“Pleasantly Suprised!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 115 Hotels in Anaheim
Canoga Park
“Pleasantly Suprised!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Just stayed overnight. Saw good reviews and bad reviews on different travelsites. I figured I had a 50-50 shot. I don't rely on other peoples opinions. Thank goodness because for the price and size of the room I was pleasantly surprised. Every thing was clean and neat. Nice decor and furnishings. Clean bathroom(very important). All in all a great night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was a guest at this hotel. I stayed there for 4 days. The rooms are big and clean, my room was clean every day I got fresh towels everyday. Overall I have no complaints about this hotel I would gladly stay there again. Great hotel and great staff

• Stayed November 2012
Las Vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed here during a trip to Disneyland. The rooms are clean, but the table and chair in our balcony was falling apart. I really didn't have any complaints about it considering the price and location. Very average/mediocre stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Elk Grove
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have another review on here about this Hotel, and sadly have to warn that what was once a great spot to stay has since gone down in it's desirability for me to stay at. One thing after another seemed to go wrong with this place on this stay and after raving reviews by me previously, I would have thought this place would want to make sure to keep me happy. First thing, ice cube tray had a nasty smell. Took to front desk and was able to get a swapped out tray from another room. Hope they didn't put my tray in the freezer they got me one from. Night two of our stay is when we found the real issues. The microwave began to arc as I was popping popcorn. Scared me enough to cancel my popping. Went to set my alarm in the room to wake early for check out since check out is at 10:00 (unless you make arrangements), but wasn't an alarm clock to be found. Thought I would get a glass of water while eating late but only found a single glass in the room. Hmm.. Put leftover food and small quart of milk with a jug of water in refrigerator for overnight. Next morning woke to find out the refrigerator does not keep food cold even set at the WINTER setting which is the coldest. The once awesome breakfast for $3.00 a person no longer exist as the restaurant in front recently sold and currently is not doing business with Hotel Pepper Tree, plus during our stay the new owners contracted to have work done to the restaurant. Which also leads to lack of coordination between the Restaurant and the Hotel on a roof repair/replacement with tar that was being done right next to guest vehicles. The night before my wife and I parked our car in front and next morning there was yellow construction tape on both ends of the parking lot with "Do Not Enter". Um.. my car is in there and I was not notified that there would be work done. Found tar chips next to my rear passenger car door, possibly from the contractor removing the old tar roof and throwing over the edge possibly into a trailer or dump truck (don't know for sure as there was no vehicle there when I went to go to my car). Didn't notice any tar or where my car might have been hit, but would have liked to know in advance work was being done close to my car. There now also is a modest Resort Fee of $2.00 per night which now includes WiFi that once cost I think $5.00 so it is a bargain if you need WiFi, but most portable devices have built in Networks (Verizon, AT&T). Again, this is modest in comparison to other places in Anaheim. I truly hope this was just a one time bad visit and that they haven't started to let this place go down hill. It used to be a gem!! Oh, and other than the car issue the first night/day, I parked in the back parking lot and as always the vehicle was safe and not bothered. Also, they now are offering a Continental Breakfast. We missed it both mornings. I am hoping they can work something out with the new owners of the restaurant. Was a great deal and food was worth the cost. Like others have stated on here, what once was a great place to stay is now failing in grade. Happy New Year, 2013!!

Room Tip: Third floor above us sounded like they were moving furniture late into the evening. Rude individual...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark4464, Owner at Hotel Pepper Tree, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank You for reviewing our hotel. We have been carrying out many upgrades to the hotel over the past 6 mths and during upgrades to the restaurant we have had to provide a "free" breakfast in the hotel. We scheduled the work for our slowest month being January but as you experienced there is never a convenient time in this business. We are sorry for that inconvenience. With most guests having alarm functions in their phones we rarely have request for alarm clocks, Guests can request wake up calls from front desk. We are genuinely sorry that these issues compromised your stay and do hope to see you gain.
Santa Venetia, Ca, Us
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I really liked the Pepper Tree as a convenient location, near enough to Disneyland and always clean. Yes, it's a bit run down, but I can say that the people at the front desk have always been friendly, polite, helpful and personable. The beds have always been usable and the furnishings clean if a bit worn.

When we came for our most recent stay, we discovered that they are no longer doing breakfast with the restaurant next door. This was one of the biggest value-adds of the property for us and was a big disappointment.

We also found that they were now charging a $2/day "resort" fee for an "inclusive" continental breakfast and WiFi. A breakfast we were never up in time to eat, nor that had any of the decent protein that the old breakfast offered (I asked the desk staff what the breakfast included). And I believe the WiFi was free before.

To top that off, our room this time had holes in the curtains and a heater that didn't work (it was in the low '40s at night if you can believe it). At least the ever-helpful desk staff were able to get us a space heater!

The rooms are spacious and the kitchens are a boon. They have enthusiasm and helpfulness to spare. But the new changes are enough for us to consider going elsewhere next time, I'm afraid. We want to like the Pepper Tree, but it just doesn't seem to be what it used to be.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Mark4464, Owner at Hotel Pepper Tree, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. Our light continental breakfast will be served in the hotel while the restaurant undergoes some upgrades. WIFI service has been upgraded recently and is now free, as is breakfast. We traditionally charged for both services but in keeping with our value for money policy we now charge a flat $2 resort fee which is way cheaper for our guests. We are sorry if this was not explained properly to you and do hope to see you again.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We got in late since Disneyland closed at midnight. When I checked in I was quoted a different balance from my original bill. The rep was unable to explain the charges and just stated they were "new" resort fees being added as of the new year. When asked if what I just paid was the final price of our stay, which was more than what my balance was initially, he stated he didn't know and I would need to speak with the manager the following morning. Due to the holiday we had to book a smaller room the first night due to availability and a courtyard queen for the rest of our stay.
The next morning we told the same rep who helped us check in that we were leaving for the day and did we need to pack up all of our stuff since we would be in the courtyard queen for the week. He stated he would get all of our things moved and taken care of. We ended up packing all our things anyway to make it easier on the hotel staff and only left our food items in the fridge for them to transfer.
At 2pm we came back to the hotel and our room was not ready nor was our things moved. We waited 20 mins for them to get our room together. While we waited in the lobby we watched the maid bring down our milk and sodas to the new room downstairs. We obviously were not a priority on their list that day.
Once we got into the room we knew that it was recently masked with multiple sprays of some sort of air freshener to kill whatever smell that was in there to make us feel as if it was freshly cleaned. Not the case at ALL! My kids pull out the sofa bed and found tons of crumbs all over the bed with a pack of crayons. On top of that the brown blanket was badly matted and sticky as if it never been changed. Totally disgusted at this point, but already paid for the week so we just made the best of it.
The bathroom is tiny with a wall that was put up poorly to where it didn't line up. The grout was cracked and dirty with bugs crawling in and out of it. The toilet seat moved everytime you sat down. The tub was old and dirty. Nothing nice about the bathroom area. Bring slippers, you won't want to walk barefooted.
The kitchen was disgusting. Crumbs all over the counters and stove top. The microwave was mounted poorly on the wall. Any slight movements could have made the entire shelf collapse or cause the microwave to fall forward. I mean it's ok, if you like warming up your food in a slanted angle.
The beds were probably the best part of the room. Very comfy and the sheets felt cleaned. But beware of the spiders. We had to kill a couple of them that crawled on our beds. Huge brown ones the size of a quarter. And no, they didn't come from outside because we never opened up the sliding door to the patio.
Also, don't bother paying for wifi because it doesn't work if your in the rooms towards the end. We paid for wifi and wasn't even able to utilize it.
We won't be back, that's a guarantee! I'd rather pay rape prices at the better quality hotels. Don't let the reviews fool you!! Save your money and go else where!!
Room#114 and 212

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for reviewing our Hotel. We have followed up on your comments and do apologize for the inconvenience in changing your room. The Front Desk Agent concerned simply "dropped the ball" and has been reprimanded. We have also carried out a thorough deep clean on both rooms. Your comments about the room were quite disturbing to us as we usually receive very positive feedback on the cleanliness of our rooms and indeed our housekeeping department takes great pride in how they present the rooms. We do charge a $2 resort fee but no longer charge for WIFI or breakfast; this is a much better deal for our guests overall.
SIngapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Really value for money studio room with kitchennette with 2 queen sized beds, also a balcony! Ample space for my 1 year old to walk around while I cook. It is a 5-10 minutes drive to Disneyland. And the breakfast at the restaurant nearby is stocked up with more than enough. The staffs are friendly too. We arrived late at night and my husband had some problem with our rented car we just collected at the airport. The guy at the reception actually went to the car to help my husband work on it. They would also help you to print directions. I have recommended this hotel to my family and friends and they too had rave reviews. We will be there again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Pepper Tree? Share your experiences!