“Disney land visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Candy Cane Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Candy Cane Inn
You added Candy Cane Inn to your Saves list
1747 South Harbor Blvd., Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Ranked #3 of 114 Hotels in Anaheim
Boise, Idaho
“Disney land visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I really don't have a lot to review about the candy cane since we did not spend any time there, we just slept there. The rooms were clean and the staff was helpful. The breakfast, not great but it got us on our way. On the night we stayed there the bus driver for the shuttle was sick so a van picked us up so it took a long time. Normally it would be no big deal but it was very cold that night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jeff H, General Manager at Candy Cane Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and I am sorry if you waited for the shuttle a long time. We had the van running continually to and from the Resort throughout the evening. In regards to our breakfast, in the past week have added Hard Boiled Eggs and upgraded our Donuts and Pastries and are adding a healthier granola cereal option in the next couple days. Kind regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed at the Candy Cane April 22-27 with my 3 children (5,6,8) and my mother. Overall we were very happy with our stay.

ROOM
The room itself was mostly unremarkable. It contained 2 queen beds; an armoire with a TV, safe, and some drawers for storage; a bedside table with a few storage drawers; a small round table with 2 padded chairs; a sink area with a coffee maker and a small fridge; and a bathroom with toilet and tub. The windows are covered with plantation-style shutters rather than drapes, which I found to have a cleaner, brighter look and feel than curtains usually do. The coffee maker was located on the counter mysteriously out of reach of any electrical outlet, which resulted in us having to move it to the narrow strip of counter between the wall and sink to use it - not a terrible inconvenience but of course you always worry when moving items that are not yours that you will drop, break, or damage them. My main complaint about the room was that there was no dim light we could leave on as a "night-light" in case any of the kids awoke and were disoriented in the dark. The first night I left on the light over the sink/coffee/fridge area, but it was terribly bright and i ended up sleeping with a pillow over my eyes. The next few nights I left on the bathroom light, but the fan runs concurrently with the light and it is rather loud. So unfortunately my sleep quality was not the best during our 5 nights. Additionally, the bed, while comfortable, seemed to magnify every movement of the other occupant - every time she stretched her toes or scratched her nose, the motion transferred over to me. Having said that, I sleep on a Tempurpedic memory foam mattress at home, so I am entirely unused to feeling any movement from the other side of the bed at all. The bathtub faucet was very stiff - my 8-year old couldn't change the flow from tub to shower by himself because he wasn't strong enough. I'm not sure that this would be outside of normal range for faucets though, it was just slightly annoying to interrupt whatever i was doing for myself or the other 2 kids every morning (mornings are alway hectic, and doubly so when you are trying to get 3 kids up, dressed, down to breakfast, and on the shuttle for the opening of Disney Parks).
We were hardly in the room - let's face it, people don't book a hotel 2 blocks from Disney Parks to hang out in their hotel room. It was clean and served our purpose so ROOM RATING: 4 out of 5.

HOTEL APPEARANCE/COMMON SPACES
The outward appearance is lovely and inviting. Bougainvillea and hanging baskets of flowers are everywhere. They clearly place a lot of time and importance on making the place look pretty and welcoming. The pool area is clean with lots of flowers. There are many tables with seating located along the upper walkways to the rooms where you can eat your breakfast or just sit and relax. APPEARANCE RATING: 5 out of 5

BREAKFAST
Breakfast is served 6:30-9:30 in a rather small room immediately behind the reception desk. The staff put a large number of tables outside around the pool every morning so that guests can be accommodated for eating. We never had a problem finding a table, but it was always busy. They give you a tray in your room for taking food back or to one of the aforementioned tables, so the crowds spread out well. Breakfast items included: milk, juice, coffee, instant oatmeal, fruit (bananas, apples, oranges), bread (white and whole wheat), bagels (plain, whole wheat, blueberry and i think sesame(?)), spreads (cream cheese, strawberry cream cheese, peanut butter, butter, grape jelly, strawberry jam, boysenberry jam), muffins (bran and some other ones i didn't look at closely), doughnuts (didn't look at them so i'm not sure what was offered), yogurt (raspberry and strawberry), and cereal (rice krispies, raisin bran, fruit loops - or generic versions thereof). For anyone looking for protein, peanut butter and cream cheese were the only sources. It didn't bother us, but I know some people were lamenting the lack of protein. The 4-slice toaster on the left of the bread/bagel/doughnut buffet is incredibly slow. Like, put-your-toast-in-and-get-your-coffee-and-fruit-and-yogurt-and-take-it-back-to-your-table-and-then-come-back-and-see-if-it's-any-darker-yet kind of slow. The 2 conveyer belt-style toasters on the right side are much faster and also produce a greater capacity of toasted items since you can put the next one in only 5-10 seconds after the first. So if nobody was waiting i could put 2 bagels in each toaster one after the other and toast 4 bagels for myself and kids simultaneously in less time than my mom spent toasting 2 slices of bread for herself in the other toaster. BREAKFAST 4/5

LOCATION/CONVENIENCE TO DISNEY PARKS/SHUTTLE
It's a 10-15 minute walk from Disney Parks. My kids walk farther to their elementary school. The shuttle is great, and with all the walking during the day in the parks we saved our energy and took the shuttle there every time and back 3 out of 5 times. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance. One day we tried the pizza place across the street on the corner (end unit of the strip mall with a chinese place and burger place as well) and it was really good and fairly inexpensive. The shuttle always ran on time and the drivers always stopped for anyone who came running up to it as it slowly circled the parking lot on the way out. LOCATION/CONVENIENCE/SHUTTLE 5/5

STAFF
I had few interactions with staff, but they seemed helpful when I did speak to them. When my mother lost her key and worried that she had just left it in the door when we got in the previous night, they had our room locks re-keyed within 5 minutes. My mother asked them for recommendations about transport to the airport, and they recommended a company (Hugo's? i think it was?) that was prompt and helpful with all of our bags, and also saved us money over a shuttle like PrimeTime or SuperShuttle. On our last day, we checked out in the morning and headed into the Parks for a last 5 or so hours, and they stowed our luggage for us in their secure room with baggage tags and everything (we had previously asked about this, so if you want to do the same you should probably tell them in order to ensure that there is room in the lockup). My mother did say something to the effect of "well she was more helpful than the guy i spoke to last night", so i guess she had one interaction with a staff member that was slightly less positive, but I didn't ask for further details so i can't really say what that might have been about. STAFF: 4.5/5

OVERALL STAY: 4.5/5
Thanks Candy Cane Inn. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back are quieter since they are away from the street, but farther to walk back to...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so very much for allowing us the opportunity and sharing your wonderful feedback with fellow travelers. As I noted in another review today, we have recently added Hard Boiled Eggs and will be adding a healthier Granola cereal in the next few days. We are also investigating and will be evaluating adding cheese to increase the protein options. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and staying with us. Kind regards!
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed here one night on our trip to Disneyland. The room was nice and clean, however the location was not the best. The rooms #200, 201, 202 on our floor face a busy street. It can be quite loud at night. There are nice wooden shades, however they do not block out all of the light coming from the street. The parking lot is small. Since we were only staying one night and with such a small lot, we were unable to use the free shuttle and leave our car parked there. Had we stayed more nights, we could have used the shuttle. The hotel is an easy walk to Disneyland. They staff are very nice. There is a free continental breakfast which included bread, bagels, muffins, doughuts, yogurt and hard boiled eggs. If we had it to do over again, we may try a different hotel.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room facing Harbor Street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and I am sorry that your room was loud and not to your liking. We receive many requests for the rooms in the front and please feel free to contact the front desk and we will certainly do our best to move you if possible. Kind regards.
Kaysville, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This is a great affordable place to stay for a trip to Disneyland. The rooms are a little small for a family of 5 but overall worth it to not have to reserve 2 rooms. Free parking and a great free continental breakfast. Quick walk to Disney, or take the shuttle. It is close enough to take a 2-3 hour rest in the heat of the day then walk back to Disneyland when it gets dark. We plan to stay there every time we visit Disneyland.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your comments and please feel free to contact me personally when returning as it would be my pleasure to assist with rates and reservations. Kind regards!
Reedley, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We really enjoyed staying 3 nights here. We had three rooms on the bottom floor. Enjoyed having free breakfast before heading into the parks. Their private shuttle is nice, or you can easily walk to Disneyland. It's a bit pricey compared to some other options, but the overall value is good. The grounds are beautifully kept, which makes for nice surroundings. The back of the property butts up against cars land, but there's minimal sound.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments with fellow travelers. Yes, when you take into consideration that our rate includes Complimentary Parking, Exclusive Shuttle to and from the theme parks, Expanded Continental Breakfast and WiFi the price value is certainly good. Kind regards!
Twin Falls, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

I will always stay at this hotel until the day I die. I love it!!!:D my family and i have been staying at this hotel my whole life as we've come on our Disneyland family adventures! :) very comfy and you get a sweet breakfast every morning by the crystal clear pool. :). They have a very convenient bus transportation that the hotel provides free for hotel guests that goes back and forth from the Disney parks :). This is the place to stay but be sure to get your reservation plenty early because they are always booked. :)

• Stayed December 2012
We certainly appreciate your loyalty to the Candy Cane Inn and being a member of the family! Please feel free to contact me personally when returning as I would be delighted to assist with rates and reservations. Kind regards!
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at the Candy Cane Inn April 22-24. Angel checked us in and was able to make special arrangements for us on the spot at check in. We very much appreciated his help.

The CCI is located right next to Disneyland. We were able to stroll to and from the park easily and quickly (about 5 minutes door-to-door). The CCI runs free shuttles from the park entrance to the inn throughout the day and evening, but the weather was nice, so we opted to walk.

A big benefit of the CCI's location is the mini-mart next door. The mini-mart made it easy to purchase low-cost groceries so we could save money on snacks and sundries (it also has wine and liquor, though we did not indulge). We were able to buy inexpensive t-shirts and gifts at the mini-mart next door and at the souvenir shop across the street.

The CCI is clearly designed to be a motel, but it has such beautiful landscaping, you don't notice the original design. Our room was on the ground floor (one of our special requests) under the stairway. I was worried that the room location would mean the room would be dark or loud. Neither was true. The room was very nice--with very comfortable queen-size beds (including the roll-away bed), a large TV, and a small fridge. I am fussy about clean sheets and clean bathrooms and floors and I can say with certainty that the room was well cleaned.

The pool is small, but it is lovely. It is surrounded by beautiful plants.

The free breakfast is a nice plus--especially considering the excellent room rates. My friends and I enjoyed fresh fruit (bananas, apples, and oranges), yogurt, bagels, toast, and cereal each morning.

While we did not end up using the laundry facilities, the fact that a laundry is provided on property was one reason we selected the CCI.

I want to address a comment I read in another review. Someone posted that he/she did not like the elderly gentleman who works the morning shift. I, for one, am glad that the CCI values the contributions of an older, dedicated employee. That gentleman shared some interesting facts about the history of Disneyland and of the CCI and I appreciated the conversation I had with him. He knows a lot about the park and appears to be a productive member of the staff. (Note: I am not unbiased regarding this issue. I am the mother of a young man with an intellectual disability and I frequently advocate for the employment of individuals with disabilities.)

I plan to bring my whole family for a visit to Disneyland. When I do, we will stay at the Candy Cane Inn due to its prime location, its reasonable (great!) rates, its lovely grounds, and its obvious appreciation of ALL people.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your comments and please feel free to contact me personally when planning your family visit as it would by my pleasure to assist with rates and reservations. In regards to Angel and Edd, they are awesome members of our team and yes, Eddie has been around for so many years and folks just adore him. His knowledge is wonderful and he has seen many changes over the past many years. Kind regards!

Been to Candy Cane Inn? Share your experiences!