“Exceeded my expectations!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Exceeded my expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed 7 nights at the Howard Johnson Anaheim in a Premium View Room, on the third floor in Building 1. I chose this property based on extensive research here on tripadvisor, especially in the Anaheim travel forum, and feel that for our family's needs it was the right choice. I wanted somewhere that was close and easily walkable, clean, quiet, and fun for kids.

Check-in was smooth and we unloaded quickly due to the well-maintained luggage carts available (many properties offer these carts for use but few places actually keep the wheels pumped up, these were great.) Upon first glance I felt that our view wasn't really as "premium" as I imagined a higher floor might be. From our room I felt like most of the view was taken up by the curvy roof of Building 3, however that night we realized that our location was still perfect for watching the fireworks show--we could even hear snatches of the music drifting through the air.

The walk took us about 15 minutes total to get from our hotel door to the Disneyland turnstiles, unless there was a big line at security on the esplanade. The freedom of being able to run back to the room whenever needed was well worth it. Housekeeping was EXCELLENT. I never worried about putting my baby down on the carpet because our maid was meticulous. I also really enjoyed the option of choosing expedited maid service so that when we needed to come back to the room early we could, without worrying that the room would be tied up. We loved both pools, especially the splashy pirate area. Laundry was conveniently located in the basement, I think there are three washing machines and 6 dryers.

Just to be clear: this is not an upscale hotel. The management has done a wonderful job of making the the property into one of the nicest Howard Johnson's I've ever seen--but it is still a 2 1/2 star (two diamond) property, meaning less amenities like granite bathrooms, room service, luxury linens etc. Normally those things are a big deal to me, but when every step counts and you need a way to lure your kid back to the room (with a splashy pirate ship maybe?) then this place really fits the bill. What I did not expect was the level of courtesy from every staff member I met. The front desk staff were especially helpful. Be sure to check out the blog on the HoJo website. I scoured it for discounts and prepared my preschooler by watching all of the youtube videos of the rooms and the pool area. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Building 1, premium view was well worth it for our family. Freeway noise was not a problem at all in...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Czech first
Aliso Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Soo. This is our 3rd attempt to find a good neighbor hotel on harbor. The HoJo might be our final answer for a home hotel on Harbor. I was taken back when the reservation said 5 o'clock check in. So I called, b/c most hotels in the area have strange parking policies. Not this hotel, parking is free and your room doesn't have to be ready. Sweet!!! So we arrived at 9am and our room was ready, AWESOME!! So we unloaded our belongings into our building 3 first floor room and went off on our day. That evening we returned to a quiet cool room. We figured it would be slightly noisy, not at all. It was very quiet and clean. Check-out went smooth and leaving our car until mid nite helped. Plus we could have used the pool even though we checked out. My one and only gripe is a lack of a morning starter like coffee, breads, fruits, water or anything. It's always a nice touch to grab a quick morning bite before heading off. After our search I think we have found our place, clean, close, no hassles and very friendly.

• Stayed September 2013
Imperial Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Awesome location- short walk to Disney. Smooth and easy check in AND they let us leave our vehicle after checkout so that we could go to Disney all day.

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed at HoJo for a week with a 4 year old and a 10 month old. Room was large, staff were friendly and very helpful, kids loved the pool and laundry was handy to do our washing. All within walking distance to Disneyland and restaurants. We'll be back!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We turned up late at night with two extremely tired children. Check in was quick and easy and my goodness were the staff friendly and super helpful. Our room was clean and comfortable with a small dining table. Everything you need when travelling with a baby was there. A refrigerator, microwave and coffee machine. The pool area was wonderful and the kids including the big kids had a blast. We can not wait to get back there for our next Disneyland trip!

Room Tip: Our room, was your regular double bed room. Coffee machine and a microwave so important for heating...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family