“Perfect hotel for Disneyland vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1380 South Harbor Boulevard, Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 114 Hotels in Anaheim
“Perfect hotel for Disneyland vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

This is our second time our family has stayed here. Very clean rooms, comfortable beds, awesome pool area, especially kids area and short walk to Disneyland and restaurants! Will definitely stay again :=)

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Czech first
Simi Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

For the price, this hotel was PERFECT. Very, very short walk to the parks. We thought we would need to get a shuttle or something, but as soon as we got there, we realized we have walked farther to the Disneyland hotel.

Location truly is everything, and what no one really has mentioned is that HoJo is so close to Anaheim you really get the atmosphere. We had a standard room, but we were on the side closest to the park. Not a full view of it, but you could actually hear the music from the parades and accompanying the fireworks at night, which was really neat. Gave it that resort feel.

The water play area was perfect, perfect. We have two young children who really loved it. Even my husband and I were quite satisfied. The jacuzzi in the water play area is genius. Most seats in the hot tub provided a clear view of the whole play area, so I could carefully watch my kids while soaking. Happiness. Even the children's pool (a small beach entry pool) was great. My toddler loved playing in it and my husband and I loved lounging in it. I was wishing I had brought a bath pillow -- propped up on the side of the pool area, it would make quite the comfy lounge area. Our family loved the water area so much that, although we had planned the first day of our stay to play in the pool and the second day to stay at the park, we actually ended up coming back for a two hour respite from our day at Disneyland around dinner time. So great.

A few suggestions for management and heads up for travelers:
#1) I read somewhere that they are upgrading rooms. This is a good idea. We clearly were not in an upgraded one. We have an old school tube tv at home, but this tv sort of stunk. Channel 7 was really fuzzy. This is the era of digital cable, so that's kind of strange.
#2) I guess the difference between the deluxe and standard room, other than the view, is the lack of microwave. All rooms get a fridge, but not all get a micro. I don't think I want to pay more for a microwave, but it sure would be nice to have it... particularly since the little mini fridge has like two settings: off and freezing. Would be nice to have the micro to defrost everything the fridge froze.
#3) Relating to the above, even when the knob was turned down to less than half, the fridge froze the milk I was storing for my toddler. Keep the knob turned quite low unless you want everything frozen. When she woke up in the morning, she was NOT pleased my attempts at defrosting her milk using hot sink water. On the plus side, it did freeze the juice boxes I brought for the park, so this meant they defrosted throughout the day. Having cold juice at 3pm was quite nice.
#4) Better creamer for the coffee. The Keurig is AWESOME, but was sort of ruined by the tiny packets of that awful non-dairy powdered creamer. Just a little thing with those mini cups of flavored milk-based creamer would be amazing.
#5) Bathtub would not stay full. It wasn't like the stopper didn't work at all, but it slowly drained so that my "relaxing soak" in the bath was limited to like 3 minutes before I was sitting in an inch of water. :/
#5) I get that it is a hotel, not really a resort, but you know what would totally take this hotel to the next level? A bar. Not a big one to hang out in, but just a place to order a drink to sip while watching the fireworks and such.

Overall, great service and a great trip. I was not in a very good mood this morning when we checked out, but Art at the front desk was so cheery and pleasant, it was hard not to smile back. We can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Know that the standard rooms do not include a microwave. Being in building 3 right next to the water...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Very family friendly. Great location close to Disneyland. Nice big and clean room. Comfortable beds and being able to open the balcony window for fresh air was great. Also useful to have an onsite laundry. The kids loved to pool and the Pirate play area. Here from Australia.... Would def recommend.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Can't say enough good things about the hojo! The rooms were so clean and kept clean throughout our stay. The beds were so comfortable with all white linens and duvet! We had a great view of the garden pool. The pool and water park were wonderful! My kids loved the pirate cove with the drench bucket! So much fun!!!Wish we didn't have to leave, but we will definately be back! We wouldnt stay anywhere else!!!

Lakewood, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Great hotel! Beautiful grounds, friendly service, closer to Disneyland that I thought it would be. Beds extra comfortable, big rooms, vanity outside bathroom. The pirate pool was cute, but definitely for very little kids. I was expecting an adult pool right beside it, but it's a little further away

Room Tip: We were in Bldg #4 with or room/window right beside the pirate pool. If was noisy, but did not both...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

My two kids, both under 10, loved the watermark area. I personally thought it was tiny in comparison to pictures seen. After almost 12 hours at Disney, they begged to go and Had a great time. Our room boasted views of Disney including fireworks. We were on the third floor and could hardly see anything. I wouldn't pay the extra for the Disney view room again, if I stayed here. I probably wouldn't stay here again unless my kids begged me. Not that is was horrible because it wasn't. The beds are actually extremely comfortable. It is just for as much as it costs I could stay 2 blocks closer and get the same quality. Two or three blocks after 12 hours at the park is worth it.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Forster, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stayed in 2 queens deluxe room . Coming From Australia this was our first family trip to disneyland and we could not have picked a better place to stay for the price. Kids loved the waterpark . Service was great and freindly staff were very helpful. Rooms clean and very comfortable. Great location , walking distance to disneyland and restaurants. Also close to buses and shopping centres made for a memorable holiday experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family