“We will be back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Candy Cane Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Candy Cane Inn
1747 South Harbor Blvd., Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Ranked #3 of 111 hotels in Anaheim
Goodyear, Arizona
“We will be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This was our first stay at Candy Cane Inn and really liked the motel. We were there April 13-15th. The landscaping is pretty, room was clean and quiet, and it was nice to have a laundry room to wash some clothes. Our room was upstairs in the middle and was very quiet and clean. The beds were probably one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in at a hotel. In the room there is a small refrigerator, coffee maker, TV, and ironing board and iron. We utilized the continental breakfast every morning. The laundry room is in the middle downstairs on the north side. Check-out was fast and friendly. They let us sit around the pool after check-out to wait for our laundry to finish. The pool area is pretty. There is a hot tub and small children's wading pool also. The pool closes at 11 pm. The shuttle bus leaves every hour and half hour. It drives around the U-shaped driveway through the hotel. I noticed the driver would stop to pick up or drop off people along the way. I'm not sure if they always do that or he was just being nice. Excellent location. Don't even have to cross a street if you walk to Disneyland. A mini mart is next door if you need anything the hotel mini-mart doesn't have.

Cons- check-in was a downer for us also, like a previous poster stated. He barely looked up, didn't smile, and was very cut and dry, didn't offer any information. Not a good first impression after I kept reading how friendly the staff is. The small coffee maker in our room was missing the pull out tray to put the coffee grounds pod in. I didn't notice it until the last morning though and forgot to tell them at check-out. There was a mis-communication about the last shuttle bus of the evening. The night before the last shuttle was at 11:45pm and I assumed it would be the same since Disneyland closed at 8 pm just as the night before. We had a quick dinner at Downtown Disney and waited and waited for the shuttle bus. The attendant at the end of the hotel shuttle parking said it would be there in 10 minutes (at 9:30) and it never showed. Luckily for us it is a short walk back. No elevators, stairs only.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jeff H, General Manager at Candy Cane Inn, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for staying with and while I thank you for your many kind comments I have spoken with our Front Office team about your experience. In regards to our coffee maker, they are a one cup unit and there is no tray to pull out and you simply open the coffee packet and attach to the unit add water and it brews. I am very sorry for any misinformation that you were provided by the attendant at the park as our shuttle leaves on the 15 and 45 of each hour with the last run 45 minutes after the park closes. Kind regards!

2,058 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Roseville, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed one night at the Candy Cane Inn. It was the last week in March, during Spring Break, but I am only getting around to writing a review now. I have used Tripadvisor several times for my other vacations, and I study customer reviews carefully. I was intrigued and impressed by CCI because of all the wonderful reviews, repeat customers, and raves about the service, not to mention the very affordable rates. I decided to give it a try. Our family of three drove down from Northern California and planned to stay one night, and and go to California Adventure the next day. I had to change our original reservation from two nights to one because I had developed plantar faciitis in my heel, and would not be able to do both parks, so we decided to do just the one. We arrived in the evening so the lobby/check in area was not too busy. The man behind the counter was pleasant, but did not make eye contact. He wasn't unfriendly, he just sort of went through the motions. They made a mistake with our reservation and thought we were staying for three nights, but they corrected that as I had brought the print-out of the confirmation email they had sent me. We were given an upgraded room, which we had asked for. It was on the ground floor under the stairs next to the laundry room and vending machines. Yikes!!! We were fearing the worst, noise-wise, but was pleasantly surprised by the room's soundproofing, so noise wasn't an issue. However, if and when we return we will try and get a room towards the back and on the 2nd floor. The parking lot was very full, and has been mentioned on here, the parking spaces are tiny. We have a very small car but it was still a tight squeeze. As many have also mentioned, the grounds are very lovely, with beautiful flowers everywhere and the place is kept very clean. Our room was spacious enough, as it was designed for handicap/disabled accommodation. They had nice white planation shutters on the window, a flat screen TV, a mini fridge, an in-room coffee maker that made delicious coffee, a wall-mount blow dryer, a closet with an ironing board and iron, luggage bench and nice, high quality hangers. In fact, I was very impressed with the little touches and amenities for an older, budget-priced motel. I have uploaded photos so you can see for yourselves. Everything was very clean, which is the number one priority for me and my family.The beds were comfortable, and the pillows soft and thick. However, I did not have a good night's sleep because at midnight the clock radio alarm went off! I thought I would have a heart attack! I didn't want my family to wake up, so I jumped out of bed and tried frantically to press buttons in the dark to no avail, so I had to reach around behind the bedside table in a very narrow space to pull out the plug, and hurt my hand. Of course, after that I couldn't go back to sleep until almost sunrise - and we had a full day at C.A. ahead of us! My advice to you, at this or any hotel, if there is an alarm clock, unplug it before you got to bed! We used the shuttle to take us over to the main gates in the morning after we had the light breakfast that they offer. That was very convenient. However, it is VERY misleading when reviewers claim the park is 8-10 minute walk or less. Dont' believe them! Yes, it is next door to the Disney complex on the same side of the street, but the Disney parking lot/bus/tram area is huge and goes on forever. We chose to walk back at night because we had missed the shuttle, and it was cold. My foot was hurting and I was exhausted. It took at least 15 minutes to walk there. And wouldn't you know the sprinklers were on for part of the walk back, and we had to dodge those. All in all, we had a fun time, and the room was very good value when you consider the Inn's location and price. It was also neat to see all the different out of state license plates in the parking lot - even from as far away as Canada! The Candy Cane Inn has become an Anaheim legend, and its reputation for comfortable, convenient accommodations at reasonable prices has spread far and wide, thanks in no small part to internet web sites like Tripadvisor. We hope to return during the summer, and stay here again, next time a little bit wiser! P.S. As a new guest, we were given a voucher for $10 off our next stay! A great incentive!

Room Tip: Unplug or check the clock radio alarm!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for allowing us the opportunity on your visit in March and we appreciate your feedback and recommendations. I have shared your comments with our management team and I am so very sorry that your alarm clock awoke you in the middle of the night. Please contact me when planning your next visit as it would be my pleasure to assist with rates and reservations. Kind regards!
Vallejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had a great time at the Candy Cane Inn for our granddaughter's 4th birthday. Check in was delightful and we were able to check in 2 hours early. I do not understand the bad reviews. the carpet was clean in our premium room and the staff was always kind and thoughtful. The pool and jacuzzi was fantastic. Our breakfast great and brought to our room in the cutest basket. There was no noise that was bothersome and we slept well in our comfortable beds. We are loving (at this very moment) lounging in our room after 3 days of walking through the parks. We used the shuttle almost very time. It was always on time. Thank you Candy Cane Inn.

Room Tip: Loved the premium room for the amenities such as breakfast brought to room, late check out, 2 waters...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jeff H, General Manager at Candy Cane Inn, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your comments with fellow TripAdvisor travelers. We appreciate our guest’s feedback and strive to provide the utmost in product and customer service. Yes, many guests enjoy the Premium Rooms and the amenities they offer. Please give my birthday wishes to your granddaughter! Kind regards!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is a very cute little hidden gem next to Disneyland. We stayed here for my birthday in February. The rooms were comfortable and very clean. The service was great. Everyone was very friendly. I love the landscape, it is very well taken care of. We didn't have any problems with noise from the outside as others had stated they did. We walked and took the candy cane inn bus over to Disneyland. The breakfast was plentiful. They had all sorts of breads and bagels, cream cheese, yogurts, fruit, cereal, coffee, and juices. The price is very budget friendly. Would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Suggest a quiet room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jeff H, General Manager at Candy Cane Inn, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments with fellow TripAdvisor travelers. We appreciate your business and our team certainly cares about our guests and property. Kind regards!
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We have stayed at Candy Cane 8 times in the last 10 years and have loved it every time. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. It is very close to the entrance to Disneyland with their own shuttle, which is a huge advantage. I have never heard anyone next door which is my pet peeve, very quiet. The only negative I have to say was the check in. Angel did not look us in the eye when we came in and barely looked at us through the whole process, we did not feel welcome and there definetly was not the disney vibe present.We all walked away feeling a little disappointed. Other than that it was a great stay. Maybe a little reminder this is a hospitality business is in order.
The price is getting a little steep also, if it keeps going up we may have to look elsewhere unfortunately..we paid 149.00 a night.

Room Tip: We always choose the second floor to avoid overhead noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so very much for being a loyal repeat guest and we do appreciate and listen to your feedback. Being a return guest please make sure that you bring your Rewards Certificate that is given at checkout so you capture the discount if returning within the next year. Please feel free to contact me when returning as it would be my pleasure to assist with rates and reservations. Kind regards!
Dublin, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

A very odd name for this motel. I consider it a motel because you park in front of your room. The staff was very friendly and you can purchase anything from their gift shop at normal prices. We bought water, suntan lotion and food at a very reasonable price compared to if you were to purchase them in the Disneyland park. For example, water was $2.00 compared to $6 in the park. When we walk into the room it was clean but has a little musty smell from the air conditioner. There was a fridge to put any food we packed or bought from the array of restaurants or convenience store right next door. They serve a continental breakfast of fruits, cereal, breads and drinks in the morning. Tip to you.......bring the tray from the room to allow you to bring the food back with you if you don't want to eat there. Another down side was the carpet had stains on them. When I brought this to the attention of the front desk, all he did was say "sorry" but no notes to have them cleaned for the next guest. My wife did not take her shoes off in the room. Another odd thing was the cleaning maid. All hotels I have stayed in require them to keep the door open while they are in the room. Here they walk in and close it behind them.
Overall, it was a nice stay but would probably stay at a hotel across the street from the park if they offered the same rates. Go for the rates, the free breakfast and food you can bring with you to the park and location, location, location.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor so you are not bothered by cars driving around.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for allowing us the opportunity on your recent visit and I am sincerely apologetic that our front desk agent appeared uninterested in your comments as this is certainly NOT the issue and we appreciate and welcome guests feedback. In regards to our closing the door when in the room, this is done to protect the personal items of the guest (as well as themselves) as the attendant may be in the restroom cleaning and not hear someone entering the room. I am not sure if you noticed that a card in hung on the door handle stating that someone in the room. And yes, the trays in the room are intended for use at our Expanded Continental Breakfast. Kind regards!
Canada, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I planned to follow the recommendations and go to this inn.
I found it hard to find (with my GPS) for some reason.
The lady quoted me room-rates, which were much higher "because of a convention".
So what!!!
We had nothing to do with the convention, so why should I get charged a way higher rate?
There was no convention anywhere else.
I also asked about "the standard rates" and she quoted prices considerably higher than the rates other people posted in their reviews on this site.

Room Tip: find better value elsewhere
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments; I have attempted to contact you through TripAdvisor with no response however wanted to respond. We cannot locate a reservation of your visit based on information you have provided here. In regards to rates, our rates are published as other properties noting the lowest and highest rates based on room type, occupancy levels, availability and season of the year. Kind regards.

Been to Candy Cane Inn? Share your experiences!