“Saved my SOUL!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Thuyen Vien Restaurant

Thuyen Vien Restaurant
1740 S Euclid St, Anaheim, CA 92802-2429 (The Colony)
714-490-0242
Neighborhood: The Colony
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Saved my SOUL!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

So, imagine you are attending a convention in Anaheim. You've either been sitting in musty meeting rooms, standing in the convention hall all day, or eating in your hotel or at some crappy chain restaurant for which there is no shortage in this Disney-centric city. I mean seriously, take a walk from the hotels and you won't find a shred of charm or a place to eat without a kiddie menu. Not exactly a food lover's paradise. Now, imagine you have a rare night to yourself and the last thing you want is to do is wear your business suit and eat near the convention center where you'll see tons of colleagues and customers.

I had such an evening in Anaheim tonight, and I found this little place online. For all the life that the convention and associated meetings sucked out of me, this place made right again. It's in a strip mall, and is no frills. Locals eat here, and the little seating area was pretty full. The owner is very friendly, and the service was prompt and efficient. I had these banana flower tacos to start and they were incredibly fresh tasting with shredded cabbage, cilantro, avocado and tomato. Then, the eggplant curry knocked my socks off. The creamy coconut broth was not at all heavy and it was filled with eggplant, firm tofu, potatoes, peas, and carrots. I requested "spicy", and told the server to make it a "7 out of 10". Perfect!

Getting away to this neighborhood gem was the best thing to happen all week! I enjoyed my tasty meal in solitude, not a single convention badge in sight. I skipped the ubiquitous chain steak place with all their $50 steaks and a la carte side dishes. Instead, I had a fresh, spicy dinner for...drumroll...$15! That's right...appetizer and dinner was less than 20 bucks. You must try this place, it's a real treat.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

100% Recommend
“Vegan/Vegetarian Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I am so happy that I made the effort to go to this wonderful restaurant. I had to take a cab round trip from the Double Tree Hotel where I am staying for a convention. Thanks to Trip Advisor, I found this excellent restaurant. The owner/ host was welcoming and most gracious. He made me feel at home. The restaurant was comfortable and clean. Now let's talk about the food. Deliciousness beyond comparison. I had the Pumpkin curry with brown rice, from the first bite to the last I was in food heaven, most delicious. Then I had a slice of vegan cheesecake with blue berries, yummy, creamy and delicious. The menu has a great selection to chose from, and the owner was most helpful in my selections. The portions are very generous and Filling. It was easy to have the case of my eyes being bigger than my stomach. :) I highly recommend this restaurant. I took home lunch for the next day, something different to try. And I am going to try to go there again before I leave the convention. A really must go place. I am in vegan heaven!!

Visited April 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent food, reasonable cost”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

While at Disneyland, about 2 miles from the Resort, is the best value meal in Anaheim! Healthy vegetarian food that doesn't taste vegetarian. Small and unpretentious location. Try the soup.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Beautiful fresh food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a lovely authentic little restaurant with simply stunning food and flavours and terrific service. Be aware though that it is vegetarian and does not serve alcohol. But seriously who cares. Stunning.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
“Vegan near Disneyland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had a very nice meal at Thuyen Vien. While it took some explaining to get to our need to eat Gluten Free, once it was clear, they were terrific. The food was delicious. We had some spring rolls that were tasty. They had a pumpkin curry that was delicious.

Visited December 2012