“Outdated, Staff unhelpful and uncaring.” 2 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1380 South Harbor Boulevard, Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 115 Hotels in Anaheim
San Diego
“Outdated, Staff unhelpful and uncaring.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

Our stay started out just fine with a friendly and fast check-in. The room itself was adequate. Positives were comfortable bed and pillows, strong shower and curved shower curtain. Negatives on the room were weak AC...just wouldn't get cold; icky carpet and I felt like I was walking in a swamp when I stepped on the gross carpeting. Fridge was turned off when we arrived and I had milk I needed to put in, it took awhile for it to get cold. If you like a dark room you won't get it here. The curtains stick out along the windows edges so a lot of light comes in, we were on the first floor and I understand that rooms above that have sunburst windows with no shading at all. We did have an incident with housekeeping. On the last day, I had left two bags in the room on top of the dresser. Check out time is noon and we returned to the room at 11am and the door was open, the room had been made up and our bags were gone. Finding the housekeeper, I asked her for my bags and after several minutes of insisting that I did have bags in the room, she handed over only one bag. I had to go to the front desk and speak to a front desk manager and after about 30 min she returned with my other bag and said that the housekeeper had thought it was trash and it was by the dumpster. Bull. Bull and Bull. Who would think that a travel bag which by the way had some brand new merchandise purchased at Disneyland was trash, and I dont' believe for a minute that the bag wasn't inspected. And why on earth are they taking things out of the room before check out time? The answer I was given was that it was a common practice because some guests don't check out. That's fine AFTER check out time but until noon that room is mine. I paid for it. The thing is, the front desk manager didn't really care at all. She gave a lukewarm apology but the attitude was that this was common and I was annoying her. Even though I got all my things back and nothing was missing, it really put a damper on the stay and the poor attitude of the staff was the clincher. I also wrote the corporate offices when I returned home and have received no response. This is a very bad business practice. The discounts here aren't worth it and remember you get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Hojoanaheim, General Manager at Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground, responded to this review, June 22, 2009
Dear Dizneedoll:

I am very sorry for the worry and inconvenience that your missing items caused. I can definitely understand how frustrating this would be, especially when your bags contained souvenirs of your vacation.

We have reviewed this incident with our Housekeeping staff and explained the proper procedure of getting these types of items to our lost-and-found right away to ensure that this kind of thing doesn’t happen again. Our housekeeper certainly should have checked the contents of the bags and sent them right away to lost-and-found, and I apologize that this didn’t happen. The first bag was easily identified and returned to you, but unfortunately, our Housekeeping Supervisor did not understand the description of the second bag. Happily, our Front Office Manager did and was able to work with housekeeping to retrieve your second bag from a large trashbag in your building

I also wanted to thank you for letting us know about the maintenance issues with our air conditioning and carpet; I have initiated work orders so that these can be amended right away. In an effort to reduce energy usage, we do keep the room refrigerators turned off until started up by our guests, and we will be adding notification easels inside the fridges explaining this conservation policy.

It is our mission to provide a clean, delightful, worry-free experience for every guest. Sometimes we make mistakes or things go wrong, but we are dedicated to doing all that we can to make sure that when you leave us, you are happy and looking forward to coming back again. When something is not right, please inform our Manager on Duty right away so that we can resolve any issue to your satisfaction and rescue your vacation prior to your departure.

Regards,

Jonathan Whitehead

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
  • Czech first
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

This was not the best place to stay... dirty, small, outdated, noisy traffic from the highway, not that close to the theme parks (8 min walk opposed to 2 min walk)
Friendly staff, helpful.
Good place to stay if your just sleeping there (apart from traffic noise)

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

We stayed at this Howard Johnson for five nights in May. I was very surprised by the quality of customer service I received even before arriving. I spoke to internal reservations on more than one occation. They were very helpful in helping me find the perfect rooms and location. We requested one room to be top floor Disney View and it did not disappoint. We really enjoy watching the fireworks from the balcony. After returning home I discovered my Father in Law had been mischarged for his room. I sent an email with a copy of the original reservation and he was promptly returned the difference. Staff called both he and I to guarantee everything had been corrected.

My kids loved the splash park. The pool was a little cool for me but didn't seem to bother them. Our second room ended up being directly over the entrance of buiding 1, 2nd floor. While I may return to HoJo, I will never stay second floor facing Disney building 1 again. Right outside crowds would congregate and make a lot of noice, sometimes even in the middle of the night. The hotel was priced correctly for the location and service. We found the bathrooms especially to be pretty run down with cracks and missing floor pieces.

It is by no means a "Disney hotel". We lacked some of the "Disney Feeling" by staying off site but you can't beat the 8 minute walk to the gate! I would recommend this hotel to someone looking to stay offsite and someone who is okay without the over the top luxury.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

I stayed there for one night on June 5th. I have heard so many good things about this hotel, and it lived up to them!

First let me start off by saying, the gal who took my reservations was fantastic. She went so above and beyond what is usually required that I was really wowed at the start.

The Hotel bills itself as "retro" and it is! Do not come here expecting modern looks, as that will disappoint you. This is not a bad thing, but some folks might like the more modern look of newer hotels. Personally, I prefer a hotel that I can feel safe in, looks clean, and I have not paid too much for. This hotel was all three!

We were offered by the hotel to leave the car early in the day if we wished, but we opted to park at the resort (since it was free). We checked in to our room in the afternoon, and headed out to the new Pirate cove. What a wonderful play area. It is not huge, but the kids loved it. They also provide pool towels and plenty of seats to sit and watch the kids. The spa is also located there, which was nice to relax in.

The halls leading to the rooms are enclosed, which make it feel safe. The room itself was clean and tidy. There was plenty of seating outside of the beds (a small table and chairs as well as the desk). There were sinks both inside and outside of the bathroom (which was handy for one person to use while someone else was in the bathroom). It had a small refrigerator and coffeemaker. They offer the basics on the television (but we were there for Disneyland, not the hotel room). We were located on the bottom floor of one of the two story buildings, but never heard the folks above us or next two us (and the hotel was sold out!). Of course part of that was attributable to being tired from getting back from the park at one in the morning.

The office staff was friendly and very accommodating, with checking in/out a smooth, quick process. There was plenty of parking to be had no matter when we were there. It is VERY close to the park; I would estimate a 10 to 15 minute walk with small children. There is a Mimi's Café right across the little side street from the hotel, which serves excellent food at a decent price. (go to their website and sign up for the newsletter, and you will be sent a voucher for one free breakfast..whohoo!)

There was only one snag to the stay. The small fridge was warm when we walked into the room. The door was open so we closed it thinking that was trouble, but when we returned after the rest of the day at the park it was still warm (and we had bought perishables on the way back to the hotel for the morning). Turns out, it was not plugged in. I am all for saving energy, but to not plug in the fridge when cleaning the room for the next guest seems a little much. (Would those four hours really cost that much more?)

So, will I stay there again? ABSOLUTELY!! I have already made the reservations. And I have made three recommendations for the hotel since I got back on Saturday. It is worth the price (I cannot say enough for the Entertainment Card Rates), it is safe, and it was very clean! It meets all my requirements~

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

I spent a long time looking at every hotel within a mile of Disneyland, before choosing the Howard Johnson. It's a great pace to stay, the rooms are clean and comfortable, everybody is friendly and helpful, and their little water park is small but fun. It really is an 8 minute walk to Disneyland, passing plenty of places to eat. They also have a little convenience store open till 11.00pm, and a laundry room which came in handy. They didn't get 5 stars because it's a little noisy. The freeway that runs behind the hotel was loud during the day, but quietened down at night. If you're up early, and at Disneyland all day, it's not a big deal. Also, after I made the reservation I found it $80 cheaper the day before check-in, and they matched the price.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

hojo anaheim is argueably the best non-disney hotel there is. the staff were just amazing and extremely friendly and it was definitely like a home away from home. the hotel has a retro feel to it which just adds to its charm. although we had a room that was facing the highway side in the 7 storey building, we could NOT hear any of the traffic and at night we were able to watch the disney fireworks from the hot tub and that was just lush. the walk to disneyland was less than the stated 8 mins but maybe we were just fast walkers. overall, we had a wonderful time at hojo and wouldn't hesitate for a second to return to this great hotel. THANKS HOJO!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

We've stayed at several hotels including DL Hotel over the last 9 years. The HOJO is the best value for the dollar we have found if you have young children. We have a 2 and 5 year old. They LOVED the new pirate cove water play area. This is the first time in 5 years I could let the kids play without having to do mommy duty on the pool steps watching my toddler. They actually asked to not go back into the park so they could stay and play in the water.

Walking to Disneyland from this hotel is arguably faster than going through the maze Disney puts you through and parking is included in the price. If you have parked at Mickey and Friends or have ever waited in line at the monorail to get into the park from Downtown Disney, you will understand what I mean.

The rooms have a refrigerator so you can bring your own snacks. If you are looking for a clean place to park your stuff so you can go to the park, a nice water grotto for the kids to burn off the extra excitement, and a comfortable bed at night, this hotel is a good value. If you are looking for room service, spa treatments and such amenities, then you should look elsewhere. This is not the Ritz Carlton. But it is similar in comfort and cleanliness to most business hotels at which I have stayed.

For reference, we stayed in a highway facing room. It didn't bother us. Can you hear it? Yes. But to us it was like a constant dull hum of white noise far off in the background and we found it easy to tune it out. My computer is making a less pleasant noise right now.