“An awesome dining experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Napa Rose at Grand Californian

Napa Rose at Grand Californian
1600 S Disneyland Dr, Anaheim, CA 92802 (Disneyland)
714 781-3463
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Disneyland
Description: This elegant award-winning restaurant offers an incomparable selection of wines and serves contemporary cuisine inspired by California's rich bounty of fine, fresh ingredients. Whether you celebrate a special occasion or take a break from a busy day at Disneyland Resort, you'll savor an exceptional dining experience.
Kaneohe, Hawaii, USA
“An awesome dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

While our stay at the Grand Californian was not the best the diner at Napa Rose was great. Our waiter was very good and very knowledgable about wine. I believe all the waiters here are some level of sommelier. The wine he chose was Lassiter. The creator of Pixar. Great wine. Great wine list and great food.

Houston, Texas
“Disney, West Coast Style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

My food was incredible, but the service was even better. I had a very late dinner here with coworkers, and we decided to split the Seven Sparkling Sins between 3 of us, and the staff was willing to accomodate without issue. That was the best thing on the menu; especially the scallop and the tuna tartar options! Then there were two options for the "sustainable fish of the day," which made me very happy. The wine pairing suggestion with my fish was on point, and my fish was divine. I only wish there had been room for dessert. Our server went above and beyond for us, even though we did not complete our dinner until nearly 11:00 pm. I highly recommend Napa Rose and will return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Lovely restaurant to escape the normal Disney dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We have a lovely dinner for Valentine's at Napa Rose. We left the kids with a babysitter in the hotel and enjoyed a nice escape from the normal Disney dining experience, which Napa Rose certainly provides. The service was excellent, the food was delicious, the wine pairings quite generous and well chosen, and the ambience allowed us to forget that we were in Disneyland for a couple hours. I would rate the restaurant higher except for two points. First, we booked our reservations 60 days in advance as we figured it would be a popular evening. We were not told at the time of booking that there would be a fixed menu for the evening, with a rather large $120/person fixed price. Captive audience with little choice other than eat from the regular menu at the bar we stayed and truly enjoyed ourselves. We did see a couple couples either leave or head to the bar, but not well handled by Disney/Napa Rose. Second, for being a west coast restaurant, its striking the lack of vegetarian options on the menu. Contrary to the experience some reviewers have had with poor "creative chef designed meals", my dates vegetarian meal was lovely and well prepared. But as with the rest of Disney, the restaurant does not have any focus on vegetarian dining and not sure why.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco
“Where to begin....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I went to Disneyland for a weekend with just a friend and left the kids at home. We decided to try Napa Rose because we didn't have our children with us to complain about the menu.

First of all I will defend the price. Although it's pricey, it's not out of hand considering you pay 5 dollars for a bottle of water at Disneyland. Considering you CANNOT EAT A MEAL ANYWHERE ON DISNEY PROPERTY without commenting on both the insane cost and the unbelievable mediocrity, I wasn't overly appalled by the prices (initially).

HOWEVER.

There was not ONE vegetarian entree. Obviously I wasn't looking for much, perhaps a pasta or risotto (Heaven Forbid they get any more exciting) but none was apparent. I did notice a few veggie side dishes and figured I would eat those, but before I ordered I asked the server if they had any vegetarian entree available.

Server: Well, we could make you a pasta dish [hmmm] or just vegetables [uh, sounds interesting] or IF YOU ARE FEELING AMBITIOUS WE CAN HAVE THE CHEF PREPARE SOMETHING. [that line is important, remember it later]

Me: well, that sounds interesting, let's have the chef prepare something. I don't eat meat or fish but I eat everything else. Any fruit. Any vegetable. Any cheese. Any egg. I am NOT on a diet. I LOVE rich food, and will eat any vegetable, seasoning combo known to man. PLEASE DON"T HOLD BACK.

(Now as an aside, it's certainly possible the chef has absolutely no desire to be creative for some vegetarian that has walked into the bowels of FINE DINING, DISNEY VERSION. That's fine with me and I'll order a salad. BUT DON'T OFFER SOMETHING CREATIVE IF YOU AREN'T CAPABLE OF IT.)

I await my meal and just guess what I get... JUST GUESS. PASTA WITH MARINARA SAUCE. What the heck??? I mean, I could have made better pasta using a 7-11 and a hotplate (I WISH I WAS KIDDING!) The pasta wasn't even made on the premises! It was dried, store-bought pasta straight from Barilla. The sauce was LITERALLY worse than a jar purchased at Trader Joe's. If I was making this dish for my 4 year old and I tasted this sauce I would have thrown some extra virgin and a bayleaf in that thing for about two hours before I dared feed it to him. Had I told the server to have the chef make me the dullest vegetarian meal he could think of, I would have expected something better.

The best part was the price. TWENTY EIGHT DOLLARS FOR A SERVING OF STORE BOUGHT PASTA, POORLY SEASONED TOMATO SAUCE MY ITALIAN GRANDMOTHER WOULDN'T FEED TO A DOG, AND TWO SAD SPEARS OF ASPARAGUS. UGH! SO frustrating!!!!!

I sent it back (OF COURSE) and ordered the two veggie side dishes. They were MUCH better (although still not as good as I could make in my own home and I am only a slightly above average cook). The kicker was they charged me for the 28 dollar pasta dish rather than the two side dishes (that totaled only 22.00)

So, all in all, a big disappointment. Their starter pizza was pretty nice (we had to order it without the meat because apparently, the sky falls down and the rivers run red with blood and pigs take to the air with wings if they actually serve food that doesn't have a piece of meat on it) and it kept me from starving. The markup on their wine is CARAZY! and the staff insists on opening your menu for you as if you are an alien being that's never been in a restaurant. Listen folks, how about I open MY OWN MENU like a big girl, and you guys stop charging 28 dollars for food from Olive Garden.

I debated giving this place 2 or 3 stars. I think if you are a meat eater, it's 3 stars and if you are a meat eater that doesn't live in a food mecca like I do, you'd probably give it 4 stars. But I am a vegetarian so I have to critique it on its ability to feed vegetarians and unfortunately I live in a food mecca where I could eat exactly the type of food they serve 7 days a week only it would cost less and taste better.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
phoenix, arizona
“Best restaurant on Disney property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Expensive but worth the money. Andrew Sutton is the chef and he had created a wonderful dining experience with this restaurant. Food is amazing and the service is perfect. Strongly recommend dinning here!

Visited February 2014