“Something To Be Aware Of...” 3 of 5 stars

Anaheim Plaza Hotel and Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1700 South Harbor Boulevard, Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Ranked #66 of 112 hotels in Anaheim
santa clara, california
“Something To Be Aware Of...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel quite a few times because of its convenient location to Disneyland. We had booked through hotels.com and paid for a 4 queen bed family suite. Heed this warning if you are planning on getting the same type of room. There are NO family suites. When we were checking in the clerk made every possible attempt to give us two adjoining rooms with double beds and was very pushy about the fact that we would want to have a balcony. Have you seen their balconies? Not worth it. The negotiation continued until I finally stated I would check with hotels.com to see why they were advertising a 4 queen bed family suite. It was not a threat merely an inquisitive statement. He suddenly had two adjoining rooms with queen beds. He said we wouldn't like it because it didn't have a balcony and because we were next to the driveway. He continued on with that balcony thing. I told him I would take the queen beds. He was not really happy by his expression but he was "nice" enough about it. The room was in the furthest reaches of the atmosphere at the end of this large hotel complex but it suited me just fine. The beds were hard for my liking not soft like I'm used to in most hotels but we checked for bed bugs and found none. The rooms required simple maintenance, i.e., some grout or plastic molding cleaned or new needed or hinges on the TV needed screwing in so they didn't just hang but nothing major. This was for my daughter's bachelorette party and it was suitable. We had a good time in the park and came back to clean rooms, lots of towels and basic amenities. Nothing special. It is lacking without a continental breakfast nor have I tried the restaurant as it's not something I would like to eat (Mexican) when Tony Roma's, McCormicks or even McDonald's is close by but other than that, it worked.

Room Tip: DO NOT book a family suite. As I said, I don't believe they have any. They do have suites as w...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

779 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Logan, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My sister booked this hotel for her family and mine for the week following Thanksgiving because it was less expensive than others in the area and fairly close to Disneyland. You get what you pay for. Although their per night price was $15-20 less than other hotels in the area, they gouge you in other ways. There is a $4 + tax per day charge to park your car (even though they assured us when we booked the rooms directly with the hotel that there would be no additional charges). Also, there is no complimentary breakfast provided. I spent $26 one morning on Egg McMuffins and juice for my family of four at the nearby McDonalds, so do the math. You can stay at a nicer place that offers free parking and complimentary breakfast and come out ahead.

How did I dislike our room? Let me count the ways. When we entered our room for the first time, one of the beds had been turned back and the pillows thrown on the other bed. Clearly, they had sent a different group to our room and then moved them somewhere else without recleaning the room. We were creeped out but too tired after driving all day to do anything about it. The grout on the bathroom floor, particularly in the corners of the room, was filthy. The shower temperature could not be regulated. It would fluctuate (on its own) between luke warm and scalding. It would be a potential safety hazard to children using the shower. The television was small and extremely outdated. I honestly didn't realize there were still TVs like that in hotel rooms--very disappointing. The rooms are short on electrical outlets. I was traveling with three teenagers who needed to charge their phones and ipods each night--big problem. The hotel did provide an extension cord over near the TV, but my kids wanted their phones by their beds at night. They don't provide plastic bags for dirty/wet laundry. That is a nice thing to have when you are checking out and need somewhere to store wet swim suits. There wasn't even a pen in the room to go along with the 4-page note pad they provide. The double beds we had seemed extremely narrow, and none of us slept very well during our stay. This hotel is the poster child for "Basic Lodging."

Although this hotel is indeed "across the street" from California Adventure, it is not across the street from the main entrance that you use to get into the parks. We had a good two-block walk to and from each morning and evening. We didn't mind it, but there are several closer places to stay that would be in the same price range, all things considered.

On the positive side, the pool was nice--very big, but a little bit of a walk from some of the rooms. There is also a hot tub.

All in all, it is a basic place to sleep, albeit not very well. If you are a vacationer who believes that your hotel is a big part of the marvelous experience you hope to have, this is not your place. On my next trip, I will definitely try somewhere else.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel. If you must stay here, request a room with a view of the fireworks. Som...
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This hotel is in a great spot within walking distance to Disneyland and a huge choice of restaurants. The hotel is an older style property but is still ok for the price. Rooms are serviceable for what we required. The staff are extremely helpful. Restaurant within the property is good value.

Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

If you want close proximity for a lower price this is a decent choice. But it ends there....you can tell the very minimum is done for this property. They bank on the fact that they will get customers for the proximity to Disneyland. The carpeting was horribly dirty, I'm sure they vacuum but that is about it, deep cleaning would be nice. The sink and shower drains would not drain well at all. The sink had a horrible smell that would come out when you ran water, I'm guessing there is some rotten pipe debris, kind of like what I imagine a shower drain smells like that has never had an ounce of Drano poured down it. This made washing your hands and brushing your teeth pleasant. The temp of the water would fluctuate to very cold to scalding hot with no warning, showers, need I say more? One day we came back to our room from a day at DL to find a half eaten Styrofoam to go cup with potato salad with a fork in it sitting on top of our fridge. We also had a concern about something missing from our room but chose not to address it. The doors to our rooms had big enough gaps around them that you almost didn't need to use the peep hole to see who was at the door, needless to say, there was a substantial amount of light that comes in the room from that. When we go to DL we know we won't spend much time at the hotel, but there are certain levels of comfort and security that should be had as well. Stay at your own risk...

Room Tip: If price and location are your main points for a Disney vacation hotel then look no further, but DON...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Overall, it was a good hotel for what we paid. This was one of those You get what you pay for hotels. Room was tiny, as were the beds. I couldn't sleep much during the two nights we were there. On the second night, I couldn't even use the pillow and ended up bundling a sweater up to use instead. Our first morning there, my husband took a shower and I went to take one after. For some reason, the water was only hot if I took a bath but would immediately go cold if I switched to shower. The pool area was nice. Location was super close to disneyland. Staff were friendly. Large parking lot, gift shop, car rentals, restaurant, stroller/scooter rentals, etc.

Claremont, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

I am, by no means, a hotel snob. I've stayed at two other budget hotels near Disneyland (The Portofino and Clarion) and both were way better than this one. The check-in was very nice and our room seemed clean. But, that is the end of my compliments. The other two hotels I mentioned at least let one car park there for free. This one charged $5 plus $10 more if you want wi-Fi. I hope they are using that money for a makeover because this hotel was FRUMPY. I could deal with its sad decor if the bed was at least comfortable but it was awful. The springs were squeaky and the mattress was hard. The pillows were lumpy and limp. It made for a rough night's sleep and the thin walls didn't help.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Very basic Motel. Quite old, with very thin walls and older furnishings. But, if all you are looking for is a clean room, its an option since it can be less expensive than some other standard Motels close to the entrance at some times of year.
Wifi was $10 a day through a third party.
Standard room beds were very firm, but not too hard
Room was clean, and the cleaning staff and front desk were basically helpful
Walk was about 9 to 10 min walk to the actual Turnstiles that go into Disneyland Park,(there are many others that are in closer walking distance.)
Dollar Car Rental available with one way rental to LAX offered.
Parking $4 per day, pretty easy to find a parking spot.
Small gift shop with a small area of snacks available.
Television had a slightly fuzzy picture and some signal issues, which from other reviews seems to be common for the Motel.
Onsite restaurant which closes quite early, was closed before 8pm while we were visiting.
Pool table in the lobby area.
Area for free computer use and use of a printer

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Anaheim Plaza Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!