“LOVED the Menage....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Menage

You added Hotel Menage to your Saves list
Hotel Menage
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1221 South Harbor Boulevard, Anaheim, CA 92805 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Call Hotel:
Ranked #38 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
Hawaii
“LOVED the Menage....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2008

My family and I just returned from our vacation in LA. And we stayed @ the Menage Hotel. I didn’t even look at the reviews till after I had already booked and paid for our room. I just followed my instincts and booked it. From the details on the hotels website, the hotel looked very comfy and it was very affordable. After booking our room, I read most of the reviews and became very afraid and debated on canceling, but I decided to just stick it out - after all, I figured that we wouldn’t be in the room that much, besides just to sleep.

Upon our arrival @ the Menage, the staff welcomed us with open arms and they were very friendly and helpful. There were no lines upon check in which made it much more easier for us, since we have an 11yr who was ready to sleep. We were assigned to room #505. Once we got up to the room, we all were amazed. The room was very decent and livable for the 7days that we were going to be there. The beds were really soft. And the noise from the freeway didn’t bother us at all. I requested for a room facing the Disneyland fireworks. The room was perfect. Whenever we travel I always lock our luggage and write down exactly what we have so that I can keep track if anything went missing - its sounds a bit much too do, but that’s just the kind of person I am and even with whatever else that was left out of the luggage, we didn’t have any problems with theft. Pool stayed open 24hrs - which was really awesome! It is walking distance to Disney theme parks.

Though be advised there were small things that you will need to know before booking - there is a $50 security deposit per each night that you stay there, which they should really rethink about lowering the deposit. The parking was not included with booking, it is not free parking. You will have to pay $10 for self park or $12 valet each day that your there at the hotel, you would think that since you are a guest at their hotel, parking would be free - but its not. But i guess, its just hotel policy - so i learned to be cool with it.

At check out the ladies from the front desk came out to help me with my luggages, which they held in the back for us while we stalled time before our flight out. They were really friendly and helpful and i was greatful that they were able to hold our luggages even though we had already checked out. We went to eat and came back for our luggages @ No extra Charge! which was Awesome!

Overall, the Menage was worth it. My family and i will definetely make Menage our first choice to be while in Anaheim.

One more thing - Refrigerators are not in the room at all times so be sure to request for one upon your check in, if one is needed. It is free and someone will deliver it to your room.

Menage Hotel Rocks!!! Definetely stay there!!

• Disliked — i thought that the security deposit was too high and that extra money could be used for other trip expenses, especially since i had already prepaid my room and that guest still had to pay for parking.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
hotelmenageAnaheim, Owner at Hotel Menage, responded to this review, October 23, 2008
GreatfulHawaii,

Thank you for your comments on trip advisor regarding Hotel Menage! We do want everyone to feel like a part of the family and it looks like we suceeded with you and yours... Unfortunately parking is run by an outside company and the rates just cover the costs of payroll and as you may know all full service hotels in the Anaheim area charge for parking (most charge more than we do). As far as the deposit, we will review this with our team and look at revising the daily charge... Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon at Hotel Menage!

Management...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Kalgoorlie_WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

We stayed at the hotel Menage in June we were a bit worried at first because of the highways but didnt really hear the noise. We arrived early so i wasnt sure if we would be able to check in i asked the girl at the front desk and although our room wasnt ready she gave us one that was. Our room was straight past the front desk down a path in front of the pool the room was nice but one night we had loud noise and music from the pool area until 2am i phoned the front desk shortly after the noise died down and had no more problems with that. The rooms were clean. The location is fantastic so close to disneyland with shuttle service every 20mins or so. The tour desk was convenient and the tour desk operator was very helpful. The restaurant was nice and the food was good. Overall we had a fantastic stay at the Menage and if we go back to Anaheim in years to come with our children we will be staying there.

• Liked — Location,Location,Location
  • Disliked — Early hour music from pool area
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
hotelmenageAnaheim, Owner at Hotel Menage, responded to this review, October 27, 2008
Brian_Lani_Pattos,

Thank you for your kind words about Hotel Menage! We continually pride ourselves on making everyone a part of the family! I apologize about the music, yes at times, people do tend to get spirited out by the pool and I am glad they controled the noise... Our Chef in k'ya is one of the best in town and we pride ourselves on not only the quality of the food, but the value of the dining experience. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon at Hotel Menage!!!!

Hotel Menage...
Ne Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

We stayed 10 nights at Menage and loved every minute of our stay. There were seven of us with 2 rooms. 4 adults and 3 children. The pool was lovely and clean and a delight to swim in. The happy hour at the Pool bar was well used particularly the meals. We were on a budget because there were 7 of us and if we ate at happy hour we well and truly came in below budget. The fireworks from Disneyland could be seen really well. (And of course heard!!) Yes the free way was noisy but certainly didnt interupt our sleep at all. The hotel staff particulary the bell boys and the concierege went out of there way to help us with anything we needed. The walk to Disneyland was an easy 10 minute stroll but we took the shuttle on a few occaions because of the heat. It cost us $3 for an all day pass. We asked for a fridge and it was delivered at no additional charge.
We would definately stay there again should we ever get the chance.
The only strane thing i would like to point out was that the charges for breakfast where the kids eat free, would differ each day depending on who served you. Some days orange juice and toast was included in the price and then others we had additional charges. ????????

Stayed October 2008
Kiwihookedontravel,

Thank you for your comments regarding Hotel Menage! We appreciate your business and your thoughts regarding your stay. As you mentioned the freeway is close, however we have "re-sealed" all the doorways and the noise has been considerably reduced... I will make sure I pass on your feedback to the guest service staff and assure you that our Food and Beverage Manager will investigate what happened with the charges. The kids eat free program should include the beverage... We hope that your travels bring you back to Hotel Menage soon!

Management...
Ewa Beach, HI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

I booked my deal through expedia, and read the reviews after I did so. I was really worried about staying here, but it was okay.
I was pleased that upon arriving early, the friendly staff was able to check us in right away. There is a lot of noise from the freeway, but when you close your door it's really not too bad. I think the pool music is louder then the freeway noise. They really blast that. Maybe in part to drown out the freeway noise, it woke us up several times during naps through out our stay. I didn't call to complain. They lowered it a tad after our first day. Maybe someone else said something.

The pool wasn't heated as stated in the hotel book. But my kids ages 11 and 13 loved it even at night when it was cold out. They could easily jump in the very hot hot tub for a warm up then back into the pool. Lots of towels to dry off, but they are really thin and small, so even the two limit per person wasn't enough to get us dry. We used more then limited, but there was always plenty available.

We all enjoyed the fireworks. Friday, Sat and Sunday nights. I think Sat night was the longest and most beautiful of all nights.
We were able to watch that from our room which was overlooking the pool.

K'ya food was VERY Good, and if you stick the the daily offerings, you can eat on a budget. I tried the bar food one night, and was happy to see I got a discount for happy hour. I wish I had known sooner, that way I could have saved more. And I think the food comes from the K'ya as well. I saw a sign for Panini sandwiches near the bar at K'ya, and I think you can save some by eating that instead of K'ya when you don't want a full meal. They even had PB &J for the kids. Don't forget to ask for a kids menu at K'ya, cause they have one. Not posted in the rooms, but it's there.

There is a Chevron right across the street where we walked for drinks and Starbucks is connected to them, so if you want some strong coffee, it's there. Taco Bell is in the same parking lot as those two, so walk over and have a cheap dinner, and walk back and it will still be warm.

We all managed to kick our toes or our shins on the bedposts in the room. The beds in our room were Queens, but the way it sticks out from the bathroom, you have to get used to it being there and the first couple of days was a learning experience the hard way for each one of us.

I loved the abundance of pillows. And the blankets were very warm. And everything was clean.

The bathroom light over the tub worked the first night, but I think it got too much moisture, and it stoped working after that, but there was enough light in there. The bathroom sink area was a bit small, for four of us, but okay. A couple of nights there was a bad smell from the sink area, but solved the problem by closing the drain. Not sure why, but it went away after a bit. The drain from the tub and sink drained very slow, and ask for extra towels, you will need them for the floor. The curtains aren't long enough on the sides, and the shower head was spraying goofy so water kept getting out on the floor. Even if you tried your best to keep the water in, it didn't work. Lots of towels solved the problems.

I think another mirror in the room would have helped with the early mornings and trying to get ready. Especially with three girls in the room.

The computer room was very nice to have. My kids would go there and loved watching tv and going online. I even used it once to print my tickets to one of the parks, you got an online discount if you printed them yourself and it was nice to be able to have that available for free.

Parking was $10 a night for self park. was nice to be able to park close to your room and not have to go through the lobby. The washing machines were clean, but seemed a bit slow. There were only two where I went, and two dryers as well, and only one worked. I brought my own soap from home, I didn't see a place to buy soap or get change, so be sure to have that handy before you get there. I didn't bother to ask the front desk if it was available, but you can try calling to find out.

The staff was friendly, and whenever I needed towels or anything, the cleaning staff was very quick to help me out.

My husband and daughter counted the steps from the sidewalk outside of the Hotel to the beginning of Disneyland Walkway and they counted 1400 steps. We forgot to include the walkway into Disney, but it was very close and took us only about 10 minutes maybe 15 due to crossing the streets.

If you are there on a Thursday check out the Farmers Market at the Center Street Promenade which is a side street off of Harbor Blvd. They had lots of fruits and veggies for cheap and some crafts and fresh baked breads.

There was a coffee maker in the room, but my husband complained that it was too weak, since the packet was small. I fixed that by buying our own supplies and used the machine every morning. He liked it better. there was no fridge or microwave, but I think you can request those. Not too sure, but when I was at the front desk one night, I heard the lady ask someone to bring out the micorwave from storage. Ask if it's that important to you. Maybe good to make fast meals for the kids. Along with a fridge for milk.

All in all we were satisfied with our stay, and would stay again for the right price. Good location, and lots of things close by within walking distance. Mcdonalds, Mimi's cafe, Ihop, all with minutes of the hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Water splashing out of tub and slow draining tub and sink
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ctells,

Thank you for your comments regarding Hotel Menage. We read all reviews and assure you that we will look into all the comments you had made regarding your visit. Our food at k'ya is quite good as we continually receive great comments regarding the quality. I will pass on your great comments regarding the team members. We do have laundry soap at the front desk and provide refridgerators and microwaves on request. The 1400 steps to Disneyland will help us continue marketing Hotel Menage as the one of the closest hotels to the park... Thank you for that information...

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Surrey, BC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

We had the extremely unfortunate experience of staying at this hotel in July.  Firstly, a hotel maid entered our daughter's room without knocking while she was present.  Secondly, our signed visa bill disappeared from the pool bar.  While at Disneyland on our last day, an unauthorized key was used to gain access to our room.  Cash was stolen from two purses, and cash and a valuable necklace was taken from a leather case which was inside a bureau.  Hotel staff was less than cooperative and we were forced to call 911 and have the police attend.  The hotel is refusing to answer our questions regarding this theft and the issue of an unauthorized room key.  When we tried to get a safety deposit box at the front desk, we were advised that there were none available, and the manager had to empty her personal belongings from one.  We were advised by management that there is not 24 hour security.  We would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone and hope that people will take this under serious advisement before booking here.

• Liked — The pool was the only positive point of this hotel
  • Disliked — Having cash and valuables stolen from our hotel room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dee1717,

I am truly sorry for the incidents that occured at Hotel Menage. I know that this issue was resolved amicabliy... and assure you and your family that the hotel is safe and secure. I know that it's too late to "write" a retraction, however I do know that everything was handled to your satisfaction and that you mentioned that you will be back to Hotel Menage.

Wa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

I had high hopes for our stay, we really got a great deal thru hotwire so that was good. The real problem is noise, this hotel is right in the middle of very busy streets and on one side I-5. Don't get a room on the Harbor Blvd side because you will be awakened by the garbage truck playing pinball with the dumpsters behind the restaurant at 0650 in the morning. My wife found gang graffiti in the hotel directory and one night while looking for the ice machine "which I didn't find" I came across 2 rather scantly clad "ladies" standing outside of a room smoking pot. The room directly behind us had the door open for 2 nights until I closed it, I guess the cleaning staff didn't bother to look into that. I would not stay here again. Someone has put alot of money into this hotel I hope they get things cleaned up.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Noise, Questionable clientele
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
FXWG1980,

I am truly sorry about your experience with Hotel Menage. I assure you that this is NOT at all acceptable and indicative of our Team! We did not notice any reports regarding the smoking in the hallway's, however we would NOT permit that by any stretch of our imagination. I am hopeful you will give us another opportunity to show you a "better experience"...

regards,

Hotel Menage
Central Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

Well let me just start by saying that we simply LOVED this place.
My partner and I didn't want to leave.

Where to begin.
We checked in really quickly, and were greeted at the desk by the lovely staff. (more on them in a moment) And straight on up to the fifth floor! (top floor)

Uh-oh! we exited the elevator and my fears sank in, 2 freeways, lots of noise!! I was worried, but we walked to our room and entered.

Wow! as soon as the door was closed, all the freeway noise was basically gone, we co uld still hear it, but only just, the TV or the Aircon would get rid of this noise VERY quickly.

When we entered the room, it was beautiful. Clean, crisp and looked a lot like the pictures on their website. The HUGE TV was awesome with so many Hi Def channels and the bed was just great, I've stayed in many hotels in my travels, and this bed and its pillows rank up there, a LOT better than I was expecting.

There was a nice sink and huge mirror, in the room.
The only complaint was that the bathroom was on the small side, and I do mean small. There was the standard bathtub/shower setup and a toilet. The roof was low (although I am 6 foot ridiculious) and the tiles were painted over, which mad e the bathroom look kind of cheap, but I mean really, apart from a shower and using the toilet, what else do I want from a bathroom!? Really, I can't say it was that bad, it was just a bathroom! lol. for what it lacks the room surely made up for anyway.

Our room (507) had a nice view of the pool area, which I must add was nice, nice trees, lots of little places to lay down, a nice pool and a cute little outdoor bar that my partner loved, especially between 4pm and 7pm (happy hour) HALF PRICE BAR MENU and selected DRINKS!! What a great way to end the day I must say.

From our room (walking outside) we had a GREAT view of the fireworks from Disney, and from the pool area, you simply can't get a better view.

Where they let off the fireworks is almost exactly in line with this hotel and seriously there was a GREAT view and solid atmosphere as everyone gathered around and sat in the pool area during the fireworks, I actually liked it more than Disney as it was without crowd and MUCH closer.

The real gem here though, is definately the staff. In all my travels worldwide, I have never come across staff of a hotel that were so friendly. The valet parking guys at the front always greeted us when we walked back from a day out, there was ALWAYS a smile and acknowledgement from the staff at the checkin counter, even when we would just walk by.

The concierge helped me with a package and even wrapped it up and helped to pack it up really tight (I didn't even ask he just offered) and Frank from the bar was just a really nice guy, very friendly, enthusiastic and more than happy to have a chat.

I must say the staff was brilliant and I cannot give them enough praise.

We ate a lot from the Bar menu at this hotel for Dinner, loved the cheap Pepporoni pizza, and we dined once at Kya. Great staff once again, really friendly, beautiful food, and compared to other restuarants in the area, very well priced, however due to a poor $ on our trip we stuck with the bar menu.

The hotel also offered up FREE internet downstairs, only 2 pcs so sometimes in the early morning I would have to wait, but most times I was able to get straight on, It was quick, and I was able to print for free as well.

The last thing would be the distance, everyone wants to know. The beauty of this hotel is that it's tucked away from all the other hotels. All the other hotels try and bunch up to be across the road from Disneyland. The Menage shares the same street, and a very small few minutes walk along the street got us to the front gate. Really it was only a few minutes to WALK (not drive) to Disney and the surrounding areas. There is a bus service, but we never used it as it really was not far to walk, and what is great, is you escape the hussle and bussle of all the thousands of tourists as the footpath runs all the way down the road to Disney.

A great find, a lovely 11 night stay!! It's a little home away from home and next time I visit Anaheim I will DEFINATELY be coming back to the Menage.

I highly recommend it to all.
I have also ticked the box so if anyone has any questions they can feel free to ask.

I will be uploading my personal photos of this hotel when I get home from this trip!

Great work Menage, an awesome stay!

• Liked — The Staff and atmosphere
  • Disliked — The bathroom
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
darvian22,

Thank you for your great comments about Hotel Menage!!!! I assure you the team here will see this and smile with encouragement! Your comments made me smile as I sit here reading your words, all I have to say is Thank You! The food is quite good and we tried to put value into quality and top the experience off with a great staff! As far as the bathrooms are concerned, unfortunately we could not do much with the size, but you'll be happy to know that we will start "re-doing" the bathrooms first quarter of next year... We definately look forward to seeing you again at Hotel Menage, and again thank you for making us your choice in Anaheim!

Hotel Menage.

Been to Hotel Menage? Share your experiences!