“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Anabella

You added The Anabella to your Saves list
The Anabella
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1030 W. Katella Avenue, Anaheim, CA 92802 (Formerly Anabella Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Internet
Ranked #48 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
Bakersfield, California
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I can't say enough positive things about our recent stay at the Anabella in Anaheim. My family and I made our trek to Disneyland and thought the location of this hotel would meet our needs. It more than met our needs and exceeded our expectations.
From the moment we made our way onto the property, the staff were attentive, friendly and gracious. From the Front Desk Clerk to the Cleaning Staff, we found the team to be exemplary in serving our family. The room was clean, well appointed and even quieter than our stay at one of the Disney Properties last year. While the walk to the Park's entrance was approximately 10 minutes, we still found it more convenient than the Disney parking.
We would chose to stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my family and couldn't say one bad thing about the place. We had a small issue in our first room and they immediately put us in the concierge suite. The front desk people were so friendly and helpful, the door men were awesome and always so polite, and the concierge was amazing. Anything we needed including directions or information, they treated us like we were the I only guests in the hotel. It has a beautiful view of the weekend fireworks at Disneyland also. I highly recommend the Annabella hotel. :)

• Stayed February 2013
Berkeley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Checked in at 1:30 a.m. after a long drive to Anaheim. Front desk clerk was very nice and the lobby was beautiful. I was expecting a lovely night. Was given a room at the far end of the compound (#10106). The room was very disappointing. Furniture was scuffed and armoire doors were hanging at an angle. The deadbolt was swinging down from the door off its remaining screw. The wallpaper in the sink area was buckling off the wall and the ceiling stained and chipped. The carpet was stained and the paint on the door jamb was scratched. It was so late and we were too tired to trek all the way back to the lobby to ask for another room. But I was furious. This is a Disney "Good Neighbor" hotel, and as such I expected much more. I used miles to pay for the room but still the price would have been about $150. Really bad. Unfortunately my iPhone had to restore to factory setting before I could download the pictures.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room and be prepared to ask to be moved.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
AnabellaManager, Manager at The Anabella, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Ben G,

We appreciate your candid review of our hotel. Your comments and concerns have been taken into consideration and we have begun to perform “perfect maintenance” on this particular room. It is our goal to have all of our room at the highest quality you deserve.

Please reach out to me directly the next time you find yourself in the Anaheim Resort as I would like to have you back for a future visit. With 14 different room types, I am sure there is the perfect room for you at the Anabella Hotel & Resort.

Brandon Jemison
714-905-1050
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Recently stayed at the Anabella with my grandchildren. The rooms were tastefully decorated, and the children's bunk beds were great! I wish I could give it five stars, but our room cost far more than the price given when we made our reservations. Also, at check-in I was whisked over to a concierge who I thought was going to fill me in on the amenities at the hotel. Instead I was given a ticket for a free breakfast at a neighboring hotel if I would listen to a spiel about a time share, which she promised would only take an hour and a half. She was rather pushy, and I thought it was a bit strange since we mainly came to enjoy Disneyland. I also wish there would have been a microwave in the suite rooms.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

After reading all the bad reviews here prior to my trip, I was compelled to write a review immediately after my return. We just returned from a 4 night stay at the Anabella (March 9 - 13) and I can personally say, I would recommend it to a friend. Of course, I would make that friend (and the hotel) aware of a few things!
Overall the Anabella is a great place for families that are looking for a hotel suite and not a tiny hotel room. We had a "Mission Suite" room 1208 that consisted of a king size bed, pull out couch (that could sleep 1 person) and a separate room that had a day bed (again for 1 person, maybe 2 small children). Be advised that the separate room is the size of a walk in closet, so don't expect to do much in there but sleep and watch tv. My two kids enjoyed having their own space.
For anyone who is looking for a hotel with a lobby and long fancy hallways, be advised that the Anabella is setup more like a motel with each room accessible from the outside. I don't know what that "formal" definition is of a motel, but to me, if I can park outside my room and access it from outside - that's a motel. Prior to our trip I didn't really see any good photos showing this, but was glad to have read about it before we got there.
The condition of the hotel room was good but it's beginning to show its age already. As other reviews have noted, we had peeling wallpaper all over our room, water stains in the bathroom, and furniture that has been roughed up and the finish rubbed away in some places. Again, not terrible, but didn't give me that "newly remodeled" feeling either.
Some laughable things:
1. The towels and linens in the room are "microchipped" so you don't steal them. There is a sign making you aware of this. I think money would have been better spent on new towels than on microchips and signs. The towels in our bathroom were thread bare and shrunken! I can't imagine anyone wanting to steal the towels unless they needed something to wash their car or floors with!
2. You are only given 1 packet of coffee for your coffee maker a day. I have never been anywhere where you don't get atleast 1 regular and one decaf and maybe a tea bag or two!

3.There is also only 1 AC unit for the suite, and it is right next to the king size bed. We turned it on, but the person on that side of the bed was freezing and everyone else was hot! We also noticed the next morning that some black gunk had blown out of the AC unit. Housekeeping cleaned it up while we were away, but the next use AC blew out more black gunk. I don't want to think about what it could be.
4. You are charged $14 a night for parking, but good luck finding a parking space anywhere near your room! Our entire stay our car was parked on the otherside of the hotel. We had to go "visit it" to make sure it was still there! We were told that the hotel wasn't full and we would definitely have a space. I can't imagine what its like when the hotel is full! For $14 I should be able to park infront of my room or atleast my building!
We were also disappointed in the condition of the King bed in the room. I know we should have notified that Anabella after our first nights sleep, but given being away at Disney all day, we just ended up crashing. The bed totally sagged in the middle, I kept rolling into the middle all night long and then rolling myself back up to the side. In an effort to get atleast some sleep, my husband and I had to sleep widthwise across the bed! It was really in a sorry state, I'm just glad to be back to my own bed right now!
The Anabella is really in a good location, and definitely within walking distance to Disneyland. We walked everyday, and it took about 10 minutes cutting through the Grand Californian. It was an easy walk, and pretty when it was lit up at night. It really is as close as some of the Disney hotels! That was probably one of the best things about it, close to Disney at 1/2 the cost!
We also ate at Tangerine Grill one night. We were given a "kids eat free" with adult entrée coupon at check in, so on our last night we decided to eat there. The food was good, and actually less expensive than other nearby restaurants. We were surprised to find that we were only allowed 1 free kids entrée (one per check we were told although it was not printed on the coupon). Seems a little cheap and silly.
Be prepared for the "nickel and dime" charges as well. 9.95 for internet, 14$ a day + tax for parking, resort fee + tax on resort fee (must be fore the microchips?) and the usual taxes on top of taxes.
Overall the Anabella is a good place to stay that could be great if it were given some TLC! But the location can't be beat, and finding a hotel with suites in Disneyland isn't easy! So if you are going to stay there, rest assured, it's OK and from what I saw this week not as bad as some of the previous reviews.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are quieter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
AnabellaManager, Manager at The Anabella, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear MommyO2AZ,

On behalf of the Anabella Hotel & Resort, we want to thank you for recommending our property to your friends. The best form of advertisement is through word of mouth and there is no better way to review than through a detailed honest response. There are several hotels in the area and we truly want our guests to understand in great detail our layout and amenities. We try to offer as many services as possible such as our full service Tangerine Bar & Grill, Resort Pool & Quite Pool, gift shop, Bella Salon, and over 2,000 sq ft in meeting space. These amenities and services help to define us as a hotel but our dedicated Guest Service Team embodies the culture.

True, we are an exterior facing property in which vehicles can park in close proximity to their rooms. This typically works out in our guests favor but unfortunately not in your case. Please accept our sincere apologies for this and the poor condition of your bed. We pride ourselves on the quality of our beds & linens, which is typically where we receive some of our highest marks. Your room has been scheduled for “perfect maintenance” to be completed on any outstanding shortfalls it may have had.

We are constantly looking for better ways to exceed the needs of our guests and are genuinely open to suggestions. Overall- a great value, comfort, and premium service, in the ideal location for visiting the Anaheim Resort is our goal. Thank you again and we look forward to another opportunity to serve you and your friends.

Brandon Jemison
714-905-1050
Los Osos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The Annabella hotel proved to be the perfect family hotel when visiting Disneyland. It takes about 10 minutes to walk down a tree lined street and through a fantastic hotel lobby and you are in Disney downtown. The hotel provided us with a very large room (the "concierge" room) which had a king bed, a queen bed, a pullout sofa, bathroom and dressing area. Breakfast was wonderful. Staff are extremely helpful and friendly. Nice pool, also. Parking on site (we got a deal that included parking and breakfast). We were able to go to Disneyland in the morning, back to the room for afternoon naps for the kids, then back for the evening parades. Downey town has great restaurants and shops. I highly recommend the Annabella as a budget friendly and lovely hotel option if you are going to Disneyland.

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor, which was handy with luggage, and had a nice entry with a chaise an...
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were very excited upon reaching the Anabella as we had traveled from Canada with another family for our vacation. First problem, we booked the rooms in October for an end of February vacation and had asked for the rooms to be together as we have infants. The rooms were not together therefore we could not visit with the other family without having 9 people in a standard room since we couldn't leave the children alone.
Second problem, the rooms were disgusting. The picture posted on the website as a Traditional Room couldn't be farther from the truth! The rooms are dark, dingy and dirty. Our room had filthy carpet, wallpaper peeling off on every wall, smelled funny the bathroom was dark with paint peeling off of the ceiling, holes in the walls and the light fixture above the sink had no cover on it, it was just bare lights with wires hanging from it. The other room had hardwood, but it was old and dirty and had the same other problems that our room had.
I was able to peek in some of the other rooms on our floor and they were just as bad so I'm not sure where any of the nice rooms are.
The food at the Tangerine was okay, nothing fabulous and the front desk staff was not very familiar with the area, so not really helpful.
The plus sides - the beds were super comfy and the concierge and bellman were extremely helpful and friendly.
I will not stay here again as the proximity to the parks aren't great and with small children you have to take transit which ended up being another $20 for the adults and $5 for the kids. There are places right across from the DL entrance that are nicer and cheaper. Also, $10/day for wifi is ridiculous.
This was definitely not how I wanted to start our trip, with such disappointment, but we were able to make the best of it and enjoy our week despite the fact that I felt we had been severely ripped off for the hotel rooms.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Alana H,

Thank you for providing such an in depth review of our hotel. Your experience and the photos are the exact reason we are currently renovating our Solano Building. The room you stayed in is in need of some “TLC” and we hope to complete that room in the near future. I am sorry that you did not have the opportunity to stay in one our newly renovated rooms.

We always do our best to accommodate all requests. Great pride comes when we are able to grant all of our guest’s requests and make their overall vacation more enjoyable. Unfortunately, there are certain cases when we cannot fulfill a request especially, if the hotel is at capacity as we were during your visit. I’m confident that my staff did their best to meet your needs.

Please let me know if there is anything that can be done to retain you loyalty as we truly value your patronage.

Brandon J. Jemison
Assistant Front Desk Manager

Been to The Anabella? Share your experiences!