“I felt I was mislead” 1 of 5 stars

Extra Hotel Discount !
Ranked #28 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
“I felt I was mislead”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2006

I booked a week for King Bed studio at this hotel based on the comments of the other reviewers on TripAdvisor, the weekly cost for accommodations, and after thorough review of the website compared to other budget hotels in the area. I was very satisfied in my research and cost comparisons. However upon arrival on the property, I felt like I was deeply mislead and regretted my decision to stay.

-Upon arriving I saw the sign that stated "Furnished Apartments". I thought this was a hotel and felt deceived by the classification on the website. I asked if I could leave early and not be penalized but I was already within the unrefundable timeframe of the cancellation policy. At one point, I was willing to make the sacrifice and check out to stay at another hotel but I didn't go with my gut.

-Property looks very aged than what is seen in the pictures on the Hotel Pepper Tree website. When we arrived at our room we were even more disappointed! The kitchen cabinets didn't close properly, the "couch" in front of the TV was very tiny and uncomfortable (made of leather and some sort of wicker), bed linens felt old, there was hair on the pillow. It was all EXTREMELY substandard in quality and cleanliness.

-I was travelling with my one year old just learning to walk and there was a lip between the carpet and the tile which proved to be a very unsafe experience. There seemed to be more tile than carpet available. Also, the carpet and tile was very dirty.

-Kitchen: Better think again if you're looking a the studio w/ kitchen to save you money on eating out. We brought our groceries but it was impossible to use their stove and oven. It lacked power and it took forever to get water to boil.

-Air conditioning: We had the airconditioning on for one day and when we turned it off, the AC continued to leak water. The water saturated the 2X3 feet of carpet area dangerously close to an electric outlet. Again, another unsafe experience with a baby of course. They did repair the problem by the time we got back from our day at the beach.

-Bath: The water temperature seemed to fluctuate (towards hot) which proved difficult in giving my baby a comfortable bath.

- Housekeeping for a weekly studio was only three days a week. This was not disclosed to me when I booked the weekly rate. For the same price, I could've stayed at a hotel for the same amount of money and received clean towel and linen service everyday! I complained and was able to get an extra day of housekeeping.

I would NEVER stay at this place again. From the instant that we drove up, we couldn't wait to leave. It really marred our vacation experience.

• Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2006

We had a group of several families in Anaheim for a youth basketball tournament. We wanted to stay at a place with lots of room but still affordable. I had noticed that this was the #2 rated hotel in Anaheim, and now I see why. Great mix of room, comfort, affordablity, and location.

Upon arrival, the staff was very accomodating and friendly. We had some people arriving late, and they allowed us to check in for them with a confirming phone call. He then showed us to our HUGE king double suite. Did I mention it was HUGE? Very spacious, with two separate bathrooms. You have heard the room descriptions from other reviewers, so I won't go into that. The staff was available when needed, but not intrusive or hovering.

We were able to have a couple of family barbeques poolside. The desk provided the neccesary utensils that most people don't bring along on vacation. With Ralph''s right across the street, this setup couldn't be any more convenient. It was almost like being in someone's back yard, poolside with the grill smelling great.

Location is close enough to anywhere you need to be in Anaheim. A previous reviewer complained about the location. Dude, it's Southern California.... you're not going anywhere fast. I loved the location because you are close enough, but not too close to the major attractrions. We didn't see any of the families like the other reviewer, that expect the hotel to be responsible for your kids. They're your kids....YOU take care of them.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the Pepper Tree. It's not the Ritz, but if you are like our group, we didn't want the Ritz, we wanted a comfortable roomy place at an affordable price.

Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2006

We stayed her for 6 nights recently and I am afraid that it did not live up to the hype on this site. The hotel looked like a 60's motel that had been given a makeover. Whilst the rooms are very large they are also quite noisy.

The staff however were excellent, we needed driving instructions to Universal and the Alamo drop off at LAX and they downloaded these for me very quickly off the internet.

Beloit, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2006

Hotel Pepper Tree, Anaheim, CA
June 1, 2006
The staff at Hotel Pepper Tree went above and beyond their duty to make my family feel comfortable both before we arrived and while we were there. Going to a big city, where you don't exactly know how to get around in the city, can be scarey, but the caring staff--Mayra and Rick, helped to make us feel like we knew how to navigate in the "big city". The accomodations were wonderful and located conveniently to area businesses. Thanks, Hotel Pepper Tree, we'll be coming back soon!!

Reviewer: Wisconsinite moving to the "big city"

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2006

I spent one night at the Pepper Tree Hotel in an Executive King Suite on ground level. There were quite a few things that I really liked about the room I stayed in such as the attached enclosed patio with fountain and the built-in kitchen area. I also liked the southwest style feel of the room that I stayed in. Overall, I had a great time at the Pepper Tree Hotel and would definitely consider staying there again.

nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2006

We spent five nights at Hotel Pepper Tree in early June 06. We stayed in a two room king suite for a total rate of $123 including taxes. The rate was comparable to other properties we were considering but we decided on the Pepper Tree because they offered larger rooms and were getting great reviews from other travelers.
The two room suite is about 800 square feet according to the hotel and appears to be that large. The rooms are identical, each having a kitchenette, small bathroom and dressing area. Inside corriders lead to the room. Lots of closets and cabinets to store your belongings.
We started having problems before we even arrived. They required a deposit of over $200 to hold the room which I agreed to but they charged the entire amount of $615 to my card instead. I had to call and have them reverse the charges. I found this annoying because other hotels I've used in the area do not require pre-payment to hold the room.

We arrived and they had the room set aside that we had requested, top floor, no smoking and away from Lincoln Ave which can be very noisy. The garbage trucks do service the apartments behind the hotel several times a week at about 0600 and woke us up.
At first glance we were disappointed in the room not being very clean and poorly furnished with cheap quality furnishings and linens. That surprised us because it was apparently completely refurbished a few months ago.

The floor was large spanish style tile and around the beds was carpet that had been laid without any padding. That means all around the room is 1/4-1/2 inch lip of tile that can be easily tripped over and stubbed toes. Not safe at all for toddlers or people with any kind of uneven gait.

The beds were good but not outstanding as stated by other reviewers. Not nearly as nice as a Hilton or Hyatt property. Hilton and Hyatt are in the same price range in the area. There was a very large King, one twin and a fold out futon that appeared to be a queen size. Only one kitchen was furnished which meant you could not make use of the other kitchen. The fridge on the furnished side was broken and could not be used so we made lots of trips back and forth. Manager was not able to get this repaired although he stated he would. There are dishes, soap, sponge, coffee pot and toaster. The fridge is very small without seperate freezer compartment. The four burner gas stove is apartment size with a small oven. The knobs are all on the front where a toddler can easily turn them on. There is not a dishwasher or rack to put your dishes on to dry.

Television included some ESPN and HBO stations, nothing for kids at all. Our kids suffered withdrawels since they are used to hotels having Cartoon NEtwork, PBS KIDs or something fun to watch. There are two tv sets, one remote did not work.

Outlets were another unsafe item, holes were left punched in the walls with exposed wiring. I pointed this out to the manager (RicK) and he said he didn't know how to fix it. I told him kids could and would crawl under the desk to it and put thier fingers in it. I also had to show him several areas that were quite dirty on the walls and bathroom and asked to have them cleaned. Bathtubs were never cleaned during our stay. The kitchen and table tops were also not cleaned. We did wash our own dishes each day so nothing was left a mess.

The hot water is extremely Hot! However it cycles on and off between hot and cold while you shower or fill the tub. My son burned himself quite badly while taking a bath. The shower is very low and set up for people of very short stature. There was good water pressure.
Amenities like kleenex, pens and notepads are not provided, not a real big deal but we missed having them.

The patio lights and hall lights stay on all night so there is no possibility of completely darkening the rooms.
The sliding glass doors were missing a safety pin on one side and could not be secured. My toddler was able to open the door very easily. The balconies are wrought iron with gaps large enough for a toddler to fall through.

It is not a five minute drive from anything except Ralph's and the Laundry across the street. It took us thirty minutes going down Gilbert Street to Ball Road to get to the Disney Parking Garage. There is a lot of traffic and several schools along the way. We had the same problem reaching other areas of Anaheim and different routes. It took thirty minutes and sometimes more to get anywhere.
The pool was warm and clean. It is small without shade and no hot tub. They will give you towels at the front desk for the pool.
We will not be staying here again. I liked the space but did not enjoy all the problems and safety hazards. They do not serve breakfast so we missed having that too. I recommend Homewood Suites or Hampton Suites in Garden Grove for families. Everything is much nicer there.

I have to say I did point out much of this to the manager one evening and he did not pay much attention to our concerns. He didn't seem to understand this is dangerous for young children and parents can not watch them every second. Perhaps he is not a parent? The maid service was inadequate at best. It is a non smoking hotel but I did observe RIck smoking and other quests smoking on the balconies.
Not the worst place we have ever stayed but it is possible to do much better in the DLR area.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2006

We, meaning 5 adults and 2 small children, stayed at the Hotel Pepper Tree over the Memorial Day weekend. There rates were excellent. Ithought for sure the rate would be extra high because of the holiday weekend. We stayed in a King/Queen sofa bed/Twin room. It was very clean and spacious for the kids to run around. I am a annual passholder at Disneyland and consider this a hidden treasure hotel that offers so much for the small price. The kitchen was awesome to have. Especially with a Ralph's accross the street. It only took us 5 minutes to get to Disneyland. Go to there website directly to book your stay its cheaper than the other supposedly cheaper sites.

Been to Hotel Pepper Tree? Share your experiences!