“Close to Disneyland” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Candy Cane Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Candy Cane Inn
You added Candy Cane Inn to your Saves list
1747 South Harbor Blvd., Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Ranked #3 of 115 Hotels in Anaheim
“Close to Disneyland”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2004

We spent three nights here and really appreciated the shuttle to and from Disney, which was extremely dependable. The outside areas were nice and well kept. The pool was small but never seemed over crowded. The pool area was also nice. The breakfast was basic - breads, cereals, bagels, muffins, juices and coffee, etc. Because of outside entry, there was a noise factor but nothing untolerable. Mostly people coming and going from Disney. Our biggest complaint was the old, odd smell in the room. It was seemingly clean, but had a musty, old smell. Our shower had good pressure, but went from cold to hot - back and forth throughout the entire shower, every shower. At least the temperature changes were quick spurts so not too much discomfort. We had a deluxe room and was sufficient for the three of us. The hotel is an older one and though a good attempt has been made to update, the rooms still look old. Not bad for the price, and the shuttle is excellent. Also we booked with an AARP rate and were told when booking we would not receive the rate when checking in unless we presented our AARP card. I noticed in an earlier post someone else had a problem regarding the discounted rates. They do require presentation of the card.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2004

We (Mom, Sister 9 and Me 15) loved the place! We had a premium room in the back of the hotel. (144) We were there from July 12-18th.

Right away when we got there I knew I had made a good choice. We checked in, purchased Disney and Universal tickets all from the front desk. They even had candy canes on the shelf! How cute!

The room was great. Very spacious for the 3 of us. The bath was separate from the sink area which was a major plus as 3 girls do not share bathrooms very well. The whole place was very clean. The room was stocked with water, coffee, tea, and chocolate biscottis which my mom especially enjoyed. Everyday housekeeping would restock all of the goods.

The breakfast in a basket was so yummy. I wish they would have come back with us. Every morning we asked that it be delivered between 7:15 and 7:30 and every morning it was. The house keeping staff was very nice and you could tell they really took their time.

Noise was basically just the bus going by on it's late trips to the parks when they were open til midnight. The shuttle service was wonderful although we walked a lot. At night it would get crowded but the driver would make an extra trip to make sure everyone was picked up.

The pool was a bit small but I only went in it once. It was very warm too. I'm used to our pool being 90 and I'd say this one was in the mid 80s. Very nice! The spa was great too. Always nice to relax those tired feet. The gardening was spectacular.

We couldn't have asked for any more. Our cousins even transferred from the Stovall Inn to Candy Cane because they liked it so much! If you're going to Anaheim be sure to stay at the Candy Cane Inn! And get a premium room! :)

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2004

Lush beautiful grounds and a nice pool area are the first thing you notice. The staff was helpful, the rooms were clean and quiet. The breakfast was well stocked and delicious. The shuttle drivers were prompt and very friendly. You can't beat the price. Go there and have a great vacation...we did!

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2004

We enjoyed our 3 night stay at the Candy Cane Inn last week.

We are a family of 5 (kids are 1, almost 3 and 10 years old). We booked a premium room and had ample room for all of us, 2 small strollers and a port-a-crib without feeling cramped.

Our room had 2 Queen size beds that were oh, so comfy! A fridge, microwave, hairdryer, iron and ironing board, vcr, coffee maker (with grinder, coffee and cookies). Not a lot of drawer space, but we got by.

Our room was located on the ground floor, was very clean with no signs of wear and tear aside from a few cracked tiles in the bathroom. There was a bit of an 'old' smell at first, but the motel (and it is a motel, parking outside your door) was built a long time ago, so I expected that. We had no problem with mold, dirty carpets or anything else. I had no qualms about letting my kids sit and play on the carpet.

We didn't hear any noise from the parking lot or other rooms. We could see most of the DL fireworks show from the upper walkway that faces the park.

The grounds of the motel are very well kept, pretty flowers, ivy and plants abound. The gardners were everywhere and not once was a blower going--they use water and brooms to keep everything clean. It is truly well cared for.

The main pool is not a large pool, but, again, it is a small motel, and it is attractive and in great condition, as is the hot tub and seperate, gated toddler pool. (main pool is heated, toddler pool is not). The chairs are all in great shape, and plenty of towels were available.

Breakfast was delivered to our room in a basket-same offerings at the pool-cereal, milk, small muffins, bagels, fruit, coffee, tea and milk. It wasn't a huge meal, but enough to get us going until lunchtime. Bagels with cream cheese much better than the muffins.

Our premium room also had turndown service--it was nice to have fresh towels to return to.

The staff was very polite and helpful. The shuttle is great, and had no problems with any of the drivers leaving at the wrong time. I think one of the BEST things about staying at the Candy Cane is the fact the hotel operates the shuttle, so you only go to/from the parks--no stops at other hotels. That is priceless at the end of a long day. The walk into the Disneyland Resort area was an easy 5 minutes or so.

We booked a AAA rate ($119), and had no problem because we had our AAA card. I have always had to show my AAA card for the rate to be honored, otherwise a non-member could book the rate, so what is the point of discount just for members? I don't see a hotel that enforces policy as a bad.

In summary, we'd stay there again. Keep in mind it is a motel, not a full service resort. But it is a beautiful, friendly and well cared for motel. Compared to the other motels in the area, the Candy Cane is 'Ears and Tails' above the rest.

I'd absoultly reccommend someone to stay there.

Portland, OR
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2004

This hotel was NOT what was advertised. First, they did not honor our AAA rate because we didn't bring our card (we were not instructed to). The staff was unimpressive. The grounds were bland. The tiny "pool" was full when only a few people were inside. I felt like I was in a Motel 8. While you were in your room, you could hear cars pull into their parking space (because the rooms were in the parking area). The rooms were horribly insulated. I heard my upstairs neighbors walking, running, showering, talking,etc. I phoned the front front desk to request that the child upstairs stop running back and forth (he had done this till 12:00 a.m. and started back up at 7:00 a.m.). They put me on hold for 10 minutes (I finally hung up) and they never phoned me back or made the kid stop running. The room was small (Premier Room). There was only 1 window facing the parking lot. The "queen" beds were actually doubles. There was mold all over the shower area. Smelled like smoke in the closet (I guess from next door) although we were in a non-smoking room. Several guests on our shuttle complained about weird smells in their rooms (pee and carpet cleaning product for a large wet stain). But worst of all, the beds were SO uncomfortable. My husband and I had backaches our entire stay. I cannot believe that this hotel calls itself a "boutique hotel". I have stayed at many boutique hotels, and this hotel is not in that category (more in the Motel 8 caliber). I travel all the time (for business and pleasure) and have not stayed at such a horrible hotel in recent memory. BEWARE!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2004

Stayed from june 22-26. Our flight arrived early and we were able to check in early and get a few more hours sleep. At the time I was six months pregnant traveling with my teeanage girls. Had a premium room which solves the breakfast problems others were talking about because it is delivered to your room. Nice clean laundry. My husband flew over on 26th and was able to go to the park with our girls for a half day.The 10 minutes walk to the park is great. Check out was at two and that was great. Will come again.

Phoenix,AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2004

Just returned from a 5 night stay .
Great place to stay in. very clean, beautifull property.Recomending it to everyone.