We stayed 7 nights at the Howard Johnson Anaheim in a Premium View Room, on the third floor in Building 1. I chose this property based on extensive research here on tripadvisor, especially in the Anaheim travel forum, and feel that for our family's needs it was the right choice. I wanted somewhere that was close and easily walkable, clean, quiet, and fun for kids.
Check-in was smooth and we unloaded quickly due to the well-maintained luggage carts available (many properties offer these carts for use but few places actually keep the wheels pumped up, these were great.) Upon first glance I felt that our view wasn't really as "premium" as I imagined a higher floor might be. From our room I felt like most of the view was taken up by the curvy roof of Building 3, however that night we realized that our location was still perfect for watching the fireworks show--we could even hear snatches of the music drifting through the air.
The walk took us about 15 minutes total to get from our hotel door to the Disneyland turnstiles, unless there was a big line at security on the esplanade. The freedom of being able to run back to the room whenever needed was well worth it. Housekeeping was EXCELLENT. I never worried about putting my baby down on the carpet because our maid was meticulous. I also really enjoyed the option of choosing expedited maid service so that when we needed to come back to the room early we could, without worrying that the room would be tied up. We loved both pools, especially the splashy pirate area. Laundry was conveniently located in the basement, I think there are three washing machines and 6 dryers.
Just to be clear: this is not an upscale hotel. The management has done a wonderful job of making the the property into one of the nicest Howard Johnson's I've ever seen--but it is still a 2 1/2 star (two diamond) property, meaning less amenities like granite bathrooms, room service, luxury linens etc. Normally those things are a big deal to me, but when every step counts and you need a way to lure your kid back to the room (with a splashy pirate ship maybe?) then this place really fits the bill. What I did not expect was the level of courtesy from every staff member I met. The front desk staff were especially helpful. Be sure to check out the blog on the HoJo website. I scoured it for discounts and prepared my preschooler by watching all of the youtube videos of the rooms and the pool area. We will definitely be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just an 8-minute walk from Disneyland Park, this non-smoking family resort hotel features Castaway Cove - A Watery Pirate Playground! With slides, drench bucket, water canons, jacuzzi, toddler's wading pool and more, Castaway Cove is a great place for your whole family to play together! Also nestled within the lush, park-like grounds is the family friendly Garden Pool! With free parking, fridges and internet- HoJo Anaheim is the perfect choice for your family adventure! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Wyndham, Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Otel, Agoda, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Low Cost Holidays so you can book your Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel And Water Playground - Anaheim / Disneyland Park
- Howard Johnson Anaheim
- Anaheim Howard Johnson
- Howard Johnson Hotel Anaheim California