“Needs improvement, there are better places for not much more cash.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Stanford Inn & Suites

You added Stanford Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Stanford Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2171 South Harbor Boulevard, Anaheim, CA 92802 (Formerly Comfort Inn Maingate)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #14 of 115 Hotels in Anaheim
Glasgow
“Needs improvement, there are better places for not much more cash.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

Having stayed in this property for 4 nights this July it's fair to say I won't be recommending it to friends. I personally am an experienced traveler while my family are very inexperienced, yet all of us agreed that this hotel needs considerable improvement.

Firstly, noise. The walls between rooms are painfully thin and there appears to be little if any sound deadening between the upper and lower floors. The net result is that any noise from above sounds like a heard of elephants while you can quite literally hear every sound from the neighboring room (in our case it was so loud as to waken both children during the night). Add to this the perpetual noise from the car park (have the heard of double glazing?) and this is far from the most restful of motels in which to spend the evening.

They also appear to need the services of a good maintenance man, in our suite one socket did not work, one hairdryer worked intermittently, one bath plug did not work at all and the air conditioning made such a smell it was unusable. The single armchair was badly stained and the telephone suffered from a nasty case of crackling which rendered it virtually useless.

Oh, and for those traveling with electronics of any kind, bring a multi-plug, this place has very, very few available sockets for charging things like cameras etc.

Maid service was passable (ie. beds were made & towels changed) but beyond that little effort was made to service the room. You appear to be expected to empty your own bin (they do at least provide one in the walkway outside) and I noticed no evidence of the room being hoovered during our stay (with two kids, crisps & things get on the floor no matter how careful you are...)

Front desk staff are helpful and pleasant, answering any queries quickly and politely, going out of their way to assist as much as possible. Special mention is due to the lady who tends to breakfast (more of which in a moment) - she must have the most stressful job in the entire building!.

Finally, breakfast. A buffet breakfast is perfectly acceptable in this type of motel, however the chronic lack of seating is utterly unacceptable. Provision of a few extra seats outdoors is simply not good enough, especially if you are (as we were) unfortunate enough to be eating on an unseasonably cold and drizzly morning. Save yourself the stress and spend an extra couple of dollars on a decent breakfast in Dennys up the road, at least you'll get a seat!.

To conclude, I would not stay here again. The rates are competitive but this motel barely makes the grade for families and anything but the tightest of budgets.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
WayneJiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 15, 2010
First all, I have to thanks you spent your valuable time to write this comments to express your concerns. I sincerely appreciate your efforts.

This is not the first time I learn that the guests were awaken the entire night due to the other guests stayed in the upper stair and/or their next room made too much noise. We have lots of families with kids or school groups to stay with us and visit Disneyland. Most of time, everybody spent a whole day in Disneyland can exhaust themselves out pretty much, and then everybody will take a deep sleep. However, we are not lucky all the time. Sometimes, they came back to their rooms after midnight and kids/students were still hyper and continuously playing or running around. They can waken the guests stayed next to them. If this case happens, our front desk staff needs to call to their parents or teachers, sometimes up to 5~6 times, to seek their help to calm down their students or kids. Dual glazing windows may be one of the best options to resolve the noise from parking lot, but I need to consult with some experts to find out the best way to decrease the noise from the neighbor and/or upstairs.

Our maintenance department does have a Prevention Maintenance Program. I wonder why our maintenance staffs did not pick up those problems in your room. I also check our records that you did not place any complain regarding your room conditions. I regret that we missed the opportunity to fix the room for you. However, that is still no reason for us not able to find those problems prior to your arriving. I will get together with my chief engineer to inspect the room you stayed. I want to make it right.

Our breakfast outside seating areas is all covered, not a totally outdoor environmental area. For the weather we have in the Southern California, it usually works pretty well for our guests. Unfortunely, you experienced an unseasonably cold and drizzly morning. For our property’s size, our franchise requires we have total (27) seats to serve the breakfast. Even we already have 24 indoor seats plus 40 outside seats in our breakfast area, we still have not enough rooms quite often. Sometimes, I wonder myself that I should be happy or should be worry.

I sincerely apology all the inconvenience we caused you not having an enjoyable experience with us. Hope our sincerely apology can earn your understanding and forgiveness.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

The check in was quick and easy. parking was fine, room was stuffy, but wall a/c worked well. Room appeared "clean". However, the carpet was disgustingly filthy, not that you could tell though. My 14 month old was on the floor barefoot for maybe five minutes, then my sister noticed his feet were BLACK. Are you kidding me?! Try keeping a 14 month old and a 3 yr old ON THE BEDS... sigh, made for a rough night. I also took just a few steps and then walaaah, filthy socks. It was gross and I aciually put the comforter on the floor. Breakfast the next morning was quick and easy, as was check out. 5 minute drive to the Disney parking lot.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
WayneJiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 23, 2010
First all, I do appreciate your business and comments.
“Dirty Carpet” is the toughest problem I am facing now. We have washed all our rooms’ carpets before the early of June and made them ready to welcome all our guests during this summer time since we know that we won’t have time to put 5 ~ 10 rooms out of order for two days and wash their carpet. However, our carpet is getting dirty pretty quick. I believe that our guests carry the dirt and grease from our parking lot into the rooms which cause the carpet getting dirty.
I am planning to take two actions to try preventing this condition happens:
1. I am currently looking for an asphalt subcontractor to re-surface and re-stripe the entire parking lot. Hope the sealed topping can help to reduce the loose dirt and grease caught by the guests’ shoes. Due to this work need to close out our parking lot in sections for a week. We plan to have this work done in our slow season, such as September.
2. Add some carpets at the hallway entrances. These carpets should be able to catch some loose dirt and grease from the guests’ shoes.
We will see the results after these two actions done. Hope the “Dirty Carpet” issue can be resolved after that time.
Again, your comments are greatly appreciated. Wish you can visit us again to check how the improvement comes out.
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

We spent six nights at this hotel during a Disneyland visit. We had the 2 bedroom, 1 bath suite for three adults and two children and it was great to have the extra space. My children (ages 6 and 3) were thrilled to have their own room and TV and that was nice for us too. The extra room was larger than I expected. There was adequate space for my 3-year-old to sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor since he has a hard time staying in a bed, and there was still space for the kids' suitcases. The main room was fairly standard for a motel. I thought that our room was clean and well maintained. It needed a couple of minor repairs during our stay (such as a remote not working) and those were taken care of the same day I reported them to the front desk. We could occasionally hear our neighbors next door (during Game 7 of the NBA Finals) or above us, but considering how many families stay here, I did not have any concerns about noise. We thought that the queen beds were comfortable.

The complimentary breakfast included hot and cold cereals, toast, danishes, doughnuts, croissants, juice, coffee, milk, hard boiled eggs, apples, oranges and two waffle makers. During busy times, there was a line at both waffle makers and we had to sit outside. However, the weather was pleasant and we never had a problem getting a seat at one of the picnic tables. I would have liked to see yogurt cups as well, but overall, we were satisfied with the breakfast.

The pool is not large nor luxurious, but it was my six-year-old's favorite part of the trip. We were only in it two times in the evening, and for less than an hour each time, but it was not crowded when we were there.

We used the ART to get to and from Disneyland. There were a couple of times that we waited at least 20 minutes (usually at the park end of the route), but more often, the wait was short or we got right on.

Ogden, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

Just returned from a 6 day stay at this hotel and had a great time. The rooms are perfect for families looking for a place to sleep during their stay at Disneyland. We had a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom kid suite and it was the perfect size for us (2 adults and kids aged 10, 7, 7, and 4). Our kids loved the breakfast each morning, and if you want extra snacks there is a grocery store on Katella about 1.5 miles away to the west. There is a small in room refrigerator that we loaded with drinks and fruit which we then packed to the park. There is also an in-room microwave which was nice to have.

Our rooms were well maintained and clean, and the staff was helpful with whatever we needed. We take the approach that when we are going to Disneyland we want a comfortable place to crash at night which will accomidate our family size and this place fit the bill perfectly.

Their are a couple options for getting to the park from the hotel. We opted to walk every morning and it was not really a problem to do that. But there is also a transit stop in front of the hotel. Another option is to walk one block up to the Disney Toy Story lot and catch a shuttle from there.

All in all we would definitely stay there again on our next Disney trip.

sonoma county
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

clean rooms respectful employes and management very curtsey always making sure your needs are meet to the best of there ability .

tips: pick up ticket for the A.R.T. Bus to go to Disneyland the best way to travel back an forth
pick up Disneyland tick form hotel at a discount.

Called hotel direct for better discount on hotel price then internet.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
wjiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 24, 2010
Thanks for your compliments. One thing you pointed out is absolutely correct. We always give a better discount when the guests call us directly to reserve the room and package.

We appreciate your businesses and looking forward to having another opportunity to serve you and your family again.

Wayne
Spokane, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

Our family of 6 recently stayed here and the first thing we noticed when we walked in our room was the smell of mold. We finally figured out that it was coming from the a/c unit. There was also mold in BOTH of the bathroom showers that hadn't been cleaned in quite some time. The seat was broken on our toilet, and was fixed when we told the maid about it, but how is it that the maid NEVER noticed in the first place, BEFORE a guest checked in?!?!!?? We only had maid service 3 times during our 7 day stay there, and I was wondering of the sheets had even been changed out, or if the beds had just been made. The refrigerator froze everything and there was no way to change the temperature. It was pointless to even have the thing.The breakfast was fine, but if you go....GO EARLY! They start breakfast at 6 AM and it gets crowded VERY fast! The girl who handles this area does a GREAT job of keeping things well stocked and shows everyone how to use the waffle makers. She's awesome! We bought ART passes and were told that the buses run every 20 minutes...HAH! That is a joke! We found ourselves waiting for 30-45 minutes at times and the buses did NOT run on a 20 minute schedule (at least not route 3). Do yourself a favor , pay a little more and choose a hotel that is within walking distance and doesn't smell of mold. This hotel is doing the BARE minimum to keep guests coming in!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
wjiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 24, 2010
We appreciate that you spent your time to share with us your concerns for our property. We apologize all the inconveniences you have experienced in our place.
We usually will clean all the A/C units every year after spring break over to the early June to prepare for the summer. However, no matter how our schedule is, it is not acceptable to have the smell of mold. I already address this issue with my maintenance crew and housekeepers. The housekeepers should immediately report these problems, such as mold, broken toilet seat, etc. It Is no reason for us not taking care those before the customers arrive. It is our bad.
There is no record for any complain that the refrigerator froze everything before you checked out. After you complained during your checked-out, we went to check it and found no problem with that refrigerator. Unfortunately, we are not able to prove to you since you already left.
Due to we are participating the environmental friendly program to be a “Green” loading property, for the guests like you stay a longer period, we change the towels and pillow cases everyday and change the bed sheets every other day UNLESS the guests hang the towels on tower rack or put environmental friendly announce card on the top of the beds.
For the breakfast area, we understand that our breakfast room is not big enough. That’s why we add those outdoor covered seats to accommodate our guests. Based on our property’s size, our franchise only requests us to have (27) seats for our breakfast, however, we overall provide (64) seats to serve our breakfast. Please understand that we do try our best to improve this situation.
Regarding the Anaheim Resort Transit (ART) shuttle does not run every twenty minutes as shown on their weekly published schedule, I already forward your comments to them. I believe they need to hear this from you as well. Actually, we lost around $1,600 every month to sell ART passes in our front desk. The main reason for us to still do so is we try to provide a courtesy service to our guests. I don’t think this is our fault for the ART shuttle runs late.
Again, I do appreciate your comments which provide us a opportunity to improve ourselves.
Thanks for your business. We are looking forward to having another opportunity to serve you and your family.
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

This is the second time I have stayed at this location and it won't be the last. Both times I have stayed here the customer service has been excellent. The rooms were cleaned nicely and the breakfast was great. I didn't care much for the bed, but my husband thought it was great. This is an excellent place to stay and the value is amazing. Thanks Comfort Inn Maingate... we will be seeing you again soon! :)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
wjiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 24, 2010
It is exciting to learn that our hard-working efforts did earn your repeat businesses. I always educate my staffs that earn a repeated customer is better than to earn 5 new customers. It does not mean that earn a new business is not important, it means to earn a repeat business is much more important since they not only have loyalty to give us more business, but they most of time will recommend us to their friends. Thanks again.
Regarding your husband like our mattress, I am not surprise at all, since almost all of our mattresses are pillow-top Euro style mattresses. I wish all our guests will enjoy and have a great experience to stay with us.
Wayne