“Nice Hotel, Poor Restaurant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Anaheim (1 BLK/Disneyland)

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Anaheim (1 BLK/Disneyland) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Anaheim (1 BLK/Disneyland)
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1240 South Walnut, one block from Disneyland, Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #30 of 112 hotels in Anaheim
beautiful bc
“Nice Hotel, Poor Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed here for a week, booked through one of those 'blind' booking sites to save some money during the busy holiday season. The room was comfortable, and we ended up with a 2 Queen bed room, which was perfect for us. The room was right near the elevator, which I was initially concerned about, but the elevator was surprisingly quiet, so it wasn't an issue. The front desk staff were very courteous and helpful as well.
There is not much around the hotel, just a convencience store at the gas station around the corner, so dining options are limited to the hotel restaurant unless you want to walk to Downtown Disney.
We ended up eating 3 times at the restaurant, due to timing and circumstance. The first time was bad, I ordered the T-bone steak and when it came, the server asked if I wanted A-1 sauce. If they are offering sauce before you have taken a bite, you know it's going to be bad. And it was. Bland, overdone, no flavor at all. My wife's Blackened salmon was seasoned to death. We weren't going to eat there again, but then were stuck in the hotel during a rainstorm so we went and got breakfast there - surprise, surprise, it was really good! In hindsight, I guess it's pretty hard to mess up pancakes. So we thought, ok maybe it's just a one-off. Well, got breakfast there on the day we checked out and it was Horrible. With a capital H. I ordered a California omelette and it was over-cooked eggs with a couple pieces of bacon thrown in then folded over with unmelted cheese inside. Avocado was on the side and was more brown than green. Hashbrowns were charred on top, and cold in the middle. I sent it back. I mean, I'm not expecting 5-star dining, but if I sit down at a restaurant I expect it to be a good meal, this felt like someone couldn't even be bothered to try.
So - nice location even though it's a bit of a walk to Disney, just avoid the restaurant if you can.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tom V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Anaheim (1 BLK/Disneyland), responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you very much for letting us know about your experience at our hotel. I do apologize for the inconsistencies in our food and I assure you I have addressed these with our kitchen staff. We will do everything we can to ensure this is fixed and we deliver quality food every time.

Thank you for staying with us and we do hope to see you again.

Tom Van Winkle

733 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Location is OK, close enough to Disney within 15 minutes walk so will save you parking at Disney (which is btw located right next to the hotel). It's also close to I-5 and to many resaurants and businesses (car rentals etc.) on Katela and Harbor.

The staff was friendly and helpful but I didn't like a few things:
* the rooms are way too small
* there's a coffee machine in the room, but no fridge or microwave. You can order them (based on availability) and pay and extra $10 per appliance per night (way overpriced!)
* the building looks old. Elevators are slow and old.
* breakfast is not included (as in many HI hotels)
* wifi signal in my room was very weak
* parking is not included in the room rate. It was $10 a night for me. In my opinion, you do need a car even if you just plan to go to Disney. Not everything is within walking distance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I do want to let you know we will be improving our hotel very soon. New furniture and fixtures in the guest rooms and a complete remodeling of our exterior should be completed in the next 2 months. We will also be adding a great splash park for the kids this spring. We do hope to see you again soon and have you experience our new and improved look!

Best regards,

Tom Van Winkle
Sutton Coldfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed here for a total of 8 nights and I totally loved it. This hotel has everything you would need. The parking got quite busy on an evening when everybody was back from the theme parks but I was always able to find a space. We had a larger family room as I was travelling in a group of three adults. We had a queen sized bed each and I sleeper sofa which was great with some extra blankets underneath for padding. The room was huge with a small kitchen which came in useful. Bathroom was large with a powerful shower which didn't steam up. Our view wasnt the greatest but this hotel is in a residential area so its what I expected. The view was of the Disneyland carpark which you actaully have to drive too as the etrance is so far and its a busy road so its safer to drive. We used the laundry facilities which all worked fine, but you can't use them after 9pm unless you have two people who can keep the door open if you have to leave. The shop downstairs sold everything you would need including Disney goods.
I would stay here again for sure. A gas station is opposite and all of the restaurants are a 5 minute drive round the other side of Disneyland. Disney Village is just around the corner which offered free parking for 3 hours so that was good for evenings.
We didn't use any of the eating areas so I couldn't comment but they looked clean from outside.

Room Tip: Book a family room so you can spread out. Worth the extra money.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This hotel was a big disappointment. We booked it because of the price and it's claim to be one block (walking distance) from Disneyland. If that was one block, it was the longest block I have ever walked in my life. We were a group of 4 adults- no kids and no health restrictions that would make the walk difficult. We did the walk one day only and then ended up paying for the shuttle bus the rest of the days. I have stayed at the hotels across from the "main gate" before and, to me, that is one block. This walk back to the hotel was not something we ended up wanting to do after a long day of walking around the parks. Also, the street you have to walk down seemed a bit unsafe at night. There were not a lot of people walking in that area and the lighting was dim. As for the room itself, the biggest negative was the noise/thin walls. Neither my husband nor I fell asleep until about 3AM two out of the three nights because of the constant noise from kids running around above us (until 2am) and the noise from showers running. My husband even recorded the noise the neighboring shower was making because it seemed excessively loud. The cleanliness did not seem to be the best either- one day we came back into our room and our clean towels, which appeared to have been stacked on the closed toilet lid, had fallen off the toilet onto the floor next to it. The rooms are older and outdated- especially the bathroom area. One other minor thing to note- the hotel does not have standard sized pillows. The pillows are tiny, square pillows that seem more like they belong on a couch. They were not comfortable (big enough) for any of us and the hotel did not even have regular ones available upon request. The hotel restaurant was pretty good and there is a gas station mini mart around the corner for snack items and drinks at cheaper prices than the gift shop. All in all, this is not a horrible hotel if you are looking for a decent price, but it was not as nice as the website made it out to be. I would not stay there again due to the location and the problems with the room itself.

Room Tip: Our friends were in a suite and we were in a standard room- it appeared that the suite was more mode...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Anaheim (1 BLK/Disneyland), responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Kelly J,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am so glad you liked our on-site hotel restaurant. I would like to apologize the location of our hotel did not live up to your expectations. I am also sorry for the issues you had with the noise and your room accommodations. I understand the discomfort this has caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us another chance in the future to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Porterville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stayed 2 nights with grand daughters at Christmas.
Pros:
fair value for the area.
20 minute walk to Disneyland
restaurant on site.
breakfast buffet was very good.and fairly priced
Kids eat free with adults
Cons:
rooms are small
bathroom/shower is tiny
older hotel in need of a makeover, some lifting of wall paper, dirty seams around tub, etc.
some park noise late at night
$10/day parking fee

all in all this is a really fair deal if you're going to disneyland. Clean, reliable, and the staff is helpful. Reccommended

Winkie100
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

We took our 3 kids for New Years at Disneyland. My husband found this hotel and its amazing deal. We walked to Disney every day and enjoyed the clean, quite and wonderful staff! We will be come back again!

• Stayed January 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

This was our first stop in the USA & what a lovely group of people who work at this hotel. "All" of the staff - front desk, restaurant etc were so accommodating, lovely & friendly. The food was great & very reasonably priced! The hotel itself was a bit aged but very clean & had all amenities we needed for a great stay in Disneyland. This hotel staff set a very high bench mark for the rest of our stay in the USA. We would definitely recommend for any family to stay here.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Anaheim (1 BLK/Disneyland)? Share your experiences!