“Worst travel experience ever” 1 of 5 stars

Rodeway Inn Maingate
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1211 West Place, Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Ranked #105 of 114 Hotels in Anaheim
San Diego, CA
“Worst travel experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2005

Don't stay here, no matter how strapped you are for funds. Spend the extra $10-20 and stay elsewhere. We reserved this hotel on the internet and received a confirmation, which I printed and took with us. When we arrived at the hotel around 11:30pm, we were told they cannot honor our reservation because they were full, even though we had a confirmation. The manager would not even speak to us, but had the poor clerk out there late at night dealing with not only our anger, but another person's as well. He had checked in the night before only to return from Disneyland to find his room had been rented to someone else, with his belongings still in the room. The manager refused to speak to either of us. I had to call Choice Hotels and deal with their Customer Support Manager who found us a room in another one of their hotels (and much nicer) for the night. We had to pay about $40 more, but she assured us we would be refunded the entire amount of the stay. The customer support reps were very nice and helpful. The manager of Rodeway Inn at that time should not be allowed to be in a position that requires her to work with the public, or people at all for that matter. They could not have a worse person in management.

I have never had a worse experience with a hotel and unfortunately, this experience has caused me to question staying at any Choice hotel.

• Stayed May 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2005

My brother, mother and I flew to Anaheim for a quick weekend getaway. I chose this inn mainly b/c it was so close to Disneyland, which is where we wanted to go, and b/c it was just so cheap! The inn itself should receive one star. It is quite terrible and I can understand how others would be horrified. We had called a few days beforehand to make sure that they allowed late check-in, since we caught a red-eye flight and when we got to the inn, the office was closed. We had to bang on the doors and ring the doorbells for about ten minutes until a TEENAGER came out and gave us keys and checked us in.

I had read previous reviews of the rodeway and was prepared for the worst. I only saw one tiny bug crawling on the telephone which was not such a problem. It was a crappy hotel and bugs were expected. At least there weren't swarms of mosquitos breeding in a corner. The beds were all right, the bath tub looked like it had been recently cleaned and the vanity was clean. My family always brings along flip-flops when we stay at hotels b/c we don't trust the carpets at all - we have very sensitive skin.

We had no problem with noise - all was rather quiet. Housekeeping was daily. The "free continental breakfast" was just a bunch of nasty 99cent store donuts and coffee and water.

The really good thing about this hotel is that no, it does not offer free shuttle service. instead, it is located DIRECTLY NEXT to the parking structure that LEADS to the official Disneyland tram that takes you to the gates of Disneyland and the California Adventure Park. This was especially convenient. My brother and I were able to enter the park very very early and there were no lines to the rides. Later in the day, as the park got very crowded, we left to get some dinner. Thanks to Fastpass and the convenient tram that runs continuously, we were able to go back to the park after dinner and finish making our rounds of the park. We stayed until the park closed, allowing us to go on every ride we wanted, and some even twice.

I would probably not stay at this inn again if I wished to go back to Disneyland in the future. The Best Western across the street seemed a lot nicer and was just as close to Disneyland as the Rodeway. but if you're on a tight tight budget, then the Rodeway is for you, if you don't mind bugs and bad breakfast.

Also: there really aren't any restaurants or places to grab a bite to eat near the inn. However, after a five minute walk along the freeway, we found a place called "Spaghetti Station" which was right across the parking lot from the Four Points Sheraton Hotel. It looks very rundown and old but inside it is great! Wonderful western decor and the food is DELICIOUS, and not expensive at all! Great prices for great food! I definitely recommend this restaurant if you're staying at the Rodeway inn.

I hope this helps!

• Stayed April 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2005

The rooms where bad, I stayed April 9th with some friends and we had three rooms. There was at least one thing that didn't work in each room. The bathrooms weren't very clean, beds are the worst ive ever slept on. I got charged more for one room because it was "different" which I couldn't tell what the difference was but couldn't do anything about it. Even when I reserved the room in Feb. and they told me they where all the same rate at the time. I wouldn't stay again at this hotel, save your money and just get a better hotel.

• Stayed April 2005
Palm Springs, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2005

The room I reserved was not available upon arrival, yet they would not cancel my reservation. There were bugs in the bathroom & a huge spider by the bed. The TV remote control was broken. The hottub didn't work. Kids were playing soccer by my vehicle. Never again. I complained to management and to national office and they offered nothing but "sorry." Third world operation, indeed.

• Stayed January 2005
Logan, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2004

Filthy carpets in hallways, rooms somewhat better. We had to take the curtains off the windows and pin them lower, as there was a good 6-inch gap between the curtains and the windowsill on the bottom (and the window in the bathroom ends at about knee-height, so when you're "seated", you're onstage if you don't move the curtains). Saggy bed, smelly room, really smelly hallway. One bright spot - huge bathroom! Still, was smelly. Not worth saving just a couple of bucks.

Been to Rodeway Inn Maingate? Share your experiences!