“Great service and location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Menage

Save Saved
You added Hotel Menage to your Saves list
Hotel Menage
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1221 South Harbor Boulevard, Anaheim, CA 92805 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Call Hotel:
Ranked #31 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
“Great service and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Two nights in Anaheim at the tailend of our USA holiday in June 2013 found us at the Hotel Menage. Checking in was no problem and the staff were helpful. The first thing we noticed (well the kids actually) was the pool (dad noticed the outdoor bar). The second thing we noticed was the freeway noise as we were staying on the 5th floor and faced the freeway but I have to say after closing the door this wasn't a problem. Overall the hotel has a great vibe and the staff are on the whole younger and very helpful. We took the shuttle bus to Disneyland on two days and had no problems getting there and back and you can buy tickets at the desk in the hotel. We ate breakfast at the buffet in the restaurant and it was fine and cheap. Dinner in the same place was ok too. The pool is definitely one of the plus factors and being able to have a drink by the pool while watching your kids swim is a definite thumbs up from me. WiFi was free and available in the room and worked fine. Overall I would recommend Hotel Menage particularly if you don't need to go back to your room from Disneyland multiple times during the day. Also it has to have one of the best views of the fireworks from the pool!

Room Tip: Don't worry too much about the freeway noise unless you intend to spend a lot of time in your ro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Rome, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The lobby is basically a bar and very dark. The bed and pillows were like sleeping on boards. It is right on I-5 so the traffic noise is constant. We had a reservation for 4 nights (confirmed in writing), but the desk called my husband on the last night when we were at Disneyland and asked when we were going to get out of our room. He then argued with my husband about the reservation. Very rude!!
This is not a "boutique" hotel. It is an old motel that has been renevated and basically has the feel of a nightclub. There was a big loud party on the weekend that carried up to the walkways late at night. Maybe fine for young couples, but not exactly where you want to stay with kids while getting up early to go to the parks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Menage, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. We regret to hear that your stay was not what you had been expecting.
I apologize for the confusion regarding the length of your stay, and we've spoken with the front desk regarding the way they handled the situation.
We appreciate your feedback and candid comments.
Warm Regards,
Charlotte, Guest Services
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Harbor Blvd is lined with hotel upon hotel providing the most sparse (but often perfectly satisfactory) rooms for Disneyland tourists. This is a fun step up from those. The hotel is well designed, thematically consistent (so rare these days) and up-to-date with a fun and active ambience. We spent one day at Disneyland, but another at the hotel pool ... all day ... it was awesome.

The pool is 24 hours. That may be a burden to rooms in the immediate vicinity, but we faced the pool from the 4th floor and it wasn't a problem. The reality is that few use the pool very late, but it's nice to know that you can make use of this amenity for a quick dip after a theme park day if you want to. I've read disparaging comments about the fact that they play a pretty strong track of music around the pool until 10 pm. Seriously, this is a brilliant move on the hotel's part. My one big "issue" with this location is that it's right next to I-5 and the traffic sound is constant. The music around the pool relegates the cars and trucks to so much white noise, and it works. Our room was a pool and I-5 facing room, and I was impressed with the sound-dampening that took place when we closed our doors.

Rooms are up to date. I like the laptop-case-friendly safe. Comfy (if a bit firm) bed.

This hotel is located directly behind Disneyland (right behind IT'S A SMALL WORLD, actually, and the "backstage buildings" ... just across I-5). Since this is where they launch the vast majority of the park's nightly fireworks show, it really is a prime location for enjoying the pyrotechnics. They went off just as we arrived, which I thought was a nice touch. You really should plan to enjoy them if you're at the hotel at the right time. You won't be able to ignore them. They easily drown out the highway sounds.

The service was swell. The bartender at the poolside palapa bar was great. We spent a full day just relaxing at the pool, and then enjoying the 4-7 pm happy hour small plates and drink discounts. The hot dog sliders were tasty.

Looking at a map, you're basically at the corner of Harbor and Ball. There's a full complement of convenience stores (including a Walmart Neighborhood Market) at Ball and Anaheim, just two blocks east. The walk to the park entrance is not insubstantial (so I wouldn't recommend planning to go back and forth throughout the day), but it's an easy 10 minutes (especially to the park ... a bit more uphill coming back).

All in all, I'd recommend this especially to young couples. There were plenty of young families and kids having a great time, but the vibe seemed to be tuned to active adult lifestyles more than kids. In short, I'd stay here again ... and there are lots of choices in the area so that's saying something.

Room Tip: We faced the pool (and the highway) and the noise was not a problem. I'd recommend a higher lev...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We visited Hotel Menage in April of 2010 and had an amazing time. My husband and I travelled with another couple and got two rooms side by side. The decor is tasteful and contemporary. Rooms are clean and spacious. My favorite thing about this resort is the pool. Beautiful and lush foliage surround a freeform 24 hour heated pool and hot tub. Beside the pool there are plenty of loungers and a quaint tiki bar with tasty adult beverages. I really feel like I get the best of both types of vacations when I stay here. I get the lounging, relaxation when I'm at the hotel and the fun activities at Disneyland. The one drawback is the walk. It was fine with just us (two couples in their late 20's/ early 30's) but I think it would be rather challenging with children or grandparents. Also, starbucks is across the street if you need a caffeine fix! We ate at the hotels restaurant a couple times and I felt the portions were too small for the value. I found the menu to be almost too large. Perhaps if the menu was reworked and scaled back the offerings could be more plentiful or affordable. It was delicious though! And there are plenty of places to eat along the route to Disneyland.
Overall:
The Good- Amazing pool with view of fireworks and tiki bar, affordable cost, clean contemporary rooms, friendly staff.
The Bad- Long walk having to cross the overpass.
The Ugly- None as far as I'm concerned.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the freeway if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We are thrilled to hear how you enjoyed your recent stay! Thank you for your comments, compliments, and feedback. We look forward to hosting you again!
Warm Regards,
Charlotte, Guest Services
Elmhurst, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This hotel is very close to Disney and downtown Disney, which is great if you are going there for the day/night. The rooms were pretty nice. Ours was poolside and close to the fun tiki bar! Really good breakfast- worth the price!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms face the pool so you may get noise from the tiki bar and/or pool since its open al...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bellingham, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Valet was not friendly, checked in with four people gave us a room with one bed. Asked for a different room and felt that we were inconveniencing the staff. Got a different room that looked like someone had kicked the door in. The door stayed close only because of the lock, tub and toilet leaked. Walls were paper thin and you could hear your neighbors. Asked staff for directions around the area and was told to get a map. Not friendly at all, stayed away from the front desk until check out which unfortunately we had booked 4 nights. Walk to Disney is taking your life into your hands considering you have to cross the freeway exit and entrance. Is not a 15 min walk, more like 30 min. Parking is not included in price, room not clean, very dusty. Not enough towels for 4. Drunks by the pool and very small hot tub, not family friendly.

Room Tip: Do not take th elevator on the North side, it smokes.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Menage, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
We are sorry to hear your opinion of your recent stay at Hotel Menage. Your feedback has been noted and passed along to the valet, maintenance and housekeeping departments.
Thank you for your candid comments.
Hotel Menage
Fort McMurray
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We have been at the hotel for a few nights now and will be soon checking out. I really like our suite however when we went to check in the room was not ready because maintenance was fixing the shower head, which was fine. The hotel gave us a $50 food voucher so we went and had dinner while we waited. We got to the room and it's a beautiful suite... But the shower head is still broken. Looks like they used cement to try to hold the shower head up but it still just hangs there. The shower is useable but it's a bit tricky to use. We told the front desk and she said she would get someone to look at it... That was 4 days ago.
The other thing that really disapointed me was the restaurant and pool bars service. The first day was awesome when we had Jeff but after that it was crazy. It takes forever to get the bar tender and waitresses to get you anything. It appears that they are short staffed and are training new people. I was really looking forward to this hotel for the pool bar part of it but you have to sit at the bar and keep trying to get someone's attention to get anything. Same thing at the tavern. Our waiter seemed to keep disappearing in the back. We were killing 20 mins while waiting for a cab and it took 15 mins to get a drink. There were only 2 other people in the whole restaurant so I was quite confused on how it would take so long.
The other thing that really grossed me out was room service trays left everywhere for hours.our first morning we ordered breakfast.we finished eating and put the trays out side our door around 9am. When we got back to our room at 4pm the trays were still there. When we left the room again around 6 the trays were finally gone. Yesterday we ordered breakfast and put the trays outside around 10am. We left the hotel around 5:45pm for dinner and the trays were still there. We got back to the hotel around 7:30pm and the trays were still outside our door.my fiancé asked a passing cleaning lady if she could take them. She took them down two doors and dropped them in front of someone else's door. I had to call the front desk twice and by 9pm the trays were finally picked up. Gross.
Besides the service the hotel location is great. We walked to Disney and can see the fire works from our room. The layout of the hotel is really nice and has a resort feeling. I enjoyed the stay over than the bad service.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Travellergcd,

I am so sorry to hear of the lapse in good service during your stay. We truly appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. There is no excuse for the wait times in the restaurant and bar, and also for the lack of attention to the room service trays being left in the hallways.
Your experience has been been brought to the attention of the management and staff of these departments and we are holding a re-training session with the staff to ensure this does not happen again.

Thanks again for your candid comments and feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again, and to demonstrate the quality customer service we strive for.

Charlotte Gulley
Guest Services

Been to Hotel Menage? Share your experiences!