light comes in, we were on the first floor and I understand that rooms above that have sunburst windows with no shading at all. We did have an incident with housekeeping. On the last day, I had left two bags in the room on top of the dresser. Check out time is noon and we returned to the room at 11am and the door was open, the room had been made up and our bags were gone. Finding the housekeeper, I asked her for my bags and after several minutes of insisting that I did have bags in the room, she handed over only one bag. I had to go to the front desk and speak to a front desk manager and after about 30 min she returned with my other bag and said that the housekeeper had thought it was trash and it was by the dumpster. Bull. Bull and Bull. Who would think that a travel bag which by the way had some brand new merchandise purchased at Disneyland was trash, and I dont' believe for a minute that the bag wasn't inspected. And why on earth are they taking things out of the room before check out time? The answer I was given was that it was a common practice because some guests don't check out. That's fine AFTER check out time but until noon that room is mine. I paid for it. The thing is, the front desk manager didn't really care at all. She gave a lukewarm apology but the attitude was that this was common and I was annoying her. Even though I got all my things back and nothing was missing, it really put a damper on the stay and the poor attitude of the staff was the clincher. I also wrote the corporate offices when I returned home and have received no response. This is a very bad business practice. The discounts here aren't worth it and remember you get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Hojoanaheim, General Manager at Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground, responded to this review, June 22, 2009
Dear Dizneedoll:

I am very sorry for the worry and inconvenience that your missing items caused. I can definitely understand how frustrating this would be, especially when your bags contained souvenirs of your vacation.

We have reviewed this incident with our Housekeeping staff and explained the proper procedure of getting these types of items to our lost-and-found right away to ensure that this kind of thing doesn’t happen again. Our housekeeper certainly should have checked the contents of the bags and sent them right away to lost-and-found, and I apologize that this didn’t happen. The first bag was easily identified and returned to you, but unfortunately, our Housekeeping Supervisor did not understand the description of the second bag. Happily, our Front Office Manager did and was able to work with housekeeping to retrieve your second bag from a large trashbag in your building

I also wanted to thank you for letting us know about the maintenance issues with our air conditioning and carpet; I have initiated work orders so that these can be amended right away. In an effort to reduce energy usage, we do keep the room refrigerators turned off until started up by our guests, and we will be adding notification easels inside the fridges explaining this conservation policy.

It is our mission to provide a clean, delightful, worry-free experience for every guest. Sometimes we make mistakes or things go wrong, but we are dedicated to doing all that we can to make sure that when you leave us, you are happy and looking forward to coming back again. When something is not right, please inform our Manager on Duty right away so that we can resolve any issue to your satisfaction and rescue your vacation prior to your departure.

Regards,

Jonathan Whitehead
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

This was not the best place to stay... dirty, small, outdated, noisy traffic from the highway, not that close to the theme parks (8 min walk opposed to 2 min walk)
Friendly staff, helpful.
Good place to stay if your just sleeping there (apart from traffic noise)

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

We stayed at this Howard Johnson for five nights in May. I was very surprised by the quality of customer service I received even before arriving. I spoke to internal reservations on more than one occation. They were very helpful in helping me find the perfect rooms and location. We requested one room to be top floor Disney View and it did not disappoint. We really enjoy watching the fireworks from the balcony. After returning home I discovered my Father in Law had been mischarged for his room. I sent an email with a copy of the original reservation and he was promptly returned the difference. Staff called both he and I to guarantee everything had been corrected.

My kids loved the splash park. The pool was a little cool for me but didn't seem to bother them. Our second room ended up being directly over the entrance of buiding 1, 2nd floor. While I may return to HoJo, I will never stay second floor facing Disney building 1 again. Right outside crowds would congregate and make a lot of noice, sometimes even in the middle of the night. The hotel was priced correctly for the location and service. We found the bathrooms especially to be pretty run down with cracks and missing floor pieces.

It is by no means a "Disney hotel". We lacked some of the "Disney Feeling" by staying off site but you can't beat the 8 minute walk to the gate! I would recommend this hotel to someone looking to stay offsite and someone who is okay without the over the top luxury.