“Great rooms, however...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Anabella

You added The Anabella to your Saves list
The Anabella
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1030 W. Katella Avenue, Anaheim, CA 92802 (Formerly Anabella Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #48 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
California
“Great rooms, however...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This hotel was really nice! I looked at reviews on Tripadvisor before staying here and people had commented on the free breakfast and free parking, so I went for it. It was expensive, but I got a good deal through Expedia. Our room was beautiful; spacious, clean, and the beds were very comfortable. There weren't a lot of T.V. channels, however my husband realized that when you type in the numbers (rather than the channel arrows) there were more channels. Also, it was nice to have the slippers and robes in the room. The shower was awesome too! Now for the "howevers". We went down for the "free" breakfast and were directed to the restaurant that was in the hotel. We did not see your typical continental breakfast, only this restaurant. We were confused, and thankfully, Garrett was there to help us. He told us that only certain rooms included the free breakfast. We were not told any of this upon check-in. Garrett went, checked for us, and came back with the good news that we had a room that did include the free breakfast. He handed us these little cards to redeem for the breakfast. At this point, we didn't have a lot of time left, so we went to the To-Go window. The hostess told us that our breakfast consisted of our choice of potatoes, eggs, bacon and toast or danish and fruit. When I inquired about cereal, we were told that cereal was not on the continental breakfast menu and would cost us; I found that weird being that it's way less maintenance then the hot breakfast, but anyway...We waited a long time for our breakfast and people who ordered after us got their food first; a little frustrating being that I was REALLY anxious to get to Disneyland!!!! So, when you book, make sure you ask about the free breakfast! Also, when we checked out, we were charged $28 for parking. That sucked, knowing that the Best Western right next door (where we stayed last time) had free parking. I was also a little put out because reviews on Tripadvisor stated free parking at this hotel, so I would also ask that when booking. Those are my only complaints. The hotel was nice and the people were very friendly. Garrett was most helpful and made us feel very valued as costumers. The walk to Disneyland from this hotel is very pleasant, as you get to walk through the Grand California Hotel and enter in the middle of Downtown Disney. It takes about 15-20 minutes to walk to the main gate.

Room Tip: Just check that you have the free breakfast.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AnabellaManager, Manager at The Anabella, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Sleepyhollow420,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor! We are so glad to hear you found our rooms beautiful, spacious and clean.

We are sorry for the confusion you had with the breakfast vouchers. Our breakfast vouchers are provided at check-in with our Concierge rooms and I sincerely apologize you did not receive them. Unfortunately because of the way the breakfast program is run there are no substitutions allowed for the vouchers and we are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Our restaurant also does have the to-go window as well as a full menu and room service if our guests do not want to use their vouchers. We do have a parking fee that is advertised on our website with a price that we feel is competitive for the resort area. The Best Western right next door does charge $10 for overnight parking as advertised on their website as well. Being a resort area you will find if not all, most hotels do charge a separate parking fee. We chose to keep this parking fee out of the rate due to the amount of guests we have flying in and not utilizing a parking space.

Again Sleepyhollow420 we thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we hope to have you back soon.

All the best,

Jennifer Silva
Front office Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I don't understand any of the bad and negative reviews I read about this hotel. My family and I just got back from a 6 day stay here and we loved every thing about this hotel. It is charming, the grounds are well maintained, the pools are beautiful and the concierge service is top notch. Our concierge room was modern, clean, the beds are wonderfully comfortable and house keeping kept it very clean every day. The towels are not sandpaper like I read, they are soft and the bed linens are silky soft. We had family come and join us and stayed for one night and they fell in love with The Anabella in one day. They had a basic room with a big bed and a daybed and their room was clean and wonderful, they loved it. I asked for a quiet room for me and my family and got one, it was super quiet and we were never disturbed by any outside noise, in fact we never heard anyone around us. The outdoor patio at the restaurant is beautiful and the lobby is warm and inviting.

The location of this hotel is fantastic. The bus stop for every bus you can take in Anaheim is just to the left of the lobby and we were able to get around to anywhere we wanted to go from that bus stop from the Parks to the Airport to Angel Stadium. We chose not to walk to the Parks, the #9 ART took us right there.

The only thing I suggest is that management need to do something about the complimentary breakfasts. Please improve this!! We had the free breakfast for only three days and decided to go to Coco's for the rest of the week because the free breakfast arrives cold, eggs are so undercooked and the toast is just cold bread really. One time we had to wait 30 minutes for ours while people that came in after us were getting theirs before us. Yes it's free but that doesn't mean that guests should get a poor quality, cold breakfast. Coco's is reasonably priced and we loved their food, we ate their for breakfast and supper. To give breakfast credit though you can use the coupons for the free continental breakfast which is coffee, a fruit cup and a muffin which is all delicious. Pay just a little more and get the yogourt cup which is yummy!

I would go back to The Anabella over and over again and I would tell family and friends to go stay there as well. I would never tell family and friends to stay at a hotel I thought was bad so trust me when I say this is a great hotel and I'm so glad we chose to stay here. After very long days at the Parks we couldn't wait to get back to our room to relax, it felt just as good as coming back to your own home. We had great, very restful sleeps, the concierge staff made phone calls for us, arranged travel plans for us, got us baseball tickets, Cory you rock. Again, I don't understand the haters of this place, it's not the Ritz but to us it sure felt like it to us!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear readsreviews,

Thank you for your detailed review! We appreciate all your great comments regarding our hotel and are also grateful for the constructive feedback regarding our Tangerine Grill’s complimentary breakfast. This review will be forwarded to the restaurant management.

We are so happy to hear you would come here again and again and that you would recommend us to your family. We love to hear nothing more than you felt at home at our hotel. Again thank you for taking the time to review and we hope to have you back soon!

All the best,
Jennifer Silva
Front Office Supervisor
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Initially we were placed in a room right at the front of the hotel. There was a dripping/tapping noise that kept us awake the first night, the traffic sound is also crazy at the front of the hotel.

In the room it was overall good however in need of some maintenance, the power point in the bathroom was loose and the wooden window frame in the bathroom beginning to rot.

We were moved to another room after the first night, though to be honest the concierge who swapped the rooms did not seem to want to know what the issue with the original room was, every time I tried to explain it she cut me off. The replacement room served us well for our remaining four nights.

The Tangerine restaurant and bar was ridiculous, be prepared to be ignored when you go for breakfast, there seemed to be two different crews working however when one of them was on they would walk past the tables of waiting customers without asking if you were ready etc, it took a visit to the lady seating tables to actually get them to come out on one occasion, on the other that this happened were were in a rush so simply walked out.

When my partner booked a tour of LA the concierge continually tried to get him to use a company other than the one he had selected, eventually the correct tour was booked.

Overall I would recommend this hotel however do not expect great or even good service. It is close to Disneyland at only a 15 minute walk.

Room Tip: If possible ask for a room not on the main road, you will find sleep difficult if you are on the mai...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Next to two family restaurants. This hotel has a really nice main entrance but the hotel is like a motel setup with only two floors. The room is just what you need with a soft bed and sheets. The person that checked us in and out was awesome! We got an early check in at 9:30 with the fee waved. Only downside is one of the bell hop men gave us the wrong directions to Disneyland that cost time because we walked. He told us to take a short cut through a Disney hotel but it was only reserved for Disney resort guests. But all of the staff at Anabella were very friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and brother in law and I stayed for 3 nights at this hotel and enjoyed it very much. The grounds were well manicured and inviting. The restaurant and poolside lounge/bar were both sophisticated and enjoyable. The hotel rooms were clean and spacious, offering very comfortable linens and pillows on the soft beds. It is within walking distance to Disney's many accommodations as well as other restaurants. The staff was friendly and prompt. Overall this is the place to stay when you go to Anaheim. Best of all, one of the reservation liaisons, Julie Perez, was extremely helpful and friendly. She went above and beyond her responsibilities and assisted me with everything I needed to make my second reservation at the Annabella Hotel within the year. You often don't come across employees that extend their services the way that Julie Perez did and it is so refreshing to have her work in my favor. She got us a fantastic deal on the room we stayed in previously and I thank her very much, as well as the Annabella Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in May!

• Stayed July 2012
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Our room was okay. We were quite happy to have a separate room with another bed. Our stay didn't start off great as one of the girls from concierge directed us to the wrong section of rooms. Luckily we realised before unpacking all of our bags. Having to pay $10 a day for wi-fi is ridiculous but we needed it to keep in contact with everyone from back home. Tried ordering room service one night as we thought the prices were cheap but after taxes, room service charge etc. it turned out to be expensive. Food didnt take too long and the guy that brought it to our room was lovely but we ended up not being able to eat everything we bought as it really wasn't very nice. Also, don't think we should have had to pay so much for parking (if anything) as it is pretty much a motel with parking in front of all the rooms and it should just be a given that you can park. The WORST thing is that you can hear absolutely everything from the rooms above. On our first night at about midnight we were kept awake by someone above walking around and, what sounded like, moving luggage. I have read the other responses from the hotel on other reviews and I don't think the answer of 'you should just ask for a room on the top floor' is an adequate fix.
Don't go to the salon/spa. Although the prices were okay they weren't very friendly and the lady that did my nails sat there for a long time talking to someone on her mobile phone in her own language and I felt like me being there was interrupting her.
Having said all of that, there is a shuttle pretty much just outside the hotel which is only $5 for a 1 day pass and takes you right into Disneyland which is great. It is walking distance but probably a little far to walk home after long day of walking around the theme parks. All of the staff that we spoke to (minus the girl that checked us in) were extremely friendly and always gave us a big smile whenever we walked past them!

Good location and really friendly staff. If the noise and having no free wi-fi doesn't bother you then it wouldn't be too bad to stay here. I think it just depends on everyone's personal experiences.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top level. Surely that would minimise the sounds you can hear from other rooms...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

It's about a 10 min walk to the parks and very close. So close you can watch the fireworks( and hear them) from the hotel. It's basic but if you are like us you only need a place to shower and sleep so it works. Don't get the breakfast deal. It was no worth it unless you eat in the restaurant and order more food. Portions are tiny. ( We waited 45 min for food at the "to go" and we still got the wrong order)

Recommend this hotel to anyone who needs a place to sleep and relax after a 12 hour disney day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Anabella? Share your experiences!