“Disneyland birthday trip” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Vista, California
“Disneyland birthday trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed for the first time at this hotel. I highly recommend this property. We had a very nice room complete with refrig./ micro and seating area. The beds and furniture were very comfortable, the art work in the halls and rooms where nice and quit surprising - as that is not something I notice in other hotels (many oils and not prints).. This hotel reminds us of a country inn.. The free parking/internet and cooked to order breakfast was great. Jose the chef was friendly and nice-This hotel is not far from disneyland but far enough away as to avoid the extra resort taxes one incurres closer to the park. Being close to honda center allows for another trip planned for up coming concerts..The hotel is decorated nice and was cozy and welcoming. Marcus the gen. manager responding to my emails and made sure our room preferences where honored. my only regret is that my Company doesn't have a corp. rate here..However disney pass holders do get a discount.. all in all wonderful stay and I'm sure another stay will be forth coming.. Cheers and jolly well done by the staff!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Turkish first
Barstow, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel because I was attending a concert right across the street at the Honda Center. Everything about this hotel is perfect! The decor, the cleanliness, helpfulness of the staff are by far the best. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The room was very modern...loved the light saving features!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Lagos, Nigeria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed ay Ayres with my family .In my opinion, it is an old hotel though the management seem to be trying to keep it as modern as possible it is overrated. It is nice yes but we will not be staying there again. Breakfast is not particularly fantastic but I do give it to the lovely ladies that worked their hearts churning it out. It is not close to Disney which was my primary reason for choosing it but the hotel does have a shuttle that can take one to and from the theme parks. Some of the staff were not particularly friendly,well, probably because we were black. I noticed the chinese lady especially (Mia) who was very abrupt and almost rude to me whenever I spoke to her at the front desk.( I find people not looking me in the eye when they address me rude) especially if you are in the hospitality industry.
Holidays are not cheap,and I believe if one takes out time to travel half round the world to get one,they should get treated well,it is not a permanent thing ,but would be nice if for the time they are in a particular hotel they are treated just as well as other guests are and are made to feel welcome,and feel at home while far away from home!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
AyresMgr, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Anaheim, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Osj3110,

I am sorry that you were not pleased with your experience staying with us. I would like to respond to your comments regarding the hotel. Our hotel was built in 2001, so we are aiming at a traditional style, rather than trying to modernize an old hotel. We have updated the rooms recently, bringing in new phones, alarm clocks, bedside and desk lamps, flat screen TVs, desk, desk chairs, dressers, fridges and microwaves as well as a massive upgrade on our wi-fi system. However we will continue to maintain a traditional style as so many of our customers enjoy this particular look.

As you can imagine I was horrified that you felt you were treated poorly due to the colour of your skin. I can assure you that this is the first time in my 6 years of management at the hotel that bigotry has been suggested. While Mai can sometimes be somewhat brief and businesslike when there is a lot of people waiting for her attention, I have never been given cause to believe that she is any way prejudiced and I am certainly sorry that you had that impression. I would be interested in discussing this with you. Please feel free to email the hotel with your contact details and a good time to call.

I am sorry that our hotel did not meet with your expectations and that you were not made to feel welcome. That is, of course, not our intention, and we are very disappointed to hear of your experience.

With best regards,

Marcus Collins
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Another wonderful trip to Anaheim, staying in our favourite hotel in the area. It has been a couple years since we were in town, and the same wonderful cook was serving breakfast in the morning, with the same happy personality and service for all the guests. It's a sign of good management when staff is retained!

Rooms were spacious, very clean, tidy, and very well afforded: microwave, fridge, coffeemaker, hairdryer. The front desk staff helped me find local stores I needed, and were helpful at any time of day or night. The cleaning crews were very friendly and cheery in the mornings.

The hotel is very well located off a main freeway, and is just a 5 minute drive to Disneyland. We had our own car, but they have a shuttle to Disney that a lot of guests used. We drove to Disney, and also took the freeway out to Long Beach for a day at the aquarium. Fantastic!

Thanks again to the Aryes Anaheim...we'll be back as soon as we can!

Room Tip: Rooms away from Katella Ave are quieter, but those right near Katella have a view of the Disneyland...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The hotel was great, very comfortable bed, nice bathroom, a good free breakfast and very helpful/friendly staff.

The only thing I would say that has no reflection on the hotel - Anaheim is miles away from most of the good tourist spots in LA. It's great for Disneyland/Orange County. But with LA traffic it is very difficult to get to Hollywood and many other LA spots. If you are planning on non Disneyland activities I would book closer to Hollywood as LA is a massive sprawling city and Anaheim is a long way away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My husband, teen and I recently stayed here for a few nights while visiting Disneyland. Our rooms were beautiful. The beds, linens and pillows all very comfortable. We had tons of room in our king room, it was almost like a suite with one area with a nice couch, table and chair then a partial wall with louvers that separated the sitting area from the wonderful king bed. My son had a room with two double beds. It was spacious but the area where we had a sitting area was taken up by the second bed.

The breakfast was very yummy and the hot dishes actually changed each day a bit which was nice. All days there were delicious pancakes fresh off a real grill. Yum! There was usually a wait for these. The bacon and sausages that were on different days were very tasty, seemed better quality than other type hotel breakfasts that have a buffet like this. The other parts of the breakfast -- donuts, muffins, bagels, cereal, yogurt and such were all great and the fresh fruit salad was a really nice touch. The coffee was even good!

The front desk was very helpful. They were able to give us a King room even though when we booked we could only get double rooms. They did that fast an efficiently. We also bought our bus tickets to Disney there -- $5/per person per day. We were shocked when we got on the 9:30am bus (the park only opened at 10am that day) and we were the ONLY people on the bus. Amazing. We thought it would be packed. It seems that lots of families just go ahead and drive to the park. I'd recommend the bus since you actually get dropped off closer and don't have to take the Disney tram from their parking lot plus you have to pay for parking so... The only glitch was that when we returned on the second to last bus of the evening at 10pm, our driver was told to hold until 10:30 and be the last bus. VERY annoying but we made friends with the cute families with small children who were on the bus. There were only 3 families on that bus.

You can buy your Disney online tickets right in the lobby of the hotel. There's a printer set up next to the computer to make it very easy.

We did go in the nice jacuzzi. Very warm. Towels easily available. Pool is small but fine.
Exercise room has just a few machines in it but they were in good shape, current like eliptical and treadmill with a few other weight machines.

Overall, I wish we could have stayed longer. I really feel this was a nice step above hotels that include breakfast in their rates. The location is right by a bunch of freeways and only a 15 min. bus ride but the quality is what would bring me back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of the hotel that doesn't have construction going on. We didn't...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

We were so excited to stay at this hotel because of the glowing reviews and their rating as #1 here on Trip Advisor, and we were not disappointed even in the slightest! From the moment we walked in to check in, we were reassured that we had made the right choice!! Linda was extremely friendly and accommodating and answered all of our questions. Oh, I can't forget to mention the platter of delicious freshly baked chocolate chip cookies that were available to us upon check-in! When we walked into our room, we were ecstatic! It was elegantly decorated...it was very warm and welcoming! Our kids started calling the hotel "home" right away! We were at the hotel for 3 days/2nights to celebrate our son's ninth birthday, and everyone at the hotel made him and our daughter feel so special! The second day we were there was our sin's birthday, and Chef Jose (who truly is as wonderful and nice as all the other reviews say) took the time to surprise our kids with Mickey Mouse pancakes, even though he was very busy! We so appreciated that!! When we returned to the hotel later in the evening after Disneyland, Linda surprised our kids by giving them Ayres teddy bears, which was so sweet! We will definitely be returning to this hotel next time we go to Disneyland...which reminds me, they offer 20% to Disneyland Annual Passport holders! All in all, it was the best hotel stay we have ever had!

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Ayres Hotel Anaheim? Share your experiences!