“Comfortable ambiance, great service, mixed food.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ranch Restaurant & Saloon

The Ranch Restaurant & Saloon
1025 E Ball Rd, Anaheim, CA 92805-5957 (The Colony)
714-817-4200
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ranch Restaurant & Saloon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 764 Restaurants in Anaheim
Neighborhood: The Colony
Cross street: State College
Transit: OCTA Route 46, Route 47
Tustin, California
“Comfortable ambiance, great service, mixed food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

This was our second trip to The Ranch but this time we took the kids. Perfect atmosphere for the family. Casual enough to be comfortable in jeans but still upscale enough to work for a special occasion. They had a prix fixe meal that was a good value at $65 (four delicious courses - microscopic amuse bouche of melon soup <seriously, about a tablespoon>, raw ahi appetizer, seared fish next, steak entrée and a pistachio cake dessert). My son had the four pound rib eye. It was not as big as we thought it would be and was definitely not enough to feed two people (once you cut away the fat and bone). Well, maybe it would feed two normal people but not enough if one of the people is my fourteen year old. We all got the carpaccio which is reminiscent of the way An Qi used to serve their carpaccio (with mixed greens, mushrooms and truffles). Since their chef used to work at An Qi, I guess it makes sense. Anyway, it was delicious but a bit pricey at $18 pp. Their popovers were great but they only come with butter and jam. It would be so simple for them to do a savory compound butter and at $6, they should give you that choice. The chicken was just okay. The short rib was dry. The lobster mac and cheese had very little lobster. Jose was our server and he was great. He was friendly and efficient and went out of his way to find us another rib eye bone so our two dogs wouldn't fight over the one we got. We loved the chocolate twist dessert (again, very much like An Qi used to serve) and the sticky toffee pudding dessert. Dinner (without drinks) was $90 per person. A very pleasant evening overall.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Fountain Valley, California
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

We have dined here several times. The food is always delicious and the service is outstanding. Food is locally sourced.

Visited May 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not the best..but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

not the worst.. The atmosphere was very lovely. Nice restaurant. We ordered cocktails and they were delicious! The rolls they brought to the table were really not great. I tried 2 and they tasted like something I'd buy at Costco really. Couldn't find ONE appetizer that seemed appealing.. so I ordered a caesar salad... and it honestly has to be the worst salad I've ever tried. I just did not like it at all. Awful! Then I had the prime rib... and it was good. Not the best I've ever had, but not the worst. The potatoes were really dry I thought. My husband order the NY steak and it was delicious. Both cooked to the perfect temperature. For dessert, since it was our anniversary, we received the restaurant's version of the milky way.. and I just did not like it at all. I ate a bite of the chocolate by itself and just not very good. In conclusion, not the best steakhouse I've been to but not the worst either. Definitely not worth the price though.

Visited April 2014
Huntington Beach, California
“The best dinner and dancing in Anaheim”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Four of us went to The Ranch for dinner and dancing. We made reservations for a booth in the saloon, where we had cocktails, appetizers, dinner and dessert. Nadia, our server, was excellent. Since this was our first visit she helped plan out the entire evening for us.
We had cocktails and then our first dance lesson, followed by appetizers of ceviche trio (2 orders plus chips), the deviled eggs (my favorite) along with a second round of cocktails. We ordered dinner and wine to be delivered right after our second dance lesson. The timing was perfect.
The food was outstanding. Two of us had the pork chop which was the best pork chop we have had in years...very tender and juicy. The other two of us had the duck which was amazing...moist with crispy skin and the most flavorful lentils and root veggies. We had sticky toffee puddings for dessert which were delicious but not special.
As for the comments about the rules, owner and security. Yes, they are present and all over it. It made our experience comfortable and predictable. No standing around the isles or dance floor and no drinks on the dance floor. Security is everywhere and I loved it. I could leave my purse at our table while dancing and know that the entire saloon is monitored for contained behavior, or you are asked to leave. The owner came over and asked about our experience, especially the band and dancing.
This is not a casual I want to go out dancing place. The reserved table minimums are steep. But for a special evening of food drinks and dancing it can not be beat!

Visited March 2014
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
“Much, Much More than a Steakhouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We didn't go for the salon or line dancing next door, we heard the food was quite good. What we had heard turned out to be understated. The food, at least what I had was excellent. For appetizers we (a large group of people) shared the cerviche trilogy (very good), escargot (excellent), country fried quail and jumbo shrimp (both (good, but nothing special) and the roasted vegetables (very good). For my entree I had the best, most tender and perfectly cooked lamb chops I have ever had. They came with a mixture with pumpkin/Merguez sausage, Taggiasca olives, chickpeas and Harissa (a fiery Moroccan spice mixture). It was a superb complement to the lamb and one of the best meals I have had in a very long time.

• Visited March 2014