“Meh..Not impressed.” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Mill Valley, California
“Meh..Not impressed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Chose this from photos, location, and the hotel's description of being "boutique", thought this was the best for our buck...but you're really paying for the location. It was just my husband and I, but we chose, I think it was a Superior Room, because it was larger (two beds), and mostly because the sink area is separate from the toilet/shower....

To me the worse thing in a hotel is when you have a sink or shower that won't drain. - So sink would not drain - disgusting. Also, sink area was very small, the room was very small, I'd hate to be a family of 4 staying in a room this small, just claustrophobic. Another big pet peeve of mine is light bulbs that are burned out....Really - after taxes, resort fee and parking fee, it was about $215 a night - just a rip off - but you're paying for the location....We'd have to pay double and stay at a Disney hotel probably for something better....Also - they give you a coffee pod in the morning, but we had to jump through hoops to try to get regular and not decaf. One caveat - the bed was comfortable. The carpet needed replacing. The amentities were lousy - an all in one shampoo-conditioner - couldn't wait to wash my hair again afterwards.

Room Tip: Good luck.
Green Features: Always a good idea. Never have a problem with this.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

909 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Anaheim Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with my family last month and we had a great experience. The rooms were very clean and the staff was very friendly. I especially liked the fact that it is super close to Disneyland and that if you go up to the roof where the pool is you can enjoy seeing the fireworks.

• Stayed March 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Came to spend a full day at Disney Land with some great people. Ended up staying here because no one wanted to drive home and we didn't want to park at Disney. Staff were friendly and helpful. Valet took care of my truck and allowed me to park at the property the whole day! I did a pre check-in around 11am, came back and got keys to the room later on.

I wish I had brought my own pillow! The pillows that are provided are 12''x12" and you need to stack them on top of each other in order to get any kind of support.

I will be back! Thanks again!

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our room was small but clean. My daughter was pretty grossed out by the picture of birds eating their own eggs in room 405. You also cant check in until 4:00. We had an early flight in so we had to leave our bags at the hotel and take our exhausted selves to adventure land. It is only a ten minute walk to Disney so that is a plus. We asked the front desk person what the cheapest way to go five miles to trader joes was and she quickly called a driver for us and he charged us SIXTY dollars! I also asked how I could fedex a package and she told me Id have to walk several miles. Try the uber app for traveling and do not use AMG tours that they reccomend and have posted use a company who gives you more than thirty minutes at each stop. So 4 stars for cleanliness but if you are a tourist they are not helpful at saving money.

Stayed April 2014
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed at the Carousel Inn and Suites from March 26-29, 2014. We stayed in their ‘club’ section which is located at the rear of the property. We chose the Carousel because of its location, across the street from the entrance to the Disneyland Resort.

We arrived early and parked our car for the day without any issues. Very courteous valet staff. We returned later in the day and checked into room 237. We walked over to our room, opened the door and were greeted by an overwhelming odour of bleach. We figured they had just finished cleaning our room so we left the door and window open to air the room out for a bit before returning to Disneyland. We got back later in that evening (exhausted) and were welcomed by smell of urine. We attempted to locate the source of the smell as we aired out the room. We could only isolate it to the area of where the room splits into the bathroom. We also tried to freshen up the room with the AC but it was way too loud to sleep (it is a large older style AC unit located in the room, under the window).

The beds were comfortable and as we tried to fall asleep we quickly realized that there was going to be a lot of noise transfer between rooms, including all plumbing.

I spoke with hotel staff on the way to the park the next morning. They were very courteous and assured me that they would liaise with housekeeping to resolve the odour issue (not to mention there were only two towels in the room for our family…but really not a big deal).

We spent the next 15 hours at DL and returned to find the urine smell was worse than before and there no towels in our room. We called the front desk and requested towels and they were immediately dropped off.

The next morning we woke up and began to get ready for another day at DL. We brewed our coffee (two coffee pods included, all additional pods were $1 each) and found our uncleaned hotel coffee cups unchanged from the previous day.

It was apparent during daylight hours that the bathroom and shower areas had not been thoroughly cleaned for some time. There were what appeared to be mold spores on the walls and ceiling, hair from previous guests stuck on the ceiling and pubic hair stuck on the wall behind the door. By this point we decided not to unpack our suitcases because we didn’t want our belongings to absorb the odours.

I again spoke with staff on the way to the park and they were very apologetic and made notes of the issues in front of me, apologized again, and informed me that they would be speaking with their manager to resolve the issues. There was an obvious disconnect between front office and housekeeping staff.

We returned to our room after our third full day at the parks to find the lingering smell of urine and the noted bathroom issues untouched. I personally tried to wipe down the walls with a towel but they needed more elbow grease than I wanted to use at 11 pm. We attempted to air out the room before heading to bed (we could not leave the window open because it made our room accessible).

We checked out on March 29th. I again reminded the staff at the front counter about the ongoing issues in the room. The staff member I spoke with confirmed that portions of the issues were documented but she was unaware of the others. She again apologized and stated that this is not up to the standards at the Carousel. I encouraged her not rent the room in its current state to another guest. She said she would be speaking with management, and then handed me our invoice with a full three days of room and parking charges.

Compensation for us was never the issue. We knew that by staying a the Carousel we should not expect the same level of service as other full service options in the area. What we did expect was a clean and comfortable place to rest our heads, after long hours at the ‘Happiest Place on Earth’:)

We definitely did not get what we paid for and now regret our decision to stay there. I would encourage others to take our experience in account when making their choice on where to stay in the Disneyland area. Such a poor experience can effect your impression of DL.

Sorry for the long narrative, but I thought I back up my review. I have attached a couple of pictures from the room. I have not added all of them because I don't think they are necessary to make my point.

Happy/safe travels!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had a nice stay here in this hotel near Disneyland.
It is just a short walk to the main entrance. About 2 minutes.
Easy going!

The reception can sell you tickets for the entrance if you wish.
The room was nice, the bathroom was hugh!!!
Everything was absolutely clean. The roomservice offers you every day new soap, shower gel and everything you need.

There is a coffee machine on your room.
There is also a pizza place around the hotel. They offer you a pizza for 10$ and you can do your own pizza too!!! That was quiet cool.

The really bad thing is the INTERNETand the SLEEP QUALITY... You have to pay for wireless internet! It's 6$ für 12h of internet. and the connection is really bad. This sucks really! I never had a hotel with no complimentary internet. BAD!!!
The room was really noisy. I had a room in the 3rd floor and it was really loud. You hear everything. Just if someone is walking in the room above you or someone wants to get his car from the driveway or someone is carrying hs bag across the floor!!!!
It was really loud.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
West Linn, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I've been to Disneyland many times and stayed at several hotels in the area, including Grand Californian (so maybe my standards are a little high!), but I've walked past the Carousel many times and thought "How charming! I'd like to stay there sometime!" So when we decided to enjoy Spring Break at Disneyland, the Carousel was our top choice, as the Grand Californian was a bit out of the price range this time. Well, I wish we'd splurged a bit or perhaps done a bit more research on the neighboring hotels, because while the outside is very nice and the staff was pleasant, our stay was nothing more than average. It started with the room not being ready at check-in, 4:00pm, which resulted in a wait in the lobby. Normally, that would have been OK, if not slightly inconvenient (16 hour drive; nap and shower desperately needed!), but there are salespeople in the lobby trying to sell you on timeshares with Wyndham; unfortunately, we were initially led to believe by the salesperson that he was offering us concierge service. Needless to say, that put us off for the service. The next day, we came back from the park for a quick nap to find that our room had not been made... at 4:00pm! When housekeeping came at 4:30pm, we were all napping and declined the service. Those would be the only problems we encountered. Unfortunately, there was nothing to counteract these problems. The pool was small and average. We had a clean and adequate Club room; I will have to say that the beds were VERY comfortable! But to "upgrade" to the Club rooms, I expected there to be a bit more...something. Unfortunately, the price was not worth it, for a hotel that I had always thought of as "better". Guess you can't judge a book by its cover...

Room Tip: Having a Club room does give you more access to your car if you plan to drive to surrounding areas.
Green Features: Adequate, although most stays are 4 days and they change the sheets after the third day unless you specifically ask them not to.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Carousel Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!