“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 111 hotels in Anaheim
Kingsburg, CA
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

Clean and comfortable hotel with contemporaneous furniture. We were pleasantly surprised, as we did not know what to expect. Close to the park. The bus to Disneyland stops almost in front of the hotel.

520 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Truckee, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

For starters, this should be called the Best Western MOTEL (not Inn & Suites). It is one of those MOTELS where it's shaped in a U & cars can park right in front of your door which equals noise, noise & noise. I was woken up at least 2-3 times per night during our 3-night stay with cars honking, people screaming & talking, doors slamming, kids running up & down the outdoor walkways. It is LOUD here!
Next, our sink stunk like sewage-- no joke. My husband & I had a few "did you fart?" moments as we were brushing our teeth until we realized it was the sink water that STUNK like raw sewage every time we turned it on (we were in Room 326).
Then, everything just seemed dirty, dirty, dirty. None of us would DARE walk around the room barefoot & I cringed when we had to give my son a bath in the tub. I actually felt BAD putting him in that scummy, dated, bath with a grimy shower curtain. Eww!!
Also, regarding bugs, my 22 month-old son got a huge bite/welt on the his back the 2nd day we were at Best Western Raffles & I can now guess what from-- bugs/bed bugs! Reading all of these posts it's pretty obvious where this sudden bite/welt came from.
The breakfast is very, very mediocre: greasy packaged muffins, so-so waffles that you need to wait in line at least 10 minutes to make yourself (it's the only item everyone seems to herd around & there's just 1 waffle-maker), Frosted Flakes & Raisin Bran & breads for toast. We actually went next door to Denny's one morning to have a decent meal & Denny's isn't anything to write home about.
At one point I needed to do a load of clothes & there's a big sign saying "see front desk for change" in the laundry room ($2.00 per wash, $2.00 per dry, $.75 for detergent -- all quarters-only machines). I was told non-chalantly by the front desk gal "we don't have any quarters, try the mini-mart across the way". Come again? You offer a laundry room that requires quarters & can't even supply the $4.75 in change I need to do a single load?
Here are the only positives: a) easy-access to Disneyland. You can walk there in about 10 minutes. As long as you're not exceedingly lazy, anyone can walk from the hotel (we did this several times) and b) you can see the fireworks from the walkways/your room (this can be bad, however, as they are LOUD & we were trying to let our son sleep when they went off at 10 pm).
I would never, never stay here again. There are SO many choices of hotels near Disneyland & the Best Western Raffles isn't totally cheap-- I think we paid an avg of $142/night. For that kind of money I would've gladly shelled out $40-50 more a night & stayed at the nearby Hyatt, Marriott, etc.

Roseville, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

If you read any of the other bad reviews you will notice people mentioning the "bugs in the sink" or "spider bites" and "fleas." That's exactly what I thought too until the maintenance man, Guillarmo, came up and informed me that the bugs were indeed bed bugs. I also took pictures and compared them to photos online. He proceeded to bleach the sink but the bugs weren't just in the sink, they were in the carpet. I had dropped a towel on the floor, picked it up within 5 seconds and put it in the sink when about 20-40 bugs appeared before my eyes. If a towel picked up that many bugs within 5 seconds then the place must be infested! My suitcase was open on the floor and I began to panic because I didn't want all of my clothes infested. I couldn't walk around naked so I had to put something on so I could handle the situation. I was then bit several times after putting on clothes from my suitcase and was too afraid to wear any other clothes out of my suitcase for the rest of the trip. My boyfriend was completely disgusted. He called the front desk after the maintenance man told us they were bed bugs and my boyfriend asked that we be moved to a different room immediately before our stuff got any more infested. They told him a manager would be up shortly. After waiting 2 hours and missing most of our pre-paid day at universal studios I decided to go down to the front desk and demand to be moved since no one was coming up to our room. The girl at the desk told me they couldn't move us until later in the evening because they had no available rooms but when I said bed bugs in front of other customers they magically had a room available. The woman had also told my boyfriend that they had had a problem with them on the 3rd floor so she would give us a new room on the second floor. When we got to our new room we decided to see if that room was infested as well. We took a clean towel out of the bathroom, shook it over the sink and nothing. Then we dragged it on the carpet and shook it in the sink and more bed bugs appeared! I opened my make up case and MORE BED BUGS came off of my brushes. I took photos of the ones that came off of my make up into the sink. I went down to the office and the manager wasn't available (of course) and so we put our stuff in the car because we didn't want it in our infested room and we went to universal to try to salvage our vacation that we already paid for. When we got back to the hotel i talked to the guy at the front desk, he apologized about the problem, said it has been happening a lot lately and that there would be no manager there until 10AM the next morning. Since I booked my room on hotels.com i called them to see if they could help me. After 3 hours on hold they were able to find me a room somewhere else down the street and transferred our reservation there. Thank god for that but the problems with the bugs weren't over. We didn't want to infest the new room at the new hotel so we had to leave our luggage in our car. When we got into our new room we stripped naked at the door, threw the clothes we were wearing in the bathtub (couldn't find a laundry place open at 2AM) and proceeded to wash our clothes in HOT with detergent in the tub. A huge ring of bed bugs appeared in the tub around our clothes(and these were just the clothes we had worn that day). we then had to hop in the shower ourselves and scrub and watch the bugs fall off of our bodies full of our blood. then we had to sleep naked and wet. In the morning we were supposed to go to sea world (pre-paid tickets) but realized we had no clothes since our luggage was in the car infested with bugs so we had to put on our wet clothes from the night before and go to sea world wet and uncomfortable and even though the clothes were washed in hot as the best western hotel staff told us to do, I still got bit and found bugs on me when I showered again later. we stopped at a ross and i had to spend $40 on some underwear, a bra, pants and a shirt. I couldn't afford to replace my make up or buy any clothes that were decent since I was already on a budget so I had to go the rest of our vacation looking like a complete mess so we didn't bother taking pictures of us at any of the parks. I had to wear my ross outfit for the remainder of the trip since I was basically broke having to pay the difference in hotels and the $50 parking fee at the new hotel. I contacted the manager at best western on Thursday, finally got a hold of him and asked for them to compensate our trip since it was completely ruined due to their bed bugs. Jerry told me that he was aware of the bed bug problem but that it was not their fault as the bugs were due to someone working on the drains? He told me he would talk to the owner and get back to me. Once he talked to the owner (days later) the only offer that was made to compensate us was for us to ship our infested luggage to them. I called the US post office and asked if it was a health issue to send luggage that was infested with bed bugs through the mail and they told me I could not send my luggage through the mail if it has bugs in it. I relayed that to Jerry and he said that was no longer an option if the post office wouldn't allow that and that he would talk to the owner about a different compensation. After calling repeatedly a women named Anna finally called me back instead of Jerry. When I told her what happened to us and the trouble we went through she basically laughed at me and told me the only way to receive compensation for my infested clothes was to send her my infested luggage. I told her the post office wouldn't accept it and she said something along the lines of: well of course they are going to tell you that they won't take it if you inform them you have bugs... and when I asked her if she was suggesting I lie to the post office and risk infesting other people who handle the luggage she said she was not suggesting that at all. Then she tried to tell me they had the room tested and no bugs at all showed up and that I probably got them at Disneyland. If that were true then they wouldn't have been in my luggage! I didn't take my luggage to Disneyland! I was sick of the games so I asked for insurance information and she said if I went through their insurance I would probably get nothing because they would have to send someone out to inspect my suitcase. I told her to go ahead and send them. My trip was ruined. I have not been to Disneyland for 13 years and it was my first time going to Sea World which was awful because I was itchy and wet. The hotel was filthy, the staff does nothing but play games with you and they were not sorry at all. Worst experience of my entire life. I will never stay at a best western again. I now have no clothes, underwear or bras. My shoes have bugs in them. I had to walk around the parks wearing sandles that are too small because my tennis shoes had bugs in them. My ankles were swollen, my knees hurt and I was in pain the entire trip. This place wasn't even cheap. I haven't slept in almost a week because I am terrified of having bugs crawl on me when I lay down. I don't want to spread them into my house so my luggage is basically trash now. How can I do anything with no clothes? This is completely crazy! I wish I had read the bad reviews before booking this hotel. I can not stop crying about it. I looked forward to this trip for weeks. I am going to be miserable trying to save up to replace my clothes, shoes, make up, purse, and everything else that was in my suitcase and I'm not even including what my boyfriend lost and he now has to deal with cleaning them out of his car. I lost so much because of this hotel. The lovely memories that could have been made if only I had stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Cleburne, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

We had a two room suite that slept 8 and had 2 baths, which was perfect for our family of 7. The hotel was clean and had laminate flooring, which I liked. They served a expansive breakfast from waffles to rolls. The pool was heated, and though nothing special the kids liked it. The hotel is walking distance to Disneyland or there is bus stop in front of the hotel. We will stay there again.

Modesto, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

We arrived to our hotel at check in time. We had two rooms booked and only one room was ready. My mother in law had to wait 45 minutes beyond the 3 oclock check in time which was frustrating after a long trip to LA. The room appeared to be ok until night came. We had a family suite with 2 bathrooms and 4 sinks. At nightfall the sinks filled up with these little brown bugs. I called down to the desk who had the maintenance man come in and spray bleach all over each of the sinks. We not only were gased out of our room but the bugs came back 2 hours later! My mother in law's room had cockroaches. When I approached the front desk she was very rude and it was not until I told her I had pictures of the bugs did she finally send someone up there. Needless to say we checked out of this disgusting hotel and I am still waiting for a call from the manager after several messages. Never again will I stay here. Dirty Dirty Dirty!

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel!
Corvallis, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

We accidentally left something behind, and asked the hotel to return it at our expense. They wanted copies of driver's license and credit card, front and back. Being concerned about identity theft, we asked if it could be returned COD. They refused. They said only other method was to set up a FedEx account. Did that; left messages; they did not return calls or return the item. Corporate headquarters said they could have returned it COD. Desk personnel and manager were rude and condescending.

In addition, we were without hot water in room three different times during a stay at a time of unusually cold weather. Management totally unconcerned.

Would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

Really enjoyed our stay at the Raffles Inn. Happy with the accommodation. Beds were comfortable, the two bedroom suites were really suitable with our two younger kids. Gave them some space, whilst giving us some of our own. Two bathroons were really nice as well.
Breakfasts were acceptable, coming from Australia the American tastes are a little different to ours. We had no problems, staff were always pleasent to deal with and the rates were good.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Raffles Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!